Welcome to your Green Bay Packers Online Community!

Since 2006, PackersHome has been providing a unique experience for fans.
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
4 Pages<1234>
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline play2win  
#31 Posted : Monday, October 8, 2012 7:44:00 AM(UTC)
play2win

United States

Applause Given: 1,076
Applause Received: 725

Originally Posted by: RajiRoar Go to Quoted Post
why is this shit so obvious to EVERYONE but NOTHING gets done about it?

it's been the same shit every week!

long developing plays = sacks! esspecially when the D is taking away the deep routs you are constantly forcing....

what ever happened to our "bread and butter" slants? quick passing game that was emphasized ALL offseason?

we are 5 weeks in and we havn't fixed anything.

Brick wall Brick wall Brick wall Brick wall

Absolutely. This was a pathetic job of play calling by the Packers. Either it is on Clements or Rodgers for the actual calls, but McCarthy is ultimately responsible. Horrible, pathetic job either way.
Offline play2win  
#32 Posted : Monday, October 8, 2012 7:47:27 AM(UTC)
play2win

United States

Originally Posted by: all_about_da_packers Go to Quoted Post

"We're up 21-3 at halftime and we sort of changed our game plan in the second half and we couldn't do (expletive)," an obviously angry guard T.J. Lang said. "They knew all we were doing was throwing the ball so they were coming with everything they had."

This was not the first time we've been in this situation. How stupid is the man who keeps making the same mistakes over and over, expecting different results? McCarthy needs to change this, and damn fast.

Genius.... Really???
Offline PackFanWithTwins  
#33 Posted : Monday, October 8, 2012 8:50:03 AM(UTC)
PackFanWithTwins

Applause Given: 13
Applause Received: 357

Last 4 qtrs. When running the ball, 0 sacks. When not running, something like 13.

Do we need to have more reason than that?
The world needs ditch diggers to Danny!!!
UserPostedImage
Offline zombieslayer  
#34 Posted : Monday, October 8, 2012 3:53:40 PM(UTC)
zombieslayer

Applause Given: 778
Applause Received: 495

Originally Posted by: PackFanWithTwins Go to Quoted Post
Last 4 qtrs. When running the ball, 0 sacks. When not running, something like 13.

Do we need to have more reason than that?

Just had to do some fact checking. 3rd Q vs the Colts:
Quote:

Green Bay - 0:15
1st-10, GB25 0:15 A. Green rushed up the middle for 2 yard loss

4th Quarter

Green Bay continued
2nd-12, GB23 15:00 A. Rodgers incomplete pass down the middle
3rd-12, GB23 14:57 A. Rodgers sacked by D. Freeney
4th-16, GB19 14:26 T. Masthay punt. T. Hilton returned punt for 7 yards

4th Q vs the Colts:
Quote:

Green Bay - 7:58
1st-10, GB26 7:58 A. Rodgers passed to J. Jones to the right for 24 yard gain
1st-10, 50 7:28 A. Green rushed to the right for 5 yard gain
2nd-5, IND45 6:53 A. Rodgers sacked by M. Fokou
3rd-11, GB49 6:22 A. Rodgers sacked by C. Redding
4th-18, GB42 5:47 T. Masthay punt, no return

I don't think it was that simple. I think during half-time, the Colts' coach must have given one hell of a half-time speech that fired up the Colts while we got complacent.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage

(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)

2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. Ted Thompson Mike McCarthy Aaron Rodgers
Offline Rios39  
#35 Posted : Monday, October 8, 2012 4:15:21 PM(UTC)
Rios39

Applause Given: 1
Applause Received: 30

We are going to need to shorten up the routes and run the ball out of the I formation maybe even bring the wishbone back..
blank
Offline wpr  
#36 Posted : Monday, October 8, 2012 5:07:53 PM(UTC)
wpr

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 2,876
Applause Received: 1,391

Packers Are Terrible When They Don’t Run

Quote:
We’ve been harping on this theme for a number of weeks, but now we actually have some numbers to the prove the point — the Green Bay Packers are terrible when they don’t run the ball.

Since 2010, when the Packers drop back to pass more than 70 percent of the time they’re 2-8. They’ve now done that three times this season and they’ve lost each game.

Sunday was another one of those occasions. The Packers dropped back to pass 74 percent of the time. You saw what happened. The Colts defense teed off the Packers shitty offensive line, sacking quarterback Aaron Rodgers five times. They also dropped both of their safeties so the deep ball was nowhere to be found.

Still, Mike McCarthy decided to go out there and wing it around anyway.

Buffoon!

The Packers were well on their way to a probable blowout of the Colts in the first half. Then running back Cedric Benson went down. While he was in the game, the Packers were running nearly as much as they were passing (53 percent). After he left, the Packers passed 77 percent of the time.

In the Packers other two losses this season, they passed 85 percent of the time against the 49ers and 78 percent of the time against Seattle.

See a pattern here, buffoon?

