Join Our Green Bay Packers Interactive Community!

We have been providing fans with the best source of Packers information since 2006!
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
10 Pages123>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline nerdmann  
#1 Posted : Monday, April 30, 2012 3:02:23 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Rank: Most Valuable Player

Joined: 9/14/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 2,708
Applause Received: 664

PFT

Quote:
Packers coach Mike McCarthy and General Manager Ted Thompson both declined to say this weekend whether Driver will be back with the team after his Dancing with the Stars stint is over.



He'll have to beat out some good younger players who also have their entire careers ahead of them. Depending upon cap considerations, I wouldn't cut DD loose just yet.

Think he's tradeable?

Message modified by moderator Thursday, July 12, 2012 8:33:00 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline PackerTraxx  
#2 Posted : Monday, April 30, 2012 3:20:15 PM(UTC)
PackerTraxx

Rank: 2nd Round Draft Pick

Joined: 8/13/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 18
Applause Received: 127

We have a couple of practice squad receivers and now a couple of UFA receivers with really nice size...it could be a tough call. But I think DD reworks his contract and plays one more year. It's going to be important for him to stay healthy or it could be cut short.
Why is Jerry Kramer not in the Hall of Fame?
Offline DakotaT  
#3 Posted : Monday, April 30, 2012 4:24:31 PM(UTC)
DakotaT

Rank: Super Bowl MVP

Joined: 8/18/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 666
Applause Received: 1,373

It was time to cut Driver last year or trade him the year before. Can we please move on and take the cap savings to sign our marquee players?

Jennings, Jones, Gurley

Nelson, Cobb, Rookie

Still the best group in the NFL.
UserPostedImage
Offline gbguy20  
#4 Posted : Monday, April 30, 2012 4:31:01 PM(UTC)
gbguy20

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

Joined: 8/28/2009(UTC)

Applause Given: 208
Applause Received: 285

It is sad to say it but it's time to move on.
call me Dan
Offline zombieslayer  
#5 Posted : Monday, April 30, 2012 4:37:45 PM(UTC)
zombieslayer

Rank: Most Valuable Player

Joined: 8/7/2008(UTC)
Location: San Francisco

Applause Given: 778
Applause Received: 495

Geez people. You all are haters! Wanna Box?

Let the decision be made in the preseason. Don't you think cutting him loose now might be jumping the gun? Let's see who's better - Driver, or Gurley. Let's not forget that in the Playoffs last year, who was our best WR?

That's right folks.

Haters.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage

(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)

2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. Ted Thompson Mike McCarthy Aaron Rodgers
thanks Post received 3 applause.
vikesrule on 4/30/2012(UTC), Wade on 5/1/2012(UTC), GoPack1984 on 5/3/2012(UTC)
Offline vikesrule  
#6 Posted : Monday, April 30, 2012 4:50:28 PM(UTC)
vikesrule

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

Joined: 8/4/2007(UTC)

Applause Given: 60
Applause Received: 193

Originally Posted by: zombieslayer Go to Quoted Post
Geez people. You all are haters! Wanna Box?

Let the decision be made in the preseason. Don't you think cutting him loose now might be jumping the gun? Let's see who's better - Driver, or Gurley. Let's not forget that in the Playoffs last year, who was our best WR?

That's right folks.

Haters.


You go ZS!



But since that nimrod from North Dakota wants to let Driver go.............perhaps.........


Although Donald can't have his number since it's retired (Cris Carter)....... Driver would look damn fine in purple!

Whatcha think DT? Whistle

UserPostedImage


Offline rabidgopher04  
#7 Posted : Monday, April 30, 2012 4:58:52 PM(UTC)
rabidgopher04

Rank: 4th Round Draft Pick

Joined: 8/7/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 113
Applause Received: 127

I still don't understand the desire to cut Driver. He's a solid receiver with fairly dependable hands. He's certainly more reliable than Finley.
Do you like bacon?
Offline Zero2Cool  
#8 Posted : Monday, April 30, 2012 5:22:35 PM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Rank: Legend

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States
Joined: 10/13/2006(UTC)
Location: Green Bay, WI

Applause Given: 1,968
Applause Received: 2,224

Originally Posted by: vikesrule Go to Quoted Post
You go ZS!



