Join Our Green Bay Packers Interactive Community!

We have been providing fans with the best source of Packers information since 2006!
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
7 Pages«<23456>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Packers_Finland  
#76 Posted : Friday, March 16, 2012 10:30:10 AM(UTC)
Packers_Finland

Applause Given: 88
Applause Received: 45

Now that Kamerion Wimbley is officially avaivable (although La Canfora broke the decision to cut him days ago), we should break the bank for this guy. Cut Clifton, and hand out as much money as he wants.

Matthews & Wimbley would be more dangerous than Peppers and Mario would've been.
This is a placeholder
thanks Post received 1 applause.
Since69 on 3/16/2012(UTC)
Offline Pack93z  
#77 Posted : Friday, March 16, 2012 10:40:17 AM(UTC)
Pack93z

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Bronze: 2012

United States

Applause Given: 400
Applause Received: 1,078

I don't think this is the year to spend big in FA.. I would not oppose a couple of smart thrifty signings that provide value and could plug some holes, but with the money thrown around at WR and sooner or later the Rodgers bill will need to be redone, we just don't have the logical space to throw around.

When Woodson comes off the books.. it will free up needed space, but that cat isn't close to done yet.

Code:
[b]     Base Salary     S. Bonus     Misc. Bonus     Cap Hit[/b]
2010     5,000,000     -      -     5,000,000
2011     7,850,000     -      2,050,000     9,900,000
2012     6,500,000     -      4,000,000     10,500,000
2013     6,500,000     -      -     -
2014     6,500,000     -      -     -

We have solid depth, young upcoming talent in many areas and we have a few of need.. I just don't see the type of FA out there that fills that need and fits within this cap structure. Maybe Kamerion Wimbley.. but that price tag is going to be steep.

Find the Mark Anderson/Andre Carter type of edge player, and mix them into the pass rush competition on the opposite edge of Matthews. Finding the pass rush from the downs is much tougher, and honestly, even a Langford type probably doesn't solve that by himself. IMO, we need to find a mix of players that can rotate in there and fill the position.

Couple that with more aggressiveness from Capers (him having confidence in them getting home) in the pass rush.. and I think we may provide that balance between pressure and coverage we had in 2010.. we are not built to be a stout stingy defense, we haven't invested the horses on that side of the ball to the extent needed. But we can return to being the opportunistic defense that creates havoc and gives the ball back and a very explosive offense.

That is our formula as the team is constructed.. in my eyes anyway.

I think when there's enough will and aggression, there's no shortage of talent either.

UserPostedImage
Offline cheeseheads123  
#78 Posted : Friday, March 16, 2012 10:47:05 AM(UTC)
cheeseheads123

Applause Given: 72
Applause Received: 120

Originally Posted by: Packers_Finland Go to Quoted Post
Now that Kamerion Wimbley is officially avaivable (although La Canfora broke the decision to cut him days ago), we should break the bank for this guy. Cut Clifton, and hand out as much money as he wants.

Matthews & Wimbley would be more dangerous than Peppers and Mario would've been.

I think Wimbley would be a very nice fit next to Matthews.
UserPostedImage
Offline cheeseheads123  
#79 Posted : Friday, March 16, 2012 12:13:40 PM(UTC)
cheeseheads123

Apparently Dolphins are interested in trading for DJ Williams.
Quote:
sounds like #dolphins could have interest in FA TEs like Dallas Clark or Joel Dreesen- also heard they could trade for #packers DJ Williams

UserPostedImage
Offline Pack93z  
#80 Posted : Friday, March 16, 2012 12:25:28 PM(UTC)
Pack93z

United States

Originally Posted by: cheeseheads123 Go to Quoted Post
Apparently Dolphins are interested in trading for DJ Williams.

They can be interested all they want.. with the injury to Quarless.. I don't know that it is logical for us to part with Williams and probably not get much back in return.
I think when there's enough will and aggression, there's no shortage of talent either.

UserPostedImage
Offline Pack93z  
#81 Posted : Friday, March 16, 2012 12:36:31 PM(UTC)
Pack93z

United States

Here is the type of flyer that we might partake in.. he would be fresh and we may get lucky on him for a year. Would be cost effective I would guess.. 78 career sacks in 9 years (10 in his last year), retired before the 2010 season. Played in 16 games a year except for one season (2008).

Big question.. can he rush from the edge? He more than likely would be a liability in coverage.

http://nfltraderumors.co...oming-out-of-retirement/

Quote:
Drayton Florence tweets that he spoke with DE Aaron Schobel recently and he mentioned that he’s considering coming out of retirement for just one-year.

