Discussion Board
Welcome Guest! You can login or register. Login or Register.
9 Pages123>»

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
User is suspended until 5/28/2018 11:54:40 AM(UTC) DakotaT  
#1 Posted : Monday, March 5, 2012 5:09:31 PM(UTC)
Am I just a dumbass, or would signing Carl Nicks from the Saints to play LG and sliding TJ Lang to center solve our anemic running attack? I would rather pay a 27 year old All Pro big bucks than a questionable pro bowl center big bucks.

Flame away.
Wade  
#2 Posted : Monday, March 5, 2012 5:17:39 PM(UTC)
DakotaT said: Go to Quoted Post
Am I just a dumbass, or would signing Carl Nicks from the Saints to play LG and sliding TJ Lang to center solve our anemic running attack? I would rather pay a 27 year old All Pro big bucks than a questionable pro bowl center big bucks.

Flame away.

I actually think you have a good idea here.

Don't let it go to your head, though. You're still from North Dakota.
[grin1]

nerdmann  
#3 Posted : Monday, March 5, 2012 5:37:15 PM(UTC)

Flame away.

Has Lang played C before? It does sound vaguely familiar. I'm all for it though if he could do it. I like Lang. I'm a Lang guy.
porky88  
#4 Posted : Monday, March 5, 2012 5:58:07 PM(UTC)
Do you really want to get into a bidding war with Jerry Jones? Dallas is going all in on Carl Nicks, but in the perfect world, Nicks and Sitton would give the Packers the best guard tandem in football. Frankly, I think Nicks is the best guard in football and Sitton is obviously among the best. It makes sense, but once again, the Packers probably want to avoid a bidding war with Dallas. Chris Myers comes with a lot less fanfare, but he's a very reliable player, and signing him would probably be a more efficient move.
TheKanataThrilla  
#5 Posted : Monday, March 5, 2012 6:17:31 PM(UTC)
I actually love the idea of going after Nicks. I know the Saints are really in a bad spot not having the ability to protect him and Drew. But... I hate going down this route, but does Nicks want to come to GB unless we open up the Brinks truck? I know that Ted doesn't want to overpay, but I really do question how many FAs want to come to Green Bay unless there is a big payday in it for them.
Stevetarded  
#6 Posted : Monday, March 5, 2012 6:49:38 PM(UTC)
I don't really think 8.5m/year is worth the difference between Nicks and Lang
TheKanataThrilla  
#7 Posted : Monday, March 5, 2012 7:29:25 PM(UTC)
Stevetarded said: Go to Quoted Post
I don't really think 8.5m/year is worth the difference between Nicks and Lang

Isn't Wells looking at around $8M as well? Not sure what dollar range Myers is looking for. I guess the question is whether it is better to pay top G money and have a below average C, or have an above average C, but a serviceable G.

Stevetarded  
#8 Posted : Monday, March 5, 2012 8:31:04 PM(UTC)
TheKanataThrilla said: Go to Quoted Post
Isn't Wells looking at around $8M as well? Not sure what dollar range Myers is looking for. I guess the question is whether it is better to pay top G money and have a below average C, or have an above average C, but a serviceable G.

I doubt he's looking for that much. Nick Mangolds contract which made him the highest paid C paid him avg 7m/year.
zombieslayer  
#9 Posted : Monday, March 5, 2012 8:42:00 PM(UTC)
porky88 said: Go to Quoted Post
Do you really want to get into a bidding war with Jerry Jones? Dallas is going all in on Carl Nicks, but in the perfect world, Nicks and Sitton would give the Packers the best guard tandem in football. Frankly, I think Nicks is the best guard in football and Sitton is obviously among the best. It makes sense, but once again, the Packers probably want to avoid a bidding war with Dallas. Chris Myers comes with a lot less fanfare, but he's a very reliable player, and signing him would probably be a more efficient move.

Heh. This makes me think of 2005. Ted Thompson's not gonna spend big money on two Guards.
porky88  
#10 Posted : Monday, March 5, 2012 10:12:38 PM(UTC)
zombieslayer said: Go to Quoted Post
Heh. This makes me think of 2005. Ted Thompson's not gonna spend big money on two Guards.

Except that, Myers is coming off a Pro Bowl caliber season. He’s a far superior player to Adrian Klemm and Matt O’Dwyer. I think it’s 2006. Remember, Ted Thompson signed Marquand Manuel (bust), Charles Woodson (hit), and Ryan Pickett (hit) that off-season. I’m not suggesting he’ll break the bank for big name players, but I think Green Bay is going to be active. My spider sense is just tingling for whatever reason.

nerdmann  
#11 Posted : Monday, March 5, 2012 10:58:46 PM(UTC)
We really only "NEED" one player. We will get more, but we're not far from where we need to be, which is dominant on both sides of the ball.
dhazer  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, March 6, 2012 6:19:42 AM(UTC)
nerdmann said: Go to Quoted Post
We really only "NEED" one player. We will get more, but we're not far from where we need to be, which is dominant on both sides of the ball.

