Welcome to your Green Bay Packers Online Community!

Since 2006, PackersHome has been providing a unique experience for fans.
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
3 Pages123>
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline DakotaT  
#1 Posted : Thursday, July 12, 2012 6:34:39 PM(UTC)
DakotaT

Applause Given: 622
Applause Received: 1,293

I knew the son of a bitch had a hand in covering up that shit. Fuck Penn State and all the assholes that had a hand in this evil. I hope the victims sue them for everything all the way to the copper in the plumbing of the university's buildings.

http://openchannel.msnbc...-sandusky-sex-abuse?lite

http://www.thefreehrepor.../REPORT_FINAL_071212.pdf

And they should kick Penn State's asses out of the Big Ten too.

Paterno got off easy with death - he should be locked up with Sandusky.
UserPostedImage
Sponsor
Online dfosterf  
#2 Posted : Thursday, July 12, 2012 6:43:38 PM(UTC)
dfosterf

United States

Applause Given: 168
Applause Received: 364

That old fart could have been caught on national tv personally taggin' boys in the ass and this whole state would have said it wasn't him.

It's damn near goofy how the protectionism is here.

We don't have crust in our pot-pie, so we are whack in that arena also.

UserPostedImage
damn skippy I'm an owner. I currently own a full .00001924537805515393 % of the Green Bay Packers.

Offline Wade  
#3 Posted : Friday, July 13, 2012 5:30:57 AM(UTC)
Wade

Applause Given: 629
Applause Received: 645

Originally Posted by: dfosterf Go to Quoted Post
That old fart could have been caught on national tv personally taggin' boys in the ass and this whole state would have said it wasn't him.

It's damn near goofy how the protectionism is here.

We don't have crust in our pot-pie, so we are whack in that arena also.

Could be worse. In Britain they call it a "pudding". Or "pud" for short. Ahem.
None of the above. It wouldn't have been a wasted vote. Obama and Romney -- Those were the wasted votes.
Offline Wade  
#4 Posted : Friday, July 13, 2012 5:34:05 AM(UTC)
Wade

Re: Paterno, other PSU "leaders":

Acton is shown correct, again.

Power corrupts.

Every time.
None of the above. It wouldn't have been a wasted vote. Obama and Romney -- Those were the wasted votes.
Offline Pack93z  
#5 Posted : Friday, July 13, 2012 10:06:29 AM(UTC)
Pack93z

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Bronze: 2012

United States

Applause Given: 380
Applause Received: 1,017

While I agree with Wade in part with the Power corrupts statement in this case.. I don't think it covers most of the cause for the cover up.

Fear, IMO, is the primary driver of this cover up.

Fear of bad press.
Fear of loss of revenues.
Fear of affecting the football program.

But most of all fear to address a crime that far to often we as a society have an issue with confronting.

I heard it once on the radio this week.. a person may witness a child being hit with a club and would have no issue with stopping it.. but that same person will cower from putting a stop to sexual abuse of the same child. Is it really that different of a form of abuse? Is there some shame is stopping it?

UW-Madison tried as well to distance themselves for a bit this past year from an incident of the same nature with a much older victim. Finally they told the story of the dismissal of a high ranking member of the athletic department.

They would not have been so delicate with a physical abuse story.. but sexual abuse is somehow even more of a taboo topic.

Why try to hide it or show any compassion towards the aggressor in these cases.. report it, let an independent party investigate it and most of all do everything in your power to stop it.

Or in the end.. is it really a fear about a lawsuit?

If I am Penn State, instead of trying to whitewash the issue into the past.. buck up and use this as a mechanism to actually incite positive change for not only the university but for society as well.

Something in this nature.

We, via those put in charge, committed a number of errors; errors that more than likely destroyed year if not complete lives of the victims. But we vow to never have it happen here again.. and do our best as a university to drive change well past our campus.

Screw worrying about band aid fixes like pulling down a statue... like that is going to invoke change.. instead own up to the mistakes (and yes the pending lawsuits to follow, they are coming one way or another) and truly become an advocate for change.

After all... you are a facility that is suppose to teach and develop. What better way to address this situation than to become a true advocate for change.

They won't more than likely.. they will follow along an let their fears drive them.
I think when there's enough will and aggression, there's no shortage of talent either.

UserPostedImage
thanks Post received 1 applause.
Wade on 7/18/2012(UTC)
Offline Porforis  
#6 Posted : Friday, July 13, 2012 10:26:55 AM(UTC)
Porforis

United States

Applause Received: 333

Part of the unique fear when it comes to child sexual assault is because it is such a severe, damaging crime that is about as socially reviled as murder. However, unlike with something as brazen as murder, there's the ability and temptation to cover up sexual assaults.

The victim may feel as though they are at fault, or be afraid of reprisal, or worry that people will judge them, or in a case like this with such a high profile perpetrator, that nobody would believe them and they'd live their life labeled as a liar.

