Welcome to your Green Bay Packers Online Community!

Since 2006, PackersHome has been providing a unique experience for fans.
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
12 Pages123>»
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline DakotaT  
#1 Posted : Monday, March 5, 2012 5:09:31 PM(UTC)
DakotaT

Applause Given: 640
Applause Received: 1,319

Am I just a dumbass, or would signing Carl Nicks from the Saints to play LG and sliding TJ Lang to center solve our anemic running attack? I would rather pay a 27 year old All Pro big bucks than a questionable pro bowl center big bucks.

Flame away.

Edited by moderator Thursday, February 21, 2013 11:48:47 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

UserPostedImage
Sponsor
Offline Wade  
#2 Posted : Monday, March 5, 2012 5:17:39 PM(UTC)
Wade

Applause Given: 645
Applause Received: 657

Originally Posted by: DakotaT Go to Quoted Post
Am I just a dumbass, or would signing Carl Nicks from the Saints to play LG and sliding TJ Lang to center solve our anemic running attack? I would rather pay a 27 year old All Pro big bucks than a questionable pro bowl center big bucks.

Flame away.

I actually think you have a good idea here.

Don't let it go to your head, though. You're still from North Dakota.
Big Grin

And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
Online nerdmann  
#3 Posted : Monday, March 5, 2012 5:37:15 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Applause Given: 2,383
Applause Received: 600

Originally Posted by: DakotaT Go to Quoted Post

Flame away.

Has Lang played C before? It does sound vaguely familiar. I'm all for it though if he could do it. I like Lang. I'm a Lang guy.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline porky88  
#4 Posted : Monday, March 5, 2012 5:58:07 PM(UTC)
porky88

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2012Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2013Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2014

Applause Given: 184
Applause Received: 348

Do you really want to get into a bidding war with Jerry Jones? Dallas is going all in on Carl Nicks, but in the perfect world, Nicks and Sitton would give the Packers the best guard tandem in football. Frankly, I think Nicks is the best guard in football and Sitton is obviously among the best. It makes sense, but once again, the Packers probably want to avoid a bidding war with Dallas. Chris Myers comes with a lot less fanfare, but he's a very reliable player, and signing him would probably be a more efficient move.
Offline TheKanataThrilla  
#5 Posted : Monday, March 5, 2012 6:17:31 PM(UTC)
TheKanataThrilla

Canada

Applause Given: 126
Applause Received: 91

I actually love the idea of going after Nicks. I know the Saints are really in a bad spot not having the ability to protect him and Drew. But... I hate going down this route, but does Nicks want to come to GB unless we open up the Brinks truck? I know that Ted doesn't want to overpay, but I really do question how many FAs want to come to Green Bay unless there is a big payday in it for them.
"Stumbling from one disaster to another" Lost Together (Blue Rodeo)
Offline Stevetarded  
#6 Posted : Monday, March 5, 2012 6:49:38 PM(UTC)
Stevetarded

Applause Given: 1
Applause Received: 63

I don't really think 8.5m/year is worth the difference between Nicks and Lang
blank
Offline TheKanataThrilla  
#7 Posted : Monday, March 5, 2012 7:29:25 PM(UTC)
TheKanataThrilla

Canada

Applause Given: 126
Applause Received: 91

Originally Posted by: Stevetarded Go to Quoted Post
I don't really think 8.5m/year is worth the difference between Nicks and Lang

Isn't Wells looking at around $8M as well? Not sure what dollar range Myers is looking for. I guess the question is whether it is better to pay top G money and have a below average C, or have an above average C, but a serviceable G.

"Stumbling from one disaster to another" Lost Together (Blue Rodeo)
Offline Stevetarded  
#8 Posted : Monday, March 5, 2012 8:31:04 PM(UTC)
Stevetarded

Applause Given: 1
Applause Received: 63

Originally Posted by: TheKanataThrilla Go to Quoted Post
Isn't Wells looking at around $8M as well? Not sure what dollar range Myers is looking for. I guess the question is whether it is better to pay top G money and have a below average C, or have an above average C, but a serviceable G.

