Join Our Green Bay Packers Interactive Community!

We have been providing fans with the best source of Packers information since 2006!
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
2 Pages12>
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Since69  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, August 22, 2012 5:16:57 PM(UTC)
Since69

Applause Given: 83
Applause Received: 81

MJD on the trade block?

How crazy-good would our offense be with a running threat like him? Especially in December...
UserPostedImage
Sponsor
Offline millertime  
#2 Posted : Thursday, August 23, 2012 12:47:04 PM(UTC)
millertime

Applause Given: 3
Applause Received: 6

First of all, we al know that there is 0% chance Ted Thompson will give up a high pick for MJD (only 27 years old).

But, hypothetically speaking, I'd like to see what you guys think. So answer these questions..

1. What would you give up for MJD (NFL leading rusher last season)?

2. How would he change our offense?

3. Which other players in the NFL would you give up a first (or multiple picks) round pick for?

Go!
People who work together will win, whether it be against complex football defenses, or the problems of modern society.
-Vince Lombardi
Offline millertime  
#3 Posted : Thursday, August 23, 2012 12:52:04 PM(UTC)
millertime

Applause Given: 3
Applause Received: 6

1. I would give up a first round pick. He would make our offense the greatest all-time.

Pros:
Can block, catch, and get the tough yards. He will be in his prime for 3 more years, and average frist round picks have contracts of 4-5 years. Seems like taking an All-Pro for 3 years make more sense than grabbing a rookie who may or may not turn out for 5 years. Will dominate in winter.

Cons: Takes away salary cap space from more important positions (defense, offensive line). Takes the ball out of A-Rod's hands more often. Has a lot of mileage. Smart, but opinionated player.

2. See above.

3. Players I'd give up two first round picks for: Joe Thomas, Pierre-Paul, Revis, Calvin Johnson.
People who work together will win, whether it be against complex football defenses, or the problems of modern society.
-Vince Lombardi
Offline zombieslayer  
#4 Posted : Thursday, August 23, 2012 12:57:47 PM(UTC)
zombieslayer

Applause Given: 778
Applause Received: 495

Nothing. Don't want him.

He'll take plays away from Aaron Rodgers and take $$$ away from our D, which already is bad.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage

(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)

2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. Ted Thompson Mike McCarthy Aaron Rodgers
thanks Post received 4 applause.
nerdmann on 8/23/2012(UTC), DakotaT on 8/23/2012(UTC), macbob on 8/26/2012(UTC), hardrocker950 on 8/27/2012(UTC)
Offline QCHuskerFan  
#5 Posted : Thursday, August 23, 2012 2:14:58 PM(UTC)
QCHuskerFan

Applause Given: 78
Applause Received: 139

I would give up nothing. He's a RB. He's disposable in today's NFL. Teams don't run the ball to win games. They run the ball to slow the pass rush because you win by throwing the ball. The top 5 rushing teams last year were Broncos, Texans, Panthers, Vikings, and Eagles. The worst rushing team last year was the Super Bowl Champion Giants. This is not the 1970's. Rushing yards is just not that critical.

I told a Bear fan last winter that I couldn't wait till they paid big money to Forte. Big money RB's are a great way to screw up your Cap for years.

I would add Larry Fitzgerald to your list of players I might give up more than a First for.
blank
thanks Post received 1 applause.
zombieslayer on 8/23/2012(UTC)
Offline nerdmann  
#6 Posted : Thursday, August 23, 2012 2:32:26 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Applause Given: 2,556
Applause Received: 640

Originally Posted by: QCHuskerFan Go to Quoted Post
I would give up nothing. He's a RB. He's disposable in today's NFL. Teams don't run the ball to win games. They run the ball to slow the pass rush because you win by throwing the ball. The top 5 rushing teams last year were Broncos, Texans, Panthers, Vikings, and Eagles. The worst rushing team last year was the Super Bowl Champion Giants. This is not the 1970's. Rushing yards is just not that critical.

I told a Bear fan last winter that I couldn't wait till they paid big money to Forte. Big money RB's are a great way to screw up your Cap for years.

I would add Larry Fitzgerald to your list of players I might give up more than a First for.

Then again, it would be nice to have a guy who can run out the clock when we have a lead and/or produce in short yardage situations. But we might already have that guy. Or two.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline porky88  
#7 Posted : Thursday, August 23, 2012 2:36:51 PM(UTC)
porky88

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2012Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2013Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2014

Applause Given: 188
Applause Received: 379

I'd give up a first rounder. The best offense under Mike McCarthy was 2009. The Packers had a 1,200-yard running back that season with Ryan Grant. There's no reason they couldn't duplicate that success with a quality runner. MJD is that type of player. I understand the skepticism, because of today's pass-happy NFL, but the idea that just one pure way wins Super Bowl is as ridiculous as suggesting that one pure way builds a Super Bowl winner.

