Welcome to your Green Bay Packers Online Community!

Since 2006, PackersHome has been providing a unique experience for fans.
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
4 Pages<1234>
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Pack93z  
#16 Posted : Wednesday, October 10, 2012 1:05:07 PM(UTC)
Pack93z

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Bronze: 2012

United States

Applause Given: 381
Applause Received: 1,027

Quote:
The boy was 11-year-old Ben Baltz of Valparaiso, Florida. When he was six, Ben was diagnosed with bone cancer in his right leg, his fibula and tibia had to be removed.

Ben walks with a mechanical knee and prosthetic walking leg, which he switches out for a running leg to play sports. On Sunday, Ben competed in the Sea Turtle Kids Triathlon. Ben had completed the 150-yard swim and 4-mile bike ride and half the one-mile run when a screw came loose and his running leg broke in half.

As he lay on the ground Private First Class Matthew Morgan swept the boy up. Surrounded by his fellow Marines, Matthew brought Ben through the rest of the course. Eye witnesses said there was not a dry eye in the crowd. Said his commanding officer,

"(Matthew's) not a very big guy ... he picked that young boy up quick, threw him on his back and ran the rest of the course ... We're pumped. It's great to see what Marines do. They don't leave anybody behind."

More...

UserPostedImage
I think when there's enough will and aggression, there's no shortage of talent either.

UserPostedImage
thanks Post received 1 applause.
wpr on 10/10/2012(UTC)
Offline wpr  
#17 Posted : Wednesday, October 10, 2012 1:10:31 PM(UTC)
wpr

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 2,831
Applause Received: 1,365

It is just amazing. I bet he wouldn't have put the boy down or given him to one of his buddies for anything.

edit- things like this make it easier to put up with the shit dfoster does. Big Grin
"You don't hurt 'em if you don't hit 'em." Chesty Puller

UserPostedImage

Pack93z on 10/10/2012(UTC)
Offline Pack93z  
#18 Posted : Wednesday, October 10, 2012 1:29:24 PM(UTC)
Pack93z

United States

Originally Posted by: wpr Go to Quoted Post
It is just amazing. I bet he wouldn't have put the boy down or given him to one of his buddies for anything.

edit- things like this make it easier to put up with the shit dfoster does. Big Grin

I have a number of times lost bolts or sheered them in half, once climbing down a tree.. the feeling sucks.

This young Marine probably just made that kids year.. well done indeed.
I think when there's enough will and aggression, there's no shortage of talent either.

UserPostedImage
Offline Pack93z  
#19 Posted : Wednesday, October 10, 2012 1:31:53 PM(UTC)
Pack93z

United States

More on it.

http://www.hlntv.com/sli...nish-line-prosthetic-leg

Quote:
If you've ever doubted your abilities or stopped yourself from going the extra mile, then you need to meet Ben Baltz.

When he was 6, he was diagnosed with bone cancer (osteosarcoma) and had to have part of his right leg removed. He's now 11 and uses a mechanical knee and prosthetic leg to do everything an able-bodied boy can do: play baseball, soccer, swim, bike, climb trees. In fact, he does more than your average kid; he competes in triathlons!

Last weekend, he was racing in the Sea Turtle Tri in Florida. This meant a 150-yard swim, a 4-mile bike ride and a 1-mile run -- all back to back.

Ben's mom eagerly waited for him at the finish line. But the time went ticking by and she started to worry.

"It was only a mile, I knew he was tired, I was like, 'Where is he, where is he, where is he,'" Kim Baltz tells CNN iReport.

What she didn't know was that about halfway through the run, there had been a problem with his leg; It hooks together with screws and one of them had come loose, so the leg literally broke in half. This isn't the first time it's happened, either. This active boy has managed to break 10, supposedly "indestructible" prosthetic legs (made of carbon fiber, mind you!).