I doubt he's looking for that much. Nick Mangolds contract which made him the highest paid C paid him avg 7m/year.
blank
Offline zombieslayer  
#9 Posted : Monday, March 5, 2012 8:42:00 PM(UTC)
zombieslayer

Applause Given: 778
Applause Received: 495

Originally Posted by: porky88 Go to Quoted Post
Do you really want to get into a bidding war with Jerry Jones? Dallas is going all in on Carl Nicks, but in the perfect world, Nicks and Sitton would give the Packers the best guard tandem in football. Frankly, I think Nicks is the best guard in football and Sitton is obviously among the best. It makes sense, but once again, the Packers probably want to avoid a bidding war with Dallas. Chris Myers comes with a lot less fanfare, but he's a very reliable player, and signing him would probably be a more efficient move.

Heh. This makes me think of 2005. Ted Thompson's not gonna spend big money on two Guards.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage

(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)

2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. Ted Thompson Mike McCarthy Aaron Rodgers
Offline porky88  
#10 Posted : Monday, March 5, 2012 10:12:38 PM(UTC)
porky88

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2012Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2013Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2014

Applause Given: 184
Applause Received: 348

Originally Posted by: zombieslayer Go to Quoted Post
Heh. This makes me think of 2005. Ted Thompson's not gonna spend big money on two Guards.

Except that, Myers is coming off a Pro Bowl caliber season. He’s a far superior player to Adrian Klemm and Matt O’Dwyer. I think it’s 2006. Remember, Ted Thompson signed Marquand Manuel (bust), Charles Woodson (hit), and Ryan Pickett (hit) that off-season. I’m not suggesting he’ll break the bank for big name players, but I think Green Bay is going to be active. My spider sense is just tingling for whatever reason.

thanks Post received 1 applause.
evad04 on 3/5/2012(UTC)
Online nerdmann  
#11 Posted : Monday, March 5, 2012 10:58:46 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Applause Given: 2,383
Applause Received: 600

We really only "NEED" one player. We will get more, but we're not far from where we need to be, which is dominant on both sides of the ball.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline dhazer  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, March 6, 2012 6:19:42 AM(UTC)
dhazer

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2013Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2009PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Bronze: 2013

Applause Given: 45
Applause Received: 193

Originally Posted by: nerdmann Go to Quoted Post
We really only "NEED" one player. We will get more, but we're not far from where we need to be, which is dominant on both sides of the ball.

Umm are you saying the one player can play the whole defense? And why are people saying our running game is so bad, 4.2 and 4.3 yards per attempt is a bad running game? The problem is we didn't even attempt to run the ball. Our Average when you take away Rodgers is 4.07 what more do you guys want?

The top four had 315 attempts for 1281 yards. You take away the 30 attempts mostly short yardage for Kuhn and the average jumps to 4.22 yards.

But I guess those are only facts they don't matter, our running game sucked.

UserPostedImage

Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be :)
Offline Porforis  
#13 Posted : Tuesday, March 6, 2012 6:22:22 AM(UTC)
Porforis

United States

Applause Given: 168
Applause Received: 333

I don't know why people think our running attack is so terrible. It's not, it's above average.

What is more critical for our success, to run better or to keep Aaron Rodgers upright?
UserPostedImage
zombieslayer on 3/6/2012(UTC)
Offline Zero2Cool  
#14 Posted : Tuesday, March 6, 2012 6:33:48 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 1,870
Applause Received: 2,048

Originally Posted by: nerdmann Go to Quoted Post

Sweet, one player? What player is going to fix both the drops on offense and the piss poor tackling on defense? I say Packers should sign said player to a life time contract, NOW!
UserPostedImage
Offline Zero2Cool  
#15 Posted : Tuesday, March 6, 2012 6:38:57 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 1,870
Applause Received: 2,048

Originally Posted by: Porforis Go to Quoted Post
I don't know why people think our running attack is so terrible. It's not, it's above average.

What is more critical for our success, to run better or to keep Aaron Rodgers upright?

The running game is as good as it's ever going to get because the Packers do not run that often. Even Mike McCarthy has implied his run play selection is predictable.

Solidify the offensive line and the offense is just dandy.
Find some motivation for the defense as a whole to tackle better and the defense is just dandy.

I really only see two main problems with the Packers. Failure to catch in critical situations (e.g. first down opportunities) and the defense being soft at tackling. I think these two items can be improved during the off season.

I would say lack of pass rush is the Packers biggest issue on defense, but if they can't tackle, what's the point? lol
UserPostedImage
cheeseheads123 on 3/6/2012(UTC)
Rss Feed