Ah, f*ck it, let’s just go deep on every play. We’re bound to hit a couple of them!

For the record, the Packers are 29-3 since 2010 when they pass less than 70 percent of the time.

Somewhat distorted "stat". It doesn't take into account the fact that you pass more when trailing (not this week.) and run more when you are up by 2-3 scores.
"You don't hurt 'em if you don't hit 'em." Chesty Puller

UserPostedImage

thanks Post received 1 applause.
play2win on 10/9/2012(UTC)
Offline nerdmann  
#37 Posted : Monday, October 8, 2012 5:30:23 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Applause Given: 2,475
Applause Received: 620

We all know what is going on with that.

So, apparently does TJ Lang.

Everybody knows what this team needs to do in order to win.

Now all Mike McCarthy and Aaron Rodgers have to do is, THAT.

There's no excuse this year. The defense is improved.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline macbob  
#38 Posted : Monday, October 8, 2012 7:34:04 PM(UTC)
macbob

Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Silver: 2012

Applause Given: 284
Applause Received: 235

Originally Posted by: wpr Go to Quoted Post
Packers Are Terrible When They Don’t Run

Somewhat distorted "stat". It doesn't take into account the fact that you pass more when trailing (not this week.) and run more when you are up by 2-3 scores.

True, WPR, but Mike McCarthy has been abandoning the run in close games (or, as in this week, when we were ahead).

For example, first half of the Seahawks games 27 passes, 3 runs. Score was 0-0 until 6:22 left in the 2nd quarter.
UserPostedImage
Offline yooperfan  
#39 Posted : Tuesday, October 9, 2012 4:16:56 AM(UTC)
yooperfan

Applause Given: 561
Applause Received: 255

I would like to see the Packers run the ball 25 times a game and use a short quick throw passing game.
I'm tired of seeeing Rodgers holding unto the ball looking for the "long bomb" and ultimately getting smucked.
McCarthy is obviously a stubborn man and I don't expect him to change though.
wpr on 10/9/2012(UTC)
Offline zombieslayer  
#40 Posted : Tuesday, October 9, 2012 8:08:55 AM(UTC)
zombieslayer

Applause Given: 778
Applause Received: 495

Originally Posted by: yooperfan Go to Quoted Post
I would like to see the Packers run the ball 25 times a game and use a short quick throw passing game.
I'm tired of seeeing Rodgers holding unto the ball looking for the "long bomb" and ultimately getting smucked.
McCarthy is obviously a stubborn man and I don't expect him to change though.

I would just like to see Aaron Rodgers release the **** ball instead of trying to setup the long bomb every play. I saw a few receivers open underneath when Aaron Rodgers ignored them and looked deep vs the Colts. We need to stop doing that.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage

(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)

2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. Ted Thompson Mike McCarthy Aaron Rodgers
Offline nerdmann  
#41 Posted : Tuesday, October 9, 2012 10:35:52 AM(UTC)
nerdmann

Applause Given: 2,475
Applause Received: 620

Originally Posted by: zombieslayer Go to Quoted Post
I would just like to see Aaron Rodgers release the **** ball instead of trying to setup the long bomb every play. I saw a few receivers open underneath when Aaron Rodgers ignored them and looked deep vs the Colts. We need to stop doing that.

Indeed. And shorter, high percentage passes are far less likely to be dropped.

Let them get YAC. We'll still get the long gainers.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline Pack93z  
#42 Posted : Tuesday, October 9, 2012 11:27:09 AM(UTC)
Pack93z

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Bronze: 2012

United States

Applause Given: 385
Applause Received: 1,034

What do you want from a running game? That is the question.

If you simply want to pause, even briefly, the pass rush, yes just attempts will do that.

But if you want the second level of the defense to respect the run, you have to have some effectiveness to it. Just running the ball into the pile will affect the coverage very little if the point of attack is taking care of the run.

So yes, the yards gained, more precisely the yards per carry do impact a defense.

Last season, all we needed to do was rack up the running attempts to pause the pass rush and allow the offensive line to gain an advantage in time and setup.

This season, I think we have to run the ball and affect the second level of the defense with it to force the defense to come out of taking the deep portion of the field away. Once we maintain balance the defense really is going to have to play us honest and it will start to open up that vertical aspect that Rodgers is craving. Patience and balance.

**EDIT**

The above isn't touching down and distance impacts on the play calling and conversion and the impact upon the defense as well.

Edited by user Tuesday, October 9, 2012 5:05:30 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

I think when there's enough will and aggression, there's no shortage of talent either.

UserPostedImage
macbob on 10/9/2012(UTC)
Offline play2win  
#43 Posted : Tuesday, October 9, 2012 12:30:09 PM(UTC)
play2win

United States

Originally Posted by: Pack93z Go to Quoted Post
What do you want from a running game? That is the question.

If you simply want to pause, even briefly, the pass rush, yes just attempts will do that.

