Welcome to your Green Bay Packers Online Community!

Since 2006, PackersHome has been providing a unique experience for fans.
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
2 Pages12>
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline wpr  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, October 3, 2012 7:47:17 PM(UTC)
wpr

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 2,752
Applause Received: 1,319

I hit a deer tonight while driving down a gravel road. He came out of a corn field and was heading for the trees across the road. He was on me so fast I couldn't even put on my brakes. I am glad I was only going about 45 at the time.
"You don't hurt 'em if you don't hit 'em." Chesty Puller

UserPostedImage

Sponsor
Offline Formo  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, October 3, 2012 8:23:50 PM(UTC)
Formo

Applause Given: 215
Applause Received: 152

I hate deer. The past few weeks we've been traveling a lot to the Iron Range of MN (where my family is) and have grown VERY accustomed to looking out for and avoiding deer. I can't even give a decent estimate on how many I've seen the past 2 weeks except it was over 100. Had to stop/slam my brakes about 10+ times in the past 2 weeks to avoid them/wait for them to make their move. They are stupid creatures and when they dart infront of your car, they often tend to turn around and go back, almost hitting the car. Again.

I literally hate deer more than any other animal.
UserPostedImage
Thanks to TheViking88 for the sig!!
Offline vikesrule  
#3 Posted : Thursday, October 4, 2012 2:39:24 AM(UTC)
vikesrule

Applause Given: 60
Applause Received: 193

Hopefully you weren't hurt Wayne.

And you are correct about the deer and their intelligence level, Formo.

One might even say that deer are the Packers fans of the animal kingdom....Big Grin
thanks Post received 1 applause.
Formo on 10/4/2012(UTC)
Offline Pack93z  
#4 Posted : Thursday, October 4, 2012 5:21:29 AM(UTC)
Pack93z

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Bronze: 2012

United States

Applause Given: 381
Applause Received: 1,022

Here is north Central Wisconsin, it is almost a norm to avoid deer, raccoons and turkeys, at points daily. And the deer haven't even it rut yet.

Wayne, you get a hold of your insurance agent okay? Big Grin

Seriously, echo VR's sentiment that you were not hurt.
I think when there's enough will and aggression, there's no shortage of talent either.

UserPostedImage
Offline Zero2Cool  
#5 Posted : Thursday, October 4, 2012 5:38:08 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 1,846
Applause Received: 2,004

A dear hit me while driving back from visiting dad several weeks ago. Before knowing if there was any damage, my sister of course says "did he run away okay?" ... I said something about hoping the fucker has a massive concussion! I was extremely lucky, no damage except a little mark where his antler hit my door. He hit me pretty hard too so yeah very lucky no damage and that I had a break away mirror on the door.

Hope everyone is okay from your run in with a deer.

UserPostedImage
Click here and find the LATEST Packers News!
Offline wpr  
#6 Posted : Thursday, October 4, 2012 5:39:51 AM(UTC)
wpr

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States

Originally Posted by: Pack93z Go to Quoted Post
Here is north Central Wisconsin, it is almost a norm to avoid deer, raccoons and turkeys, at points daily. And the deer haven't even it rut yet.

Wayne, you get a hold of your insurance agent okay? Big Grin

Seriously, echo VR's sentiment that you were not hurt.

yep it coulda been bad. He was leaping. Deer off the ground + car going at a high speed + deer coming through windshield into your lap.

I wasn't going fast enough so be bounced off and kept running.

UserPostedImage

Offline wpr  
#7 Posted : Thursday, October 4, 2012 5:54:50 AM(UTC)
wpr

United States

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool Go to Quoted Post
A dear hit me while driving back from visiting dad several weeks ago. Before knowing if there was any damage, my sister of course says "did he run away okay?" ... I said something about hoping the fucker has a massive concussion! I was extremely lucky, no damage except a little mark where his antler hit my door. He hit me pretty hard too so yeah very lucky no damage and that I had a break away mirror on the door.

Hope everyone is okay from your run in with a deer.

A few months ago I heard the deer hit my car. Could not find any damage.

I have seen antlers sticking though the car door. Another time they were embedded int he radiator. I had one jumping over a bank (dirt not the money kind.) and land on a customers roof.

My favorite deer encounter was not a deer car accident. I was driving down the road about 10 Am. A huge buck was standing in my lane on the road. I don't know antler counts but it was gigantic. Let's say 10-12 point buck. I slowed down. He didn't move. This was a State Highway. He started walking towards me. We were right in the middle of rutting season. I assume his eyesight wasn't the best. After about 3 or 4 paces he realized I was not another deer so he turned and walked off the road to the empty field. There was a fence. Most deer when they are getting away from humans run. They jump the fence and take off. He just walked. This was his turf and no one was scaring him off. He simply decided to see if there was food laying out in the field. He barley lifted his front legs over the fence and without any effort at all brought the back ones over too.

It almost seemed as if his cojones were any bigger he would have gotten a nice scratch on his way over the fence.

When he got to the other side he still didn't run away. He walked the fence line in the same direction I was heading. I didn't take off right away I slowly kept pace with him. 2 reasons. He could have easily cleared the fence and been back in front of me. 2 He was magnificent. We went along for about 500 feet or so before he got tired of me and headed out to the far side of the field and the tress that were there.

UserPostedImage

Offline Wade  
#8 Posted : Thursday, October 4, 2012 6:16:30 AM(UTC)
Wade

Applause Given: 630
Applause Received: 648

They do make good food though.

Venison summer sausage -- yum.

Venison tenderloin, cut into 2" thick medallions, marinated in balsamic vinegar and a strawberry/fig glaze, grilled rare/mediium rare and served with a Malbec reduction -- double yum.

