Join Our Green Bay Packers Interactive Community!

We have been providing fans with the best source of Packers information since 2006!
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
12 Pages«<7891011>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline nerdmann  
#121 Posted : Monday, March 19, 2012 9:07:30 AM(UTC)
nerdmann

Applause Given: 2,627
Applause Received: 652

Originally Posted by: Nonstopdrivel Go to Quoted Post
I am always surprised at the bile and venom some of you spew against Favre. I don't like the guy -- he's not the kind of person I get along with, so he would rub me the wrong way on the screen or in real life. But while I find him irritating, some of you truly loathe the man. The vehemence with which you express it impresses me.

Are you saying that the notion of him deliberately throwing those interceptions is far fetched? Have you SEEN some of these interceptions? Do you think he purposely laid down for Strahan? Do you think he engages in questionable behavior off the field?
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline Yerko  
#122 Posted : Monday, March 19, 2012 9:29:20 AM(UTC)
Yerko

Applause Given: 152
Applause Received: 247

Really interested to see what moves Theodore Thompson makes here at center for us. No moves = the offensive line playing musical chairs again. Once Wells signed with the Rams, some Packers beat writers immediately jumped to say Lang can fill the void at center. WHY?

This is one thing I will always disagree with TT/MM on. Our offensive line switching spots all the time doesn't do them any favors and doesn't do 12 any favors. Lang at center is not the answer.

This is a way bigger gamble than letting Jenkins go.
UserPostedImage
Offline nerdmann  
#123 Posted : Monday, March 19, 2012 10:18:00 AM(UTC)
nerdmann

Originally Posted by: G-Force Go to Quoted Post
Really interested to see what moves Theodore Thompson makes here at center for us. No moves = the offensive line playing musical chairs again. Once Wells signed with the Rams, some Packers beat writers immediately jumped to say Lang can fill the void at center. WHY?

This is one thing I will always disagree with TT/MM on. Our offensive line switching spots all the time doesn't do them any favors and doesn't do 12 any favors. Lang at center is not the answer.

This is a way bigger gamble than letting Jenkins go.

If there's one guy who can move around, it's Lang.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline Rios39  
#124 Posted : Monday, March 19, 2012 11:42:24 AM(UTC)
Rios39

Applause Given: 1
Applause Received: 30

Jeff Saturday has a meeting set up with the Packers...Speculation though is that he will follow Manning to Denver so we'll see.
blank
Offline Pack93z  
#125 Posted : Monday, March 19, 2012 11:44:40 AM(UTC)
Pack93z

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Bronze: 2012

United States

Applause Given: 396
Applause Received: 1,073

Originally Posted by: Rios39 Go to Quoted Post
Jeff Saturday has a meeting set up with the Packers...Speculation though is that he will follow Manning to Denver so we'll see.

Lord I hope so.. his needle on the gas tank is clinking off the empty peg. This solves no issue for the Packers as I can see, and it will probably cost us too much as well.

Message modified by user Monday, March 19, 2012 11:54:53 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

I think when there's enough will and aggression, there's no shortage of talent either.

UserPostedImage
Offline nerdmann  
#126 Posted : Monday, March 19, 2012 11:54:47 AM(UTC)
nerdmann

Originally Posted by: Rios39 Go to Quoted Post

Too old for uncle Ted.
Offline Dexter_Sinister  
#127 Posted : Monday, March 19, 2012 12:09:39 PM(UTC)
Dexter_Sinister

Applause Given: 292
Applause Received: 266

While my opinion is not as "foil bonnet" as Nerds, I think the passing of Irv also had a big part in it. With no accountability between his passing and the time Thompson showed up, Favre was surrounded by enablers. Losing that angered Favre greatly. Nobody tells him no or they will have to pay. Which is why he tanked the '05 season.

