Welcome to your Green Bay Packers Online Community!

Since 2006, PackersHome has been providing a unique experience for fans.
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
3 Pages<123>
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline rabidgopher04  
#16 Posted : Tuesday, May 8, 2012 9:02:21 PM(UTC)
rabidgopher04

Rank: 4th Round Draft Pick

Joined: 8/7/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 113
Applause Received: 127

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool Go to Quoted Post
I trust Longwell over Crosby when it comes to 50+ field goals, lol.


I don't. Crosby has much more power to get it through the uprights, but Longwell is more accurate. Crosby has demonstrated capability of 60+ yd. field goals, well beyond Longwell's range. Crosby at least gives us a chance whereas Longwell didn't in certain situations.
Do you like bacon?
Offline gbguy20  
#17 Posted : Tuesday, May 8, 2012 11:43:33 PM(UTC)
gbguy20

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

Joined: 8/28/2009(UTC)

Applause Given: 203
Applause Received: 285

The guy made barely over 50% of his kicks last year and they just handed him the job? sweet.
call me Dan
Offline Zero2Cool  
#18 Posted : Wednesday, May 9, 2012 5:12:00 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Rank: Legend

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States
Joined: 10/13/2006(UTC)
Location: Green Bay, WI

Applause Given: 1,890
Applause Received: 2,088

Originally Posted by: rabidgopher04 Go to Quoted Post
I don't. Crosby has much more power to get it through the uprights, but Longwell is more accurate. Crosby has demonstrated capability of 60+ yd. field goals, well beyond Longwell's range. Crosby at least gives us a chance whereas Longwell didn't in certain situations.


doesn't matter if you can kick it 60+ yards if you can't get it between the goalposts.

Mason Crosby, 12 of 24 on 50+ yard field goal attempts.
Ryan Longwell, 11 of 15 on 50+ yard field goal attempts since '07 when Mason was drafted.

73% or 50%
UserPostedImage
Offline rabidgopher04  
#19 Posted : Wednesday, May 9, 2012 5:28:25 AM(UTC)
rabidgopher04

Rank: 4th Round Draft Pick

Joined: 8/7/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 113
Applause Received: 127

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool Go to Quoted Post
doesn't matter if you can kick it 60+ yards if you can't get it between the goalposts.

Mason Crosby, 12 of 24 on 50+ yard field goal attempts.
Ryan Longwell, 11 of 15 on 50+ yard field goal attempts since '07 when Mason was drafted.

73% or 50%


Longwell's longest kicks those years were between 48-55 yards. Prior to being in a dome his longest between 45-54 yards. Crosby's have been between 52-58 yards. Crosby gives a better chance at longer range.

Considering McCarthy uses him in almost any 4th down scenario where there's a remote chance that he MIGHT make a FG I don't feel that stat line is an even comparison. There are situations in which Longwell would never have a chance of putting it through.

I think a more accurate comparison would be at each distance in one yard increments. For instance, let's say that 5 of Crosby's missed FG's were from 57 yards or more and Longwell never attempted a 57 yarder. It skews the stats. Using your stats I could argue that Crosby is the better kicker because he has made more total kicks.

I still stand by my assertion that Crosby is better because he at least provides a chance whereas Longwell just doesn't have the range and gives you no chance.
Do you like bacon?
Offline Zero2Cool  
#20 Posted : Wednesday, May 9, 2012 5:59:49 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Rank: Legend

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States
Joined: 10/13/2006(UTC)
Location: Green Bay, WI

Applause Given: 1,890
Applause Received: 2,088

The stat line isn't a comparison at all because Ryan Longwell is one of the most accurate kickers in NFL history, Mason Crosby is not. Twist the numbers around all you want, bottom line, Longwell is a more accurate kicker than Crosby, even on 50+ yard field goal attempts.

