Green Bay Packers Forum

Welcome to your Green Bay Packers Online Community!

Since 2006, PackersHome has been providing a unique experience for fans.
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
3 Pages<123>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline beast  
#11 Posted : Thursday, August 23, 2012 3:20:58 PM(UTC)

Applause Given: 479
Applause Received: 569
dhpackr said: Go to Quoted Post
if Ted Thompson wanted MJD he could have simply drafted him.

He took Hawk and Jennings before MJD ...

Can we trade Hawk for MJD? ...

then maybe trade MJD for a DL pass rusher in a year?
Offline Since69  
#12 Posted : Thursday, August 23, 2012 3:52:11 PM(UTC)

Applause Given: 83
Applause Received: 83
Oh, look. A speculative thread about the Packers possibly acquiring MJD... Ten replies in 20 minutes... not bad. Just, uh, you know, go ahead and keep ignoring the eerily similar thread I started a full day ago... that's cool.

As for me, I'd love MJD here. Especially in December. I'd give a player and a pick. Maybe even a high pick. And I'm sure Jax could use some help at receiver...
Offline Zero2Cool  
#13 Posted : Thursday, August 23, 2012 3:56:27 PM(UTC)

Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Gold: 2015Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States
Applause Given: 2,325
Applause Received: 3,595
Since69 said: Go to Quoted Post
Oh, look. A speculative thread about the Packers possibly acquiring MJD... Ten replies in 20 minutes... not bad. Just, uh, you know, go ahead and keep ignoring the eerily similar thread I started a full day ago... that's cool.

As for me, I'd love MJD here. Especially in December. I'd give a player and a pick. Maybe even a high pick. And I'm sure Jax could use some help at receiver...

lmaoLOL
Offline Since69  
#14 Posted : Thursday, August 23, 2012 4:11:14 PM(UTC)

Applause Given: 83
Applause Received: 83
Zero2Cool said: Go to Quoted Post
lmaoLOL

It was more sarcastic than snarky, but thanks for the merge...
Offline macbob  
#15 Posted : Sunday, August 26, 2012 2:29:26 PM(UTC)

Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Gold: 2013Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Gold: 2016PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2014FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Silver: 2012FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2014

Applause Given: 364
Applause Received: 309
What Zombie said. CB (as long as he holds onto the ball) should provide us sufficient running threat to make our play action passes effective.

zombieslayer said: Go to Quoted Post
Nothing. Don't want him.

He'll take plays away from Aaron Rodgers and take $$$ away from our D, which already is bad.

Offline nyrpack  
#16 Posted : Sunday, August 26, 2012 3:19:04 PM(UTC)

Applause Given: 8
Applause Received: 103
i will take my chances with benson, it doesnt cost anything !!
thanks Post received 1 applause.
zombieslayer on 8/28/2012(UTC)
Offline hardrocker950  
#17 Posted : Monday, August 27, 2012 2:46:07 AM(UTC)

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Bronze: 2014

Applause Given: 123
Applause Received: 149
QCHuskerFan said: Go to Quoted Post
I would give up nothing. He's a RB. He's disposable in today's NFL. Teams don't run the ball to win games. They run the ball to slow the pass rush because you win by throwing the ball. The top 5 rushing teams last year were Broncos, Texans, Panthers, Vikings, and Eagles. The worst rushing team last year was the Super Bowl Champion Giants. This is not the 1970's. Rushing yards is just not that critical.

I told a Bear fan last winter that I couldn't wait till they paid big money to Forte. Big money RB's are a great way to screw up your Cap for years.

I would add Larry Fitzgerald to your list of players I might give up more than a First for.

I would rather pass on this idea too. If CB can stay healthy and produce some threat in the running game, he is doing exactly what he is on the team for. No reason to spend insane amounts of cash for a player we don't need. Also consider that this OL is built around the passing game and short runs, I don't know how effectively they could utilize a RB of that type - not bashing them for it, just doesn't seem to fit this offense IMO.

Those funds can be spent in places that we need upgrades - such as quality pass rushers. Aside from Clay, the rest are not consistent enough. Also consider that we have guys like GJ that are nearing the end of their contract - I would rather keep players like him around.
Offline RainX  
#18 Posted : Monday, August 27, 2012 11:02:22 AM(UTC)

United States
Applause Received: 53
MJD is easily worth a first rounder, but for what the Packers do on offense, backs like Benson, Green, and Saine will be more than adequate for the running game. All we need is someone who can keep opposing defenses honest, and Benson has shown he can be a workhorse back in that regard.

Packers have some big contracts coming up with Jennings, Rodgers, Raji, and Matthews nearing the end of their respective deals. We may need that first round pick to fill some holes because potentially, we may not be able to keep everybody. That doesn't even include guys like Saturday and Woodson who may not have a whole lot left in the tank in the next season or two. Receiver is really the only position imo right now, say a veteran like Driver retired, that the group wouldn't skip a beat as far as production. Can't say the same about the offensive line or secondary right now.

MJD would be a great pick up under the right circumstances, but Packers have bigger needs right now with their upcoming draft picks to give up a first rounder for a disgruntled RB who feels he's not getting paid enough.
Offline Pack93z  
#19 Posted : Monday, August 27, 2012 11:11:10 AM(UTC)

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Bronze: 2012

United States
Applause Given: 435
Applause Received: 1,202
It would not be about the cost of picks to acquire MJD or another top flight back at this point.. it would be all about cap management in the short and long term.

First.. we would not have the cap space short term to pay the man without backloading the contract.

Second.. it would only further cloud the juggling act that will be keeping talent beyond this season. If you are going to cough up a high pick or a package of picks.. you better keep him long term.

And he doesn't want to play out his contract short term.

I wish the Packers would draft a back almost every year.. roll the dice and use them up in the first couple of seasons, then allow them to walk when the contract years hit and they have taken a load of hits already. If you hit on a back and he is a blue chipper.. then maybe pay the man. Otherwise, much like Wolf and backup QB's.. keep cycling the talent through.
thanks Post received 2 applause.
porky88 on 8/27/2012(UTC), macbob on 8/27/2012(UTC)
Offline porky88  
#20 Posted : Monday, August 27, 2012 1:43:35 PM(UTC)

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2012Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2013Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2014PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Silver: 2015

Applause Given: 250
Applause Received: 506
Pack93z said: Go to Quoted Post
It would not be about the cost of picks to acquire MJD or another top flight back at this point.. it would be all about cap management in the short and long term.

First.. we would not have the cap space short term to pay the man without backloading the contract.

Second.. it would only further cloud the juggling act that will be keeping talent beyond this season. If you are going to cough up a high pick or a package of picks.. you better keep him long term.

And he doesn't want to play out his contract short term.

I wish the Packers would draft a back almost every year.. roll the dice and use them up in the first couple of seasons, then allow them to walk when the contract years hit and they have taken a load of hits already. If you hit on a back and he is a blue chipper.. then maybe pay the man. Otherwise, much like Wolf and backup QB's.. keep cycling the talent through.

This is a great point. I overlooked the contract demand of MJD. He's worth a first rounder, but only if you can fit his contract into the grand scheme of things. For example, I much rather have Greg Jennings long-term than MJD.
Rss Feed