Now, here's where you need to get out your hanky, because it was this moment that had the spectators in tears:

"All of a sudden the announcer just said, 'Ladies and gentlemen, I want you to turn around and look at what's happening on the course' ... Everybody was crying," she says. A group of Marines had lifted the boy and carried him across the finish line.

"It was just very touching that the Marines were there," says his mom. "They picked him up and everybody was cheering and just giving them support and Ben support."

Ben was discouraged and a little embarrassed that he had to be carried but his mom told him he should be proud:

"We want to give him the message that he can do anything, and he has an inspirational story, and he just needs to be thankful that he is able to do it because there are a lot of kids out there that are still fighting cancer. We just want him to get out there and participate in life."

She hopes Ben can be an inspiration to other kids -- especially those facing amputations -- to show them there is life after cancer.

And I can related Ben's reaction to being carried.. I will find a way.

That and I have a personal collection of destructed legs.. and tests like shooting the Kevlar wrapped one to see if it actually stopped the bullet. It did.. just a nick in the coloring and a upset doctor. Big Grin

UserPostedImage
thanks Post received 2 applause.
wpr on 10/10/2012(UTC), macbob on 10/11/2012(UTC)
Offline dfosterf  
#20 Posted : Wednesday, October 10, 2012 1:34:28 PM(UTC)
dfosterf

United States

Applause Given: 173
Applause Received: 387

Originally Posted by: wpr Go to Quoted Post

I served my country on the front line - the front line- for thirty years. Not a couple on the front, followed by a couple decades in the rear with the gear. (or defended the front and got the f*ck out) I had two brief sabbaticals from that service. One was recovering from a chest wound incurred in Cambodia. I got 3 years in the 1st Marine Brigade for that (Hawaii) . The 2nd was getting sent to college right after that for 3 more years.

Other than that, I stood a post in good and sometimes incredibly bad (no war stories, but I have 'em) places and situations all over this planet, defending us. I'm a pure dick, but you need dicks like me to do it. you just do, even if you don't know it.

I know nothing of the politics and perceptions of the midwest as practiced by Minnesotans and Wisconsinites. They all seem sort of "flyover" to me.

I do care about shit that in my life's experiences seems to really matter.

Thanks for putting up with me.
Razz

Edited by user Wednesday, October 10, 2012 2:02:48 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

UserPostedImage
damn skippy I'm an owner. I currently own a full .00001924537805515393 % of the Green Bay Packers.

wpr on 10/10/2012(UTC)
Offline wpr  
#21 Posted : Wednesday, October 10, 2012 2:04:31 PM(UTC)
wpr

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States

Originally Posted by: dfosterf Go to Quoted Post
I served my country on the front line - the front line- for thirty years. Not a couple on the front, followed by a couple decades in the rear with the gear. (or defended the front and got the f*ck out) I had two brief sabbaticals from that service. One was recovering from a chest wound incurred in Cambodia. I got 3 years in the 1st Marine Brigade for that (Hawaii) . The 2nd was getting sent to college right after that for 3 more years.

Other than that, I stood a post in good and sometimes incredibly bad (no war stories, but I have 'em) places ans situations all over this planet, defending us. I'm a pure dick, but you need dicks like me to do it. you just do, even if you don't know it.

Thanks for putting up with me.
Razz

YES SIR!

UserPostedImage

I personally want bad ass MFers like you on that Wall. We NEED YOU on that Wall. I thank you for being on that Wall for so long. It has to have colored your perspective on life after being their for so long.

UserPostedImage

Offline Pack93z  
#22 Posted : Wednesday, October 10, 2012 2:08:53 PM(UTC)
Pack93z

United States

UserPostedImage
Offline dfosterf  
#23 Posted : Wednesday, October 10, 2012 2:14:51 PM(UTC)
dfosterf

United States

My wife had me blow-drying a chipmunk that had fallen into our pond but somehow got out and was shivvering to death on our sidewalk.

I was watching ESPN, & had no interest in this revelation when first informed.