Umm are you saying the one player can play the whole defense? And why are people saying our running game is so bad, 4.2 and 4.3 yards per attempt is a bad running game? The problem is we didn't even attempt to run the ball. Our Average when you take away Rodgers is 4.07 what more do you guys want?

The top four had 315 attempts for 1281 yards. You take away the 30 attempts mostly short yardage for Kuhn and the average jumps to 4.22 yards.

But I guess those are only facts they don't matter, our running game sucked.

Porforis  
#13 Posted : Tuesday, March 6, 2012 6:22:22 AM(UTC)
I don't know why people think our running attack is so terrible. It's not, it's above average.

What is more critical for our success, to run better or to keep Aaron Rodgers upright?
Zero2Cool  
#14 Posted : Tuesday, March 6, 2012 6:33:48 AM(UTC)
nerdmann said: Go to Quoted Post

Sweet, one player? What player is going to fix both the drops on offense and the piss poor tackling on defense? I say Packers should sign said player to a life time contract, NOW!
Zero2Cool  
#15 Posted : Tuesday, March 6, 2012 6:38:57 AM(UTC)
Porforis said: Go to Quoted Post
I don't know why people think our running attack is so terrible. It's not, it's above average.

What is more critical for our success, to run better or to keep Aaron Rodgers upright?

The running game is as good as it's ever going to get because the Packers do not run that often. Even Mike McCarthy has implied his run play selection is predictable.

Solidify the offensive line and the offense is just dandy.
Find some motivation for the defense as a whole to tackle better and the defense is just dandy.

I really only see two main problems with the Packers. Failure to catch in critical situations (e.g. first down opportunities) and the defense being soft at tackling. I think these two items can be improved during the off season.

I would say lack of pass rush is the Packers biggest issue on defense, but if they can't tackle, what's the point? lol
Wade  
#16 Posted : Tuesday, March 6, 2012 9:06:58 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool said: Go to Quoted Post
Sweet, one player? What player is going to fix both the drops on offense and the piss poor tackling on defense? I say Packers should sign said player to a life time contract, NOW!

Chuck Bednarik.

(Now where is that time machine again?)
zombieslayer  
#17 Posted : Tuesday, March 6, 2012 10:09:09 AM(UTC)
Porforis said: Go to Quoted Post

If I have time today, I'll start a new thread what went wrong in 2011. And it comes down to only one thing - the pass rush sucked. Yes, THAT the big difference between 2010 and 2011.

Our running game is fine. Keeping Aaron Rodgers upright should be our #1 offensive priority. Keeping the other QB on his back should be our #1 defensive priority.
Zero2Cool  
#18 Posted : Tuesday, March 6, 2012 10:23:42 AM(UTC)
zombieslayer said: Go to Quoted Post
If I have time today, I'll start a new thread what went wrong in 2011. And it comes down to only one thing - the pass rush sucked. Yes, THAT the big difference between 2010 and 2011.

Our running game is fine. Keeping Aaron Rodgers upright should be our #1 offensive priority. Keeping the other QB on his back should be our #1 defensive priority.

I like the offensive/defensive priorities and agree. Do you think the Packers could have tackled the QB if they got more pressure? And what are we saying is pressure again? I was confused by this once before, lol.

QB Pressure is having a player flush him out of the pocket, right?
QB Sack is the QB being ... umm .. sacked.
QB Hurried is the QB in or out of the pocket throwing the ball without being able to set properly because of "pressure" from the defenses?

I thought the Packers had got into the face of the QB quite a bit last season? I think someone posted the numbers too. The actual sack total was something like 29 where as the prior season it was 47. I could have some digits wrong, but the point is, the Packers didn't sack the QB enough.

The lack of tackling still pisses me off, but yes, the lack of sacking the QB ~3 times per game hurt the Packers more than their inability to wrap up tackles. I suppose.
Yerko  
#19 Posted : Tuesday, March 6, 2012 12:36:17 PM(UTC)

Flame away.

I like this. I had the same thought of going after Nicks, except the line shuffling in a different order (which I know you will disagree with because I have posted this thought before). I said sign Nicks, bump Lang to RT and Bulaga to LT. Of course, this would only work if we were okay at C, which we aren't so your scenario sounds 10x better than mine. Either way, this would be a quality FA signing and would help the o-line greatly. I think it would be okay to open up the bank for a player like Nicks, he is a great player and he is young (27?).

nerdmann  
#20 Posted : Tuesday, March 6, 2012 5:26:43 PM(UTC)
According to Florio, the Packers biggest need is a replacement for Matt Flynn. Also says Ted should sign Levi Brown as a LT.
Rss Feed