Welcome to your Green Bay Packers Online Community!

Since 2006, PackersHome has been providing a unique experience for fans.
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
8 Pages«<23456>»
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline nerdmann  
#46 Posted : Tuesday, September 25, 2012 12:57:19 AM(UTC)
nerdmann

Applause Given: 2,493
Applause Received: 624

Originally Posted by: GOPACKGO1225 Go to Quoted Post
He has the power to do it, but he's way too afraid. IF only he had a set of balls and actually cared more about the game and less about his wallet.

To do it, he would have to admit that the replacement refs are imperfect. CAN'T do that.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline Rockmolder  
#47 Posted : Tuesday, September 25, 2012 3:08:19 AM(UTC)
Rockmolder

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2010

Netherlands

Applause Given: 147
Applause Received: 248

Originally Posted by: nerdmann Go to Quoted Post
Here's another thing.

That's why you knock the ball down in that situation. You don't go for the INT.

That's why? You have to knock it down because you have to factor in that the refs suck? That's the most ridiculous statement I've ever seen.

Regardless of whether that's the right thing to do in that situation, they way you phrase it is absolute bullsh*t.
UserPostedImage
thanks Post received 1 applause.
zombieslayer on 9/25/2012(UTC)
Offline macbob  
#48 Posted : Tuesday, September 25, 2012 3:08:37 AM(UTC)
macbob

Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Silver: 2012

Applause Given: 288
Applause Received: 237

I sent the following letter to Mr Goodell. Don't know if he'll get it.

The letter pretty much says it all--the NFL has no integrity if they allow the results of the MNF game to stand. As I feel right now, I have no interest in watching football this weekend. I'm not sure when/if my interest will rekindle--it may be days, it may be weeks.

It may be never. I used to be an avid baseball fan, attending several games a year, watching games on TV multiple times a week, taking part in fantasy baseball leagues. I quit watching baseball after the 1994 strike that wiped out the world series that year. I never started watching since.

Quote:
Mr Goodell-

I have been an NFL fan since I was a boy.

I have never been so outraged, embarrassed, ashamed, and saddened for the NFL as I am now. The NFL has tried to pretend the replacement referees have not significantly impacted the outcomes of games. The NFL can no longer do so. The terrible calls by the replacement referees that the NFL provided for the Monday Night Football game determined the outcome of that game.

The defensive pass interference call on Sam Shields toward the end of that game was a joke. The Seahawk receiver mugged the Packer's defender and should have been called for offensive pass interference, penalizing the Seahawks further on what was already a 1st and 30 play. Even a non-call would have been better than the call made by the replacement referees. That would have at least left it at second & thirty. Instead, the Seahawks were given a first and ten in Packer's territory.

Then to follow that up with the call on the last play of the game. In order for the receiver to have simultaneous possession of the ball he must first have possession of the ball. Touching the ball isn't possessing it. Golden Tate never had possession of the ball.

If the referee lockout was intended to provide leverage over the referee union then it has been an abject failure. The replacement referees have seriously damaged the NFL's reputation and strengthened the hand of the referees' union.

I have been a Packers fan since I was a little boy growing up in the Lombardi era, even though I lived 1/2 the country away. I had no local team to cheer for--the closest team was over 3 hours away, and the Packers were the team that I got to see most often during the season and in the playoffs. I endured 20 years of mediocrity (at best) until the 90s, and have greatly enjoyed the last 20 years when the Packers were worth watching again. I am a part-owner of the franchise, and so is my son.

The NFL that you are a commissioner of has no integrity after Monday night's game.

For the first time since becoming a fan of the NFL so many years ago I am no longer looking forward to watching the NFL next weekend. I honestly don't care who the Packers are playing, and it is a strange feeling. I will be taking down my Packer's memorabilia at work, which my co-workers have dubbed 'The Shrine' and will be finding something else to do with my family this weekend, and that too will be strange, at first.
UserPostedImage
thanks Post received 4 applause.
flep on 9/25/2012(UTC), wpr on 9/25/2012(UTC), zombieslayer on 9/25/2012(UTC), Blitz on 9/25/2012(UTC)
Offline stevegb  
#49 Posted : Tuesday, September 25, 2012 3:09:27 AM(UTC)
stevegb

Applause Given: 9
Applause Received: 8

On a side note, I believe it was an interception but what was Jennings thinking not batting it down?
blank
Offline flep  
#50 Posted : Tuesday, September 25, 2012 4:16:40 AM(UTC)
flep

United Kingdom

Applause Given: 54
Applause Received: 60

I can just see your reply (If they can be bothered of course....

Dear NFL Fan

Thank you for you letter.

We at the NFL strive each day to give you the best in every way.

We will continue to do this and thank you for your interest.

