You are not logged in. Join Free! | Log In Thank you!    

Welcome to your Green Bay Packers Online Community!

Since 2006, PackersHome has been providing a unique experience for fans.
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages123>
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline wpr  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, July 31, 2012 9:32:56 PM(UTC)
wpr

United States

Applause Given: 2,416
Applause Received: 1,202

Oorah boys.
UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Quote:
These bikers are former Marines. They are hydrating & putting a cold compress on the neck of a proud Marine (Zach Powers) as he stood in his dress blues in 105* weather, holding his salute for the entire 5-hour 4th of July parade in Washington D.C.
link

Edited by moderator Tuesday, July 30, 2013 12:40:36 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

"You don't hurt 'em if you don't hit 'em." Chesty Puller

UserPostedImage

thanks Post received 1 applause.
zombieslayer on 7/31/2012(UTC)
Sponsor
Offline zombieslayer  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, July 31, 2012 9:49:19 PM(UTC)
zombieslayer

Applause Given: 778
Applause Received: 495

I don't even think I can hold that for 10 minutes. Absolutely amazing he held it for 5 hours. Applause
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage

(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)

2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. Ted Thompson Mike McCarthy Aaron Rodgers
Offline wpr  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, July 31, 2012 10:06:06 PM(UTC)
wpr

United States

Originally Posted by: zombieslayer Go to Quoted Post
I don't even think I can hold that for 10 minutes. Absolutely amazing he held it for 5 hours. Applause

I think I have mentioned it before but I will do it again. This reminds me of my Dad. Army not Marine. When my son graduated from Basic everyone in the audience stood as the Grad Class marched off the parade grounds. A lot of them stood there talking. As time passed almost 1/3 of them walked out. More and more left as time passed by.

Not Dad. He stood there as erect as a 70 year old man with cancer could stand. In the heat of July in Columbia, SC. It was near 100 degrees. After about 3-4 minutes I could see his arm quivering so I leaned over and whispered to him, "Dad, the Flag has passed by already. You don't have to keep saluting". He told me he wanted to salute the entire unit. I forget now how many there were I suppose it was more than 1000 men and women.

I reached over and held up the bottom of his arm with both or my hands. More than 10-15 minutes passed by before they all left the field. I could feel it all the way down my arms and into my neck. (Bad vertebrae from a car accident didn't help me none. But then Dad had broken his back in a car accident. Messed his neck and shoulders in 2nd accident. His hip and back again in a 3rd one.) I had jammed my elbows into my chest to support them. I had to shift my weight a few times as my legs were getting tired. I miss that man.

I was in my 40's but I can not imagine standing at attention for an hour little alone 5 hours.

UserPostedImage

thanks Post received 3 applause.
zombieslayer on 8/1/2012(UTC), porky88 on 8/3/2012(UTC), Cheesey on 1/22/2013(UTC)
Offline dfosterf  
#4 Posted : Thursday, August 2, 2012 5:50:38 PM(UTC)
dfosterf

United States

Applause Given: 159
Applause Received: 337

I hate to be a dick, and I do honor how he's rollin', and why he's rollin'...

I have to also honor our standards, it is what makes us proud. I don't expect you to view this post as anything but Foster being a complete dick...

That pic depicts a totally unacceptable Marine Corps Salute. Period.

Semper Fi

We have standards, and we really try not to deviate, since 1775.

UserPostedImage
damn skippy I'm an owner. I currently own a full .00001924537805515393 % of the Green Bay Packers.

Offline wpr  
#5 Posted : Thursday, August 2, 2012 5:54:11 PM(UTC)
wpr

United States

Originally Posted by: dfosterf Go to Quoted Post
I hate to be a dick, and I do honor how he's rollin', and why he's rollin'...

I have to also honor our standards, it is what makes us proud. I don't expect you to view this post as anything but Foster being a complete dick...

That pic depicts a totally unacceptable Marine Corps Salute. Period.

Semper Fi

We have standards, and we really try not to deviate, since 1775.

Yep I saw it. I figure that was in the 4th hour. But as they say, no excuse Sir.

UserPostedImage

Offline dfosterf  
#6 Posted : Thursday, August 2, 2012 6:11:12 PM(UTC)
dfosterf

United States

Originally Posted by: wpr Go to Quoted Post
Yep I saw it. I figure that was in the 4th hour. But as they say, no excuse Sir.

There is a very good reason why we are like that- It has much to do with us riding on squid ships, being subordinate to squid Boat/Ship Captains, and wanting our way as we are the real pros (and trying to get them to habla) in the whole war-thing, (in our collective opinion) etc. etc. etc. We must exemplify pure military discipline as best as is possible for them to listen to us at all-- They are arrogant Navy squids, after all... lol
UserPostedImage
damn skippy I'm an owner. I currently own a full .00001924537805515393 % of the Green Bay Packers.

Offline Zero2Cool  
#7 Posted : Thursday, August 2, 2012 6:15:20 PM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

United States

Applause Given: 1,743
Applause Received: 1,792

Devil Puppy.

UserPostedImage
Click here and find the LATEST Packers News!
Offline wpr  
#8 Posted : Thursday, August 2, 2012 6:21:36 PM(UTC)
wpr

United States

foster do you know the young Marine stood there so long? Was he simply showing respect or was it an initiation of some kind? If he did this why not his whole team, squad or platoon?

