Welcome to your Green Bay Packers Online Community!

Since 2006, PackersHome has been providing a unique experience for fans.
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
6 Pages«<3456>
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Dexter_Sinister  
#61 Posted : Wednesday, May 9, 2012 7:57:31 PM(UTC)
Dexter_Sinister

Applause Given: 221
Applause Received: 250

Originally Posted by: zombieslayer Go to Quoted Post
That D completely relied on takeaways. Against the Giants, we got one INT and no forced fumbles and promptly lost, allowing 37 points.

How is it the O's fault when the D allows 37 points?

By giving the ball to the Giants in scoring position.

And by not sustaining drives.

Without the turnovers and a hail mary that I won't credit the Giants talent level for, they scored a fairly average point total.

Which is exactly what I would expect from Eli. Average performance from an average QB.

Not saying the hail mary doesn't count. But the Giants luck deserves the credit for it. Not the Giants talent.
I want to go out like my Grandpa did. Peacefully in his sleep.

Not screaming in terror like his passengers.
Offline DoddPower  
#62 Posted : Wednesday, May 9, 2012 8:50:21 PM(UTC)
DoddPower

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2011

United States

Applause Given: 1,765
Applause Received: 417

Originally Posted by: Dexter_Sinister Go to Quoted Post
Not saying the hail mary doesn't count. But the Giants luck deserves the credit for it. Not the Giants talent.

I credit it more to a pathetic defense not making what should be an easy stop in a critical situation. Not only the hail mary, but the long draw before it which made the 'hope and a prayer' pass possible. I wouldn't call it luck at all, just poor execution on defense. They should have never been in a position to attempt that pass.

Offline nerdmann  
#63 Posted : Wednesday, May 9, 2012 10:54:57 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Applause Given: 2,294
Applause Received: 572

Originally Posted by: doddpower Go to Quoted Post
I credit it more to a pathetic defense not making what should be an easy stop in a critical situation. Not only the hail mary, but the long draw before it which made the 'hope and a prayer' pass possible. I wouldn't call it luck at all, just poor execution on defense. They should have never been in a position to attempt that pass.

The defense was what it was. They sucked, but there is a sense that they played up to their potential.

The offense however let us down.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
thanks Post received 1 applause.
zombieslayer on 5/10/2012(UTC)
Offline Zero2Cool  
#64 Posted : Thursday, May 10, 2012 5:12:24 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 1,834
Applause Received: 1,991

Originally Posted by: nerdmann Go to Quoted Post
The defense was what it was. They sucked, but there is a sense that they played up to their potential.

The offense gave up an interception and lost three fumbles. Crazy, since they doubled their point total on average at home during the regular season.

UserPostedImage
Click here and find the LATEST Packers News!
Offline DoddPower  
#65 Posted : Thursday, May 10, 2012 6:18:44 AM(UTC)
DoddPower

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2011

United States

Applause Given: 1,765
Applause Received: 417

Heh, yeah, I can't disagree with the offense letting us down, relatively speaking anyway. But that's going to happen at times against elite defenses, especially with a pass rush like the Giants have, and especially in the playoffs. That's why they have to be prepared for that and have a defense that doesn't give up "give me" touchdowns and can't be depended upon to hold a team a playoff team under 35 points. It was certainly a team loss, no doubt about it. But I think most of us knew when we saw the offense struggling a bit that there was no way we were going to win that game. Too many eggs in the offensive basket for my liking.

Offline Zero2Cool  
#66 Posted : Thursday, May 10, 2012 11:09:39 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 1,834
Applause Received: 1,991

I think the Packers play in and win this upcoming Super Bowl.

UserPostedImage
Click here and find the LATEST Packers News!
Offline play2win  
#67 Posted : Monday, May 14, 2012 12:35:52 PM(UTC)
play2win

United States

Applause Given: 1,076
Applause Received: 724

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool Go to Quoted Post
I think the Packers play in and win this upcoming Super Bowl.

I agree.

A lot has to go right, but I am impressed with the defensive upgrades, which our team desperately needed. Saturday was a nice move with the impending loss of Wells. I think Aaron will be well protected this season, with another year's experience for many of our OL. The skill positions should be spot on, and I think Gurley's possible addition onto the roster will pay dividends.

I might like our chances now more than possibly ever before.

Big questions at RB. I am hoping Starks gets it together to play an entire season, and hopefully Green comes back healthy and shows us why Ted chose him in R3 2011. Would love to see Green become a star for the Packers. This is a bit of fun looking back on his being drafted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZ_yMeIsaaQ
Offline PackerTraxx  
#68 Posted : Monday, May 14, 2012 2:12:57 PM(UTC)
PackerTraxx

Applause Given: 18
Applause Received: 127

Green is one of my favorites, it was really disappointing to see him hurt last year. I hope he can come back 100% and stay healthy, he could have a big impact.
Why is Jerry Kramer not in the Hall of Fame?
Offline nerdmann  
#69 Posted : Monday, May 14, 2012 2:22:29 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Originally Posted by: PackerTraxx Go to Quoted Post
Green is one of my favorites, it was really disappointing to see him hurt last year. I hope he can come back 100% and stay healthy, he could have a big impact.

