You are not logged in. Join Free! | Log In Thank you!    

Welcome to your Green Bay Packers Online Community!

Since 2006, PackersHome has been providing a unique experience for fans.
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

16 Pages<1234>»
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Porforis  
#16 Posted : Monday, April 30, 2012 6:18:33 PM(UTC)
Porforis

United States

Applause Given: 167
Applause Received: 328

Originally Posted by: DakotaT Go to Quoted Post
Oh bite me! Why pay him big money for similar production you can get from Cobb and Gurley.

I wasn't aware that Cobb or Gurley filled the role as a veteran presence with more experience than any other WR, with solid hands. Gee, why don't we just fill our offense with either fast guys or tall guys regardless of how well they catch the ball and their emotional/leadership roles in the team?
UserPostedImage
thanks Post received 1 applause.
zombieslayer on 4/30/2012(UTC)
Online DakotaT  
#17 Posted : Monday, April 30, 2012 6:30:01 PM(UTC)
DakotaT

Applause Given: 566
Applause Received: 1,190

Originally Posted by: Porforis Go to Quoted Post
I wasn't aware that Cobb or Gurley filled the role as a veteran presence with more experience than any other WR, with solid hands. Gee, why don't we just fill our offense with either fast guys or tall guys regardless of how well they catch the ball and their emotional/leadership roles in the team?

Let's just let him throw on 20 pounds so he can play TE. They already cover him with a linebacker.

Let's risk losing one of our core future players so DD can give all you nostalgia boys get one more year in the sun.
UserPostedImage
Offline Zero2Cool  
#18 Posted : Monday, April 30, 2012 6:38:44 PM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

United States

Applause Given: 1,738
Applause Received: 1,787

Oh bite me! Why pay him big money for similar production you can get from Cobb and Gurley.

The bottom line is this a business at the time has come to move on.

I don't hate DD, he's the epitome of character. But if he doesn't know when to say when, then you have to make the decision for him.

It's unfortunate the Packers are so widely known for keeping players a year too long rather than releasing them a year too early. Oh. Wait...

At Donald Driver's current salary, not worth it. At a dramatically reduced salary, he deserves the chance to beat out the other WR for a roster spot. Just like any one else.

UserPostedImage
Click here and find the LATEST Packers News!
Online DakotaT  
#19 Posted : Monday, April 30, 2012 6:51:41 PM(UTC)
DakotaT

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool Go to Quoted Post
It's unfortunate the Packers are so widely known for keeping players a year too long rather than releasing them a year too early. Oh. Wait...

At Donald Driver's current salary, not worth it. At a dramatically reduced salary, he deserves the chance to beat out the other WR for a roster spot. Just like any one else.

37 catches for 445 yards and 6 touchdowns. Contract for years 2011 and 2012 was for 9.6 Million. Yeah he should play for free this year.

What the hell are we even arguing about anymore?
UserPostedImage
Offline Porforis  
#20 Posted : Monday, April 30, 2012 7:23:39 PM(UTC)
Porforis

United States

37 catches for 445 yards and 6 touchdowns. Contract for years 2011 and 2012 was for 9.6 Million. Yeah he should play for free this year.

http://www.kffl.com/fantasy-football/targets/

Player Targets Rec Rec % Utilized Plays

Jordy Nelson 95 68 71.6 95.0
Greg Jennings 93 61 65.6 93.0
Jermichael Finley 92 55 59.8 92.0
Donald Driver 56 37 66.1 56.0

http://www.cbssports.com...ts/GB//green-bay-packers

Player No Yds Avg TD
Jordy Nelson 68 1263 18.6 15
Greg Jennings 67 949 14.2 9
Jermichael Finley 55 767 13.9 8
Donald Driver 37 445 12.0 6

Maybe we should cut Finley and move Driver to TE, clearly his salary isn't worth his production. Driver managed a mere 2 less touchdowns and 300 less yards in 36 less targets, and his reception % was much better than Finley. Finley is a has-been that can't produce what he used to and we've got younger guys with more potential that can take his place.
UserPostedImage
Offline wpr  
#21 Posted : Monday, April 30, 2012 7:33:59 PM(UTC)
wpr

United States

Applause Given: 2,400
Applause Received: 1,188

Originally Posted by: nerdmann Go to Quoted Post
PFT

He'll have to beat out some good younger players who also have their entire careers ahead of them. Depending upon cap considerations, I wouldn't cut DD loose just yet.

Think he's tradeable?

he has no trade value
"You don't hurt 'em if you don't hit 'em." Chesty Puller

UserPostedImage

Online DakotaT  
#22 Posted : Monday, April 30, 2012 7:40:18 PM(UTC)
DakotaT

Duh!
Originally Posted by: Porforis Go to Quoted Post
http://www.kffl.com/fantasy-football/targets/

Player Targets Rec Rec % Utilized Plays

Jordy Nelson 95 68 71.6 95.0
Greg Jennings 93 61 65.6 93.0
Jermichael Finley 92 55 59.8 92.0
Donald Driver 56 37 66.1 56.0

http://www.cbssports.com...ts/GB//green-bay-packers

Player No Yds Avg TD
Jordy Nelson 68 1263 18.6 15
Greg Jennings 67 949 14.2 9
Jermichael Finley 55 767 13.9 8
Donald Driver 37 445 12.0 6

Maybe we should cut Finley and move Driver to TE, clearly his salary isn't worth his production. Driver managed a mere 2 less touchdowns and 300 less yards in 36 less targets, and his reception % was much better than Finley. Finley is a has-been that can't produce what he used to and we've got younger guys with more potential that can take his place.