When Favre said "don't fire Sherman or I will quit", and they did, he kind of lost it. He pushed Thompson to get Moss, who Favre really didn't care about, because he wanted an issue to walk out over. He actually left Green Bay, went back to Mississippi and told Cook to arrange the deal. Thompson refused to even discuss it. McCarthey had to go talk Favre down and ask him to come back. Favre did, but he still tanked the '06 season.

Having his "buddies" get hired in MN he probably figured he could go back to doing whatever he wanted to in Minnesota. Knowing that Thompson would never let him do that, Favre probably went to Chilly for advice. Between them and Cook, they hatched the escape plan. My reason for including Chilly is that Favre had a "change of attitude" where he worked really hard to have a good season. If he had the third consecutive season with a 70 rating, Chilly probably wouldn't be able to convince the Vikings to pick him up. Providing he could get out of his contract. Because he would appear washed up.

Having Thompson foil his plans by getting the exemption from the league was the last straw. Which is why Favre had to run to the Lions and "other teams" and decode his playbook for them. My guess is that it was Minnesota, because they were admittedly in talks with Favre at the time, and Chicago. Because that is where Favre would do the most damage. Nobody tells Favre what to do or he will make them pay.

Which is why Favre actually played fairly well in '09. He was so mad that he did all the things that the Packers told him to do when he rebelled.

I don't know if Favre threw the pick against the Giants in the NFCCG on purpose. He proved his point, he was cold and disinterested in the game. They were keeping it close in spite of Favre's disinterest. Favre could have just wanted to get it over with. So he floated up a duck to end the game. I don't know. But I wouldn't put it past him.

With a borderline personality disorder, Favre wouldn't need a lot of reason to want punish the Packers, Rodgers and Green Bay in general. Just saying no to him would have amounted to a life threatening insult. He would see sabotaging as an appropriate level of response for having been denied anything he wanted.

Nobody says no to him, that is just unthinkable. So he doesn't have an appropriate response to it. Whether it is the Packers or a married therapist he wanted to nail. He just doesn't understand when someone says no.

That "no" is all that was needed to set him on that path of distruction.
I want to go out like my Grandpa did. Peacefully in his sleep.

Not screaming in terror like his passengers.
Online Zero2Cool  
#128 Posted : Monday, March 19, 2012 12:11:46 PM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 1,953
Applause Received: 2,183

Peter King wrote:
Free agency: The idiotic part.
This is possibly the most over-covered week of anything we do in writing about the league, this first week of free agency. I knew it had gotten totally out of control on Saturday when Ralph Vacchiano of the New York Daily News tweeted: "Amazingly, I'm sensing angst among some Giants fans again about Jerry Reese's lack of offseason action.''

Reese is the general manager of the New York Giants. He has had the job five years. He is notoriously slow off the draw in free agency, and he is not alone. In recent years, noted GMs and personnel czars like Ted Thompson (Green Bay), Mickey Loomis (New Orleans), Kevin Colbert (Pittsburgh) and Bill Polian (Indianapolis) have let the free agency field settle down before going after players of moderate cost. In the last six seasons, those franchise architects -- Reese, Thompson, Loomis, Colbert, Polian -- have won every Super Bowl. Not saying the patient way is the only way to team-build, but come on. Reese did nothing big in 2007 and 2011 and won the Super Bowl both times.

Relax, people.
UserPostedImage
thanks Post received 2 applause.
Packers_Finland on 3/19/2012(UTC), wpr on 3/19/2012(UTC)
Offline Nonstopdrivel  
#129 Posted : Monday, March 19, 2012 12:12:46 PM(UTC)
Nonstopdrivel

United States

Applause Given: 364
Applause Received: 263

Originally Posted by: nerdmann Go to Quoted Post
Are you saying that the notion of him deliberately throwing those interceptions is far fetched? Have you SEEN some of these interceptions? Do you think he purposely laid down for Strahan? Do you think he engages in questionable behavior off the field?

I wasn't saying anything of the sort (though I do tend to take a dim view of conspiracy theories). I simply wasn't addressing that topic at all.

