Welcome to your Green Bay Packers Online Community!

Since 2006, PackersHome has been providing a unique experience for fans.
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
16 Pages<12345>»
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline yooperfan  
#31 Posted : Monday, April 30, 2012 9:22:41 PM(UTC)
yooperfan

Applause Given: 565
Applause Received: 256

Originally Posted by: vikesrule Go to Quoted Post
You go ZS!

But since that nimrod from North Dakota wants to let Driver go.............perhaps.........

Although Donald can't have his number since it's retired (Cris Carter)....... Driver would look damn fine in purple!

Whatcha think DT? Whistle

UserPostedImage

NIMROD means sharpshooter and I see Dakota hitting the bullseye alot here.
But this time the sharpshooter from North Dakota is low and to the right.
Let it play out during training camp. Driver would rather retire as a Green Bay Packer than play for any other team.

thanks Post received 1 applause.
zombieslayer on 5/1/2012(UTC)
Offline Porforis  
#32 Posted : Monday, April 30, 2012 9:27:02 PM(UTC)
Porforis

United States

Applause Given: 168
Applause Received: 333

Originally Posted by: yooperfan Go to Quoted Post
Let it play out during training camp. Driver would rather retire as a Green Bay Packer than play for any other team.

He could do the first and then do the second.
UserPostedImage
Offline nerdmann  
#33 Posted : Monday, April 30, 2012 10:52:10 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Applause Given: 2,491
Applause Received: 624

Originally Posted by: yooperfan Go to Quoted Post
NIMROD means sharpshooter and I see Dakota hitting the bullseye alot here.
But this time the sharpshooter from North Dakota is low and to the right.

Really? I bet if we released him tomorrow he'd be a Viking by next week.

I don't think he'd be doing it motivated by insanity like Favre did, but I don't think he'd retire.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline beast  
#34 Posted : Monday, April 30, 2012 11:05:27 PM(UTC)
beast

Applause Given: 193
Applause Received: 288

Originally Posted by: nerdmann Go to Quoted Post
Really? I bet if we released him tomorrow he'd be a Viking by next week.

I don't think he'd be doing it motivated by insanity like Favre did, but I don't think he'd retire.

I don't think he would retire ether. But I don't think he'd join the Bears, Lions or Vikings. I think he'd go to Houston (his home city) or one of the teams with a Packers connection. He probably already knows the Dolphins system (cus it's Sherman system) though could of changed up some of the terms.
America's team Of the people by the people for the people Packer People
UserPostedImage
~ madeby ~ pack93z ~
Offline nerdmann  
#35 Posted : Monday, April 30, 2012 11:56:54 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Applause Given: 2,491
Applause Received: 624

Originally Posted by: beast Go to Quoted Post
I don't think he would retire ether. But I don't think he'd join the Bears, Lions or Vikings. I think he'd go to Houston (his home city) or one of the teams with a Packers connection. He probably already knows the Dolphins system (cus it's Sherman system) though could of changed up some of the terms.

Miami would definitely be a destination. But let's face it. Both Chicago and Minnesota need WRs.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline beast  
#36 Posted : Tuesday, May 1, 2012 12:21:55 AM(UTC)
beast

Applause Given: 193
Applause Received: 288

Originally Posted by: nerdmann Go to Quoted Post
Miami would definitely be a destination. But let's face it. Both Chicago and Minnesota need WRs.

During the whole Favre to the Vikings stuff, Driver handle some some Favre questions... he seemed to support Favre but also touched on he didn't think he could go to a division rival unless he didn't have other good offers.

Driver could probably get offers from Raiders and Seahawks (Flynn) whom have former Packers for GMs. His former WR coach is with the Cowboys. Dolphin with former Packers coaches. Plus other WR needy teams. Cards have been trying to get a talented WR to go with Larry Fitzgerald. It the Ravens WRs made a couple more plays they would of been in the Super Bowl.
America's team Of the people by the people for the people Packer People
UserPostedImage
~ madeby ~ pack93z ~
Online wpr  
#37 Posted : Tuesday, May 1, 2012 5:20:15 AM(UTC)
wpr

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 2,892
Applause Received: 1,403

Originally Posted by: DakotaT Go to Quoted Post
No, my problem is that we have better talent playing behind him. This isn't a fricken union seniority issue. It is about putting the best talent on the field. It's our version of Hines Ward, only the Steelers had the nads to cut their guy.

Which implies that Ted and Mike don't know what they are doing. Your concerns are that they will keep an older player who has some talent and will pay him more money simply because he is older and they remember how well he played in his prior years of service. That's bullsh*t.

