Welcome to your Green Bay Packers Online Community!

Since 2006, PackersHome has been providing a unique experience for fans.
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
2 Pages<12
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline nyrpack  
#16 Posted : Sunday, August 26, 2012 3:19:04 PM(UTC)
nyrpack

Applause Given: 3
Applause Received: 42

i will take my chances with benson, it doesnt cost anything !!
jimmy b.
thanks Post received 1 applause.
zombieslayer on 8/28/2012(UTC)
Offline hardrocker950  
#17 Posted : Monday, August 27, 2012 2:46:07 AM(UTC)
hardrocker950

Applause Given: 63
Applause Received: 58

Originally Posted by: QCHuskerFan Go to Quoted Post
I would give up nothing. He's a RB. He's disposable in today's NFL. Teams don't run the ball to win games. They run the ball to slow the pass rush because you win by throwing the ball. The top 5 rushing teams last year were Broncos, Texans, Panthers, Vikings, and Eagles. The worst rushing team last year was the Super Bowl Champion Giants. This is not the 1970's. Rushing yards is just not that critical.

I told a Bear fan last winter that I couldn't wait till they paid big money to Forte. Big money RB's are a great way to screw up your Cap for years.

I would add Larry Fitzgerald to your list of players I might give up more than a First for.

I would rather pass on this idea too. If CB can stay healthy and produce some threat in the running game, he is doing exactly what he is on the team for. No reason to spend insane amounts of cash for a player we don't need. Also consider that this OL is built around the passing game and short runs, I don't know how effectively they could utilize a RB of that type - not bashing them for it, just doesn't seem to fit this offense IMO.

Those funds can be spent in places that we need upgrades - such as quality pass rushers. Aside from Clay, the rest are not consistent enough. Also consider that we have guys like GJ that are nearing the end of their contract - I would rather keep players like him around.
"I enjoy being just one of 53 on the team." - Aaron Rodgers
Offline RainX  
#18 Posted : Monday, August 27, 2012 11:02:22 AM(UTC)
RainX

Applause Received: 5

MJD is easily worth a first rounder, but for what the Packers do on offense, backs like Benson, Green, and Saine will be more than adequate for the running game. All we need is someone who can keep opposing defenses honest, and Benson has shown he can be a workhorse back in that regard.

Packers have some big contracts coming up with Jennings, Rodgers, Raji, and Matthews nearing the end of their respective deals. We may need that first round pick to fill some holes because potentially, we may not be able to keep everybody. That doesn't even include guys like Saturday and Woodson who may not have a whole lot left in the tank in the next season or two. Receiver is really the only position imo right now, say a veteran like Driver retired, that the group wouldn't skip a beat as far as production. Can't say the same about the offensive line or secondary right now.

MJD would be a great pick up under the right circumstances, but Packers have bigger needs right now with their upcoming draft picks to give up a first rounder for a disgruntled RB who feels he's not getting paid enough.
blank
Offline Pack93z  
#19 Posted : Monday, August 27, 2012 11:11:10 AM(UTC)
Pack93z

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Bronze: 2012

United States

Applause Given: 383
Applause Received: 1,027

It would not be about the cost of picks to acquire MJD or another top flight back at this point.. it would be all about cap management in the short and long term.

First.. we would not have the cap space short term to pay the man without backloading the contract.

Second.. it would only further cloud the juggling act that will be keeping talent beyond this season. If you are going to cough up a high pick or a package of picks.. you better keep him long term.

And he doesn't want to play out his contract short term.

I wish the Packers would draft a back almost every year.. roll the dice and use them up in the first couple of seasons, then allow them to walk when the contract years hit and they have taken a load of hits already. If you hit on a back and he is a blue chipper.. then maybe pay the man. Otherwise, much like Wolf and backup QB's.. keep cycling the talent through.
I think when there's enough will and aggression, there's no shortage of talent either.

UserPostedImage
thanks Post received 2 applause.
porky88 on 8/27/2012(UTC), macbob on 8/27/2012(UTC)
Offline porky88  
#20 Posted : Monday, August 27, 2012 1:43:35 PM(UTC)
porky88

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2012Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2013Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2014

Applause Given: 184
Applause Received: 349

Originally Posted by: Pack93z Go to Quoted Post
It would not be about the cost of picks to acquire MJD or another top flight back at this point.. it would be all about cap management in the short and long term.

First.. we would not have the cap space short term to pay the man without backloading the contract.

Second.. it would only further cloud the juggling act that will be keeping talent beyond this season. If you are going to cough up a high pick or a package of picks.. you better keep him long term.

And he doesn't want to play out his contract short term.

I wish the Packers would draft a back almost every year.. roll the dice and use them up in the first couple of seasons, then allow them to walk when the contract years hit and they have taken a load of hits already. If you hit on a back and he is a blue chipper.. then maybe pay the man. Otherwise, much like Wolf and backup QB's.. keep cycling the talent through.

This is a great point. I overlooked the contract demand of MJD. He's worth a first rounder, but only if you can fit his contract into the grand scheme of things. For example, I much rather have Greg Jennings long-term than MJD.
Offline PackerTraxx  
#21 Posted : Monday, August 27, 2012 3:08:18 PM(UTC)
PackerTraxx

Applause Given: 18
Applause Received: 127

It would be great if we could do a double trade and get premier defensive help...but then, as many have mentioned we have a long term cap problem. Sounds like a luxury we can't afford.
Why is Jerry Kramer not in the Hall of Fame?
Rss Feed