It’s hard to say if you can put a lot of stock in this but it’s certainly an interesting idea. Schobel informed the Bills that he was considering retirement and Bills responded by releasing him. Instead of seeking a new contract, Schobel chose to call it a career despite the fact that he was only 31 at the time.

Message modified by user Friday, March 16, 2012 12:48:56 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

UserPostedImage
Offline Packers_Finland  
#82 Posted : Friday, March 16, 2012 1:32:36 PM(UTC)
Packers_Finland

Originally Posted by: Pack93z Go to Quoted Post
They can be interested all they want.. with the injury to Quarless.. I don't know that it is logical for us to part with Williams and probably not get much back in return.

With the injury to Quarless... dude we have 4 other healthy young tight ends. If we get something out of one of 'em, I say take it. There's probably not room for Finley, Quarless, D.J., Crabtree and Taylor again this year.
This is a placeholder
Offline Since69  
#83 Posted : Friday, March 16, 2012 1:46:42 PM(UTC)
Since69

Applause Given: 83
Applause Received: 83

Originally Posted by: Packers_Finland Go to Quoted Post

Yes. THIS!

Edit to add that Adam Schefter just tweeted that the Rams just reached a deal with Scott Wells...

Message modified by user Friday, March 16, 2012 4:53:05 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

UserPostedImage
Offline Nonstopdrivel  
#84 Posted : Friday, March 16, 2012 5:01:20 PM(UTC)
Nonstopdrivel

United States

Applause Given: 364
Applause Received: 263

I think it's hilarious every time a player from the Packers chases the big bucks to go play for a team that sucks. I don't know about you guys, but I loathe losing at ANYTHING, even a meaningless game of chess. I can't imagine wanting to play for a team that is most likely going to have a losing season, even it did pay me more, anymore than I would take an offer for higher pay with a company that had a reputation for a toxic work environment. I would get sick of losing fast and it would sap my passion for the game. I would far rather play for less money on a team that has great prospects and a positive environment, like the Patriots, Packers, or Ravens.
UserPostedImage
thanks Post received 1 applause.
porky88 on 3/16/2012(UTC)
Offline Since69  
#85 Posted : Friday, March 16, 2012 5:49:20 PM(UTC)
Since69

Applause Given: 83
Applause Received: 83

Aaaaaaand the Texans just re-signed Chris Myers...
UserPostedImage
Offline cheeseheads123  
#86 Posted : Friday, March 16, 2012 5:56:10 PM(UTC)
cheeseheads123

So as of now who is out starting center? EDS?
UserPostedImage
Offline gbguy20  
#87 Posted : Friday, March 16, 2012 6:16:05 PM(UTC)
gbguy20

Applause Given: 208
Applause Received: 285

there is a SHIT TON of centers on the market right now.
call me Dan
Offline Packers_Finland  
#88 Posted : Friday, March 16, 2012 6:47:32 PM(UTC)
Packers_Finland

Originally Posted by: gbguy20 Go to Quoted Post
there is a SHIT TON of centers on the market right now.

If we can't get Samson Satele then all that's left are backup quality players and dinosaurs like Saturday.
This is a placeholder
Offline Zero2Cool  
#89 Posted : Friday, March 16, 2012 8:05:42 PM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 1,968
Applause Received: 2,229

Scott Wells
3/16/2012: Singed a four-year, $24 million contract. The deal contains $13 million guaranteed. Another $1.5 million is available through incentives.

$6 million per year??
"I do not think there is any thrill that can go through the human heart like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything." - Nikola Tesla

UserPostedImage
Offline blueleopard  
#90 Posted : Friday, March 16, 2012 11:52:11 PM(UTC)
blueleopard

Applause Received: 72

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool Go to Quoted Post
Scott Wells
3/16/2012: Singed a four-year, $24 million contract. The deal contains $13 million guaranteed. Another $1.5 million is available through incentives.

$6 million per year??

That is cheap as heck for one of the best centers in the league.

Wells must have been butt-hurt about something. Either that or Ted Thompson wants his guys and only his guys.
Danreb Victorio A Believer of Greg Jennings
Offline Zero2Cool  
#91 Posted : Saturday, March 17, 2012 7:02:40 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 1,968
Applause Received: 2,229

JSOnline is saying it's six years for $24 million, but I think they are in error.