One yard increments would be better, no doubt. Although, when you'd see that Longwell had a higher percentage there too, then we'd have to factor in wind, the direction of wind, precipitation, etc ... until your assertion becomes more believable. Weeeee!! Maybe you're just a pissed off Applebee's employee? :P
UserPostedImage
Offline rabidgopher04  
#21 Posted : Wednesday, May 9, 2012 4:08:46 PM(UTC)
rabidgopher04

Rank: 4th Round Draft Pick

Joined: 8/7/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 113
Applause Received: 127

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool Go to Quoted Post
The stat line isn't a comparison at all because Ryan Longwell is one of the most accurate kickers in NFL history, Mason Crosby is not. Twist the numbers around all you want, bottom line, Longwell is a more accurate kicker than Crosby, even on 50+ yard field goal attempts.

One yard increments would be better, no doubt. Although, when you'd see that Longwell had a higher percentage there too, then we'd have to factor in wind, the direction of wind, precipitation, etc ... until your assertion becomes more believable. Weeeee!! Maybe you're just a pissed off Applebee's employee? :P


No, it's because I am Mason Crosby. Longwell couldn't carry my jock if he wanted to.

Do you like bacon?
Offline Zero2Cool  
#22 Posted : Wednesday, May 9, 2012 5:03:34 PM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Rank: Legend

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States
Joined: 10/13/2006(UTC)
Location: Green Bay, WI

Applause Given: 1,890
Applause Received: 2,088

Originally Posted by: rabidgopher04 Go to Quoted Post
No, it's because I am Mason Crosby. Longwell couldn't carry my jock if he wanted to.



Agreed.
UserPostedImage
Offline zombieslayer  
#23 Posted : Wednesday, May 9, 2012 5:20:51 PM(UTC)
zombieslayer

Rank: Most Valuable Player

Joined: 8/7/2008(UTC)
Location: San Francisco

Applause Given: 778
Applause Received: 495

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool Go to Quoted Post
doesn't matter if you can kick it 60+ yards if you can't get it between the goalposts.

Mason Crosby, 12 of 24 on 50+ yard field goal attempts.
Ryan Longwell, 11 of 15 on 50+ yard field goal attempts since '07 when Mason was drafted.

73% or 50%


Can't argue with these stats.

Besides, I don't want us kicking much longer than 50 yards. Mike McCarthy tends to be aggressive and go for a lot of situations where others will punt. I like that. I'd rather let Aaron Rodgers take a shot at 7 points than a kicker take a shot at 3, especially when we got the #1 O (and for the record, the best Packers' O ever).
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage

(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)

2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. Ted Thompson Mike McCarthy Aaron Rodgers
Offline DakotaT  
#24 Posted : Wednesday, May 9, 2012 5:51:03 PM(UTC)
DakotaT

Rank: Super Bowl MVP

Joined: 8/18/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 649
Applause Received: 1,338

Originally Posted by: zombieslayer Go to Quoted Post
Can't argue with these stats.

Besides, I don't want us kicking much longer than 50 yards. Mike McCarthy tends to be aggressive and go for a lot of situations where others will punt. I like that. I'd rather let Aaron Rodgers take a shot at 7 points than a kicker take a shot at 3, especially when we got the #1 O (and for the record, the best Packers' O ever).


I love you man!

When we cross the opponents 45 yard line it is go time and we move to 4 down territory, unless someone gets a holding call. Hell even the 50 yard line if it's time to step on a neck.

UserPostedImage
thanks Post received 1 applause.
zombieslayer on 5/9/2012(UTC)
Offline vikesrule  
#25 Posted : Wednesday, May 9, 2012 6:10:47 PM(UTC)
vikesrule

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

Joined: 8/4/2007(UTC)

Applause Given: 60
Applause Received: 193

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool Go to Quoted Post
doesn't matter if you can kick it 60+ yards if you can't get it between the goalposts.

Mason Crosby, 12 of 24 on 50+ yard field goal attempts.
Ryan Longwell, 11 of 15 on 50+ yard field goal attempts since '07 when Mason was drafted.

