Green Bay Packers Forum

Join Our Green Bay Packers Interactive Community!

We have been providing fans with the best source of Packers information since 2006!
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Wade  
#1 Posted : Saturday, October 20, 2012 9:48:01 AM(UTC)
Wade

Applause Given: 693
Applause Received: 725

I'm thinking personnel moves here...but you can speak of other things, too. The only requirement is admitting where you have been wrong about the Packers in some way. Here are mine (not ranked):

1. Re-signing Cletidus Hunt was a good idea.
2. Drafting Nick Collins was dumb.
3. Trading for a third string Atlanta quarterback was a dumb move.
4. The Packers had no chance of signing Reggie White.
5. Thinking LeShon Johnson should have been drafted by the Pack in the first round.
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
Sponsor
Offline zombieslayer  
#2 Posted : Saturday, October 20, 2012 10:13:18 AM(UTC)
zombieslayer

Applause Given: 778
Applause Received: 495

1. Taking that steroids OT over Barry Sanders, Deion Sanders, or Derek Thomas (THREE Hall of Famers taken immediately after M*nd*****).
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage

(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)

2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. Ted Thompson Mike McCarthy Aaron Rodgers
Offline wpr  
#3 Posted : Saturday, October 20, 2012 12:03:09 PM(UTC)
wpr

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 3,232
Applause Received: 1,554

1. Thinking that taking "Boydarich" was a fantastic idea.
2. Giving up a first round pick for a QB who was taken in the 2nd round and sat on his rear his whole first year was a horrible move.
3. Thinking GB had no shot at getting White.
4. Thinking they spent way too much money on a DE who was past his prime.
5. Believing Rich Campbell would be a stud QB for GB for a decade.
UserPostedImage
Offline nerdmann  
#4 Posted : Saturday, October 20, 2012 12:37:07 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Applause Given: 2,784
Applause Received: 674

Originally Posted by: wpr Go to Quoted Post
1. Thinking that taking "Boydarich" was a fantastic idea.
2. Giving up a first round pick for a QB who was taken in the 2nd round and sat on his rear his whole first year was a horrible move.
3. Thinking GB had no shot at getting White.
4. Thinking they spent way too much money on a DE who was past his prime.
5. Believing Rich Campbell would be a stud QB for GB for a decade.

Those coaches ruined Rich Campbell.

1: Hiring Forrest Gregg
2: Drafting Mandarich
3: Drafting Brent Fullwood
4: Anthony Dilweg, 4B: Robbie Boscoe
5: Hiring Ray Rhodes without interviewing him.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline PackerTraxx  
#5 Posted : Saturday, October 20, 2012 1:02:29 PM(UTC)
PackerTraxx

Applause Given: 18
Applause Received: 127

Don Horn would effectively replace Bart Starr
Rich Campbell would be good
Giving a #1 for Brett Favre was bad
Forrest Greg would win championships
Tony Bennett was a bad #1 pick
Why is Jerry Kramer not in the Hall of Fame?
Offline Pack93z  
#6 Posted : Saturday, October 20, 2012 3:27:38 PM(UTC)
Pack93z

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Bronze: 2012

United States

Applause Given: 403
Applause Received: 1,097

1. Excited that Forrest Gregg was named the football coach.
2. Being skeptical about a cat that came into Green Bay overweight and followed it up with two seasons of injuries. Went on to help form maybe the best front four in Packers history.
3. Pissed about a draft pick from South Carolina in 1988.. Braatz was an idiot again. DOH.
4. A first round pick for a party boy from South Mississippi. Didn't mind the trade, just thought we overpaid.
5. The Package of picks to acquire Clay Matthews was too much.. yeah.. that was a brilliant call upon my part.
I think when there's enough will and aggression, there's no shortage of talent either.

UserPostedImage
Offline RaiderPride  
#7 Posted : Saturday, October 20, 2012 6:27:45 PM(UTC)
RaiderPride

Applause Given: 123
Applause Received: 215

(1.) I concluded that Hazer was a jack ass and would never support Aaron Rodgers. I was wrong I consider Hazer a friend and he has several Rodgers jerseys.