MJD wouldn't be a detriment to the team. He'd help make the offense more efficient, especially in short yardage situations. The shotgun and five-wide sets on third and three just doesn't cut. MJD picks that up most of the time ala Ahman Green in '03. This keeps drives alive and keeps the ball in Aaron Rodgers' hands instead of punting it away and allowing Jay Cutler (or whomever) to go to work on a very mediocre defense.
Offline dhpackr  
#8 Posted : Thursday, August 23, 2012 2:38:35 PM(UTC)
dhpackr

Applause Given: 36
Applause Received: 36

if Ted Thompson wanted MJD he could have simply drafted him.
So if you meet me Have some courtesy, Have some sympathy, and some taste
Use all your well-learned politesse, Or I'll lay your soul to waste
Offline zombieslayer  
#9 Posted : Thursday, August 23, 2012 3:02:24 PM(UTC)
zombieslayer

Applause Given: 778
Applause Received: 495

Originally Posted by: QCHuskerFan Go to Quoted Post

This ranks among the best posts ever.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage

(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)

2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. Ted Thompson Mike McCarthy Aaron Rodgers
Offline beast  
#10 Posted : Thursday, August 23, 2012 3:19:15 PM(UTC)
beast

Applause Given: 219
Applause Received: 295

Originally Posted by: millertime Go to Quoted Post
1. What would you give up for MJD (NFL leading rusher last season)?

2. How would he change our offense?

3. Which other players in the NFL would you give up a first (or multiple picks) round pick for?

1) Trade a 2nd and 3rd to get him (if that would work... probably wouldn't, but doesn't hurt to try)

2) MJD wouldn't help "our offense" because then we'd re-trade him to the Cardinals for 3-4 DE Calais Campbell.... and tell Campbell to go get the other team QBs... and tell the DL to go get the ball..

or maybe to the Broncos... MJD would keep defense honest going against Peyton and help Peyton strength his career... in return the Packers would get Von Miller for OLB ... and move Matthews or Perry to MLB... and the Packers could run a 2-3 dime defense a lot with Matthews, Miller and Perry as the 3 LBers.

basically help the defensive pass rush out... and the defense has a lot of big contracts coming up in another year... Raji, Matthews, Burnett, Pickett... also on offense there is Starks, Finley.... and I feel like I'm forgetting some... I think Lang resigned already right?
America's team Of the people by the people for the people Packer People
UserPostedImage
~ madeby ~ pack93z ~
Offline beast  
#11 Posted : Thursday, August 23, 2012 3:20:58 PM(UTC)
beast

Applause Given: 219
Applause Received: 295

Originally Posted by: dhpackr Go to Quoted Post
if Ted Thompson wanted MJD he could have simply drafted him.

He took Hawk and Jennings before MJD ...

Can we trade Hawk for MJD? ...

then maybe trade MJD for a DL pass rusher in a year?
America's team Of the people by the people for the people Packer People
UserPostedImage
~ madeby ~ pack93z ~
Offline Since69  
#12 Posted : Thursday, August 23, 2012 3:52:11 PM(UTC)
Since69

Oh, look. A speculative thread about the Packers possibly acquiring MJD... Ten replies in 20 minutes... not bad. Just, uh, you know, go ahead and keep ignoring the eerily similar thread I started a full day ago... that's cool.

As for me, I'd love MJD here. Especially in December. I'd give a player and a pick. Maybe even a high pick. And I'm sure Jax could use some help at receiver...
UserPostedImage
Offline Zero2Cool  
#13 Posted : Thursday, August 23, 2012 3:56:27 PM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 1,911
Applause Received: 2,117

Originally Posted by: Since69 Go to Quoted Post
Oh, look. A speculative thread about the Packers possibly acquiring MJD... Ten replies in 20 minutes... not bad. Just, uh, you know, go ahead and keep ignoring the eerily similar thread I started a full day ago... that's cool.

As for me, I'd love MJD here. Especially in December. I'd give a player and a pick. Maybe even a high pick. And I'm sure Jax could use some help at receiver...

lmaoLOL
UserPostedImage
Offline Since69  
#14 Posted : Thursday, August 23, 2012 4:11:14 PM(UTC)
Since69

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool Go to Quoted Post
lmaoLOL

It was more sarcastic than snarky, but thanks for the merge...
UserPostedImage
Offline macbob  
#15 Posted : Sunday, August 26, 2012 2:29:26 PM(UTC)
macbob

Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Silver: 2012

Applause Given: 294
Applause Received: 242

What Zombie said. CB (as long as he holds onto the ball) should provide us sufficient running threat to make our play action passes effective.

Originally Posted by: zombieslayer Go to Quoted Post
Nothing. Don't want him.

He'll take plays away from Aaron Rodgers and take $$$ away from our D, which already is bad.

UserPostedImage