Welcome to your Green Bay Packers Online Community!

Since 2006, PackersHome has been providing a unique experience for fans.
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
3 Pages<123>
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline wpr  
#16 Posted : Saturday, September 15, 2012 6:45:20 AM(UTC)
wpr

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 2,749
Applause Received: 1,317

according to the gamebook report (page 16) Cobb and Driver were only in there for 29 & 18% of the plays.

Quote:
R Cobb WR 20 29%
D Driver WR 12 18%

Both play the slot most of the time. It is not that DD can't line up wide but I am sure Mike McCarthy prefers him to be the man who goes over the middle. He can do it better than most of the other WR.

Another factor for DD not being on the field as much on Thur is they didn't use the 3 WR as often. With Benson having a good game they had Kuhn or a TE out the to block for him.

Quote:
Kuhn FB 31 46%
T Crabtree TE 27 40%
"You don't hurt 'em if you don't hit 'em." Chesty Puller

UserPostedImage

Offline dyeah_gb  
#17 Posted : Saturday, September 15, 2012 6:53:50 AM(UTC)
dyeah_gb

Applause Given: 23
Applause Received: 24

So the general consensus is to swap Driver into Jones spot in the roster? What is the upside of letting Jones have more snaps then?
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool - R. Feynman
Offline PackerTraxx  
#18 Posted : Saturday, September 15, 2012 8:57:56 AM(UTC)
PackerTraxx

Applause Given: 18
Applause Received: 127

I'm just surprised we haven't seen more of DD because there were a number of articles or pieces of articles about the good camp he was having. I definitely have more trust in DD than Jones. It's a long season, might they be saving him more for the end, giving the young receivers a chance to develop more or something else more than what we see on the surface?
Why is Jerry Kramer not in the Hall of Fame?
Offline zombieslayer  
#19 Posted : Saturday, September 15, 2012 9:24:19 AM(UTC)
zombieslayer

Applause Given: 778
Applause Received: 495

Originally Posted by: dyeah_gb Go to Quoted Post
So the general consensus is to swap Driver into Jones spot in the roster? What is the upside of letting Jones have more snaps then?

I can't speak for everyone else, but I'll be fine with that.

Driver may have had more total drops last year than Jones, but Jones drops the important ones. Like last game, he dropped what should have been a TD pass. Driver caught a TD pass. Driver is also better with running after a catch and is fearless up the middle.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage

(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)

2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. Ted Thompson Mike McCarthy Aaron Rodgers
Offline Zero2Cool  
#20 Posted : Saturday, September 15, 2012 11:14:14 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 1,842
Applause Received: 1,996

Originally Posted by: zombieslayer Go to Quoted Post

Driver may have had more total drops last year than Jones, but Jones drops the important ones. Like last game, he dropped what should have been a TD pass. Driver caught a TD pass. Driver is also better with running after a catch and is fearless up the middle.

Can you go through and show drop by drop the down and distance for the two? I'd be really interested in seeing those stats.

UserPostedImage
Click here and find the LATEST Packers News!
Offline Cheesey  
#21 Posted : Saturday, September 15, 2012 8:58:38 PM(UTC)
Cheesey

Applause Given: 159
Applause Received: 326

Maybe part of it is keeping DD healthy and ready if/when he is needed the most. It's a long season, and at his age i don't want to see him burned out early in the year.
UserPostedImage
Offline blueleopard  
#22 Posted : Saturday, September 15, 2012 10:37:27 PM(UTC)
blueleopard

Applause Received: 60

Rodgers and McCarthy abandoned the dink and dunk passing game that seemed to be Favre and Rodgers' bread and butter in their early years with the system.

Under that philosophy, Driver especially shined. Now that we've gone to a more vertical passing game and McCarthy has gotten all exotic, the bigger receivers have to see the field.
Danreb Victorio A Believer of Greg Jennings
Offline DakotaT  
#23 Posted : Sunday, September 16, 2012 4:33:32 AM(UTC)
DakotaT

Applause Given: 622
Applause Received: 1,299

Holy f^@# is this a ridiculous statement. If Jones catches his ball, it is highlight reel material. The only reason Driver got one to the bread basket is that Rodgers looked off the safety long enough for DD to get his old ass into the seam.

Obviously Jones and Finley will always be whipping boys, and DD shits golden turds with some of you.

The reason DD gets much fewer snaps is because he has fallen down the depth chart, and that's really what it is all about.

UserPostedImage
thanks Post received 2 applause.
nerdmann on 9/16/2012(UTC), Rockmolder on 9/17/2012(UTC)
Offline Zero2Cool  
#24 Posted : Tuesday, September 18, 2012 2:56:23 PM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Can you go through and show drop by drop the down and distance for the two? I'd be really interested in seeing those stats.