(2.) I concluded that Justin Harrell was a future H.O.F. pick. Even named our new puppy "Justin" after the 2007 draft. (Our new puppy injured himself two days after we got him, and we had to put him down.)

(3.) I concluded that it was a huge mistake to let Holmgren go and thought the Packers should give him total control as G.M and anything else he wanted. (See Cleveland Browns)

(4.) I concluded that Ted Thompson was God. (Oh shit.. cancel that I was right.)

(4. a) I concluded it was time to move on from Coach Mike early in their Super Bowl year. I thought the team had tuned him out.

(5.) I concluded that Favre would eventually screw the Packers. (Oops, I was right again.. never mind.)

(5. a) When I first joined the old newspaper Packer forum that eventually led me here to Packershome.. I was convinced my AFC Raiders would win two more Super Bowls before my NFC Packers won one more.
""People Will Probably Never Remember What You Said, And May Never Remember What You Did. However, People Will Always Remember How You Made Them Feel."
thanks Post received 2 applause.
wpr on 10/20/2012(UTC), dhazer on 10/21/2012(UTC)
Offline wpr  
#8 Posted : Saturday, October 20, 2012 6:59:43 PM(UTC)
wpr

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States

Hey I just thought of another mistake or two on my part. I thought Mike M was a little too young and inexperienced to be truly effective as a HC. While I didn't scream and lament Uncle Teddy's choice I was more than a little skeptical of the selection. He track record as an OC wasn't stellar. I thought a franchise with the tradition of GB would be able to acquire someone with more experience and name recognition.

Likewise I had my concerns when Uncle Teddy was selected as the GM. I thought he could do the job. I just wondered how long it would take him to get up to speed and how good of a GM he would turn out to be.
UserPostedImage
Offline nerdmann  
#9 Posted : Saturday, October 20, 2012 7:38:42 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Originally Posted by: wpr Go to Quoted Post
Hey I just thought of another mistake or two on my part. I thought Mike M was a little too young and inexperienced to be truly effective as a HC. While I didn't scream and lament Uncle Teddy's choice I was more than a little skeptical of the selection. He track record as an OC wasn't stellar. I thought a franchise with the tradition of GB would be able to acquire someone with more experience and name recognition.

Likewise I had my concerns when Uncle Teddy was selected as the GM. I thought he could do the job. I just wondered how long it would take him to get up to speed and how good of a GM he would turn out to be.

Jury's still out on Mike McCarthy far as I'm concerned.

Not so with Ted.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline wpr  
#10 Posted : Saturday, October 20, 2012 7:43:13 PM(UTC)
wpr

United States

Originally Posted by: nerdmann Go to Quoted Post
Jury's still out on Mike McCarthy far as I'm concerned.

Not so with Ted.

well he will not be considered a complete failure since he has a SB to his credit. He also is no longer a young and inexperienced HC. you may not like him but all my concerns proved unfunded.
UserPostedImage
Offline gbguy20  
#11 Posted : Saturday, October 20, 2012 10:12:19 PM(UTC)
gbguy20

Applause Given: 210
Applause Received: 285

Originally Posted by: RaiderPride Go to Quoted Post

(4. a) I concluded it was time to move on from Coach Mike early in their Super Bowl year. I thought the team had tuned him out.

Same. I think the team was 4-4 at the time. I decided I would not root for the Packers until they got rid of this ineffective head coach. That lasted all of 3 days until we won the next game and I was all like "oh mike i can't stay mad at u"
call me Dan
Offline nerdmann  
#12 Posted : Saturday, October 20, 2012 11:38:16 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Originally Posted by: gbguy20 Go to Quoted Post
Same. I think the team was 4-4 at the time. I decided I would not root for the Packers until they got rid of this ineffective head coach. That lasted all of 3 days until we won the next game and I was all like "oh mike i can't stay mad at u"

And we're pretty much right back to that point right now.
Offline beast  
#13 Posted : Sunday, October 21, 2012 1:22:08 AM(UTC)
beast

Applause Given: 262
Applause Received: 322

~ Thinking it was kind of cool that Packers head coach and GM would be the same guy.