Yours in sport

R Goodell

p/p (some unknown from the back office) (maybe the tea-boy)
Formed Merseyside Nighthawks. British Champions 1992. Packer fan for 30 years

UserPostedImage

I feel very wrong now!!!!!!!!!
wpr on 9/25/2012(UTC)
Offline Zero2Cool  
#51 Posted : Tuesday, September 25, 2012 4:56:09 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 1,892
Applause Received: 2,089

Originally Posted by: stevegb Go to Quoted Post
On a side note, I believe it was an interception but what was Jennings thinking not batting it down?

I forget which teams were playing Sunday when a hail mary was batted right into the offensive players hands. Teams have a trail to the pile now. A trail as in someone waiting for the ball to be batted to them. I don't know if they practice batting the ball out of the endzone though.
UserPostedImage
wpr on 9/25/2012(UTC)
Offline Porforis  
#52 Posted : Tuesday, September 25, 2012 5:33:43 AM(UTC)
Porforis

United States

Applause Given: 168
Applause Received: 333

Originally Posted by: nerdmann Go to Quoted Post
As a scoring play, it would have to be reviewed.

But you couldn't overturn it. Just as ridiculous as not being able to challenge where the runner went out of bounds after a fumble recovery and being given a 15 yard unsporstmanlike conduct penalty in the first game. People are saying that refs are ruining the game, but the new replay system plays a big part too. Either have replay or don't have it.
UserPostedImage
Offline wpr  
#53 Posted : Tuesday, September 25, 2012 5:37:35 AM(UTC)
wpr

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 2,896
Applause Received: 1,407

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool Go to Quoted Post
I forget which teams were playing Sunday when a hail mary was batted right into the offensive players hands. Teams have a trail to the pile now. A trail as in someone waiting for the ball to be batted to them. I don't know if they practice batting the ball out of the endzone though.

agreed b*tch slapping the ball isn't always the best move either...
"You don't hurt 'em if you don't hit 'em." Chesty Puller

UserPostedImage

Offline wpr  
#54 Posted : Tuesday, September 25, 2012 5:42:43 AM(UTC)
wpr

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States

Originally Posted by: gbguy20 Go to Quoted Post
The officials: Elliott (d2), Rhone-Dunn (Big 12), Harrod (D2, arena), Easley (Calif. HS/JC), Simmons (TX HS), Peek (TX HS). Easley blew call

easley is a highschool / juco ref

his call overruled the ref who ruled it a touchback.

I have decided no one can be that inept. Gamblers have gotten to 1-2 of the refs. I think the official who called the TD was the same one who called Shields for PI. One one who reviewed the play could have been a part of it. Either that or he was scared sh*tless of making the correct call.

UserPostedImage

Offline wpr  
#55 Posted : Tuesday, September 25, 2012 5:45:44 AM(UTC)
wpr

United States

Originally Posted by: all_about_da_packers Go to Quoted Post
There is a point bigger than this: the booth review, which was done by a full-time veteran NFL employee, up-held the play call. I really, really want to hear the justification for the call being upheld by Howard Slavin, someone who is NOT a replacement ref but a permanent NFL employee that made the decision on the booth review.

The NFL employee upstairs does not decide the final outcome of the play. Only should there be a review or not. The ref on the field goes under the hood and decides to wet his pants or not.

UserPostedImage

Offline rabidgopher04  
#56 Posted : Tuesday, September 25, 2012 5:54:05 AM(UTC)
rabidgopher04

Applause Given: 113
Applause Received: 127

I think all you owners of the Packers should flex your ownership muscles to the league office. You are owners and you should demand that Goodell correct this egregious error.
Do you like bacon?
Offline MassPackersFan  
#57 Posted : Tuesday, September 25, 2012 6:46:26 AM(UTC)
MassPackersFan

Applause Given: 1
Applause Received: 7

NFL has stated that there is no appeal process and that there is no way to change the outcome of the game.
UserPostedImage
Offline Zero2Cool  
#58 Posted : Tuesday, September 25, 2012 6:50:17 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 1,892
Applause Received: 2,089

Originally Posted by: MassPackersFan Go to Quoted Post
NFL has stated that there is no appeal process and that there is no way to change the outcome of the game.

http://www.nfl.com/rulebook/unfairacts

Quote:
The Commissioner’s powers under this section (UNFAIR ACTS) include the imposition of monetary fines and draft choice forfeitures, suspension of persons involved, and, if appropriate, the reversal of a game’s result or the rescheduling of a game, either from the beginning or from the point at which the extraordinary act occurred.
UserPostedImage
Offline MassPackersFan  
#59 Posted : Tuesday, September 25, 2012 6:57:54 AM(UTC)
MassPackersFan

Applause Given: 1
Applause Received: 7

I think Greg Aiello (NFL spokesperson) may be using the "no appeal process" to confuse people about the commissioner's power to reverse the outcome.
UserPostedImage
Offline stevegb  
#60 Posted : Tuesday, September 25, 2012 6:57:55 AM(UTC)
stevegb

Applause Given: 9
Applause Received: 8

It would be pretty funny to see them all called back to replay the last 10 seconds of the game.
blank