Welcome to your Green Bay Packers Online Community!

Since 2006, PackersHome has been providing a unique experience for fans.
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
8 Pages«<34567>»
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline DarkaneRules  
#61 Posted : Sunday, October 14, 2012 8:54:52 PM(UTC)
DarkaneRules

Applause Given: 200
Applause Received: 326

We won!!! Did we bench Finley? Hope so. We WON!!!!!!!
Circular Arguments: They are a heck of an annoyance
Offline rabidgopher04  
#62 Posted : Sunday, October 14, 2012 8:56:29 PM(UTC)
rabidgopher04

Applause Given: 112
Applause Received: 126

The Pack is back! Finally, this team played like it's capable of doing. Happy to see Jordy's stellar play return.
Do you like bacon?
Offline nerdmann  
#63 Posted : Sunday, October 14, 2012 9:02:23 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Applause Given: 2,383
Applause Received: 600

Green had a very good looking 3 yards per carry on the day. Against a pretty good defense too.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline zombieslayer  
#64 Posted : Sunday, October 14, 2012 9:16:44 PM(UTC)
zombieslayer

Applause Given: 778
Applause Received: 495

This game was a blowout, despite the somewhat close score. We dominated in every category.

Things I really liked seeing:
1) pass blocking was superb. We ARE a pass first team. Deal with it. Those who say we should be a run first team are crack smokers. Aaron Rodgers is an elite QB and a 60/40 ratio is about right. We were actually closer to 65/35 today until the garbage clock-eating runs in the end, but whatever. What matters is our OL finally looked like they did last year,

2) Aaron Rodgers got rid of the ball when he had to. He wasn't holding the ball.

3) Heyward was a nice surprise. I was really worried when Shields went down, but it was a pleasure seeing Heyward play like a Veteran. That guy can time jumps and has a good nose for the football

4) 3-0 turnover battle victory. Nice to see, especially considering Houston is one of more "mistake free" teams

5) Aaron Rodgers looking like Aaron Rodgers. Best QB in the NFL.

6) Despite the drops, our receivers still looked really solid. We saw some really nice TD catches.

7) LOVED Mike McCarthy's playcalling. It was superb.

The bummer about the game though was in the end, I really wanted to see Harrell throw a pass or two, especially to Boykin. Come on. We got nothing to lose. Let Harrell throw the ball. He needs practice.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage

(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)

2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. Ted Thompson Mike McCarthy Aaron Rodgers
thanks Post received 2 applause.
Gaycandybacon on 10/14/2012(UTC), nerdmann on 10/14/2012(UTC)
Offline Gaycandybacon  
#65 Posted : Sunday, October 14, 2012 9:19:35 PM(UTC)
Gaycandybacon

United States

Applause Given: 145
Applause Received: 178

Originally Posted by: Gaycandybacon Go to Quoted Post
2 key stats
When we run 20+ times we win.
But, when we run 10 times or less we lose..

It's as simple as that. Teams take advantage of that so easily, and will kill you with no running game.. (49ers and Colts sure did)
After the second quarter against the Colts, we said goodbye to the running game, and let the defense 'try' to win the game for us.
When we run the ball it keeps the clock going and gives the defense a break on the sidelines. (Which worked great for us untill the 2nd half)

The Texans are so successful at this and creates the perfect forumula to winning on offense and defense.
Like what pack93 said they are top 10 in fewest defense snaps. I almost gurrentee most of those teams have the best records in the NFL. Most likely 2 of em' are in the NFC North...

Idc what Running Backs we have they need to run the ball consistantly throughout games. Hopefully Mike McCarthy is realizing it, even though he strictly bases the offense on matchups. (Which really is not a bad thing)

And, is it me or does the Texans remind us of the Bears? Probably me.

Big Grin Applause Love
Offline stevegb  
#66 Posted : Sunday, October 14, 2012 9:22:03 PM(UTC)
stevegb

Applause Given: 9
Applause Received: 4

Defense was what impressed me the most, offense looked like it was gonna start slow but we got a few penalties that helped us out, after we got into a groove we were unstoppable on offense. Who really impressed me today were: Alex Green, Casey Hayward, Jerel Worthy and James Jones. ARod was obviously awesome like last year and Clay early on in that game was dominating it, Enjoyed Hawks game too.
blank
thanks Post received 2 applause.
Pack93z on 10/14/2012(UTC), wpr on 10/15/2012(UTC)
Offline zombieslayer  
#67 Posted : Sunday, October 14, 2012 9:22:52 PM(UTC)
zombieslayer

Yes, I LOVE the fact that we finally had a RB take 20+ carries. Green had 22. I don't care about the yards. I just care about the carries.