But since that nimrod from North Dakota wants to let Driver go.............perhaps.........


Although Donald can't have his number since it's retired (Cris Carter)....... Driver would look damn fine in purple!

Whatcha think DT? Whistle

UserPostedImage



anyone surprised that in his spare time vikesrule toys with the idea of iconic Packers players in Vikings uniforms? You'd think vikesrule would have had enough with his idol Brett Favre wearing the crapple, err purple.
"I do not think there is any thrill that can go through the human heart like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything." - Nikola Tesla

UserPostedImage
Offline Zero2Cool  
#9 Posted : Monday, April 30, 2012 5:23:47 PM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Rank: Legend

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States
Joined: 10/13/2006(UTC)
Location: Green Bay, WI

Applause Given: 1,968
Applause Received: 2,224

Originally Posted by: rabidgopher04 Go to Quoted Post
I still don't understand the desire to cut Driver. He's a solid receiver with fairly dependable hands. He's certainly more reliable than Finley.


They're nothing more than the kid who hates the local team for the sake of being 'different'. Mind no attention to them.
"I do not think there is any thrill that can go through the human heart like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything." - Nikola Tesla

UserPostedImage
Offline nerdmann  
#10 Posted : Monday, April 30, 2012 5:35:24 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Rank: Most Valuable Player

Joined: 9/14/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 2,708
Applause Received: 664

Oh, he'll DEFINITELY end up in Minny. But I'd say keep him around for right now, just being that Gurley and Borel could get in a car accident, suddenly fall ill, a meteorite could come crashing down on their heads, we just dont know. No real NEED to cut DD at this precise moment.

But I do think that he has to be so good that ONE year of DD (and there's no guarantee that he'll remain healthy) would be preferable to say FIVE years of some younger player. That's aside from the cap considerations.

Does anyone else think that Cobb might become a more electric "go to" guy than Jennings? I'm not saying he is right now, I'm just saying there's potential there.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline Zero2Cool  
#11 Posted : Monday, April 30, 2012 5:43:57 PM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Rank: Legend

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States
Joined: 10/13/2006(UTC)
Location: Green Bay, WI

Applause Given: 1,968
Applause Received: 2,224

Originally Posted by: nerdmann Go to Quoted Post
Oh, he'll DEFINITELY end up in Minny.


100% wrong.
"I do not think there is any thrill that can go through the human heart like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything." - Nikola Tesla

UserPostedImage
Offline zombieslayer  
#12 Posted : Monday, April 30, 2012 5:49:22 PM(UTC)
zombieslayer

Rank: Most Valuable Player

Joined: 8/7/2008(UTC)
Location: San Francisco

Applause Given: 778
Applause Received: 495

Originally Posted by: nerdmann Go to Quoted Post
Oh, he'll DEFINITELY end up in Minny. But I'd say keep him around for right now, just being that Gurley and Borel could get in a car accident, suddenly fall ill, a meteorite could come crashing down on their heads, we just dont know. No real NEED to cut DD at this precise moment.

But I do think that he has to be so good that ONE year of DD (and there's no guarantee that he'll remain healthy) would be preferable to say FIVE years of some younger player. That's aside from the cap considerations.

Does anyone else think that Cobb might become a more electric "go to" guy than Jennings? I'm not saying he is right now, I'm just saying there's potential there.


Cobb on perhaps another team would be a more electric "go to" guy than Gregorious. But on the Packers, no. Why? Route running. Show me a better route runner in the NFL than Gregorious right now.

The chemistry between Aaron and Gregorious is outstanding and Aaron tends to hit Gregorious in the right spots, opening up YAC.

They're both playmakers though. I do think our best 3 receivers right now are Gregorious, Jordy, and Cobb (in that order) and that includes our TEs.