And of course DD was commanding double teams all over the field opening up his other receivers right? Why don't you stick with calling me an asshole? It's time to cut the old man loose.
UserPostedImage
Offline wpr  
#23 Posted : Monday, April 30, 2012 7:40:53 PM(UTC)
wpr

United States

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool Go to Quoted Post
anyone surprised that in his spare time vikesrule toys with the idea of iconic Packers players in Vikings uniforms? You'd think vikesrule would have had enough with his idol Brett Favre wearing the crapple, err purple.

not doubt he abuses himself while looking a Packers in their colors. i am sure he does the same with the Lombardi trophies.

UserPostedImage

Offline DoddPower  
#24 Posted : Monday, April 30, 2012 7:42:31 PM(UTC)
DoddPower

United States

Applause Given: 1,454
Applause Received: 343

Obviously making the comparison between Driver and Finley is silly. One is an old player whose best days are far behind him. Finley's production is actually pretty solid for a tight-end, but should be much better. He, however, gets the benefit of being young and "not yet reached his potential" player. Definitely apples and oranges and doesn't really make any logical point.

I'm all about letting Driver earn his way in training camp. If he is clearly better than the other options, keep him. I'm still just not sold that he is. I'm also not sure at what point some of his money becomes guaranteed, but I don't have to know these things because I don't get paid to do so! =)
Offline Porforis  
#25 Posted : Monday, April 30, 2012 7:48:31 PM(UTC)
Porforis

United States

Originally Posted by: doddpower Go to Quoted Post
Obviously making the comparison between Driver and Finley is silly. One is an old player whose best days are far behind him. Finley's production is actually pretty solid for a tight-end, but should be much better. He, however, gets the benefit of being young and "not yet reached his potential" player. Definitely apples and oranges and doesn't really make any logical point.

Obviously, that was kind of the point of my comparison. My point was that Driver fills a role none of the other receivers can fill. That doesn't mean he should stay, but just dropping stats like our good friend Dakota did doesn't tell the whole story about Driver's value, specifically in Green Bay.

Originally Posted by: doddpower Go to Quoted Post
I'm all about letting Driver earn his way in training camp. If he is clearly better than the other options, keep him. I'm still just not sold that he is. I'm also not sure at what point some of his money becomes guaranteed, but I don't have to know these things because I don't get paid to do so! =)

Agreed.
UserPostedImage
Offline wpr  
#26 Posted : Monday, April 30, 2012 7:52:07 PM(UTC)
wpr

United States

I don't get it. So you think Uncle Teddy is stupid? Donald doesn't need to be cut today.

Let TC play itself out. Let Ted and Mike make the call when they are ready. If they cut Nick even though he may or may not be able to play they will cut Donald when THEY fell it is the best time not when you do.

UserPostedImage

Offline zombieslayer  
#27 Posted : Monday, April 30, 2012 7:58:25 PM(UTC)
zombieslayer

Applause Given: 778
Applause Received: 495

Yup. And that's what I'm getting at.

Let's let things work themselves out. If Driver doesn't make the team, he doesn't make the team. He WILL however make the Packers Hall of Fame regardless of what happens in 2012.

I trust Mike McCarthy to do the right thing during training camp.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage

(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)

2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. Ted Thompson Mike McCarthy Aaron Rodgers
Online DakotaT  
#28 Posted : Monday, April 30, 2012 7:58:30 PM(UTC)
DakotaT

Originally Posted by: wpr Go to Quoted Post
I don't get it. So you think Uncle Teddy is stupid? Donald doesn't need to be cut today.

Let TC play itself out. Let Ted and Mike make the call when they are ready. If they cut Nick even though he may or may not be able to play they will cut Donald when THEY fell it is the best time not when you do.

Or cut him and give him the dignity to catch on somewhere else. Dropping him down our depth chart is really kind right?

UserPostedImage
Offline wpr  
#29 Posted : Monday, April 30, 2012 8:28:43 PM(UTC)
wpr

United States

Or cut him and give him the dignity to catch on somewhere else. Dropping him down our depth chart is really kind right?

Well to listen to you talk his so old in need of O² and a walker there is no way he will be able to catch on anywhere else.
Don't you think Ted and Mike have enough respect for Donald that they have/will speak to him and let him know what they are thinking?
I suspect Donald would rather be 4-5 on the Packers than 3 on most other teams.

UserPostedImage

Online DakotaT  
#30 Posted : Monday, April 30, 2012 9:17:53 PM(UTC)
DakotaT

Originally Posted by: wpr Go to Quoted Post
Well to listen to you talk his so old in need of O² and a walker there is no way he will be able to catch on anywhere else.
Don't you think Ted and Mike have enough respect for Donald that they have/will speak to him and let him know what they are thinking?
I suspect Donald would rather be 4-5 on the Packers than 3 on most other teams.

No, my problem is that we have better talent playing behind him. This isn't a fricken union seniority issue. It is about putting the best talent on the field. It's our version of Hines Ward, only the Steelers had the nads to cut their guy.
UserPostedImage