They keep the players that give them the best chance to make it to the SB regardless of age or race or political orientation. That includes what guys are going to have the best team chemistry. (In their humble opinion.)

All I and a few others are saying is let the guys who are paid to form the team do their job. I have no problem if they come out and tell us tomorrow they are releasing Double D so he can hook up with someone else. I have no problem if they wait until the last cut in camp and release him. I have no problem if they announce they are cutting his pay in half or to one third of what it is today. By that same token I have no problem if they say they will honor the existing contract and allow him to play for the team this year. It is all good.
"You don't hurt 'em if you don't hit 'em." Chesty Puller

UserPostedImage

Offline Wade  
#38 Posted : Tuesday, May 1, 2012 6:45:42 AM(UTC)
Wade

Applause Given: 668
Applause Received: 672

1. I'd rather have DD now than Hines Ward of 3 years ago. Bleh, bleh, bleh.
2. DD has said he's willing to take a salary cut. Don't know how big a one, but one can't just quote his current contract and say he costs too much.
3. I don't understand this "cut him, he's declined" stuff at all. None of those young practice squad players, good as they have looked, have shown themselves as better than DD. Sure, I can see moving him down last year's depth chart. That's not the same as moving him below those who couldn't even make the 53-man roster last year. Not until they show they can make the roster.
4. Especially since he played better than almost any other receivers last year in the last game, and the game that counted the most (e.g., the playoff game).

The only place Hines Ward deserves to be compared with DD is in his Dancing With The Stars performance. And DD beats the crap out of him there.

And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
zombieslayer on 5/1/2012(UTC)
Offline Zero2Cool  
#39 Posted : Tuesday, May 1, 2012 6:57:55 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 1,891
Applause Received: 2,089

It's really simple. The Packers benefit nothing by cutting Donald Driver now. NO BENEFIT. Some say it would be a nice gesture to Driver, wrong. Driver is a competitor and if they were to release him without giving him a chance to earn a spot, he'd take it as a slap in the face. What competitor wouldn't? Adding salt to the wound would be Driver's open willingness to play at a lower salary and then being cut before given a chance to compete?

Do the Packers keep any player for the sake of keeping them? No. The Packers are one of the youngest teams every year ... why? Because they don't keep aging players too long, by practice. They aim to release players a year early rather than a year late.

Two things need to happen for Donald Driver to hold his roster spot.
  1. Be one of the top five (or six if six are kept) WR's
  2. Restructure contract

If either one of them are not done, then he should be released.
UserPostedImage
wpr on 5/1/2012(UTC)
Offline PackerTraxx  
#40 Posted : Tuesday, May 1, 2012 7:07:38 AM(UTC)
PackerTraxx

Applause Given: 18
Applause Received: 127

Originally Posted by: wpr Go to Quoted Post

They keep the players that give them the best chance to make it to the SB regardless of age or race or political orientation. That includes what guys are going to have the best team chemistry. (In their humble opinion.)

That's what Ted Thompson needs to, and I believe will, do. It's not easy. These are the tough decisions that management gets paid to make. The good ones make the right decision, regardless of the emotions involved. Ted Thompson is a good one so I trust whatever he does.

Edited by moderator Tuesday, May 1, 2012 7:25:13 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Zero2Cool fixed quote

Why is Jerry Kramer not in the Hall of Fame?
Offline DoddPower  
#41 Posted : Tuesday, May 1, 2012 8:29:01 AM(UTC)
DoddPower

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2011

United States

Applause Given: 1,960
Applause Received: 471

I personally like what Gurley can bring to special teams (e.g., blocking kicks, which he has shown he can do in the only time he has had a chance: preseason). I think the 5th and maybe even the 4th wide receiver should have special teams value, which Driver does not. While I acknowledge that Driver still holds some value to this team in the passing game, I'm not convinced it's anything significantly more than someone like Gurley would, especially as a red zone target. Sure, there is no guarantee, but one or more of those young guys could be the next Donald Driver themselves! We won't know without giving them an opportunity, but I think that's a common thought. I also think the common argument of Driver being the only wide receiver showing up against the Giants in the playoff game isn't a good argument. We've all heard that he was being covered by a single linebacker at times. Also, there were a few opportunities that were there that Rodger's simply missed. Perhaps if Rodger's make those couple of throws, we'd be saying Finley or Jennings stepped up in that game, despite a drop or two. I also understand the veteran presence argument, but I'm not convinced that's a big factor either, especially since Jennings, Nelson, Jones, etc., have all been around for several years and have experienced running the table through the playoffs (on the road) and winning a Super Bowl. I think that any leadership abilities that would leave with Driver could easily be accounted for by others, and sometimes, it takes a leader leaving for a new one to emerge.