As weird as this is, rushing success has NO BEARING WHATSOEVER on the success of a team. However, number of runs does.

Weird how that works. That's one of those head scratchers.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage

2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. Ted Thompson Mike McCarthy Aaron Rodgers
Offline Pack93z  
#68 Posted : Sunday, October 14, 2012 9:24:06 PM(UTC)
Pack93z

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Bronze: 2012

United States

Applause Given: 383
Applause Received: 1,027

Originally Posted by: zombieslayer Go to Quoted Post

1) pass blocking was superb. We ARE a pass first team. Deal with it. Those who say we should be a run first team are crack smokers. Aaron Rodgers is an elite QB and a 60/40 ratio is about right. We were actually closer to 65/35 today until the garbage clock-eating runs in the end, but whatever. What matters is our OL finally looked like they did last year,

Nobody.. I mean nobody here has said we should be a run first team. But we should be a more balanced team.. today we established the run and kept pumping it in there some. Enough to keep the defense honest.. pass blocking you think magically happened? No, it was helped by running the freaking ball. Think the downfield just magically opened up.. nope.. running the ball helped there.

You pipe off about it, but running the ball is our friend. Deal with it. Big Grin
I think when there's enough will and aggression, there's no shortage of talent either.

UserPostedImage
thanks Post received 1 applause.
Zero2Cool on 10/15/2012(UTC)
Offline Gaycandybacon  
#69 Posted : Sunday, October 14, 2012 9:24:34 PM(UTC)
Gaycandybacon

United States

Applause Given: 145
Applause Received: 178

Originally Posted by: stevegb Go to Quoted Post
Defense was what impressed me the most, offense looked like it was gonna start slow but we got a few penalties that helped us out, after we got into a groove we were unstoppable on offense. Who really impressed me today were: Alex Green, Casey Hayward, Jerel Worthy and James Jones. ARod was obviously awesome like last year and Clay early on in that game was dominating it, Enjoyed Hawks game too.

Don't forgot about Nelson! And the Oline!
Offline zombieslayer  
#70 Posted : Sunday, October 14, 2012 9:25:01 PM(UTC)
zombieslayer

Originally Posted by: Pack93z Go to Quoted Post
Nobody.. I mean nobody here has said we should be a run first team. But we should be a more balanced team.. today we established the run and kept pumping it in there some. Enough to keep the defense honest.. pass blocking you think magically happened? No, it was helped by running the freaking ball. Think the downfield just magically opened up.. nope.. running the ball helped there.

You pipe off about it, but running the ball is our friend. Deal with it. Big Grin

We posted at the same time, amigo. Read what I said above. You'll see we agree.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage

Offline Pack93z  
#71 Posted : Sunday, October 14, 2012 9:25:21 PM(UTC)
Pack93z

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Bronze: 2012

United States

Applause Given: 383
Applause Received: 1,027

Originally Posted by: Pack93z Go to Quoted Post
Some notes on this game.. (from my notebook the highlights)

The Packers Must:

1) Limit the effectiveness of the run.

The Texans pass only 46.63% of the time through 5 games and only 61.61% of their yards come from the pass, and play action is a staple in their offense. So we need to play at least 6 in the box, with focus on the Left Edge of the offensive line and the Guard/Tackle gaps on the right. It is going to be vital that we set the edge on defense and funnel the Texans to run in the middle.

Breakdowns of how they run.

UserPostedImage

Rotate the defensive lineman often to keep them fresh, just contain the run in any fashion possible without dropping extra players into the box. Resign Merling for this game, I have more confidence in Merling in the run than Neal. Put Benson on the Returnable IR. ;)

Please limit the 2 man Defensive Line fronts.. unless it is to funnel the runs inside. Hawk has been playing much closer to the line of scrimmage, DJ Smith has got to plug the holes. Bishop will be missed in this game.. but Smith has to pop Sunday Night.

2) Even up the Time of Possession

To date, the Texans lead the league in Time of Possession at 35:29 per game, leaving their defense on the sidelines and in the top 10 in the fewest defensive snaps. We have to balance that out some with controlling the ball and keeping them off schedule in terms of their balance.

We have already played three defenses that allow less per play in Seattle, Niners, and the Bears. We have to find a way to sustain drives.. and we have to apply a little pressure on them to gamble a bit more on offense. The Texans are in bottom third of the league in yards per rush and but are the fifth stingiest in pass yards per play and 4th in passing yards allowed per game.

Run the Ball and effectively.

