Welcome to your Green Bay Packers Online Community!

Since 2006, PackersHome has been providing a unique experience for fans.
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
8 Pages«<678
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Wade  
#106 Posted : Monday, October 15, 2012 7:58:53 PM(UTC)
Wade

Applause Given: 639
Applause Received: 655

Originally Posted by: DarkaneRules Go to Quoted Post
Do you guys think that Raji is overvalued as a run defender? Pickett seemed much more effective in there and even our nickel seems well equipped to step up over that with Neal and Worthy together.

Yes.

IMO a nose tackle should routinely occupy two blockers. Far too often, Raji was getting stoned by just one.

Pickett's only problem is that with his age/weight, he can't do the volume of plays without wearing down.

I have to admit Worthy has looked better than I thought he would.

And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
Offline Wade  
#107 Posted : Monday, October 15, 2012 8:00:00 PM(UTC)
Wade

Originally Posted by: nerdmann Go to Quoted Post
Raji's not known as a run defender. He's a pass rushing NT.

Pickett is the run stuffer of the group.

Except that Raji hasn't been doing either one particularly well (except for the second half of 2010).

And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Offline zombieslayer  
#108 Posted : Tuesday, October 16, 2012 7:03:47 AM(UTC)
zombieslayer

Applause Given: 778
Applause Received: 495

Raji has been solid when Cullen Jenkins was in the lineup. Post-Cullen Jenkins, he's been quite average; definitely not first round material. I think one of Ted Thompson's priorities in the 2012 off-season (via draft, trade, waivers, or whatever) would be to replace Cullen Jenkins.

I've said elsewhere that the 2011 D was so bad that it may take 2 off-seasons to bring us back to elite status (as we were in 2010).
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage

(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)

2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. Ted Thompson Mike McCarthy Aaron Rodgers
Offline DarkaneRules  
#109 Posted : Tuesday, October 16, 2012 10:25:06 AM(UTC)
DarkaneRules

Applause Given: 195
Applause Received: 322

I see a Raji dilemma honestly. Wish we had another Pickett. Raji is not that. Thought he would be.
Circular Arguments: They are a heck of an annoyance
Offline Rios39  
#110 Posted : Tuesday, October 16, 2012 1:18:49 PM(UTC)
Rios39

Applause Given: 1
Applause Received: 30

Originally Posted by: zombieslayer Go to Quoted Post
Raji has been solid when Cullen Jenkins was in the lineup. Post-Cullen Jenkins, he's been quite average; definitely not first round material. I think one of Ted Thompson's priorities in the 2012 off-season (via draft, trade, waivers, or whatever) would be to replace Cullen Jenkins.

I've said elsewhere that the 2011 D was so bad that it may take 2 off-seasons to bring us back to elite status (as we were in 2010).

Well we have Worthy and Daniels as well as Wilson doing good in pass rush. What we need more of is a stout MLB. Bishop is without a doubt solid and Hawk is playing much more fast and aggressive/except in coverage. So I think we either draft a stout MLB Safety or maybe CB. All in all I'm happy with our defense but when we have to rely on our MLB's to cover. When the right plays have been called we have looked good.
blank
Offline Pack93z  
#111 Posted : Tuesday, October 16, 2012 1:23:09 PM(UTC)
Pack93z

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Bronze: 2012

United States

Applause Given: 381
Applause Received: 1,027

No, I don't think Pickett should be there full time. IMO, though, he should be rotated in there in combination with Raji. Raji gives you something Pickett does not.. pass rush push. So I think Pickett should be in a rotation at both nose and end. Either that or you put Pick at the nose and rotate in Raji from end to nose in passing downs.

Another point.. Pickett will wear down at the nose.. he has worn down at end already towards the end of the season. Summary.. it should be a rotation of some sorts between Raji and Pick at nose.
I think when there's enough will and aggression, there's no shortage of talent either.

UserPostedImage
Offline PackerTraxx  
#112 Posted : Tuesday, October 16, 2012 1:25:30 PM(UTC)
PackerTraxx

Applause Given: 18
Applause Received: 127

I think Raji has the talent but for some reason, his, scheme, coaches, it's not being realized. Possibly he could use a little more of a mean streak like Nagota.
Why is Jerry Kramer not in the Hall of Fame?
Offline Rios39  
#113 Posted : Tuesday, October 16, 2012 1:33:56 PM(UTC)
Rios39

well you draft him expecting him to be impact. The better NT's in the game barely get any sacks maybe 1-3 but they push the pile forward and devastate a running game. If he got push up the middle more Clay and Perry could eat up. It's been more our athletic DE's like Worthy and Neal that have been causing problems up the middle.

Oddly we lead the league in sacks this year but still giving up too many points. Yards are about normal. We are getting no picks either. We are good at most positions on the field so this is something that needs to be addressed as a coaching staff. Got to find a way to cover the first soft zone over the middle, that's where the yards are coming from (Hawk, DJ)Hopefully Brad Jones can be decent in coverage, that could help there.

