Green Bay Packers Forum

Welcome to your Green Bay Packers Online Community!

Since 2006, PackersHome has been providing a unique experience for fans.
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
3 Pages123>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Since69  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, August 22, 2012 5:16:57 PM(UTC)

Applause Given: 83
Applause Received: 83
MJD on the trade block?

How crazy-good would our offense be with a running threat like him? Especially in December...
Offline millertime  
#2 Posted : Thursday, August 23, 2012 12:47:04 PM(UTC)

Applause Given: 6
Applause Received: 36
First of all, we al know that there is 0% chance Ted Thompson will give up a high pick for MJD (only 27 years old).

But, hypothetically speaking, I'd like to see what you guys think. So answer these questions..

1. What would you give up for MJD (NFL leading rusher last season)?

2. How would he change our offense?

3. Which other players in the NFL would you give up a first (or multiple picks) round pick for?

Go!
Offline millertime  
#3 Posted : Thursday, August 23, 2012 12:52:04 PM(UTC)

Applause Given: 6
1. I would give up a first round pick. He would make our offense the greatest all-time.

Pros:
Can block, catch, and get the tough yards. He will be in his prime for 3 more years, and average frist round picks have contracts of 4-5 years. Seems like taking an All-Pro for 3 years make more sense than grabbing a rookie who may or may not turn out for 5 years. Will dominate in winter.

Cons: Takes away salary cap space from more important positions (defense, offensive line). Takes the ball out of A-Rod's hands more often. Has a lot of mileage. Smart, but opinionated player.

2. See above.

3. Players I'd give up two first round picks for: Joe Thomas, Pierre-Paul, Revis, Calvin Johnson.
Offline zombieslayer  
#4 Posted : Thursday, August 23, 2012 12:57:47 PM(UTC)

Applause Given: 778
Applause Received: 495
Nothing. Don't want him.

He'll take plays away from Aaron Rodgers and take $$$ away from our D, which already is bad.
thanks Post received 4 applause.
nerdmann on 8/23/2012(UTC), DakotaT on 8/23/2012(UTC), macbob on 8/26/2012(UTC), hardrocker950 on 8/27/2012(UTC)
Offline QCHuskerFan  
#5 Posted : Thursday, August 23, 2012 2:14:58 PM(UTC)

Applause Given: 202
Applause Received: 271
I would give up nothing. He's a RB. He's disposable in today's NFL. Teams don't run the ball to win games. They run the ball to slow the pass rush because you win by throwing the ball. The top 5 rushing teams last year were Broncos, Texans, Panthers, Vikings, and Eagles. The worst rushing team last year was the Super Bowl Champion Giants. This is not the 1970's. Rushing yards is just not that critical.

I told a Bear fan last winter that I couldn't wait till they paid big money to Forte. Big money RB's are a great way to screw up your Cap for years.

I would add Larry Fitzgerald to your list of players I might give up more than a First for.
thanks Post received 1 applause.
zombieslayer on 8/23/2012(UTC)
Offline nerdmann  
#6 Posted : Thursday, August 23, 2012 2:32:26 PM(UTC)

Applause Given: 5,797
Applause Received: 1,315
QCHuskerFan said: Go to Quoted Post
I would give up nothing. He's a RB. He's disposable in today's NFL. Teams don't run the ball to win games. They run the ball to slow the pass rush because you win by throwing the ball. The top 5 rushing teams last year were Broncos, Texans, Panthers, Vikings, and Eagles. The worst rushing team last year was the Super Bowl Champion Giants. This is not the 1970's. Rushing yards is just not that critical.

I told a Bear fan last winter that I couldn't wait till they paid big money to Forte. Big money RB's are a great way to screw up your Cap for years.

I would add Larry Fitzgerald to your list of players I might give up more than a First for.

Then again, it would be nice to have a guy who can run out the clock when we have a lead and/or produce in short yardage situations. But we might already have that guy. Or two.
Offline porky88  
#7 Posted : Thursday, August 23, 2012 2:36:51 PM(UTC)

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2012Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2013Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2014PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Silver: 2015

Applause Given: 252
Applause Received: 511
I'd give up a first rounder. The best offense under Mike McCarthy was 2009. The Packers had a 1,200-yard running back that season with Ryan Grant. There's no reason they couldn't duplicate that success with a quality runner. MJD is that type of player. I understand the skepticism, because of today's pass-happy NFL, but the idea that just one pure way wins Super Bowl is as ridiculous as suggesting that one pure way builds a Super Bowl winner.

MJD wouldn't be a detriment to the team. He'd help make the offense more efficient, especially in short yardage situations. The shotgun and five-wide sets on third and three just doesn't cut. MJD picks that up most of the time ala Ahman Green in '03. This keeps drives alive and keeps the ball in Aaron Rodgers' hands instead of punting it away and allowing Jay Cutler (or whomever) to go to work on a very mediocre defense.
Offline dhpackr  
#8 Posted : Thursday, August 23, 2012 2:38:35 PM(UTC)

Applause Given: 36
if Ted Thompson wanted MJD he could have simply drafted him.
Offline zombieslayer  
#9 Posted : Thursday, August 23, 2012 3:02:24 PM(UTC)

Applause Given: 778
Applause Received: 495
QCHuskerFan said: Go to Quoted Post

This ranks among the best posts ever.
Offline beast  
#10 Posted : Thursday, August 23, 2012 3:19:15 PM(UTC)

Applause Given: 512
Applause Received: 607
millertime said: Go to Quoted Post
1. What would you give up for MJD (NFL leading rusher last season)?

2. How would he change our offense?

3. Which other players in the NFL would you give up a first (or multiple picks) round pick for?

1) Trade a 2nd and 3rd to get him (if that would work... probably wouldn't, but doesn't hurt to try)

2) MJD wouldn't help "our offense" because then we'd re-trade him to the Cardinals for 3-4 DE Calais Campbell.... and tell Campbell to go get the other team QBs... and tell the DL to go get the ball..

or maybe to the Broncos... MJD would keep defense honest going against Peyton and help Peyton strength his career... in return the Packers would get Von Miller for OLB ... and move Matthews or Perry to MLB... and the Packers could run a 2-3 dime defense a lot with Matthews, Miller and Perry as the 3 LBers.

basically help the defensive pass rush out... and the defense has a lot of big contracts coming up in another year... Raji, Matthews, Burnett, Pickett... also on offense there is Starks, Finley.... and I feel like I'm forgetting some... I think Lang resigned already right?
Rss Feed