We are going to have to buck the odds a bit against their defense.. they currently are allowing on 26 % conversion on 3rd down attempts.. conversely we are allowing 36% on 3rd downs on defense. We convert around 40% of the time on 3rd downs (middle of the pack in the NFL) so we have to pick that up on offense.

3. If we can limit their run, it will trickle down by limiting the play action pass thus their passing game.

This team runs play action a great deal to make their passing game flow, past Johnson, they don't have many guys that can beat coverage consistently by themselves. Maybe Daniels with matchups, but the collective guys not named Johnson should be able to be covered in man. Johnson snaps are being reduced and he seems to lack the same explosion as early in his career (he is nicked up). So we have to minimize the effect of the play action pass and not bite on the run fakes.

If we can limit the run with the box players, we will assist in this priority.The Texans don't have a real good passing game, they are somewhat dependent on the play action pass.. take this away.

4. The Interior of our offensive line has to win their matchups.

The Texans, in my opinion, have the best interior pressure in the league between Watt and Smith. Beyond the interior pass rush, the Texans only have 5 sacks in 5 games, 2 of those on DB blitzes. If we can keep the pocket formed in the interior of the line, we should be able to handle the remaining pressure. If they cannot, this would be a prime team to roll the pocket on and make Watt especially consume even more energy in getting pressure.

5. Take advantage of their special teams.

The Texans are in the bottom third of the league in punt return coverage and kick return coverage. We need to take advantage of those weaknesses and give us an assist in field position.

1. Check
2. Check
3. Check
4. Check. For the most part.. JJ made plays, but Smith was silent. As the numbers support.. they lack another pass rush source other than the inside.
5. Check
I think when there's enough will and aggression, there's no shortage of talent either.

UserPostedImage
thanks Post received 1 applause.
Gaycandybacon on 10/14/2012(UTC)
Offline porky88  
#72 Posted : Sunday, October 14, 2012 9:26:04 PM(UTC)
porky88

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2012Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2013Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2014

Applause Given: 184
Applause Received: 349

This is what I thought would happen following the second half of the Seattle game. A collective effort led by the best quarterback in football. I do worry about Green Bay versus physical teams. The Texans run the ball well, but they aren't a wedge it up the middle type of offense. They rely on the stretch. Nevertheless, the Packers were phenomenal. This feels like a statement win.

Oh, and Aaron Rodgers is pretty good.
Offline zombieslayer  
#73 Posted : Sunday, October 14, 2012 9:28:48 PM(UTC)
zombieslayer

Originally Posted by: porky88 Go to Quoted Post
This is what I thought would happen following the second half of the Seattle game. A collective effort led by the best quarterback in football. I do worry about Green Bay versus physical teams. The Texans run the ball well, but they aren't a wedge it up the middle type of offense. They rely on the stretch. Nevertheless, the Packers were phenomenal. This feels like a statement win.

Oh, and Aaron Rodgers is pretty good.

The team in the NFC I'm worried about is the Giants. Our OL seems to get pushed around like rag dolls against them.

Against the Texans, our OL held up really well, except against that sack leader guy. Bummer he passed up CM3.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage

Offline mi_keys  
#74 Posted : Sunday, October 14, 2012 9:35:07 PM(UTC)
mi_keys

Applause Given: 207
Applause Received: 345

Yes, I LOVE the fact that we finally had a RB take 20+ carries. Green had 22. I don't care about the yards. I just care about the carries.

As weird as this is, rushing success has NO BEARING WHATSOEVER on the success of a team. However, number of runs does.

Weird how that works. That's one of those head scratchers.

Not a head scratcher, when you're leading you run more to run the clock out.

That said, having an at least marginally effective run game, particularly on some of the draw plays, and running it often enough to make the opposing defense stop and think seemed to slow their pass rush and let our pass attack shine. You talked about this in another post. This is what we need to do. We may not have the most balanced offense, and we're not built to. If we play it like we did tonight though we make the other team at least think about the run and that hesitation is all Rodgers and company need when they're on their game.

After finishing this post I feel like your "head scratcher" line might have been sarcastic... hard to read tone.
Born and bred a cheesehead
Offline mi_keys  
#75 Posted : Sunday, October 14, 2012 9:37:17 PM(UTC)
mi_keys

Applause Given: 207
Applause Received: 345

The team in the NFC I'm worried about is the Giants. Our OL seems to get pushed around like rag dolls against them.

Against the Texans, our OL held up really well, except against that sack leader guy. Bummer he passed up CM3.

Watt can have the personal achievements, Clay and the Pack will take the win any day. Matthews dominated their run game any time they came his way. May not be sexy on the stat sheet but it was far more effective.

I do wish the Pack had Watt though. Guy's an animal.
Born and bred a cheesehead
Rss Feed