Will Cobb become a superb route runner? Only time will tell, but I do love his potential and open field ability. Like I've said many times, Cobb reminds me of Percy Harvin. Funny thing is Harvin is their primary WR and he's not even one of our starters.

What a time to be a Packers fan. Dancing
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage

(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)

2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. Ted Thompson Mike McCarthy Aaron Rodgers
Offline DoddPower  
#13 Posted : Monday, April 30, 2012 5:57:31 PM(UTC)
DoddPower

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2011

United States
Joined: 9/24/2007(UTC)
Location: Visalia, CA

Applause Given: 2,090
Applause Received: 530

Originally Posted by: zombieslayer Go to Quoted Post
Geez people. You all are haters! Wanna Box?

Let the decision be made in the preseason. Don't you think cutting him loose now might be jumping the gun? Let's see who's better - Driver, or Gurley. Let's not forget that in the Playoffs last year, who was our best WR?

That's right folks.

Haters.


Because he was such a threat they put a linebacker on him?

Offline zombieslayer  
#14 Posted : Monday, April 30, 2012 6:02:28 PM(UTC)
zombieslayer

Rank: Most Valuable Player

Joined: 8/7/2008(UTC)
Location: San Francisco

Applause Given: 778
Applause Received: 495

Originally Posted by: doddpower Go to Quoted Post
Because he was such a threat they put a linebacker on him?



Like I said, let's let preseason decides who makes the team and who doesn't. Driver has clearly lost a step. How bad between 2011 and 2012? We'll find out.

I trust Mike McCarthy to make that decision.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage

(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)

2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. Ted Thompson Mike McCarthy Aaron Rodgers
Offline DakotaT  
#15 Posted : Monday, April 30, 2012 6:14:59 PM(UTC)
DakotaT

Rank: Super Bowl MVP

Joined: 8/18/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 666
Applause Received: 1,373

Originally Posted by: zombieslayer Go to Quoted Post
Geez people. You all are haters! Wanna Box?

Let the decision be made in the preseason. Don't you think cutting him loose now might be jumping the gun? Let's see who's better - Driver, or Gurley. Let's not forget that in the Playoffs last year, who was our best WR?

That's right folks.

Haters.


Oh bite me! Why pay him big money for similar production you can get from Cobb and Gurley.

The bottom line is this a business at the time has come to move on.

I don't hate DD, he's the epitome of character. But if he doesn't know when to say when, then you have to make the decision for him.

UserPostedImage
Offline Porforis  
#16 Posted : Monday, April 30, 2012 6:18:33 PM(UTC)
Porforis

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

United States
Joined: 8/22/2009(UTC)
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Applause Given: 169
Applause Received: 333

Originally Posted by: DakotaT Go to Quoted Post
Oh bite me! Why pay him big money for similar production you can get from Cobb and Gurley.


I wasn't aware that Cobb or Gurley filled the role as a veteran presence with more experience than any other WR, with solid hands. Gee, why don't we just fill our offense with either fast guys or tall guys regardless of how well they catch the ball and their emotional/leadership roles in the team?
UserPostedImage
thanks Post received 1 applause.
zombieslayer on 4/30/2012(UTC)
Offline DakotaT  
#17 Posted : Monday, April 30, 2012 6:30:01 PM(UTC)
DakotaT

Rank: Super Bowl MVP

Joined: 8/18/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 666
Applause Received: 1,373

Originally Posted by: Porforis Go to Quoted Post
I wasn't aware that Cobb or Gurley filled the role as a veteran presence with more experience than any other WR, with solid hands. Gee, why don't we just fill our offense with either fast guys or tall guys regardless of how well they catch the ball and their emotional/leadership roles in the team?


Let's just let him throw on 20 pounds so he can play TE. They already cover him with a linebacker.

