Discussion Board
Welcome Guest! You can login or register. Login or Register.
2 Pages12>

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Zero2Cool  
#1 Posted : Thursday, April 26, 2012 12:57:38 PM(UTC)
Who has/had the best ...

Quickest Release: Dan Marino
Hardest Throw: Brett Favre
Best Deep Ball: Tom Brady

Who has/had the worst ...

Slowest Release: Tim Tebow
Weakest Throw: Christian Ponder
Worst Deep Ball: Anthony Dilweg

Edit, gonna go with Tom Brady over Joe Montana for best deep ball touch, even though Tom Brady usually has 3 minutes to set and make said throw. There's a few old QB's that I liked theirs more, just can't think of their name.

Edit2, eh fudged up deep ball. Think of it like this, if you had to pick one guy to throw the ball 50 yards in the air and land the nose of the ball onto a dime to win you $1,000,000 who would you choose?
Wade  
#2 Posted : Thursday, April 26, 2012 1:05:01 PM(UTC)
How about the same criteria, but "worst" as well as best, and current starters/pseudo-starters only.

Best:
Quickest: Rodgers.
Hardest: Cutler
Best deep: Rodgers

Worst:
Slowest: Ponder
Weakest: Flacco
Worst deep: Smith

Dexter_Sinister  
#3 Posted : Friday, May 4, 2012 1:49:52 PM(UTC)
Wade said: Go to Quoted Post
How about the same criteria, but "worst" as well as best, and current starters/pseudo-starters only.

Best:

Worst:

Cutler has got the strength to throw deep, but his accuracy and decision making make him a turnover machine in the redzone. The only way they cut down on his picks was to take all his down field threats away and make him dump off to the backs. Which is why the lead the team in catches. And Cutler had an uncharacteristically very low yardage output per game.

Fortunately for us, they went and got Marshall and Jeffery to go down field. So the poor decisions and inaccurate throws will end up giving us lots of pick opportunities.
Packers_Finland  
#4 Posted : Saturday, May 5, 2012 6:03:28 AM(UTC)
Flacco has a weak arm? lol
zombieslayer  
#5 Posted : Saturday, May 5, 2012 9:50:10 AM(UTC)

Best Deep Ball: Brett Favre

Montana didn't have a good deep ball. He didn't have a strong arm. He is however a better QB than Favre as is Aaron Rodgers. But you're only asking 3 questions - Quickest Release, Hardest Throw, and Best Deep Ball and I'm answering all 3 honestly.
vikesrule  
#6 Posted : Saturday, May 5, 2012 10:16:24 AM(UTC)

Best:

Worst:

Packers_Finland said: Go to Quoted Post
Flacco has a weak arm? lol

Ya Tuomas, I found that quite amusing as well. Not to mention some of the other "picks"

Me thinks that we can attribute Wades's comments to one of three things:
1. He gets all his NFL information from Bleacher Report.
2. He's blowing smoke out of his ass again.
3. He's smokin' some killer shit that he is not sharing.

On second thought, it may be a combination of all three. :-k

And as far as zombieslayer's picks.. well... when it comes to Brett Favre, we all know what a freakin' Homer ZS becomes.

Zero2Cool  
#7 Posted : Saturday, May 5, 2012 10:16:56 AM(UTC)
zombieslayer said: Go to Quoted Post
Best Deep Ball: Brett Favre

Montana didn't have a good deep ball. He didn't have a strong arm. He is however a better QB than Favre as is Aaron Rodgers. But you're only asking 3 questions - Quickest Release, Hardest Throw, and Best Deep Ball and I'm answering all 3 honestly.

I never in a million thought anyone would say Brett Favre had the best deep ball. If you're referring to throwing it the farthest, then I understand. Which would make sense since the topic says arm strength. Although, I was referring to deep ball touch, precision and there's no way Brett Favre falls into that category, lol. Aaron Rodgers has superior ball placement on deep balls than Brett Favre did.

I think Kurt Warner had a good deep ball too.
Wade  
#8 Posted : Saturday, May 5, 2012 12:20:24 PM(UTC)
vikesrule said: Go to Quoted Post
Ya Tuomas, I found that quite amusing as well. Not to mention some of the other "picks"

Me thinks that we can attribute Wades's comments to one of three things:
1. He gets all his NFL information from Bleacher Report.
2. He's blowing smoke out of his ass again.
3. He's smokin' some killer shit that he is not sharing.

On second thought, it may be a combination of all three. :-k

And as far as zombieslayer's picks.. well... when it comes to Brett Favre, we all know what a freakin' Homer ZS becomes.

My comment re: Flacco is based on the games I've seen him play. So I fully admit to it being a small sample. But I've heard all the talk that he's got a great, powerful arm, and I've never seen it.

In fact my nickname for him is Joe Flaccid.

I suppose it could be because he's not bright enough to know which passes should have heat on them and which should be soft touch throws.

I'm just glad he plays for a potential playoff opponent. I'd rather face Flacco than Cutler any day. IMO he's one of the most overrated of NFL quarterbacks.

porky88  
#9 Posted : Saturday, May 5, 2012 2:41:26 PM(UTC)
All-Time

Best Deep Ball: Warren Moon

Current Players

Quickest Release: Aaron Rodgers
Hardest Throw: Jay Cutler
Best Deep Ball: Matthew Stafford

Slowest Release: Tim Tebow
Weakest Throw: Colt McCoy
Worst Deep Ball: Blaine Gabbert
Zero2Cool  
#10 Posted : Saturday, May 5, 2012 3:13:10 PM(UTC)
o_O Warren Moon I like that one too.
zombieslayer  
#11 Posted : Saturday, May 5, 2012 3:27:09 PM(UTC)
Yes, Warren Moon had a good deep ball too. But there is so much Favre hatred that they conveniently forget how good of a deep ball Favre had. Let's not forget that 2007, when Tom Brady had one of the best QB stat years ever, Favre completed more 40+ yard passes, including some nice game winners.