Talk about the running game all you want, but these young guys, Green and Saine in particular are great with the screen game. How awesome will it be to see a screen that doesn't look like a Chinese fire drill?

Imagine a back who can consistently not only catch the ball but actually make that first guy miss. That's just gonna be so damn sweet.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline DakotaT  
#70 Posted : Monday, May 14, 2012 2:25:19 PM(UTC)
DakotaT

Applause Given: 622
Applause Received: 1,296

Talk about the running game all you want, but these young guys, Green and Saine in particular are great with the screen game. How awesome will it be to see a screen that doesn't look like a Chinese fire drill?

Imagine a back who can consistently not only catch the ball but actually make that first guy miss. That's just gonna be so damn sweet.

Yeah but can they pick up the blitzer? I just don't know how we were able to make it up and down the field last year without Brandon "dumb as a bag of hammers" Jackson. Sarcasm

UserPostedImage
nerdmann on 5/14/2012(UTC)
Offline PackerTraxx  
#71 Posted : Tuesday, May 15, 2012 9:11:54 AM(UTC)
PackerTraxx

Applause Given: 18
Applause Received: 127

A couple of good things, if the opposing team blitzes the screen should work well. If he is not a good blocker they could run him as a safety valve. I'm hoping he/Pack can do it all. Green has good size he should be able to block decently.
Why is Jerry Kramer not in the Hall of Fame?
Offline play2win  
#72 Posted : Tuesday, May 15, 2012 9:23:02 AM(UTC)
play2win

United States

nerdmann and Traxx, I can see him being a big part of our O as a receiver out of the backfield. Definitely.

Unfortunately, I think the screens are becoming a thing of the past. Most defenders over the last 6-7 yrs or so have gotten so keen on sniffing them out, that you hardly see them anymore. We used to be one of the best screen play teams back in the Holmgren era. I think that started to die out towards the end of the Sherman era. Now, you rarely even see them called, and when you do, they are rarely as successful as they used to be.

That said, Green was drafted for his ability to catch the ball and move the chains. I'm sure they'll find a way to get him involved if he stays healthy. I'm right with you, that it will be great to see.

Offline Pack93z  
#73 Posted : Tuesday, May 15, 2012 1:19:14 PM(UTC)
Pack93z

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Bronze: 2012

United States

Applause Given: 380
Applause Received: 1,020

Debating whether to jump into this topic again full tilt?

Lets just put it this way.. the pros of having a strong running game to accompany an elite passing game like ours currently far outweigh the cons ten fold.. not to mention preserving the longevity of Rodgers career.

Do I want to see more running the ball?

UserPostedImage

More like demand it.

Winning football games is about more than scoring points..
I think when there's enough will and aggression, there's no shortage of talent either.

UserPostedImage
play2win on 5/16/2012(UTC)
Offline nerdmann  
#74 Posted : Tuesday, May 15, 2012 2:09:35 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Originally Posted by: play2win Go to Quoted Post
nerdmann and Traxx, I can see him being a big part of our O as a receiver out of the backfield. Definitely.

Unfortunately, I think the screens are becoming a thing of the past. Most defenders over the last 6-7 yrs or so have gotten so keen on sniffing them out, that you hardly see them anymore. We used to be one of the best screen play teams back in the Holmgren era. I think that started to die out towards the end of the Sherman era. Now, you rarely even see them called, and when you do, they are rarely as successful as they used to be.

That said, Green was drafted for his ability to catch the ball and move the chains. I'm sure they'll find a way to get him involved if he stays healthy. I'm right with you, that it will be great to see.

Sherman didn't run the WCO. They had a power running game and medium to deep passing.
Mike McCarthy hasn't focused on screens, because we haven't had guys with that skill set. Imo, that's one of the reasons they drafted a guy like Green. Screens slow down the rush and are important misdirection play.
Offline play2win  
#75 Posted : Monday, May 21, 2012 7:21:43 AM(UTC)
play2win

United States

Sherman didn't run the WCO. They had a power running game and medium to deep passing.

Mike McCarthy hasn't focused on screens, because we haven't had guys with that skill set. Imo, that's one of the reasons they drafted a guy like Green. Screens slow down the rush and are important misdirection play.

I agree they are great plays, but I think that they've become less and less successful recently, as DL have become very adept at sniffing them out. League wide. That's my thinking anyway. Do I miss seeing more of them? Hell yeah. Maybe we see more with Green out of the backfield.
Rss Feed