You are not logged in. Join Free! | Log In Thank you!    

Welcome to your Green Bay Packers Online Community!

Since 2006, PackersHome has been providing a unique experience for fans.
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Zero2Cool  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, October 10, 2012 5:45:15 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

United States

Applause Given: 1,743
Applause Received: 1,792

Clay Matthews, tweeted wrote:
If the NFL really wants to increase player safety, start protecting players on BOTH sides of the ball. . . . Where is the NFL's protection on blocks below the waist like that on Cushing. Double standard!

unknown Packer Player wrote:
It’s definitely on us as players. But I think the refs are out to get us this year.

I said earlier that I think the Seahawks outcome has tweaked this teams psyche and they are more concerned with the referee's making the call than they are about the opponent. This really bothers me.

Edited by user Wednesday, October 10, 2012 6:23:13 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

UserPostedImage
Click here and find the LATEST Packers News!
Sponsor
Offline PackFanWithTwins  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, October 10, 2012 7:30:23 AM(UTC)
PackFanWithTwins

Applause Given: 11
Applause Received: 345

I don't think that Matthews tweet has anything to do with refs. It is simply about some players being protected with hits that have low likely hood of ending a career. Perry hit on Luck for example, and other hits that could, like a desperation chop block on Cushing.

The second comment I think would depend on who made it. I could see a defensive player more specifically getting this in their head. Shields probably more than anybody. but that also is a pretty common thought in DBs. Not out to get a team as in a position or positional group like DBs. Heck we have seen for years, every time one makes a play, the first thing they have to do is look to see if a flag was thrown.

The world needs ditch diggers to Danny!!!
UserPostedImage
thanks Post received 1 applause.
dyeah_gb on 10/10/2012(UTC)
Offline dyeah_gb  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, October 10, 2012 3:37:37 PM(UTC)
dyeah_gb

Applause Given: 22
Applause Received: 24

Originally Posted by: PackFanWithTwins Go to Quoted Post
.. Heck we have seen for years, every time one makes a play, the first thing they have to do is look to see if a flag was thrown.

This is a point I want to emphasize as well. It has gotten to the point that every damn incompletion requires the QB or WR to whine for a PI call. I don't want to see the Pack act that way and it annoys the hell out of me when I see other teams do it.

The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool - R. Feynman
Offline nerdmann  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, October 10, 2012 3:49:37 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Applause Given: 2,106
Applause Received: 472

Originally Posted by: dyeah_gb Go to Quoted Post
This is a point I want to emphasize as well. It has gotten to the point that every damn incompletion requires the QB or WR to whine for a PI call. I don't want to see the Pack act that way and it annoys the hell out of me when I see other teams do it.

They need to clean up the PI rule.

No question about that.

I DO believe there are untoward influences in the NFL.

FIRST: I believe that the rules favor offensive players in an attempt to increase scoring and "highlight reel" type plays.

SECOND: I do believe the referees have an agenda to try to keep games close, again to maximize television viewership.

There is money in gambling, and I do believe that some of that goes on, as far as game fixing or point shaving and whatnot. HOWEVER, imo the biggest untoward influence in the game comes from Goodell himself. He wants television ratings and the money that comes with it, at all costs, including that of the integrity of the game.

That said, my biggest secret fear is that I'll wake up one day and be unpopular. Anxious
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline PackFanWithTwins  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, October 10, 2012 3:56:00 PM(UTC)
PackFanWithTwins

Applause Given: 11
Applause Received: 345

If the NFL really cared about player safety, they would let PI go and defenders to defend receivers. It would lower the number of passes because of tighter coverage, and players would be less willing to light up the WR if they knew their teammate was covering them tight.
The world needs ditch diggers to Danny!!!
UserPostedImage
thanks Post received 2 applause.
Pack93z on 10/10/2012(UTC), DakotaT on 10/10/2012(UTC)
Offline Gaycandybacon  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, October 10, 2012 5:12:54 PM(UTC)
Gaycandybacon

United States

Applause Given: 145
Applause Received: 173

Originally Posted by: PackFanWithTwins Go to Quoted Post
If the NFL really cared about player safety, they would let PI go and defenders to defend receivers. It would lower the number of passes because of tighter coverage, and players would be less willing to light up the WR if they knew their teammate was covering them tight.

I think they should let you challenge PI reguardless of tipped passes and what not. Because it is by far the most called penaltie.
Offline Gaycandybacon  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, October 10, 2012 5:16:38 PM(UTC)
Gaycandybacon

United States

Applause Given: 145
Applause Received: 173

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool Go to Quoted Post
I said earlier that I think the Seahawks outcome has tweaked this teams psyche and they are more concerned with the referee's making the call than they are about the opponent. This really bothers me.

