Welcome to your Green Bay Packers Online Community!

Since 2006, PackersHome has been providing a unique experience for fans.
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Nonstopdrivel  
#1 Posted : Thursday, April 5, 2012 7:19:47 AM(UTC)
Nonstopdrivel

United States

Applause Given: 364
Applause Received: 263

If there is one thing I hate about this forum package -- besides its innumerable incompatibilities with Chrome, of course -- it's the implementation of BBCode tags on this board. On other boards, if you hit the UserPostedImage button, for example, a set of tags are inserted into the post and the cursor is positioned between the tags, allowing you to type or paste your text without having to reposition the cursor. In YAF, the cursor is positioned after the tags, necessitating a manual reposition of the cursor. I know this seems like a minor issue, but it really is a poor design choice and it hampers the workflow. I would think this should be a really simply code fix. At least, it would be in PHP, but I imagine this board isn't coded in PHP.Whistle
UserPostedImage
Sponsor
Offline Zero2Cool  
#2 Posted : Thursday, April 5, 2012 7:28:28 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 1,864
Applause Received: 2,032

At first, I thought you were bat shit crazy, but now I see what you're talking about. I've submitted the suggestion on the software's forum.

UserPostedImage
Click here and find the LATEST Packers News!
Offline Pack93z  
#3 Posted : Thursday, April 5, 2012 7:45:53 AM(UTC)
Pack93z

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Bronze: 2012

United States

Applause Given: 381
Applause Received: 1,027

My opinion.. it isn't a software problem, it is a development management problem.

From the little I have seen and researched of YAF.. being open source like they are and being IMO poorly managed as a collection.. they introduce code that is constantly stepping on other elements of the code.

Common issue with a wide range of coders compiling into a single source.. but over the course of PH run on the software, it appears that they are not learning from their struggles.. they are cycling them over and over.

I was caught in a ERP rollout nearly a decade ago with similar problems, it wasn't until the company rebuilt the development strategies and became more rigid in the development standards and processes that the software improved. Eight years later, the company has gotten the process refined into a very solid and fluid company.

Eight years.. but it took constant improvement over the course.. something that IMO, YAF isn't doing at this point.

I don't know their overall structure, but IMO, that is the root, not the language the platform is built upon.
I think when there's enough will and aggression, there's no shortage of talent either.

UserPostedImage
Offline Zero2Cool  
#4 Posted : Thursday, April 5, 2012 7:49:33 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Originally Posted by: Pack93z Go to Quoted Post
Common issue with a wide range of coders compiling into a single source.. but over the course of PH run on the software, it appears that they are not learning from their struggles.. they are cycling them over and over.

I've been pleased with the YAF software and don't have any complaints. What struggles are you referring to and what problems do you see? I'm asking objectively because maybe I'm just complacent since the thing fires up for me every day and I haven't gotten shut down for "Sending Spam", lol. That ordeal still gets my goat, err DONKEY!!

UserPostedImage
Offline Pack93z  
#5 Posted : Thursday, April 5, 2012 7:56:07 AM(UTC)
Pack93z

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Bronze: 2012

United States

Applause Given: 381
Applause Received: 1,027

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool Go to Quoted Post
I've been pleased with the YAF software and don't have any complaints. What struggles are you referring to and what problems do you see? I'm asking objectively because maybe I'm just complacent since the thing fires up for me every day and I haven't gotten shut down for "Sending Spam", lol. That ordeal still gets my goat, err DONKEY!!

It isn't a complaint.. it is more a observance of the issue cycle with each release.

IE.. when builds or updates are applied, features that were working snap. Example.. pop ups currently. Post notifications. those types of issues.

Not so much the core up time or functionality... it seems to be the add on modules/features that seem to be caught in the crossfire.

Mind you.. this is from a user perspective and not a admin one with looking at the actual site performance nor the code itself.
I think when there's enough will and aggression, there's no shortage of talent either.

UserPostedImage
Offline Zero2Cool  
#6 Posted : Thursday, April 5, 2012 8:04:00 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

United States

Originally Posted by: Pack93z Go to Quoted Post
It isn't a complaint.. it is more a observance of the issue cycle with each release.

IE.. when builds or updates are applied, features that were working snap. Example.. pop ups currently. Post notifications. those types of issues.

Not so much the core up time or functionality... it seems to be the add on modules/features that seem to be caught in the crossfire.

Mind you.. this is from a user perspective and not a admin one with looking at the actual site performance nor the code itself.

It appears the popup issue is more self inflicted. One of the core developers tried duplicating the issue and it looks like when I update the site core, it'll be resolved.

You may have noticed twice in the last week or two the site was down for an upgrade. This will continue to happen because we're not running the latest version of DNN and they feel the next upgrade is critical.

UserPostedImage
Offline Zero2Cool  
#7 Posted : Saturday, April 7, 2012 9:12:33 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

United States

done

thanks to the_watcha

UserPostedImage
Offline Zero2Cool  
#8 Posted : Saturday, April 7, 2012 9:12:35 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

United States

done

thanks to the_watcha

UserPostedImage
Offline Zero2Cool  
#9 Posted : Saturday, April 7, 2012 9:14:11 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

United States

oh noooo

UserPostedImage
Rss Feed