Welcome to your Green Bay Packers Online Community!

Since 2006, PackersHome has been providing a unique experience for fans.
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Pack93z  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, September 5, 2012 1:46:23 PM(UTC)
Pack93z

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Bronze: 2012

United States

Applause Given: 380
Applause Received: 1,022

Can't say the owners are hurting in these dire economic times.

Ol' Ziggy is smiling someplace.. public kicks in a ton of money, yet his bottom line increases 22%.

Quote:

Dallas, New England are most valuable NFL franchises

Mammas, feel free to let your babies grow up to be owners of mediocre NFC East franchises. The Dallas Cowboys and Washington Redskins again are near the front of Forbes' NFL team valuations despite a long run of ineptitude that has seen the division rivals combine for three playoff wins in the past 16 years.

Jerry Jones' Cowboys are valued at $2.1 billion, well ahead of the New England Patriots ($1.64 billion). Owner Daniel Snyder's Washington Redskins are the third-most valuable team at $1.6 billion.

The Cowboys and Redskins demonstrate that on-field success isn't necessarily an indicator of off-field financial power. Of the nine franchises with the highest values, only two (New England and the fourth-ranked New York Giants) have won Super Bowls in the past 15 years. More successful teams like the Green Bay Packers, Baltimore Ravens and Pittsburgh Steelers occupy the middle part of the Forbes list.

Full list here.

1. Dallas Cowboys, $2.1 billion, up 14% over last year

Factoring in the royalties from Jerry Jones' pizza rap song, the total ticks up to $2,000,000,006.17.

3. Washington Redskins, $1.64 billion, up 3%

The few remaining Snyder apologists always hide behind the "but he's a good businessman" argument. Six Flags, the gameday experience at FedEx Field and stagnant 2012 growth would be to disagree. No other team in the top half of the rankings had such a low percentage in value change. Not to worry; Snyder is used to knowing what it's like to not grow.

10. Green Bay Packers, $1.162 billion, up 7%

The Packers, the only publicly-owned NFL franchise, recently offered a sale of "stock" (really a sliver of a fraction of a percentage share of the team) to the public. It was a rousing success, showing that public offerings aren't dead yet, Facebook.

22. Minnesota Vikings, $975 million, up 22%

The Vikes had the highest percentage jump in the league. Minnesota residents should be proud that their $498 million contribution to the new stadium is paying such dividends.

Edited by user Wednesday, September 5, 2012 1:58:44 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

I think when there's enough will and aggression, there's no shortage of talent either.

UserPostedImage
Sponsor
Offline Pack93z  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, September 5, 2012 1:58:33 PM(UTC)
Pack93z

United States

I think this is a more important ranking in terms of teams that need to change the way they are ran.

UserPostedImage
I think when there's enough will and aggression, there's no shortage of talent either.

UserPostedImage
Offline Wade  
#3 Posted : Thursday, September 6, 2012 7:17:35 AM(UTC)
Wade

Applause Given: 630
Applause Received: 648

I wonder how real estate added into these calculations. And I wonder what the values would have been had such real estate not been gov't subsidized.

Ahem.
None of the above. It wouldn't have been a wasted vote. Obama and Romney -- Those were the wasted votes.
Offline Pack93z  
#4 Posted : Thursday, September 6, 2012 7:32:35 AM(UTC)
Pack93z

United States

Originally Posted by: Wade Go to Quoted Post
I wonder how real estate added into these calculations. And I wonder what the values would have been had such real estate not been gov't subsidized.

Ahem.

Minne...

UserPostedImage

Agreed... and it is simply larger than that. We the people of this land are watching this country consume itself more and more via the hand of the politicians and oil.. yet we continue to willingly subsidize and allow these professional sports leagues reap record profits off our backs.

From Antitrust exemptions to funding for their building and infrastructures.. we continue to give to them, then again at the ticker window and buying their retail products. Talk about screwed up.

Even the "publicly owned" Packers with non revenue earning stock, what do we really as a public gain from owning the franchise? Past controlling that they stay.. not too damn much.

I wanna stick my head in the sand, because damn sometimes we humans just don't make much sense.

Edited by user Thursday, September 6, 2012 7:49:30 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

UserPostedImage
Offline Formo  
#5 Posted : Thursday, September 6, 2012 10:59:28 AM(UTC)
Formo

Applause Given: 215
Applause Received: 152

You guys must be pissed about the new stadium, eh? With the revenue the Vikings will be able to capture with it you won't be able to claim how they 'share' in your team's revenue. Hey, no frets, though. You can always go back to the tried, tiring, and loutish empty Super Bowl trophy case angle.
UserPostedImage
Thanks to TheViking88 for the sig!!
Offline Zero2Cool  
#6 Posted : Thursday, September 6, 2012 11:33:32 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 1,842
Applause Received: 1,996

Originally Posted by: Formo Go to Quoted Post
You guys must be pissed about the new stadium, eh? With the revenue the Vikings will be able to capture with it you won't be able to claim how they 'share' in your team's revenue. Hey, no frets, though. You can always go back to the tried, tiring, and loutish empty Super Bowl trophy case angle.

Actually, we worry about things like Super Bowl victories, not revenue. Boo hoo!

UserPostedImage
Click here and find the LATEST Packers News!
Offline Formo  
#7 Posted : Thursday, September 6, 2012 11:56:43 AM(UTC)
Formo

Applause Given: 215
Applause Received: 152

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool Go to Quoted Post
Actually, we worry about things like Super Bowl victories, not revenue. Boo hoo!

You might.

But I've fielded my fair share of arguments here on how my team takes money from your team to stay afloat.
UserPostedImage
Thanks to TheViking88 for the sig!!
Offline Zero2Cool  
#8 Posted : Thursday, September 6, 2012 12:04:45 PM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 1,842
Applause Received: 1,996

You might.

But I've fielded my fair share of arguments here on how my team takes money from your team to stay afloat.

That's what superior teams do, they help out the little guy. You're welcome, but that's about the most you'll get from me on that subject because I know little to nothing about the revenue sharing.

What I do know is the Packers won Super Bowl XLV and that, for me, supersedes the other stuff.

UserPostedImage
Click here and find the LATEST Packers News!
Offline Wade  
#9 Posted : Thursday, September 6, 2012 2:04:59 PM(UTC)
Wade

Applause Given: 630
Applause Received: 648

You might.

I could actually care less about how the teams split up their money.

My objection (as you know) is in what I see as "taxpayer-financed"-subsidies to organizations that claim to be worth hundreds of millions or billions of dollars, yet have a return to investment too low to get market-based financing. Put the "Value" numbers together with the income numbers Shawn posted, and only the Cowboys and the Patriots represent a decent return on investment.

And if you adjust for stadium subsidies via sales taxes/diversions of lottery revenues from other uses, etc., you get even more disgusting results.

If I was Jerry Jones or Bob Kraft I wouldn't want to subsidize those other losers. But I'm not either one -- so they can spend their money on those losers or on solid gold shower faucets for all I care.

None of the above. It wouldn't have been a wasted vote. Obama and Romney -- Those were the wasted votes.
Rss Feed