~ Thinking it was no huge deal that Mike Holmgren was leaving, I thought it was sour apples and would be fine if he left

~ QB/WR Matt Jones might be the best QB option for the Packers at the time. (Was thinking he might be able to play WR until Favre retired and then maybe stay at WR or switch to QB if he had been practicing it in the offseasons)

~ Getting excited about CB Joey Thomas (the guy drafted the Packers drafted after Ahmad Carroll) I never liked the Carroll pick but I thought Thomas had the physical talent to be a top CB, but looking back on it, I'm not sure if he mentally had what was needed... also I still think Sherman was unfair with them... Carroll would get 3 to 5 PI calls against him and get pulled then Thomas would go in until he got 1 PI and then he got pulled for Carroll and back and forth they went.

~ 2008 Draft in the 2nd round
I was right about Donnie Avery, Brandon Flowers, Nelson (and the Packers picking him) Forte' (and the Bears picking him) but the rest I got wrong), Jordon Dizon.

But I was wrong about most of the rest as far as they would be good or not...
America's team Of the people by the people for the people Packer People
UserPostedImage
~ madeby ~ pack93z ~
Offline wpr  
#14 Posted : Sunday, October 21, 2012 6:30:06 AM(UTC)
wpr

United States

Originally Posted by: beast Go to Quoted Post
~ Thinking it was kind of cool that Packers head coach and GM would be the same guy.

~ Thinking it was no huge deal that Mike Holmgren was leaving, I thought it was sour apples and would be fine if he left

~ QB/WR Matt Jones might be the best QB option for the Packers at the time. (Was thinking he might be able to play WR until Favre retired and then maybe stay at WR or switch to QB if he had been practicing it in the offseasons)

~ Getting excited about CB Joey Thomas (the guy drafted the Packers drafted after Ahmad Carroll) I never liked the Carroll pick but I thought Thomas had the physical talent to be a top CB, but looking back on it, I'm not sure if he mentally had what was needed... also I still think Sherman was unfair with them... Carroll would get 3 to 5 PI calls against him and get pulled then Thomas would go in until he got 1 PI and then he got pulled for Carroll and back and forth they went.

not me. I hated the idea of a GM/HC combo. I thought the NFL had become to complicated to allow one man to so it all even with great assistants. I want a HC pouring over the plays both ours and the next opponent tearing them apart looking for the weaknesses and the strengths of both and devising ways to give us a victory. I want the GM scouring the talent pool and planning who the team should pick up next. Looking at the payroll and trying to figure out a way to keep the quality players that we already have from leaving. I know the assistants do some of this but I want these two guys up to their ears in the process as well. Don't let someone else be the one who is responsible. They should be.

I was sorry to see Holmgren leave but once again I didn't want him to stay if he wanted more control. Just because someone is a good HC doesn't make them a great GM. I had enough on the job training with other people in the front office I didn't want more.

Never thought much of Matt Jones one way or the other. Or Joey Thomas for that matter. So my real failing would have been not knowing enough about them to have an opinion as to their abilities.
UserPostedImage
Offline The_Green_Ninja  
#15 Posted : Sunday, October 21, 2012 6:45:59 AM(UTC)
The_Green_Ninja

Applause Given: 22
Applause Received: 30

1. Having Aaron Rodgers start over Brett Favre was the wrong move.
2. Hiring Mike McCarthy was the wrong move.
3. Trading up for Clay Matthews wasn't worth it.
4. Freeze would be a suitable punter replacement.
5. The Packers would 100% beat the Cowboys in 2007. (I put a bet on that shit!)
UserPostedImage
Rss Feed