And yes, Favre had issues and had the tendency to throw it up and pray. If you discount those and count the ones when he actually kept his head, I don't think he's touchable. If you count the ones where he threw it up and prayed, then yes, you have a very strong argument that Favre's deep ball was overrated.

Lynn Dickey had a pretty nice deep ball too, but that's with another asterisk - he was throwing to James Lofton who was one of the best deep ball receivers in our lifetime (Randy Moss is the 00s version of James Lofton and had better numbers but that was after the NFL rule changes that enabled receivers to get away with stuff they couldn't get away with in the 70s and 80s).

I don't see myself as a Favre homer. I'm a huge Favre fan. But not a homer. He had mental issues that kept him from being as good as people like Joe Montana, Steve Young, and Aaron Rodgers. It's a shame too, because with his God given abilities, he should have been the best QB of the Super Bowl era. But he's a mental case and was always shooting himself (and the team) in the foot.
Zero2Cool  
#12 Posted : Saturday, May 5, 2012 4:10:09 PM(UTC)
Yes, Warren Moon had a good deep ball too. But there is so much Favre hatred that they conveniently forget how good of a deep ball Favre had. Let's not forget that 2007, when Tom Brady had one of the best QB stat years ever, Favre completed more 40+ yard passes, including some nice game winners.

Let's not insult others by assuming hatred to mask our own bias, nor forget what team racked up the most yards after catch during the 2007 season in which Brett Favre had one more 40+ pass completion than Tom Brady. I'd like to point out that the questions posed in the original post were encompassing more than a single season. That's my fault, but I've updated the original post adding more clarity. :)

Regarding Brett Favre, great leader, could throw it a mile, threw it harder than anyone and his forte was rocketing a ball into a tiny window far more than it was throwing the ball (in the air) 40+ yards hitting a guy in stride.
zombieslayer  
#13 Posted : Saturday, May 5, 2012 7:35:17 PM(UTC)
No, he also hit guys in long patterns pretty accurately. It wasn't just catch and runs.
Zero2Cool  
#14 Posted : Saturday, May 5, 2012 7:47:45 PM(UTC)
No, he also hit guys in long patterns pretty accurately. It wasn't just catch and runs.

Very true.
Wade  
#15 Posted : Saturday, May 5, 2012 8:08:45 PM(UTC)
I seem to recall Dan Fouts having a pretty quick release.
zombieslayer  
#16 Posted : Sunday, May 6, 2012 9:49:05 AM(UTC)
I seem to recall Dan Fouts having a pretty quick release.

He did. Not knocking Fouts, he was a great QB (and is rightfully in the Hall of Fame). But Marino was a better version of Fouts. (And had a stronger arm as Fouts didn't have a strong arm).
dhazer  
#17 Posted : Sunday, May 6, 2012 11:01:21 AM(UTC)
This is one guy that had a beautiful deep ball and made it look so effortless. Here is a video of a 60 yard pass against the wind and falling sideways.

I use to love watching Randall Cunningham play.
Zero2Cool  
#18 Posted : Sunday, May 6, 2012 11:17:22 AM(UTC)
dhazer said: Go to Quoted Post
This is one guy that had a beautiful deep ball and made it look so effortless. Here is a video of a 60 yard pass against the wind and falling sideways.

I use to love watching Randall Cunningham play.

Fantastic play, but that's not a beautiful deep ball, lol. It was thrown up for grabs. I think the most amazing part of the play was Cunningham's escape. That was incredible! Then rolling to his left (which is harder to throw for a right handed QB), he sets up and heaves it to mid field where his guy catches it and runs away!

Awesome play, just awesome.
Dexter_Sinister  
#19 Posted : Sunday, May 6, 2012 12:12:15 PM(UTC)

And yes, Favre had issues and had the tendency to throw it up and pray. If you discount those and count the ones when he actually kept his head, I don't think he's touchable. If you count the ones where he threw it up and prayed, then yes, you have a very strong argument that Favre's deep ball was overrated.

Lynn Dickey had a pretty nice deep ball too, but that's with another asterisk - he was throwing to James Lofton who was one of the best deep ball receivers in our lifetime (Randy Moss is the 00s version of James Lofton and had better numbers but that was after the NFL rule changes that enabled receivers to get away with stuff they couldn't get away with in the 70s and 80s).

I don't see myself as a Favre homer. I'm a huge Favre fan. But not a homer. He had mental issues that kept him from being as good as people like Joe Montana, Steve Young, and Aaron Rodgers. It's a shame too, because with his God given abilities, he should have been the best QB of the Super Bowl era. But he's a mental case and was always shooting himself (and the team) in the foot.

I don't agree with cherry picking the "good" Favre and ignoring the "bad" Favre.

Part of having a great deep ball is consistency on it. No discounts allowed.
dhazer  
#20 Posted : Sunday, May 6, 2012 12:15:28 PM(UTC)
Zero2Cool said: Go to Quoted Post
Fantastic play, but that's not a beautiful deep ball, lol. It was thrown up for grabs. I think the most amazing part of the play was Cunningham's escape. That was incredible! Then rolling to his left (which is harder to throw for a right handed QB), he sets up and heaves it to mid field where his guy catches it and runs away!

Awesome play, just awesome.

I know that was just a heave but I posted it just to show arm strength. He did make the long passes look so easy, look when he got to Minny and couldn't run anymore. He loved having Moss :) and they went 15-1 and got beat right away like us last year.
Rss Feed