UserPostedImage
Offline wpr  
#25 Posted : Tuesday, September 18, 2012 9:10:45 PM(UTC)
wpr

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 2,749
Applause Received: 1,317

Originally Posted by: DakotaT Go to Quoted Post
Holy f^@# is this a ridiculous statement. If Jones catches his ball, it is highlight reel material. The only reason Driver got one to the bread basket is that Rodgers looked off the safety long enough for DD to get his old ass into the seam.

Obviously Jones and Finley will always be whipping boys, and DD shits golden turds with some of you.

The reason DD gets much fewer snaps is because he has fallen down the depth chart, and that's really what it is all about.

bitter doesn't become you. Shame on you

You know you love Donald.
"You don't hurt 'em if you don't hit 'em." Chesty Puller

UserPostedImage

Offline Zero2Cool  
#26 Posted : Thursday, October 18, 2012 6:09:28 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

United States

I'll use a picture to illustrate one answer.
Zero2Cool attached the following image(s):
20121014-001.jpg (30kb) downloaded 3 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.

UserPostedImage
thanks Post received 1 applause.
gbguy20 on 10/18/2012(UTC)
Offline flep  
#27 Posted : Thursday, October 18, 2012 6:14:14 AM(UTC)
flep

United Kingdom

Applause Given: 54
Applause Received: 60

JJ has been a beast as of late.

As had been said, it's a long season and we may lose players to injury and DD is great to come in and there would be no drop off in performance.

This will probably be DD's last season anyway.
Formed Merseyside Nighthawks. British Champions 1992. Packer fan for 30 years

UserPostedImage

I feel very wrong now!!!!!!!!!
Offline Porforis  
#28 Posted : Thursday, October 18, 2012 6:37:23 AM(UTC)
Porforis

United States

Applause Given: 168
Applause Received: 333

Originally Posted by: flep Go to Quoted Post
JJ has been a beast as of late.

As had been said, it's a long season and we may lose players to injury and DD is great to come in and there would be no drop off in performance.

This will probably be DD's last season anyway.

Obviously I remember drops more than pedestrian catches, but it seems like DD's been dropping a lot of balls this year. Might be a result of much less playing time, but overall I really hope Driver does not try to extend his career another year... Leave on a high note, Donald. Or make me look like an idiot and be Mister Clutch for the next 3 years, either way :)
UserPostedImage
Offline zombieslayer  
#29 Posted : Thursday, October 18, 2012 6:54:51 AM(UTC)
zombieslayer

Applause Given: 778
Applause Received: 495

Originally Posted by: Porforis Go to Quoted Post
Obviously I remember drops more than pedestrian catches, but it seems like DD's been dropping a lot of balls this year. Might be a result of much less playing time, but overall I really hope Driver does not try to extend his career another year... Leave on a high note, Donald. Or make me look like an idiot and be Mister Clutch for the next 3 years, either way :)

Nah. Ted Thompson and Driver will have a nice talk. Driver will retire after this season and have some other place with the Packers. He's too well-liked to disappear into the sunset.

He's already dropped off. But with potential injuries, as others have said, it would be nice to have Driver in the Playoffs for 2012.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage

(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)

2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. Ted Thompson Mike McCarthy Aaron Rodgers
Offline Wade  
#30 Posted : Thursday, October 18, 2012 7:07:01 AM(UTC)
Wade

Applause Given: 630
Applause Received: 648

Based on the season to date, I think this question can be split into two separate questions:

1. Why isn't DD on the field more. I think this is at least partly a question of play calling. If they go to three wides, its going to be Nelson/Jones/Cobb or, when Jennings comes back, Jennings/Nelson/Jones or Jennings/Nelson/Cobb. (IMO Cobb has become such a weapon, especially on slant-type plays which used to be part of DD's bread-and-butter, that he's going to come on the field before DD now.) And Jones is playing like some of us thought he was going to be playing a couple years ago. So that leaves 4 and 5 wides, neither of which is being called as much this year, despite MM's susceptibility to calling too many passes.

What I don't understand is that when they do go to >3 wides, they use Finley as the #4 so often and Driver so little. Which naturally leads into the second question ....

2. Why isn't DD being targeted more. My gut here tells me it is partly that McCarthy and, more so, Rodgers, are more homed in on Finley. Rodgers has always had a bit of a tendency to look to Finley too often, and McCarthy for whatever reason has been calling fewer plays that fit DD's skill set (quick slants, really crisp patterns) and more that fit Finley's.

And it might also be that Driver simply hasn't been able to get separation. Has anyone looked at the film on this? It's just a guess on my part, and would go a long way to answering why it is that Rodgers/McCarthy have the tendencies just stated.
None of the above. It wouldn't have been a wasted vote. Obama and Romney -- Those were the wasted votes.
Rss Feed