But if you want the second level of the defense to respect the run, you have to have some effectiveness to it. Just running the ball into the pile with affect the coverage very little if the point of attack is taking care of the run.

So yes, the yards gained, more precisely the yards per carry do impact a defense.

Last season, all we needed to do was rack up the running attempts to pause the pass rush and allow the offensive line to gain an advantage in time and setup.

This season, I think we have to run the ball and affect the second level of the defense with it to force the defense to come out of taking the deep portion of the field away. Once we maintain balance the defense really is going to have to play us honest and it will start to open up that vertical aspect that Rodgers is craving. Patience and balance.

**EDIT**

The above isn't touching down and distance impacts on the play calling and conversion and the impact upon the defense as well.

All I know is that we look like a bunch of f*cking powder puffs out there on offense, and that is really, really demeaning to powder puffs. I'm sorry to any who might be reading this.

The simple fix is letting your OL tee off on the guy in front of them, with regularity. We have good enough RBs. They will reach the 2nd level if we only give the run game a chance. In my opinion, that is where McCarthy is failing big time. He is failing his OL by forcing them into impossible situations by passing the majority of the time. He is failing his defense with these ridiculous 3 & outs. He is failing Rodgers by putting him more at risk. He is also failing us fans who want to see a winner. Granted, the team has to execute, but the game plans, preparation and play calling leave a lot to be desired.

How hard can it be to call 25+ running plays? It is an attitude thing. We should be mauling other defenses.
Pack93z on 10/9/2012(UTC)
Offline Pack93z  
#44 Posted : Tuesday, October 9, 2012 12:44:51 PM(UTC)
Pack93z

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Bronze: 2012

United States

Applause Given: 385
Applause Received: 1,034

Originally Posted by: play2win Go to Quoted Post
All I know is that we look like a bunch of f*cking powder puffs out there on offense, and that is really, really demeaning to powder puffs. I'm sorry to any who might be reading this.

The simple fix is letting your OL tee off on the guy in front of them, with regularity. We have good enough RBs. They will reach the 2nd level if we only give the run game a chance. In my opinion, that is where McCarthy is failing big time. He is failing his OL by forcing them into impossible situations by passing the majority of the time. He is failing his defense with these ridiculous 3 & outs. He is failing Rodgers by putting him more at risk. He is also failing us fans who want to see a winner. Granted, the team has to execute, but the game plans, preparation and play calling leave a lot to be desired.

How hard can it be to call 25+ running plays? It is an attitude thing. We should be mauling other defenses.

I concur.. 100%.

If I had my druthers.. I would design a team in the model of a balanced team. Probably even run first, however the current NFL rules would sway that. If you can effectively run the ball, you control the game. If you have a QB worth his salt, he is going to find success in the passing game with an effective running game behind him.

Basically you dictate to opposition and that carries over into the defense as well.

Trying to pass first allows the defense to sort of dictate to you, you are going to take what they give you in coverage. That is not how I want a football team to be modeled.. I want that control. I want to dictate pace, the emotions and the clock of that game.

A locker room is a funny place, a bunch of hyper and testosterone flowing guys that feed off emotion of the game. The big hits.. the small victories within a game. There is nothing like punching the rock down someones throat and them looking at you like there is nothing they can do. Whipped. I have been on both sides of that coin at the lower levels.. there is nothing like that natural high.

I truly believe that is why we seem to play to the level of the competition often and at times (lately most of the time) seem to lack fire. We are a opportunistic type team in place of a dictating type team. We don't take what we want.. we take the path of least resistance.

Balance gives you more room for error, and in the NFL, every little edge or play may mean a win or a loss.
I think when there's enough will and aggression, there's no shortage of talent either.

UserPostedImage
Offline Rios39  
#45 Posted : Tuesday, October 9, 2012 12:50:14 PM(UTC)
Rios39

Applause Given: 1
Applause Received: 30

Originally Posted by: zombieslayer Go to Quoted Post

He's looked up to guys like Montana, Favre, Brady ect... Well they knew how to drive down the field and take what the defense gives them. You would NEVER see Montana hold onto the ball this long looking for 30+ yard strikes. In 2007 we never had a running game till Grant came on strong which took us to a new level but early on we were getting by just fine with Favre dinking and dunking his way down the field then occasionally hitting the long pass.

In 2009 we were trying this same BS. Then we got our backs against the wall and had to beat some pretty good teams like the ravens and cowboys to make the playoffs and started throwing shorter passes, slants and driving the fields length. Then the closer we got to the playoffs in came the long routes again, which you can't really complain about with the results of the steelers and cardinals game but Rodgers was JUST getting the ball out at times and took some hits. In the Cardinals game he threw a few balls that should have been picked off.

This is the kind of stuff that a coach like Belichick does NOT let happen. Sdjustments come fast. I've watched a few Patriots games where Brady wasn't getting protected and the pass rush was pretty intense but after a few series they adjusted. Started throwing some short patterns, run the ball a little bit ect.
blank
Rss Feed