Join Our Green Bay Packers Interactive Community!

We have been providing fans with the best source of Packers information since 2006!
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
2 Pages<12
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Zero2Cool  
#16 Posted : Monday, August 20, 2012 10:46:28 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 1,900
Applause Received: 2,096

Originally Posted by: Pack93z Go to Quoted Post
My point there is simply this.. if they are not offering much in terms of guaranteed money.. if might not be a contract that secures his family long term.

3 year 15 million without much in guarantees offers little protection in this dog eat dog sport. He goes out and tears a knee up.. he might never see that money.

We don't know his financial situation.. his he supporting more than just his immediate family? Is he supporting a Mother, a Father? Brothers or sisters? Is there medical conditions anywhere in his family?

Not saying it is or isn't.. but without a chunk of guaranteed money, all you have is the potential to earn 15 over 3 in the cited example.

While most of us can't touch that type of cash, namely me lol, part of your job as a provider is to secure the family as best as you can.

So if the Ravens are backloading the deal.. or not offering much in terms of guarantees.. I could see the rational in the statement for a guy in his position and talent. NFL players have options we in the "real" world just don't have.

All I am saying is I can see why it is labeled as greed... but we just don't know enough details to understand his position.

I never once judged him, nor would I ever as I am ignorant to the entire facts (perhaps he has tons of medical bills from a family member coping with cancer?). I take offense to any implication of the such. I specifically said this kind of stuff, not this person. You hurt my feelings. Speak to the hand

As for the guaranteed money, figure it like this. Average salary is what, $40,000 per year? Do that for 45 years and you get ~$2 million. He's earning $1.9 million this year, not including previously earned wages.

Again, I repeat ... I am all for people getting their max value ... it just rubs me the wrong way when someone making seven figures or more uses family as reasoning for needing more money. That is my beef. That is my issue.

UserPostedImage
Offline Zero2Cool  
#17 Posted : Monday, August 20, 2012 10:48:36 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Originally Posted by: Since69 Go to Quoted Post
I had to google his name; guess how I feel about his "need" to earn more than $5M a year...

If he feels he's worth more than $5 million a year, I'm all for it. I'm just saying, don't use family as a reason for "needing" more money.

UserPostedImage
Offline Pack93z  
#18 Posted : Monday, August 20, 2012 11:01:13 AM(UTC)
Pack93z

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Bronze: 2012

United States

Applause Given: 388
Applause Received: 1,048

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool Go to Quoted Post
I never once judged him, nor would I ever as I am ignorant to the entire facts (perhaps he has tons of medical bills from a family member coping with cancer?). I take offense to any implication of the such. I specifically said this kind of stuff, not this person. You hurt my feelings. Speak to the hand

Who the hell said you did... I clearly stated I would not judge him.. I never stated nor implied you did.

Please don't put words or implication in my posts.. I was posting my opinion on the topic at hand.. not picking yours apart.

Did I make that point clear now?

My point is.. "this stuff" shouldn't be, in my opinion, taken as a global statement from all.. each different case has different circumstances.. and we just don't know those circumstances all the time.

That is all..

I think when there's enough will and aggression, there's no shortage of talent either.

UserPostedImage
Offline Pack93z  
#19 Posted : Monday, August 20, 2012 11:05:08 AM(UTC)
Pack93z

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Bronze: 2012

United States

Applause Given: 388
Applause Received: 1,048

Furthermore, if my what 5 plus years of posts haven't made it clear.. there isn't a player in the game that deserves to make the kind of coin they do.. none.

So at the end of the day.. I fail to understand any of them bitching about money at all.

But it is the current landscape of the sport.. or sports in general.. and we the people support that system season after season.

So in the end.. is there really a good way for saying 3 year and 15 million is not enough for me to play a game?
I think when there's enough will and aggression, there's no shortage of talent either.

UserPostedImage
Offline Zero2Cool  
#20 Posted : Monday, August 20, 2012 11:09:52 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

United States

Who the hell said you did... I clearly stated I would not judge him.. I never stated nor implied you did.

Please don't put words or implication in my posts.. I was posting my opinion on the topic at hand.. not picking yours apart.

Did I make that point clear now?

My point is.. "this stuff" shouldn't be, in my opinion, taken as a global statement from all.. each different case has different circumstances.. and we just don't know those circumstances all the time.

That is all..

My apologies then, I read your post incorrectly. I agree, "this stuff" shouldn't be a global statement from all.

UserPostedImage
Offline Zero2Cool  
#21 Posted : Monday, August 20, 2012 11:12:20 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

United States

So in the end.. is there really a good way for saying 3 year and 15 million is not enough for me to play a game?

In my opinion, omitting "need" is a start. If the Player feels he's worth more than X amount, so be it. Not everyone has the gifts or opportunities to play in the NFL and as it's rare, it should be paid accordingly. I just get bothered when someone making seven figures or more says they need more money to support their family. That's all. Again, I don't know if he is supporting someone with massive medical bills, so I'm not deliberately singling him out here, only the mentality of "I need more than seven figures to raise a family".
UserPostedImage
Offline PackerTraxx  
#22 Posted : Monday, August 27, 2012 3:20:44 PM(UTC)
PackerTraxx

Applause Given: 18
Applause Received: 127

I find it degrading to themselves when people use the "family security" angle when talking 10s of millions of dollars. To me that's the equivilant to saying "I'm too stupid to manage my money".
Why is Jerry Kramer not in the Hall of Fame?
thanks Post received 1 applause.
Zero2Cool on 8/27/2012(UTC)
Offline Wade  
#23 Posted : Tuesday, August 28, 2012 9:14:23 AM(UTC)
Wade

Applause Given: 670
Applause Received: 676

Actually, I don't even know who the guy is.

But....as always... I seem to be on the "other side."

IMO he should go for as much as he can get and not have to justify doing so. Sure, he's been offered something I'm never going to get within smelling distance of financially. Well more than a family "needs" to prosper. But to me that's irrelevant.

The fact of the matter is that the person paying him is expecting to get a lot more value than is being paid for his services. So if he wants to fight for a bigger share of the pie that he is splitting with other rich guys, he should go for it.

These kind of things are never "should a rich person be satisfied so non-rich people get more" -- they're merely "which rich person should get how much."

Frankly, if I believed that someone is going to be willing to pay me two gazillion dollars for my services, I'm not going to settle for a mere 1.5 gazillion.

Now of course if the employer turns out not to be willing to pay the 2 gazillion, I'd be hosed. But such is life.

Go for it, dude. Go for it.
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)