Green Bay Packers Forum

Join Our Green Bay Packers Interactive Community!

We have been providing fans with the best source of Packers information since 2006!
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
3 Pages123>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline DakotaT  
#1 Posted : Sunday, October 7, 2012 1:44:34 PM(UTC)
DakotaT

Applause Given: 686
Applause Received: 1,403

We are not a focused football team. We commit stupid penalties, do not execute, and get out hustled by inferior competition. Give the Colts their due - they took the game from us.

And McCarthy needs to pull his head out of his ass and call a better game. 21-3 and doesn't even try running the ball the whole second half. I don't care if Benson was knocked out.
UserPostedImage
thanks Post received 1 applause.
yooperfan on 10/8/2012(UTC)
Sponsor
Offline nerdmann  
#2 Posted : Sunday, October 7, 2012 1:50:35 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Applause Given: 2,784
Applause Received: 675

Originally Posted by: DakotaT Go to Quoted Post
We are not a focused football team. We commit stupid penalties, do not execute, and get out hustled by inferior competition. Give the Colts their due - they took the game from us.

And McCarthy needs to pull his head out of his ass and call a better game. 21-3 and doesn't even try running the ball the whole second half. I don't care if Benson was knocked out.

Mike McCarthy needs to hire a shrink to consult on actually having this team ready to play a full 60 once in awhile.

Same old same old.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline porky88  
#3 Posted : Sunday, October 7, 2012 3:13:59 PM(UTC)
porky88

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2012Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2013Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2014

Applause Given: 198
Applause Received: 421

Originally Posted by: nerdmann Go to Quoted Post
MM needs to hire a shrink to consult on actually having this team ready to play a full 60 once in awhile.

Same old same old.

Perhaps McCarthy needs to hire someone to get him ready to coach.
thanks Post received 1 applause.
nerdmann on 10/7/2012(UTC)
Offline Rios39  
#4 Posted : Sunday, October 7, 2012 3:16:51 PM(UTC)
Rios39

Applause Given: 1
Applause Received: 30

The thing is whenever we tried to run Green would make a dumb cut and it'd be 2nd and 12 and we'd end up throwing. A few drives started out with runs that put us behind the 8 ball and then the game started to get close to where we had to throw because our runs were not going positive yardage post benson injury.

If we aren't going to run the ball we need to be shortening these routes up. I don't mind running a few deep routes but at least put some check down receivers out there.
blank
Offline StoicFire  
#5 Posted : Sunday, October 7, 2012 7:33:44 PM(UTC)
StoicFire

Applause Given: 29
Applause Received: 54

I'm not a fan of all the McCarthy bashing no matter how bad this last loss was. He is an intelligent, prepared, accountable coach with one Super Bowl win so far.

A coach can only do so much though... at some point the players must execute as directed.
"the Quarterback can run if he wants to, but with this rocket attached to your body... who would?" -Aaron Rodgers
Offline blueleopard  
#6 Posted : Sunday, October 7, 2012 8:58:38 PM(UTC)
blueleopard

Applause Received: 73

So was Jon Gruden. You don't see him on the field anymore.
Danreb Victorio A Believer of Greg Jennings
Offline zombieslayer  
#7 Posted : Sunday, October 7, 2012 9:01:59 PM(UTC)
zombieslayer

Applause Given: 778
Applause Received: 495

Originally Posted by: StoicFire Go to Quoted Post
I'm not a fan of all the McCarthy bashing no matter how bad this last loss was. He is an intelligent, prepared, accountable coach with one Super Bowl win so far.

A coach can only do so much though... at some point the players must execute as directed.

I'd actually rank Mike McCarthy as one of the top 5 play-callers in the NFL.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage

(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)

2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. Ted Thompson Mike McCarthy Aaron Rodgers
Offline macbob  
#8 Posted : Monday, October 8, 2012 5:06:51 AM(UTC)
macbob

Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Silver: 2012

Applause Given: 319
Applause Received: 265

Originally Posted by: zombieslayer Go to Quoted Post
I'd actually rank Mike McCarthy as one of the top 5 play-callers in the NFL.

I'd agree for the most part, zombie. The exception being when he switches to his Madden video game offense, which unfortunately he's done more than once this year.

The latest being when we were up 18 at half and you'd kinda expect more runs to eat some time off the clock instead of pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass--which is how we started the 2nd half.

I put most of that on MM--the formations we came out in were shotguns. Wasn't Aaron Rodgers audibling out of a run to a pass unless Mike McCarthy had called a draw play from the shotgun.
UserPostedImage
Offline zombieslayer  
#9 Posted : Monday, October 8, 2012 7:04:55 AM(UTC)
zombieslayer

Applause Given: 778
Applause Received: 495

Originally Posted by: macbob Go to Quoted Post
I'd agree for the most part, zombie. The exception being when he switches to his Madden video game offense, which unfortunately he's done more than once this year.

The latest being when we were up 18 at half and you'd kinda expect more runs to eat some time off the clock instead of pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass--which is how we started the 2nd half.

I put most of that on MM--the formations we came out in were shotguns. Wasn't Aaron Rodgers audibling out of a run to a pass unless Mike McCarthy had called a draw play from the shotgun.

Had Aaron Rodgers hit some of his underneath receivers instead of going for the 25+ yard completion, we wouldn't even be having this discussion. I saw a few times where there was someone open underneath, but Aaron Rodgers gunned it for the guy deeper downfield.