The witnesses and those that had the ability to speak out but didn't are indeed afraid of what will happen if things get out, but since this is such an easy crime to cover up given the effect of the victim, the fear likely took over and they figured they were better off saying nothing, maybe giving Sandusky a private scolding so it didn't happen again.
UserPostedImage
Offline Cheesey  
#7 Posted : Friday, July 13, 2012 1:28:20 PM(UTC)
Cheesey

Applause Given: 159
Applause Received: 326

The sad part is the guy that did it still thinks he did nothing wrong.
The coverup just made it possible for the creep to go on doing what he wanted with no consequence.....till now, that is.
As far as Paterno, it just goes to show you that putting ANY human on a pedestal will sooner or later let you down. It happened in Packer land with Favre, although he didn't do quite as disgusting of things like Sandirtbag did.
UserPostedImage
Offline Formo  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, July 17, 2012 7:20:35 PM(UTC)
Formo

Applause Given: 215
Applause Received: 152

I get the vitriol towards JoePa. I really do. But I can't believe people's reactions towards him are just as harsh OR WORSE than their reactions to Sandusky. McQueary was the fellow that caught Sandusky in the act, and not a single word is said about him. But JoePa? He MUST BURN!

The axe should fall on every single leader at PSU. But I don't think giving the football program the 'Death Penalty' is the best repercussion.
UserPostedImage
Thanks to TheViking88 for the sig!!
Offline DakotaT  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, July 17, 2012 8:02:50 PM(UTC)
DakotaT

Originally Posted by: Formo Go to Quoted Post
I get the vitriol towards JoePa. I really do. But I can't believe people's reactions towards him are just as harsh OR WORSE than their reactions to Sandusky. McQueary was the fellow that caught Sandusky in the act, and not a single word is said about him. But JoePa? He MUST BURN!

The axe should fall on every single leader at PSU. But I don't think giving the football program the 'Death Penalty' is the best repercussion.

Yes, I'm sure you're right Formo. Face. Palm.

Let's examine what St. Joe did here. He knew years ago what Sandusky was doing, and chose to protect the program. In doing so, many other little boys had their innocence descicrated by an animal, as Joe had his own statue erected.

If you can't see the horror in that, than I truly feel sorry for you. Fuck Penn State and their football program, and Joe will be judged in the court of public opinion.

I'm not really a big believer in defining moments because people make mistakes and should be given second chances. Joe Paterno did not make a mistake - he made a calculated decision to protect his reputation and that is appalling to most people.

He died too early because he should be indicted himself.
UserPostedImage
Offline Porforis  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, July 17, 2012 8:11:20 PM(UTC)
Porforis

United States

Applause Received: 333

Originally Posted by: Dakotat Go to Quoted Post

Let's examine what St. Joe did here. He knew years ago what Sandusky was doing, and chose to protect the program. In doing so, many other little boys had their innocence descicrated by an animal, as Joe had his own statue erected.

If you can't see the horror in that, than I truly feel sorry for you. Fuck Penn State and their football program, and Joe will be judged in the court of public opinion.

I'm not really a big believer in defining moments because people make mistakes and should be given second chances. Joe Paterno did not make a mistake - he made a calculated decision to protect his reputation and that is appalling to most people.

I think Formo's point is that while the person responsible for the crimes themselves and the people enabling and allowing it are pretty close in terms of their deserved punishment in hell, people seem to be spending a lot more of their time ranting about Paterno than they are Sandusky at this point. Yes, part of that is that the lie has recently been torn off of the Paterno legacy. But let's not lose focus on the perp either.
UserPostedImage
Offline DakotaT  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, July 17, 2012 8:46:21 PM(UTC)
DakotaT

Originally Posted by: Porforis Go to Quoted Post
I think Formo's point is that while the person responsible for the crimes themselves and the people enabling and allowing it are pretty close in terms of their deserved punishment in hell, people seem to be spending a lot more of their time ranting about Paterno than they are Sandusky at this point. Yes, part of that is that the lie has recently been torn off of the Paterno legacy. But let's not lose focus on the perp either.

No, this is more about tearing down the person regarded as a saint. This man reached demigod status in Happy Valley, and because he didn't have the courage to face the scandal, he deserves to be torn down - even in death.

Sandusky faced trial and gets to spend the rest of his life in prison. There are plenty more to point fingers at in the Penn State family - and in time that will all come out.