It goes without saying this is just my opinion and obviously Ted and McCarthy know better than me. But the factors described above plus my skepticism of his ability to stay healthy, even in limited playing time, pushes me towards giving the young guys a shot. I agree with letting him fight for his spot in training camp, but I would hope it's an uphill battle for him. In other words, he needs to show he is SIGNIFICANTLY better and more valuable to this team than any of the younger guys. If so, good. I wouldn't be disappointed. However, I will not be surprised in the slightest to see him on another team this season.
Offline earthquake  
#42 Posted : Tuesday, May 1, 2012 8:43:57 AM(UTC)
earthquake

Applause Given: 169
Applause Received: 56

I think Doddpower makes an excellent point. Sure Driver brings a lot of experience to the table, but the core offensive players, Rodgers, Jennings, Sitton, etc are guys who are on their second, some going on third contracts soon, high character guys with a lot of playing experience and everything you would want as far as leadership goes. I am fine with those guys as the leaders of this offense.

Even some of the younger guys like Nelson, Jones, and Bulaga bring solid experience to the team, if you look at the team as a whole there are a lot of young players, but you look at the starters, the core players, these are good guys with lots of playing experience. I'm not sure if DD's vast experience will be missed as much as some are saying.
blank
Offline zombieslayer  
#43 Posted : Tuesday, May 1, 2012 9:54:15 AM(UTC)
zombieslayer

Applause Given: 778
Applause Received: 495

Originally Posted by: Wade Go to Quoted Post
1. I'd rather have DD now than Hines Ward of 3 years ago. Bleh, bleh, bleh.
2. DD has said he's willing to take a salary cut. Don't know how big a one, but one can't just quote his current contract and say he costs too much.
3. I don't understand this "cut him, he's declined" stuff at all. None of those young practice squad players, good as they have looked, have shown themselves as better than DD. Sure, I can see moving him down last year's depth chart. That's not the same as moving him below those who couldn't even make the 53-man roster last year. Not until they show they can make the roster.
4. Especially since he played better than almost any other receivers last year in the last game, and the game that counted the most (e.g., the playoff game).

The only place Hines Ward deserves to be compared with DD is in his Dancing With The Stars performance. And DD beats the crap out of him there.

Right on with 2,3,and 4. I don't follow the Steelers so not sure about how to compare him to Ward. But yes, Driver will take a pay cut. And yes, none of the other guys have shown to be better than Driver, and come Playoff time, Driver ups his level. How many other players can say that? Jordy and Gregorious can. They were spectacular in the SB in 2010. But against the Giants (both times), Driver seemed like the only guy who was solid.

Before you all cut cut cut, you better have reliable options. Shame on you
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage

(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)

2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. Ted Thompson Mike McCarthy Aaron Rodgers
Offline dhazer  
#44 Posted : Tuesday, May 1, 2012 3:29:55 PM(UTC)
dhazer

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2013Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2009PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Bronze: 2013

Applause Given: 45
Applause Received: 195

Ok am I missing something but I don't see any receptions for Gurley last year but hell hes better than Driver. Hell he is the best wr we have on this team. If you go off his his preseason stats he killed everyone right. Gurley is the best leader in the locker room by far.
I mean if you see Driver on dancing with the stars you will see he is all flabby and old and can barely move. Send him to Detroit to join up with Collins.
UserPostedImage

Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be :)
GoPack1984 on 5/3/2012(UTC)
Offline buckeyepackfan  
#45 Posted : Tuesday, May 1, 2012 4:08:05 PM(UTC)
buckeyepackfan

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2012Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2014

Applause Given: 296
Applause Received: 411

Let the man go already!!!!!

Tired of these same stupid arguments every year.

Hell we lost Chasten West last year because Driver wouldn't retire!!

That's right Chasten West who showed more potential than Borel or Gurley and went to Jacksonville and was never heard from again!!

I'm really tired of these veteran players holding back all the young guys just "full of potential"

Dammit with Chasten West The Packers probably would have beaten The Giants last year and went on to win The Superbowl.

To tell the truth I am more worried about how The Packers are gonna keep Aaron Rodgers upright and healthy all year than I am whether Donald Driver stays.
Enjoy the ride – It kicks and just keeps on kickin’.
wpr on 5/1/2012(UTC)