Discussion Board
Welcome Guest! You can login or register. Login or Register.
3 Pages123>

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
wils0646  
#1 Posted : Monday, August 25, 2008 11:49:55 AM(UTC)
http://www.packers.com/news/releases/2008/08/25/2/

Quote:
The Green Bay Packers have made five roster moves to reach the NFL-mandated 75-player limit of this week. Released were running backs DeShawn Wynn and Ryan Powdrell, along with wide receiver Chris Francies and offensive lineman Ryan Considine. Additionally, defensive tackle Justin Harrell has been placed on the reserve/physically unable to perform list. Ted Thompson, Executive Vice President, General Manager and Director of Football Operations, announced the transactions Monday.

Players on the reserve/PUP list cannot be placed on the active roster during the first six weeks of the season. After that time, they are eligible to practice with the club for up to three weeks. If a player is activated from the reserve/PUP list to the active roster, a subsequent roster move must be made to maintain the 53-man active roster limit.
Zero2Cool  
#2 Posted : Monday, August 25, 2008 11:53:22 AM(UTC)
Oh you big jerk you I was just going to post this! :)
twebdonny  
#3 Posted : Monday, August 25, 2008 12:00:58 PM(UTC)
Which means that Lumpkin may very well be a survivor.

I LIKE IT. For once I may be seeing it the Ted Thompson way, scary :whipitgood: isn't it?
gotarace  
#4 Posted : Monday, August 25, 2008 12:01:06 PM(UTC)
I think wynn will end up with another team that needs depth at back if he ever gets healthy. Hope Harrell regains his health as the packers are one injury from being very thin at nt.
PackOne  
#5 Posted : Monday, August 25, 2008 12:03:25 PM(UTC)
Haha Wynn, I knew it. I hope he comes around, a lot of talent to waste there.
johnny_blood  
#6 Posted : Monday, August 25, 2008 12:15:25 PM(UTC)
Justin Harrell, same as it ever was. This is really getting tiring.
buckeyepackfan  
#7 Posted : Monday, August 25, 2008 12:26:16 PM(UTC)
Look for Wynn and Francies both to be picked up on the practice squad.

Francies for sure, unless he has ran out of options.
Zero2Cool  
#8 Posted : Monday, August 25, 2008 12:37:15 PM(UTC)
It's not too surprising at all. Most teams release their players with NFL experience to allow them the courtesy of trying to latch onto another team. Getting rid of them quick like this gives another team the chance to drop a sixth person and pick up one of the other guys for the preseason of the game.
zombieslayer  
#9 Posted : Monday, August 25, 2008 1:02:09 PM(UTC)
" said: Go to Quoted Post

'Tis.

3 things you can count on in life:
1) you'll pay taxes,
2) you'll die,
3) Justin Harrell will be injured
TheEngineer  
#10 Posted : Monday, August 25, 2008 1:07:17 PM(UTC)
Was keeping, say, Scorpio Babers really more important than giving Wynn one finally chance during the 4th preseason game now that he's able to play? I don't know. I'm a bit perplexed.
Greg C.  
#11 Posted : Monday, August 25, 2008 1:10:15 PM(UTC)
Which means that Lumpkin may very well be a survivor.

I LIKE IT. For once I may be seeing it theTed Thompsonway, scary :whipitgood: isn't it?

The real battle is between Lumpkin and Morency for the #4 RB spot. Those are two players to watch in Thursday night's game. Noah Herron probably has the #3 job pretty much sewn up.
bigfog  
#12 Posted : Monday, August 25, 2008 1:39:19 PM(UTC)
Was keeping, say, Scorpio Babers really more important than giving Wynn one finally chance during the 4th preseason game now that he's able to play? I don't know. I'm a bit perplexed.

Looks like the team ran out of patience with Wynn, or just didn't see the commitment from Wynn to warrant keeping him on the team. I was a bit surprised, but we don't know what happens behind closed doors.
gotarace  
#13 Posted : Monday, August 25, 2008 2:11:23 PM(UTC)

Looks like the team ran out of patience with Wynn, or just didn't see the commitment from Wynn to warrant keeping him on the team. I was a bit surprised, but we don't know what happens behind closed doors.

With the running attack we have shown this preseason i wish they would have given wynn a chance to show what he has this year also. He will endup somewhere in the nfl.
zombieslayer  
#14 Posted : Monday, August 25, 2008 2:14:15 PM(UTC)

The real battle is between Lumpkin and Morency for the #4 RB spot. Those are two players to watch in Thursday night's game. Noah Herron probably has the #3 job pretty much sewn up.

He does. The #3 RB job belongs to Noah Herron.

He's a solid blocker, and can get us 4 yards a carry.
earthquake  
#15 Posted : Monday, August 25, 2008 2:32:27 PM(UTC)
Picking two from Herron, Morency and Blumpkin is going to be tough. Herron is easily the most consistent of the three, he's not flashy but he gets the job done. Mo is probably the best reciever, and best at blitz pickup which makes him a very good 3rd down back. And Blumpkin probaly has the most raw talent and potential out of the three, i could see him making the #4 slot just because of that. So i think its down to Herron/Morency for the #3.

If they can manage to keep Grant, Jackson, Herron, Morency and somehow hide Blumpkin on the PS, i think everyone wins. But i fear he may have shown too much this preaseason for that to happen. It will be interesting to see how the RB's fair in this last game.

Its a shame that there really isnt anyone on the roster you could say is a "goal-line" type back, they dont have a davenport type guy. Maybe Blumpkin could be someone they develope into that sort of role? He seems to really be able to fight for the yards.
Bigbyfan  
#16 Posted : Monday, August 25, 2008 2:49:31 PM(UTC)

With the running attack we have shown this preseason i wish they would have given wynn a chance to show what he has this year also. He will endup somewhere in the nfl.

Plus how many opportunities does a team have to have a name like Scorpio on your roster. :icon_smile:
Bigbyfan  
#17 Posted : Monday, August 25, 2008 2:54:31 PM(UTC)
With Justin Harrell going to the PUP, I would still like the Packers to pickup Rod Coleman. He would be another anchor in the middle, I think he would make a Grady Jackson impact for this team.
wpr  
#18 Posted : Monday, August 25, 2008 2:59:56 PM(UTC)
All seems predicatable so far.
Cheesey  
#19 Posted : Monday, August 25, 2008 3:08:15 PM(UTC)

'Tis.

3 things you can count on in life:
1) you'll pay taxes,
2) you'll die,
3) Justin Harrell will be injured

You forgot the 4th thing.....
4) The Vikings will never win a super bowl :thumbright:

I had a feeling Wynn would be gone. It's sad......the guy showed flashes. He has the physical talent, just seems to be missing something mentally.

And Harrel......jeez, i'm dissapointed with that guy. How long do you wait for him to show if he still deserves a shot? It's starting to look like a swing and a miss for Ted Thompson on this kid.
Oh well......can't get them all right i guess.
DarkaneRules  
#20 Posted : Monday, August 25, 2008 3:14:08 PM(UTC)
There was a lot of talk during the draft that Harrel was a risky choice since he was actually still injured going in. I have not been one to see his upside because my overall knowledge at that position is the smallest of all the team positions. It is unfortunate it has been this long and he is still hurt. You want those draft picks to be able to pick it up as a starter as soon as possible. Time will tell...
Rss Feed