JSOnline wrote:
Update: According to the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, the deal is worth $24 million over six years with $13 million guaranteed.
"I do not think there is any thrill that can go through the human heart like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything." - Nikola Tesla

UserPostedImage
Offline cheeseheads123  
#92 Posted : Saturday, March 17, 2012 8:18:06 AM(UTC)
cheeseheads123

4 yr, $24M ($13M guaranteed) for Scott Wells.

4 yr, $25M ($14M guaranteed) for Chris Meyers.
UserPostedImage
Offline buckeyepackfan  
#93 Posted : Saturday, March 17, 2012 8:39:28 AM(UTC)
buckeyepackfan

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2012Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2014

Applause Given: 355
Applause Received: 457

Wells to St. Louis, Clifton a big ?, prob done, Sherrod a ?,

I hope ted has a plan, (sure he does), as of right now, A. Rodgers may be running for his life.

Wells for 6 mil a year, IMHO Ted should have been able to match that.

Oh well, time to sit back and see what developes.
Enjoy the ride – It kicks and just keeps on kickin’. "Stats are for Losers"
Offline dhazer  
#94 Posted : Saturday, March 17, 2012 8:45:17 AM(UTC)
dhazer

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2013Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2009PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Bronze: 2013

Applause Given: 49
Applause Received: 203

Originally Posted by: buckeyepackfan Go to Quoted Post
Wells to St. Louis, Clifton a big ?, prob done, Sherrod a ?,

I hope ted has a plan, (sure he does), as of right now, A. Rodgers may be running for his life.

Wells for 6 mil a year, IMHO Ted should have been able to match that.

Oh well, time to sit back and see what developes.

This is reminding me of the Seattle team Ted Thompson and Holmgrem built in Seattle, they did good until their big name players started wanting big contracts and were let go elsewhere. Get ready folks it is starting already. I will admit Ted Thompson is good at building a team thru the draft but he is unproven on building a dynasty.

UserPostedImage

Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be :)
Offline cheeseheads123  
#95 Posted : Saturday, March 17, 2012 8:48:12 AM(UTC)
cheeseheads123

Rams sign Langford
UserPostedImage
Offline cheeseheads123  
#96 Posted : Saturday, March 17, 2012 8:58:35 AM(UTC)
cheeseheads123

Packers reached out to Wimbley
UserPostedImage
Offline Wade  
#97 Posted : Saturday, March 17, 2012 8:59:55 AM(UTC)
Wade

Applause Given: 684
Applause Received: 717

The Wells signing remind anyone of Jenkins' signing last year?

Last year everyone echoed the Packer party line that they couldn't afford to afford to overpay for Jenkins. And Jenkins ended up signing with Philly with a deal that was nowhere near "breaking the bank."

Now this year, the Packers again want to avoid overpaying Wells. And he signs for a deal which isn't particularly rich by 2012 standards for interior linemen.

Sometimes I think Ted tries to make too extra good a deal, and misses opportunities as a result.
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
Offline lolleren  
#98 Posted : Saturday, March 17, 2012 9:08:48 AM(UTC)
lolleren

Applause Given: 7
Applause Received: 9

I for one is glad Ted didnt pay out 6 mill a year for Wells, I dont think he is worth that kinda of money and overpaying is a sign of desperation, we would most likely be able to get a servicable rookie center in rounds 3-5. There is still decent talent on the Center free agent market, though they all have questions, bring one in cheap short term and let them fight the draft choice for a starter spot.

The Kendall deal is also more that I would have expected Ted to pay out, but would have liked him as a rotational guy at maybe 3 mill a year.
blank
Offline nerdmann  
#99 Posted : Saturday, March 17, 2012 9:45:25 AM(UTC)
nerdmann

Applause Given: 2,713
Applause Received: 665

Originally Posted by: dhazer Go to Quoted Post
This is reminding me of the Seattle team Ted Thompson and Holmgrem built in Seattle, they did good until their big name players started wanting big contracts and were let go elsewhere. Get ready folks it is starting already. I will admit Ted Thompson is good at building a team thru the draft but he is unproven on building a dynasty.

Seattle went into the shitter when they GOT RID, of Ted Thompson.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline Stevetarded  
#100 Posted : Saturday, March 17, 2012 9:46:55 AM(UTC)
Stevetarded

Applause Given: 1
Applause Received: 63

Originally Posted by: dhazer Go to Quoted Post

It's starting already? Why didn't it start when guys like Jennings, Jordy, Sitton, and Tramon needed contracts?
blank
thanks Post received 3 applause.
nerdmann on 3/17/2012(UTC), Packers_Finland on 3/17/2012(UTC), Zero2Cool on 3/17/2012(UTC)
Rss Feed