Now Houston is a very good offensive team and we shut them down to 17 points. Chicago was also a very good offensive team that we shut down but haven't played as well against some teams that we are better then.

Shouldn't have given up 32 points to the 49ers, shouldn't have given up 28 points to the colts. Those are the big ones for me. Vs the Saints and Texans you can pretty much guarantee they'll put some kind of offense on you no matter how good your D is.
blank
Online wpr  
#114 Posted : Tuesday, October 16, 2012 1:43:25 PM(UTC)
wpr

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 2,835
Applause Received: 1,368

Originally Posted by: Pack93z Go to Quoted Post
No, I don't think Pickett should be there full time. IMO, though, he should be rotated in there in combination with Raji. Raji gives you something Pickett does not.. pass rush push. So I think Pickett should be in a rotation at both nose and end. Either that or you put Pick at the nose and rotate in Raji from end to nose in passing downs.

Another point.. Pickett will wear down at the nose.. he has worn down at end already towards the end of the season. Summary.. it should be a rotation of some sorts between Raji and Pick at nose.

I was glancing through your post and thought you said "Pick you nose." I have to slow down and read it again. d'oh!

BTW Darth Vader is not a bass guitar player. He would like to be up front in the lights. he is more of a lead guitarist.
"You don't hurt 'em if you don't hit 'em." Chesty Puller

UserPostedImage

Offline nerdmann  
#115 Posted : Tuesday, October 16, 2012 2:09:09 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Applause Given: 2,364
Applause Received: 599

Originally Posted by: Rios39 Go to Quoted Post
well you draft him expecting him to be impact. The better NT's in the game barely get any sacks maybe 1-3 but they push the pile forward and devastate a running game. If he got push up the middle more Clay and Perry could eat up. It's been more our athletic DE's like Worthy and Neal that have been causing problems up the middle.

Oddly we lead the league in sacks this year but still giving up too many points. Yards are about normal. We are getting no picks either. We are good at most positions on the field so this is something that needs to be addressed as a coaching staff. Got to find a way to cover the first soft zone over the middle, that's where the yards are coming from (Hawk, DJ)Hopefully Brad Jones can be decent in coverage, that could help there.

Now Houston is a very good offensive team and we shut them down to 17 points. Chicago was also a very good offensive team that we shut down but haven't played as well against some teams that we are better then.

Shouldn't have given up 32 points to the 49ers, shouldn't have given up 28 points to the colts. Those are the big ones for me. Vs the Saints and Texans you can pretty much guarantee they'll put some kind of offense on you no matter how good your D is.

The INTs are there, we just haven't been getting them. Until this past game.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline Wade  
#116 Posted : Wednesday, October 17, 2012 10:00:59 AM(UTC)
Wade

Originally Posted by: wpr Go to Quoted Post
I was glancing through your post and thought you said "Pick you nose." I have to slow down and read it again. d'oh!

BTW Darth Vader is not a bass guitar player. He would like to be up front in the lights. he is more of a lead guitarist.

No. He's the cellist. :)

Offline Wade  
#117 Posted : Wednesday, October 17, 2012 10:01:44 AM(UTC)
Wade

Originally Posted by: Wade Go to Quoted Post
No. He's the cellist. :)

(Obscure Harry Chapin allusion.)

Offline Rios39  
#118 Posted : Wednesday, October 17, 2012 3:46:00 PM(UTC)
Rios39

Originally Posted by: zombieslayer Go to Quoted Post

What's worth noting is that Jenkins doesn't have a sack in his last 16 games as a starter. They have a large rotation but so do the packers now when at full strength.

We need to start seeing more push from Raji though, he has more than adequate talent around him with Worthy (2 sacks)Wilson (2 sacks)Neal (1 sack/2 games) Pickett who kills is our best run defender on the line. Even Daniels has looked good playing rarely (1 sack). Over the course of the year if those stats continue it'll be one of the more dominant lines in the NFL as far as 3-4 D's go.

Raji has 0 sacks on the year and most NT only get about 0-3 on the year but when watching good defenses you usually always see the line moving towards the QB. We showed some push last week. Against the Bears I believe Raji looked half decent but other than that it's only been outside pressure unless it's a creative stunt blitz. It's time Raji starts dominating upfront or it's time to start looking at other potential NT's within the next few years.

Also, sometimes it looks like Raji is trying to beat guys more than take on blocks and push through, actually looking to show quickness to get a sack. Which worked in 2010 but since he's shown barely anything (probably an adjustment from the offense). You'd think for the amount of times we blitz he could get a one on one and blow a guy up with his strength/speed but that's been more the case with Worthy, Neal, Wilson ect..
blank
Rss Feed