Let's risk losing one of our core future players so DD can give all you nostalgia boys get one more year in the sun.
UserPostedImage
Offline Zero2Cool  
#18 Posted : Monday, April 30, 2012 6:38:44 PM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Rank: Legend

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States
Joined: 10/13/2006(UTC)
Location: Green Bay, WI

Applause Given: 1,968
Applause Received: 2,224

Originally Posted by: DakotaT Go to Quoted Post
Oh bite me! Why pay him big money for similar production you can get from Cobb and Gurley.

The bottom line is this a business at the time has come to move on.

I don't hate DD, he's the epitome of character. But if he doesn't know when to say when, then you have to make the decision for him.



It's unfortunate the Packers are so widely known for keeping players a year too long rather than releasing them a year too early. Oh. Wait...

At Donald Driver's current salary, not worth it. At a dramatically reduced salary, he deserves the chance to beat out the other WR for a roster spot. Just like any one else.
"I do not think there is any thrill that can go through the human heart like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything." - Nikola Tesla

UserPostedImage
Offline DakotaT  
#19 Posted : Monday, April 30, 2012 6:51:41 PM(UTC)
DakotaT

Rank: Super Bowl MVP

Joined: 8/18/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 666
Applause Received: 1,373

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool Go to Quoted Post
It's unfortunate the Packers are so widely known for keeping players a year too long rather than releasing them a year too early. Oh. Wait...

At Donald Driver's current salary, not worth it. At a dramatically reduced salary, he deserves the chance to beat out the other WR for a roster spot. Just like any one else.



37 catches for 445 yards and 6 touchdowns. Contract for years 2011 and 2012 was for 9.6 Million. Yeah he should play for free this year.

What the hell are we even arguing about anymore?
UserPostedImage
Offline Porforis  
#20 Posted : Monday, April 30, 2012 7:23:39 PM(UTC)
Porforis

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

United States
Joined: 8/22/2009(UTC)
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Applause Given: 169
Applause Received: 333

Originally Posted by: DakotaT Go to Quoted Post
37 catches for 445 yards and 6 touchdowns. Contract for years 2011 and 2012 was for 9.6 Million. Yeah he should play for free this year.

What the hell are we even arguing about anymore?

http://www.kffl.com/fantasy-football/targets/

Player Targets Rec Rec % Utilized Plays

Jordy Nelson 95 68 71.6 95.0
Greg Jennings 93 61 65.6 93.0
Jermichael Finley 92 55 59.8 92.0
Donald Driver 56 37 66.1 56.0

http://www.cbssports.com...ts/GB//green-bay-packers

Player No Yds Avg TD
Jordy Nelson 68 1263 18.6 15
Greg Jennings 67 949 14.2 9
Jermichael Finley 55 767 13.9 8
Donald Driver 37 445 12.0 6

Maybe we should cut Finley and move Driver to TE, clearly his salary isn't worth his production. Driver managed a mere 2 less touchdowns and 300 less yards in 36 less targets, and his reception % was much better than Finley. Finley is a has-been that can't produce what he used to and we've got younger guys with more potential that can take his place.
UserPostedImage
thanks Post received 1 applause.
zombieslayer on 4/30/2012(UTC)
Offline wpr  
#21 Posted : Monday, April 30, 2012 7:33:59 PM(UTC)
wpr

Rank: Hall of Famer

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States
Joined: 8/8/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 3,149
Applause Received: 1,519

Originally Posted by: nerdmann Go to Quoted Post
PFT




He'll have to beat out some good younger players who also have their entire careers ahead of them. Depending upon cap considerations, I wouldn't cut DD loose just yet.