UserPostedImage

Offline dfosterf  
#9 Posted : Thursday, August 2, 2012 6:34:30 PM(UTC)
dfosterf

United States

My recollection is that he chose to do so on his own volition, without any affiliation or support from his unit.

I don't know if you ever saw it, but I remain touched by the faithful dog that wouldn't leave his Green Beret (SEAL?)"dad" AT ALL in the funeral home. (Flag - draped - coffin) He (the dog) had not seen his master in over 13 months. It did not matter. He was his boy, and he was going nowhere, as he knew who was there under that flag.

edit- found it-- still breaks my heart-- look at that---profound

http://abcnews.go.com/US...uneral/story?id=14378885

Edited by user Thursday, August 2, 2012 6:46:10 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

UserPostedImage

Offline wpr  
#10 Posted : Thursday, August 2, 2012 6:49:42 PM(UTC)
wpr

United States

yes I have seen the photo. I find it remarkable.

UserPostedImage

Offline dfosterf  
#11 Posted : Thursday, August 2, 2012 7:03:12 PM(UTC)
dfosterf

United States

If dogs dig you, chances are really quite decent you are a good man. If they seem to hate you, as a general rule, you are probably a narcissitic arrogant prick and ought to commit suicide as the true dredge on society you are, even if no one but the dog knows it yet.

You are on your own on the cat thing.

Flapper

UserPostedImage

wpr on 8/2/2012(UTC)
Offline Wade  
#12 Posted : Friday, August 3, 2012 4:57:13 AM(UTC)
Wade

Applause Given: 562
Applause Received: 588

Difference between a dog and a cat:
You are at the center of the dog's world. The cat is at the center of the cat's world.

None of the above. It wouldn't have been a wasted vote. Obama and Romney -- Those were the wasted votes.
Offline vikesrule  
#13 Posted : Friday, August 3, 2012 7:48:23 AM(UTC)
vikesrule

Applause Given: 60
Applause Received: 193

Originally Posted by: dfosterf Go to Quoted Post
..I don't know if you ever saw it, but I remain touched by the faithful dog that wouldn't leave his Green Beret (SEAL?)"dad" AT ALL in the funeral home. (Flag - draped - coffin) He (the dog) had not seen his master in over 13 months. It did not matter. He was his boy, and he was going nowhere, as he knew who was there under that flag.

edit- found it-- still breaks my heart-- look at that---profound

http://abcnews.go.com/US...uneral/story?id=14378885

Yes foster, that one touched my heart as well....incredible.

This one also twisted my heart. Especially since it involved a dying 12 year old boy, Cody Green, and his wish to be a US Marine.
My salute and respect goes to the young Marine that took this boy's dying wish to heart....well done Sergeant Mark Dolfini...honor.
Rest in peace young Cody, your time was way too soon.

UserPostedImage

Quote:
Marine Stands Guard for 8 Hours at Hospital Room of Dying Boy

12-year-old Cody Green always admired the strength and courage of the U.S. Marines. Last month, it was the Marines admiring the strength and courage of Cody.

To honor his undaunted optimism and long-time struggle with leukemia, during which he beat the cancer into remission three times, the Indiana fifth-grader was made an honorary Marine.

But that wasn't enough for Sergeant Mark Dolfini who took it upon himself to drive over to Riley Hospital for Children where the boy was bed-ridden.

He made the decision to stand guard in his dress uniform at Cody's hospital door all night long, for eight hours straight. It was the night before Cody passed.

Offline porky88  
#14 Posted : Friday, August 3, 2012 3:00:16 PM(UTC)
porky88

Applause Given: 156
Applause Received: 284

Originally Posted by: wpr Go to Quoted Post
I think I have mentioned it before but I will do it again. This reminds me of my Dad. Army not Marine. When my son graduated from Basic everyone in the audience stood as the Grad Class marched off the parade grounds. A lot of them stood there talking. As time passed almost 1/3 of them walked out. More and more left as time passed by.

Not Dad. He stood there as erect as a 70 year old man with cancer could stand. In the heat of July in Columbia, SC. It was near 100 degrees. After about 3-4 minutes I could see his arm quivering so I leaned over and whispered to him, "Dad, the Flag has passed by already. You don't have to keep saluting". He told me he wanted to salute the entire unit. I forget now how many there were I suppose it was more than 1000 men and women.

I reached over and held up the bottom of his arm with both or my hands. More than 10-15 minutes passed by before they all left the field. I could feel it all the way down my arms and into my neck. (Bad vertebrae from a car accident didn't help me none. But then Dad had broken his back in a car accident. Messed his neck and shoulders in 2nd accident. His hip and back again in a 3rd one.) I had jammed my elbows into my chest to support them. I had to shift my weight a few times as my legs were getting tired. I miss that man.

I was in my 40's but I can not imagine standing at attention for an hour little alone 5 hours.

That's a heck of a story. Sounds like you two were close.
Offline Pack93z  
#15 Posted : Tuesday, September 11, 2012 1:15:28 PM(UTC)
Pack93z

U.S. Minor Islands

Applause Given: 353
Applause Received: 936

A person certainly reflects on days like today.. if you can't tell my mind has been wandering all day.

Anyway.. remembering not only those that served in response.. but to those in which a response was needed.

UserPostedImage

Can't believe it has been 11 years.
The wolves will never lose sleep over the feelings of the sheep.

UserPostedImage
wpr on 9/12/2012(UTC)