That "unknown packer" was probably TJ Lang.Tongue
Offline Wade  
#8 Posted : Thursday, October 11, 2012 6:22:21 AM(UTC)
Wade

Applause Given: 560
Applause Received: 587

IMO the worst change in the rules in my lifetime was the 5-yard chuck rule. Allow bump and run coverage (and pushing off until the ball is in the air, then hands off.

Interference still will be a judgment call, but would be a lot simpler for morons like the lawyers-in-stripes to call. "I saw the ball in the air. You initiated the contact I saw. Penalty. STFU."

Of course the modern receiver is such a wuss that pass completions would fall by 50 percent for a couple years.

But it'd be worth it.

None of the above. It wouldn't have been a wasted vote. Obama and Romney -- Those were the wasted votes.
Offline Zero2Cool  
#9 Posted : Thursday, October 11, 2012 6:48:59 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

United States

Originally Posted by: Wade Go to Quoted Post
IMO the worst change in the rules in my lifetime was the 5-yard chuck rule. Allow bump and run coverage (and pushing off until the ball is in the air, then hands off.

That's very unreasonable as it requires a lot of judgment. The rules need less judgement, less gray area. The NFL needs more black/white rules, not more gray area rules. They need to let players play more and eliminate all these little "loopholes" in the current rules.

UserPostedImage
Offline Porforis  
#10 Posted : Thursday, October 11, 2012 8:28:43 AM(UTC)
Porforis

United States

Applause Given: 167
Applause Received: 328

That's very unreasonable as it requires a lot of judgment. The rules need less judgement, less gray area. The NFL needs more black/white rules, not more gray area rules. They need to let players play more and eliminate all these little "loopholes" in the current rules.

No touching until the receiver has the ball in his hands! Do NOT touch the quarterback!
UserPostedImage
Offline Yerko  
#11 Posted : Thursday, October 11, 2012 8:38:07 AM(UTC)
Yerko

Applause Given: 108
Applause Received: 197

I wouldn't be surprised or upset if that "unknown player" was Sam Shields. The guy has played good defense and been interfered with more than a receiver, yet he gets called for PI.

The calls all around so far have been blatantly horrible, from pass interference to roughing the passer. I still can't believe some people agree with the roughing the passer hit by Perry...that is a text book tackle to me.

Roger Goodell has officially ruined football with all these rules.
UserPostedImage
Offline Zero2Cool  
#12 Posted : Thursday, October 11, 2012 9:29:10 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

United States

Originally Posted by: Porforis Go to Quoted Post
No touching until the receiver has the ball in his hands! Do NOT touch the quarterback!

I would rather see the CB and WR bump and touch as much as they want, as long as they don't restrict the arms/hands in any fashion. Let the best man win.

As for the aiming at the knees, I think it should be avoided and helmet to helmet hits and forearms to the head as well.

UserPostedImage
Offline steveishere  
#13 Posted : Thursday, October 11, 2012 10:12:44 AM(UTC)
steveishere

Applause Given: 27
Applause Received: 599

I don't know I could definitely see the "out to get us" comment being sort of tongue in cheek and not in reference to some sort of conspiracy. It's impossible to know the context being that it's in writing and anonymous.

I kind of agree with Clay. There is no reason a 300+lb man has to dive into a 250lb mans knee to block him. I don't see any detriment to the game by making guys block someone standing up instead of diving at them.
Offline Zero2Cool  
#14 Posted : Thursday, October 11, 2012 10:14:42 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

United States

Originally Posted by: steveishere Go to Quoted Post
I don't know I could definitely see the "out to get us" comment being sort of tongue in cheek and not in reference to some sort of conspiracy. It's impossible to know the context being that it's in writing and anonymous.

"every joke has a little bit of truth to it."

I personally want the previous week's games a far distant memory, and not even joked about or tongue in cheek'd about or anything weeks later. You don't move on, the NFL will pass you by and you'll be 2 - 3 going against a 5 - 0 team on Sunday Night in front of the country.

UserPostedImage
Offline Wade  
#15 Posted : Thursday, October 11, 2012 2:20:38 PM(UTC)
Wade

Applause Given: 560
Applause Received: 587

How does my rule require more judgment than the current mess?

All the official needs to do is "see ball in air" (which has to do already for the interference rule), then look down at DB/WR and see who initiates post-air contact first.

And it gets rid of all that crap about how far past 5 yards is too far. And the "incidental contact" part, too. In fact, eliminates the need for any illegal contact foul at all. Players can mug each other until the ball is in the air, and must play complete hands off afterward. One place of interpretation (first contact after airborne") only, not 3-4

How, short of saying there is no interference foul, is there a more black and white rule possible? Seriously.

(As an aside, I'd also change the penalty to a max 20 yards from LOS.)

None of the above. It wouldn't have been a wasted vote. Obama and Romney -- Those were the wasted votes.