My point was that while Favre was still in Green Bay, and I was ranting and railing and cursing and caviling about Favre's fuck-ups and foibles, I felt like a lone voice in the wilderness. Then after Favre committed the apparently unforgivable and went to Minnesota, suddenly the venom spewed forth from his erstwhile fans. That is what has surprised me. If people felt like that about him before he left, they weren't very vocal about it -- or at least I never noticed.

Message modified by user Monday, March 19, 2012 12:53:50 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

UserPostedImage
Offline Dexter_Sinister  
#130 Posted : Monday, March 19, 2012 12:17:59 PM(UTC)
Dexter_Sinister

Originally Posted by: Nonstopdrivel Go to Quoted Post
I wasn't saying anything of the sort (though I do tend to take a dim view of conspiracy theories). I simply wasn't addressing that topic at all.

My point was that while Favre was still in Green Bay, and I was ranting and railing and cursing and caviling about Favre's fuck-ups and foibles, I felt like a lone voice in the wilderness. Then after Favre committed the apparently unforgivable and went to Minnesota, suddenly the venom spewed forth from his erstwhile fans. That is what has surprised me. If people felt like that about him while before he left, they weren't very vocal about it -- or at least I never noticed.

I was on Thompson and the Packers side when Favre tried to force his way back on the team.

I wasn't as against Favre when he retired, but when he came back, I was done. Then I looked into it farther and found a lot of material that I built a theory off of.

By the time he went to Minnesota, it was beside the point.

Offline Yerko  
#131 Posted : Monday, March 19, 2012 12:22:59 PM(UTC)
Yerko

Applause Given: 152
Applause Received: 247

Originally Posted by: nerdmann Go to Quoted Post
If there's one guy who can move around, it's Lang.

I'm not debating that he can't be moved around but holy crap, can we get some consistency with the offensive line? TJ Lang would be a MUCH BETTER (yes, he is good) lineman if he hasn't been moved so many times. Let him establish himself at one spot.

I trust Ted Thompson, like the majority here. Moving players along the offensive line though bugs me a bit more, whether the guy can play the position or not.

Lang can play center, fine. Who takes over at guard then?
UserPostedImage
Offline Dexter_Sinister  
#132 Posted : Monday, March 19, 2012 12:28:42 PM(UTC)
Dexter_Sinister

Originally Posted by: G-Force Go to Quoted Post
I'm not debating that he can't be moved around but holy crap, can we get some consistency with the offensive line? TJ Lang would be a MUCH BETTER (yes, he is good) lineman if he hasn't been moved so many times. Let him establish himself at one spot.

I trust Ted Thompson, like the majority here. Moving players along the offensive line though bugs me a bit more, whether the guy can play the position or not.

Lang can play center, fine. Who takes over at guard then?

EDS

Online Wade  
#133 Posted : Monday, March 19, 2012 1:10:12 PM(UTC)
Wade

Applause Given: 676
Applause Received: 695

OL OL OL!

Beating Deadhorse Beating Deadhorse Beating Deadhorse Beating Deadhorse Beating Deadhorse Beating Deadhorse

(just to remind everyone)

Asshole
Big Grin Flapper Big Grin
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
thanks Post received 1 applause.
Nonstopdrivel on 3/19/2012(UTC)
Offline Rios39  
#134 Posted : Monday, March 19, 2012 1:16:06 PM(UTC)
Rios39

Applause Given: 1
Applause Received: 30

The problem is right now we are in need of a center to replace what already was a decent strenght so we need to do that and then improve the garbage D Line with some serviceable starters. Last year we had 2 NFL quality starting DL and only ONE with the ability to get any sort of pass rush and that was our NT.

So, adding a center there is a huge priority but we also need to be aggressive with some of these DL's. Can't fix everything through a draft.
blank
Offline DakotaT  
#135 Posted : Monday, March 19, 2012 7:45:55 PM(UTC)
DakotaT

Applause Given: 661
Applause Received: 1,360

The Dolphins just realeased SS Yeremiah Bell. Any interest?
UserPostedImage
Rss Feed