I think that MVP went to Aaron Rodgers's head. He needs to take what he can get. Hate to say it, but maybe Aaron Rodgers should be watching more Tom Brady videos. Brady will take a 5 yard completion to open up another 5 yard completion to open up another 5 yard completion to open up the 40 yard completion.

That stuff chews up the clock almost as well as a running game does.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage

(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)

2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. Ted Thompson Mike McCarthy Aaron Rodgers
Offline Porforis  
#10 Posted : Monday, October 8, 2012 7:36:50 AM(UTC)
Porforis

United States

Applause Given: 174
Applause Received: 334

Originally Posted by: Rios39 Go to Quoted Post
The thing is whenever we tried to run Green would make a dumb cut and it'd be 2nd and 12 and we'd end up throwing. A few drives started out with runs that put us behind the 8 ball and then the game started to get close to where we had to throw because our runs were not going positive yardage post benson injury.

If we aren't going to run the ball we need to be shortening these routes up. I don't mind running a few deep routes but at least put some check down receivers out there.

I am now convinced that our inability to run outside is a coaching issue first, line issue second. It didn't work well with Grant, it didn't work well with Starks, it hasn't worked well with Benson, and it was terrible with Green. You do need to run it outside at least a few times a game to keep the defense honest, but it sure would be nice to get positive yards once in a while rather than seeing the play develop so slowly and defenders swarming through.
UserPostedImage
Offline go.pack.go.  
#11 Posted : Monday, October 8, 2012 7:51:01 AM(UTC)
go.pack.go.

Applause Received: 44

Originally Posted by: Porforis Go to Quoted Post
I am now convinced that our inability to run outside is a coaching issue first, line issue second. It didn't work well with Grant, it didn't work well with Starks, it hasn't worked well with Benson, and it was terrible with Green. You do need to run it outside at least a few times a game to keep the defense honest, but it sure would be nice to get positive yards once in a while rather than seeing the play develop so slowly and defenders swarming through.

I'd actually have to disagree when you say that it hasn't worked with Benson. I have noticed a big difference in Benson this year compared to when Green was in the game or Starks last year or even Ryan Grant. I think Benson is a very good back and he's obviously better than anybody else we've had in a few years. Our offense went straight down hill yesterday when he got hurt.

Signature made by me
UserPostedImage
SUPERBOWL XLV CHAMPS!!!!
Offline play2win  
#12 Posted : Monday, October 8, 2012 8:04:45 AM(UTC)
play2win

United States

Applause Given: 1,076
Applause Received: 725

Originally Posted by: StoicFire Go to Quoted Post

No. Sorry, but this statement just does not hold water, not now. Prepared? How? Accountable? How? By saying he has to "fix this" in his post-game presser? Really? An intelligent, prepared and accountable coach will recognize a shift in momentum and make the necessary adjustments.

The real genius is Dakota T, for summing up our teams problems in two simple words: "NO FOCUS" - that is a top-down problem. We had so many players underperform yesterday, at nearly every position on the team, which speaks directly to Mike McCarthy and an ill-prepared team.

Accountability would have been on display had McCarthy fixed what went wrong in SEA. He didn't. Yesterday's 2nd half was the exact same story, different day, different team, same mistakes.
Offline play2win  
#13 Posted : Monday, October 8, 2012 8:07:15 AM(UTC)
play2win

United States

Applause Given: 1,076
Applause Received: 725

Originally Posted by: Porforis Go to Quoted Post

The only running play that I have seen work to the outside is when Cobb gets the call. I can't recall a single outside run that has worked with anyone other than Cobb.
Offline PackFanWithTwins  
#14 Posted : Monday, October 8, 2012 8:13:21 AM(UTC)
PackFanWithTwins

Applause Given: 14
Applause Received: 442

Originally Posted by: go.pack.go. Go to Quoted Post
I'd actually have to disagree when you say that it hasn't worked with Benson. I have noticed a big difference in Benson this year compared to when Green was in the game or Starks last year or even Ryan Grant. I think Benson is a very good back and he's obviously better than anybody else we've had in a few years. Our offense went straight down hill yesterday when he got hurt.

The big difference with Benson IMO. Has been running between the tackles. Outside we still are no good at. Sure a play here or there may work. But mostly they do not. The defense seems to always beat our Oline to the edge. Our line has more ability to play steam rollers, than finese. We should only run outside on pitches. We have a chance with them.

Olineman take pride in run blocking. Abandoning it the way McCarthy does is a slap in the face to them.
The world needs ditch diggers to Danny!!!
UserPostedImage
Offline go.pack.go.  
#15 Posted : Monday, October 8, 2012 12:31:13 PM(UTC)
go.pack.go.

Applause Received: 44

Originally Posted by: PackFanWithTwins Go to Quoted Post
The big difference with Benson IMO. Has been running between the tackles. Outside we still are no good at. Sure a play here or there may work. But mostly they do not. The defense seems to always beat our Oline to the edge. Our line has more ability to play steam rollers, than finese. We should only run outside on pitches. We have a chance with them.

Olineman take pride in run blocking. Abandoning it the way McCarthy does is a slap in the face to them.

I agree with everything you say here. We really don't have an outside run game whatsoever. It seems like Alex Green would be good at that, considering how quick/fast he is. But we also have to remember that he's 225 pounds as well. Randall Cobb is the only player on our team that has elite speed to get to the outside with this offensive line, in my opinion.
Signature made by me
UserPostedImage
SUPERBOWL XLV CHAMPS!!!!
Rss Feed