Think he's tradeable?


he has no trade value
UserPostedImage

"Will you follow me, one last time?" Thorin Oakenshield
Offline DakotaT  
#22 Posted : Monday, April 30, 2012 7:40:18 PM(UTC)
DakotaT

Rank: Super Bowl MVP

Joined: 8/18/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 666
Applause Received: 1,373

Duh!
Originally Posted by: Porforis Go to Quoted Post
http://www.kffl.com/fantasy-football/targets/

Player Targets Rec Rec % Utilized Plays

Jordy Nelson 95 68 71.6 95.0
Greg Jennings 93 61 65.6 93.0
Jermichael Finley 92 55 59.8 92.0
Donald Driver 56 37 66.1 56.0

http://www.cbssports.com...ts/GB//green-bay-packers

Player No Yds Avg TD
Jordy Nelson 68 1263 18.6 15
Greg Jennings 67 949 14.2 9
Jermichael Finley 55 767 13.9 8
Donald Driver 37 445 12.0 6

Maybe we should cut Finley and move Driver to TE, clearly his salary isn't worth his production. Driver managed a mere 2 less touchdowns and 300 less yards in 36 less targets, and his reception % was much better than Finley. Finley is a has-been that can't produce what he used to and we've got younger guys with more potential that can take his place.


And of course DD was commanding double teams all over the field opening up his other receivers right? Why don't you stick with calling me an asshole? It's time to cut the old man loose.
UserPostedImage
Offline wpr  
#23 Posted : Monday, April 30, 2012 7:40:53 PM(UTC)
wpr

Rank: Hall of Famer

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States
Joined: 8/8/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 3,149
Applause Received: 1,519

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool Go to Quoted Post
anyone surprised that in his spare time vikesrule toys with the idea of iconic Packers players in Vikings uniforms? You'd think vikesrule would have had enough with his idol Brett Favre wearing the crapple, err purple.


not doubt he abuses himself while looking a Packers in their colors. i am sure he does the same with the Lombardi trophies.
UserPostedImage

"Will you follow me, one last time?" Thorin Oakenshield
Offline DoddPower  
#24 Posted : Monday, April 30, 2012 7:42:31 PM(UTC)
DoddPower

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2011

United States
Joined: 9/24/2007(UTC)
Location: Visalia, CA

Applause Given: 2,090
Applause Received: 530

Obviously making the comparison between Driver and Finley is silly. One is an old player whose best days are far behind him. Finley's production is actually pretty solid for a tight-end, but should be much better. He, however, gets the benefit of being young and "not yet reached his potential" player. Definitely apples and oranges and doesn't really make any logical point.

I'm all about letting Driver earn his way in training camp. If he is clearly better than the other options, keep him. I'm still just not sold that he is. I'm also not sure at what point some of his money becomes guaranteed, but I don't have to know these things because I don't get paid to do so! =)
Offline Porforis  
#25 Posted : Monday, April 30, 2012 7:48:31 PM(UTC)
Porforis

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

United States
Joined: 8/22/2009(UTC)
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Applause Given: 169
Applause Received: 333

Originally Posted by: doddpower Go to Quoted Post
Obviously making the comparison between Driver and Finley is silly. One is an old player whose best days are far behind him. Finley's production is actually pretty solid for a tight-end, but should be much better. He, however, gets the benefit of being young and "not yet reached his potential" player. Definitely apples and oranges and doesn't really make any logical point.


Obviously, that was kind of the point of my comparison. My point was that Driver fills a role none of the other receivers can fill. That doesn't mean he should stay, but just dropping stats like our good friend Dakota did doesn't tell the whole story about Driver's value, specifically in Green Bay.

Originally Posted by: doddpower Go to Quoted Post
I'm all about letting Driver earn his way in training camp. If he is clearly better than the other options, keep him. I'm still just not sold that he is. I'm also not sure at what point some of his money becomes guaranteed, but I don't have to know these things because I don't get paid to do so! =)


Agreed.
UserPostedImage
Rss Feed 
Users browsing this topic
Guest
10 Pages123>»
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Notification

Icon
Error

Tweeter

Recent Topics
24m / Green Bay Packers Talk / macbob

32m / Green Bay Packers Talk / nerdmann

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / MintBaconDrivel

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

19h / Green Bay Packers Talk / DoddPower

22h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

23-Nov / Green Bay Packers Talk / DarkaneRules

23-Nov / Green Bay Packers Talk / sschind

23-Nov / Green Bay Packers Talk / Tezzy

23-Nov / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

23-Nov / Green Bay Packers Talk / nerdmann