I blow (Blew?) dried the little guy for 20 minutes solid. He survived. I was happy, but honestly laughing at what I had become. Laugh
UserPostedImage
damn skippy I'm an owner. I currently own a full .00001924537805515393 % of the Green Bay Packers.

Offline wpr  
#24 Posted : Wednesday, October 10, 2012 2:15:41 PM(UTC)
wpr

United States

Originally Posted by: Pack93z Go to Quoted Post

And I can related Ben's reaction to being carried.. I will find a way.

That and I have a personal collection of destructed legs.. and tests like shooting the Kevlar wrapped one to see if it actually stopped the bullet. It did.. just a nick in the coloring and a upset doctor. Big Grin

shooting the leg upsets the Dr. Duh! go figure.

UserPostedImage

Offline wpr  
#25 Posted : Wednesday, October 10, 2012 2:16:50 PM(UTC)
wpr

United States

My wife had me blow-drying a chipmunk that had fallen into our pond but somehow got out and was shivvering to death on our sidewalk.

I was watching ESPN, & had no interest in this revelation when first informed.

I blow (Blew?) dried the little guy for 20 minutes solid. He survived. I was happy, but honestly laughing at what I had become. Laugh

a nurturing Marine. Who would have thunk it? Big Grin

UserPostedImage

Offline dfosterf  
#26 Posted : Wednesday, October 10, 2012 2:28:57 PM(UTC)
dfosterf

United States

Yes, but I learned his TACTICS, so there was a lesson in it for me. Initially, I thought I could dry him ALL OVER, but NO- He would scurry under our Wisteria tree if you approached him from the front-quarter-frontward. I learned quickly to only hit him from the rear flanks and rear-ward with the blow-dryer, thereby allowing a full 20 minute dwell-time in order to save his ass, at once incorporating Sun-Tzu principles with KUMBAYA shit learned from the SPCA and other commie save the animals wacko sources all-at-once.

Just like John Glenn, exploring new horzons for the Corps, lol

UserPostedImage

wpr on 10/10/2012(UTC)
Offline PackFanWithTwins  
#27 Posted : Wednesday, October 10, 2012 3:17:22 PM(UTC)
PackFanWithTwins

Applause Given: 11
Applause Received: 352

They are arrogant Navy squids, after all... lol

Its not arrogance when its true.

Not much good when can't even get themselves to the battle without a ride.
The world needs ditch diggers to Danny!!!
UserPostedImage
Offline vikesrule  
#28 Posted : Wednesday, October 10, 2012 3:32:48 PM(UTC)
vikesrule

Applause Given: 60
Applause Received: 193

Originally Posted by: PackFanWithTwins Go to Quoted Post

Hmmmmm......Think

Offline dfosterf  
#29 Posted : Thursday, October 11, 2012 3:13:28 PM(UTC)
dfosterf

United States

Originally Posted by: PackFanWithTwins Go to Quoted Post

I was only kidding. I have a profoundly great respect for the Navy and what all those sailors do, including the SEALS. Much of the time I'm only messsin' with Nick, and he KNOWS I'm only f*ckin' with him. I have even told some stories of the bravery I witnessed about those sailors while giving me a ride... And what Nick did in the NAVY- for God's sake-- He had stones, this I know. So, there you go.
UserPostedImage

Offline zombieslayer  
#30 Posted : Thursday, October 11, 2012 4:41:01 PM(UTC)
zombieslayer

Applause Given: 778
Applause Received: 495

I was only kidding. I have a profoundly great respect for the Navy and what all those sailors do, including the SEALS. Much of the time I'm only messsin' with Nick, and he KNOWS I'm only f*ckin' with him. I have even told some stories of the bravery I witnessed about those sailors while giving me a ride... And what Nick did in the NAVY- for God's sake-- He had stones, this I know. So, there you go.

Kidney?

Poor guy. I heard those hurt when you pass them.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage

(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)

2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. Ted Thompson Mike McCarthy Aaron Rodgers
wpr on 10/11/2012(UTC)
Rss Feed