The people that we shouldn't lose sight of are the victims.
UserPostedImage
Offline Wade  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, July 18, 2012 7:14:17 AM(UTC)
Wade

Originally Posted by: Formo Go to Quoted Post

I guess I see it this way. Sandusky is like a rabid dog. I have no problem with a rabid dog being put down (though I would cry forever if he were mine), and I have no problem with Sandusky being institutionalized forever. But, in part, Sandusky's problem is likely due to a genetic or psychiatric short-circuit in his brain that he may not have full cognitive responsibility for. When I hear Sandusky's interviews or read his public statements, I cringe and want to vomit. But there's a part of me that also cringes because he doesn't seem to see what's wrong. Unlike everyone else above him who seem to have been driven by the PR "lets spin this and minimize/avoid the damage" mentality, Sandusky comes off not so much as someone who denies his actions as someone who thinks those actions were out of love. Sandusky, IMO, has done evil things that need severe punishment of the sort he has been meted by the court system and the court of public opinion. But he's also clearly sick and not right and the head.

Whereas with Paterno and the rest of the Penn State muckety-mucks, they made a conscious decision to cover-up. To try to manipulate that court of public opinion. Whereas Sandusky should have known better, but didn't, they knew better. And still did what they did.

That, IMO, DOES make them worse in very real sense.

Yes, Sandusky did horrible things and greatly traumatized young people who should never have to be so traumatized. Sandusky's illness should not absolve him of the punishment he gets. But its the manipulative, unconscionable actions of people like Paterno, Schultz, Curley, and Spanier, and how they affect the actions like those of the people below them all the way down to the janitors, that ensure that the victims of child sexual abuse are not just traumatized, but traumatized for life far to an extent far greater than they have to be.

thanks Post received 2 applause.
dfosterf on 7/22/2012(UTC), 4PackGirl on 7/23/2012(UTC)
Offline Formo  
#13 Posted : Sunday, July 22, 2012 5:17:14 PM(UTC)
Formo

Applause Given: 215
Applause Received: 152

Originally Posted by: Dakotat Go to Quoted Post

Continuing your crusade to prove your stupidity, I see. (You know I love you).

You missed my point, but that's ok. I forgive you. Just read the first sentence I wrote again, and if you still don't get my point, just continue re-reading it until you do.
UserPostedImage
Thanks to TheViking88 for the sig!!
Online dfosterf  
#14 Posted : Sunday, July 22, 2012 6:05:43 PM(UTC)
dfosterf

United States

Applause Received: 364

Originally Posted by: wade Go to Quoted Post
I guess I see it this way. Sandusky is like a rabid dog. I have no problem with a rabid dog being put down (though I would cry forever if he were mine), and I have no problem with Sandusky being institutionalized forever. But, in part, Sandusky's problem is likely due to a genetic or psychiatric short-circuit in his brain that he may not have full cognitive responsibility for. When I hear Sandusky's interviews or read his public statements, I cringe and want to vomit. But there's a part of me that also cringes because he doesn't seem to see what's wrong. Unlike everyone else above him who seem to have been driven by the PR "lets spin this and minimize/avoid the damage" mentality, Sandusky comes off not so much as someone who denies his actions as someone who thinks those actions were out of love. Sandusky, IMO, has done evil things that need severe punishment of the sort he has been meted by the court system and the court of public opinion. But he's also clearly sick and not right and the head.

Whereas with Paterno and the rest of the Penn State muckety-mucks, they made a conscious decision to cover-up. To try to manipulate that court of public opinion. Whereas Sandusky should have known better, but didn't, they knew better. And still did what they did.

That, IMO, DOES make them worse in very real sense.

Yes, Sandusky did horrible things and greatly traumatized young people who should never have to be so traumatized. Sandusky's illness should not absolve him of the punishment he gets. But its the manipulative, unconscionable actions of people like Paterno, Schultz, Curley, and Spanier, and how they affect the actions like those of the people below them all the way down to the janitors, that ensure that the victims of child sexual abuse are not just traumatized, but traumatized for life far to an extent far greater than they have to be.

See? I told you folks this shit on day one. Some pronounced me a dick for creaming JoePa.

Wade (as usual) has it so very right.

UserPostedImage
damn skippy I'm an owner. I currently own a full .00001924537805515393 % of the Green Bay Packers.

Offline Zero2Cool  
#15 Posted : Monday, July 23, 2012 5:12:15 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 1,832
Applause Received: 1,978

Originally Posted by: dfosterf Go to Quoted Post
See? I told you folks this shit on day one. Some pronounced me a dick for creaming JoePa.

Wade (as usual) has it so very right.

I don't think anyone said much in any light towards you, personally. I think you were speaking more on opinion than fact so I don't really know what you're pounding your chest here for. But its early and surely this won't be the first time I'm confused today! haha

When I heard there was a statue of Joe Paterno, I was glad to learn they were taking it down. I believe it was removed over the weekend.

I think Joe Paterno could have been viewed as more of a hero if he had immediately did the right thing upon learning of the incidents. Instead, it appears he worried more about self preservation.

UserPostedImage
Click here and find the LATEST Packers News!
Rss Feed