73% or 50%


The 50% on 50+ yard attempts is due to Mason Crosby's training.....with the Rockettes......Rolling On The Floor Laughing

UserPostedImage



Offline rabidgopher04  
#26 Posted : Wednesday, May 9, 2012 7:09:31 PM(UTC)
rabidgopher04

Rank: 4th Round Draft Pick

Joined: 8/7/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 113
Applause Received: 127

Originally Posted by: vikesrule Go to Quoted Post
The 50% on 50+ yard attempts is due to Mason Crosby's training.....with the Rockettes......Rolling On The Floor Laughing

UserPostedImage





I wouldn't mind that kind of training.

Do you like bacon?
Offline zombieslayer  
#27 Posted : Wednesday, May 9, 2012 9:44:37 PM(UTC)
zombieslayer

Rank: Most Valuable Player

Joined: 8/7/2008(UTC)
Location: San Francisco

Applause Given: 778
Applause Received: 495

Originally Posted by: DakotaT Go to Quoted Post
I love you man!

When we cross the opponents 45 yard line it is go time and we move to 4 down territory, unless someone gets a holding call. Hell even the 50 yard line if it's time to step on a neck.



Well, you and I may have our disagreements, but one thing I'll never doubt - you got a pair. That's why I like Mike McCarthy. He's ballsy. I still have nightmares of Sherman punting the ball on 4th and 1 from our own 40 against the Eagles when we would have won that game with a first down. The Football Gods themselves cursed us on that day, and it took 7 years to break the curse.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage

(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)

2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. Ted Thompson Mike McCarthy Aaron Rodgers
Offline Zero2Cool  
#28 Posted : Thursday, May 10, 2012 5:00:17 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Rank: Legend

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States
Joined: 10/13/2006(UTC)
Location: Green Bay, WI

Applause Given: 1,890
Applause Received: 2,088

Originally Posted by: DakotaT Go to Quoted Post
I love you man!

When we cross the opponents 45 yard line it is go time and we move to 4 down territory, unless someone gets a holding call. Hell even the 50 yard line if it's time to step on a neck.



45 = 62 yard field goal
50 = 67 yard field goal

If it's third an anything manageable, it makes more sense to go for it than to punt, especially since 30 punters in the NFL can't coffin kick worth a sh*t.
UserPostedImage
Offline gbguy20  
#29 Posted : Thursday, May 10, 2012 10:29:02 AM(UTC)
gbguy20

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

Joined: 8/28/2009(UTC)

Applause Given: 203
Applause Received: 285

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool Go to Quoted Post
45 = 62 yard field goal
50 = 67 yard field goal

If it's third an anything manageable, it makes more sense to go for it than to punt, especially since 30 punters in the NFL can't coffin kick worth a sh*t.


speaks volumes about how difficult it is then doesn't it?
call me Dan
Offline Zero2Cool  
#30 Posted : Thursday, May 10, 2012 11:02:15 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Rank: Legend

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States
Joined: 10/13/2006(UTC)
Location: Green Bay, WI

Applause Given: 1,890
Applause Received: 2,088

Originally Posted by: gbguy20 Go to Quoted Post
speaks volumes about how difficult it is then doesn't it?


That was a good portion of the point, lol.
UserPostedImage
Rss Feed 
Users browsing this topic
Guest
3 Pages<123>
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Notification

Icon
Error

Tweeter

Recent Topics
now / Green Bay Packers Talk / MintBaconDrivel

5m / Green Bay Packers Talk / PackFanWithTwins

10m / Around The NFL / Mucky Tundra

12m / Random Babble / Pack93z

13m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Pack93z

37m / Green Bay Packers Talk / texaspackerbacker

57m / Random Babble / Pack93z

1h / Welcome to our Community! / Zero2Cool

1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / FLORIDA PACKER88

2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

3h / Feedback, Suggestions and Issues / Zero2Cool

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Gilligan

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / evad04

13h / Random Babble / IronMan

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / steveishere


Copyright © 2006-2014 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.