Deer are proof that man was made to be a carnivore.

Big Grin
None of the above. It wouldn't have been a wasted vote. Obama and Romney -- Those were the wasted votes.
thanks Post received 2 applause.
wpr on 10/4/2012(UTC), Formo on 10/4/2012(UTC)
Offline Porforis  
#9 Posted : Thursday, October 4, 2012 6:54:13 AM(UTC)
Porforis

United States

Applause Given: 168
Applause Received: 333

I'm glad you didn't get hurt, I've only been in one major car crash (close to head on with impact to my drivers side, me going 40 the other guy 10) and it officially put an end to my young, resilient back/neck. Hitting a deer beats hitting a car in most cases but I've heard enough stories of deer going through windshields to say that I'm glad you were fortunate (besides the whole hitting a deer part)
UserPostedImage
Offline MontanaBob  
#10 Posted : Thursday, October 4, 2012 12:41:05 PM(UTC)
MontanaBob

Applause Received: 55

Man, glad you weren't hurt. My wife brushed one two years ago on her way home late at night and all we found on the car was some fur in the front left fender. She said it jumped over the hood, left some DNA on the fender, and was off into the night.

I had a Moose try to battle my pick-up last November. He thought I was an intruder into his harem and was going to show who's boss Moose here. Hey, Bullwinkle, I'm only trying to find some downed beetle killed Lodgepole Pine for my fire pit, and your having a shitfit about it. When I looked across the road, way back in the boonies, there were three cow Moose looking at me like..."Boy Mister, are you in a world of hurt now."

Still have two bing dings in the rear left panel of my truck.
Anyone for a Weenie Roast?
Offline wpr  
#11 Posted : Thursday, October 4, 2012 12:48:03 PM(UTC)
wpr

United States

This little ding is $3575.

Next time you bitch about the cost of your auto insurance and scream at the blood sucking insurance companies remember they are not the only blood suckers. The body shops factor in as do the hospitals and trial lawyers.
wpr attached the following image(s):
Wayne accident 1.jpg (27kb) downloaded 2 time(s).
Wayne accident 2.jpg (17kb) downloaded 4 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.

UserPostedImage

Offline wpr  
#12 Posted : Thursday, October 4, 2012 12:56:31 PM(UTC)
wpr

United States

Btw-

The body shop showed me where the hood was starting to rust. (It is a 2003) so we will have a new hood even though it is an after market part. that is not too bad. Also the head lite lens were frosting over when I bought it. I was thinking about replacing them. I hated the idea of spending $500 to change them. Now it will only cost me $250. Well actually $500 after I have paid the deductible too. d'oh!

UserPostedImage

Offline MontanaBob  
#13 Posted : Thursday, October 4, 2012 2:32:18 PM(UTC)
MontanaBob

Applause Received: 55

Which is why I don't have the dings repaired. And, isn't that just like the body shops to point out all the rust spots and things that will "definitely" make your vehicle fall apart within the next 500 miles. So, you better spend $4,000 and get it up to par and you won't be sorry. And....the body shops bank account won't be sorry either.

My wifes' Grand Am has a dent in the roof where an Elk danced a two step on it 4 years ago. Lowest estimate was $2,000 for a new roof panel. Hell with that. When people ask what happened there, we have a heck of a story about "Dancing with Elk" to go along with how that happened. Keeps people laughing for hours, until they realize we are dead serious.
Anyone for a Weenie Roast?
Offline wpr  
#14 Posted : Thursday, October 4, 2012 2:44:56 PM(UTC)
wpr

United States

Most of the time I let the dings go. Couldn't this time. The integrity of the hood is compromised. I would hate to have it come flying up and hit the windshield when my wife is driving down the road. If she survived she would come home and beat me with a stick for being a cheap sob. Besides, she wants her "pretty car" back.

UserPostedImage

Offline Cheesey  
#15 Posted : Thursday, October 4, 2012 2:48:37 PM(UTC)
Cheesey

Applause Given: 159
Applause Received: 326

Hey Wayne....they have a product out that you just wipe on "fogged" car lenses and it takes the fog off. I wish i could remember the name of the stuff, but i know they have it at Walgreens. A friend of mine used it and was pleasantly surprised at the results.

Now for my "animal" stories. I hit a big buck that was crossing Hwy 141 back in the late 1980's when we lived in Pembine Wisconsin. I was driving up to "Iron-on Mountain" to pick my wife up at work. It was Halloween night (of all nights). The buck was running down the shoulder of the road the same direction i was driving. I came around the bend going 55, and there he was. Before i could even hit the brakes, he jumped onto the road in front of me, hit a patch of ice and was going down when i hit him. He hit the bumper, flew around in the air, and ran off into the woods. No real damage on my car at all.
Also had another one come running down a hill, and was headed straight for the side of my car, but fell down before it could run into me.
Also last year just missed hitting a bear crossing the road by Crivitz Wi.

One of the strangest things was, a few years ago, driving on I-43 headed up north, a bird flew out from the right side of the car, across the windshield, and made a direct hit on my driver's side mirror, taking it right off the car.

I've had more close calls with deer then i could count. For the most part though, i've been pretty lucky that way.
Even had what i consider my "guardian angel" warn me of one once. I was driving about a mile from home, when this voice said "don't go over 45MPH, there's going to be a deer crossing the road ahead". It was 55mph speed limit on this road, and that's what i always did, 55. Well, at first i "poo poo'ed" it away, but figured maybe i should listen. I drove for the mile, at 45, and a deer ran right in front of the car. Had i been doing 55, i would have hit it.
Strange, but totally true.
UserPostedImage
Rss Feed