Welcome to your Green Bay Packers Online Community!

Since 2006, PackersHome has been providing a unique experience for fans.
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
2 Pages12>
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline nerdmann  
#1 Posted : Sunday, October 21, 2012 7:27:25 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Applause Given: 2,481
Applause Received: 622

JSO

Quote:
"With a 58-yarder, you have to hit it pretty much just right."

They shouldn't do that to him. Just throw a freakin hail mary.

Lowering his % makes him look like an asshole. Mike McCarthy and Arodge are such stat freaks that it arguably detracts from on field performance. Yet when it comes to the kicker, they'll hang him out there to dry every time.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Sponsor
Offline wpr  
#2 Posted : Sunday, October 21, 2012 7:34:30 PM(UTC)
wpr

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 2,884
Applause Received: 1,395

58 is a long long way. I don't mind then taking the shot like that when they have the lead. It was inside so there was no wind.
"You don't hurt 'em if you don't hit 'em." Chesty Puller

UserPostedImage

Online doddpower  
#3 Posted : Sunday, October 21, 2012 7:52:56 PM(UTC)
DoddPower

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2011

United States

Applause Given: 1,955
Applause Received: 468

It's fine they tried it, but I had absolutely no confidence that he would make it. Crosby just doesn't seem that clutch to me. I'd almost rather a guy with a weaker leg and better accuracy, honestly. Crosby is good, but let's not forget he's also getting paid really well. Probably too much, honestly.
Offline Rios39  
#4 Posted : Sunday, October 21, 2012 7:53:16 PM(UTC)
Rios39

Applause Given: 1
Applause Received: 30

Thing is when he kicks from 35-40-45 he usually has a lot of leg to get it from 50 or 55 as long as it stays straight. I believe it's in the mind that he has to hit it harder and "just right" which makes him miss by 10 miles. If he'd just keep whatever mind set he has on the shorter ones he'd at least give himself a shot as his accuracy is usually good on those.
blank
thanks Post received 1 applause.
nerdmann on 10/21/2012(UTC)
Offline PackFanWithTwins  
#5 Posted : Sunday, October 21, 2012 8:12:47 PM(UTC)
PackFanWithTwins

Applause Given: 13
Applause Received: 357

It looks like Crosby, on the long kicks is getting to much of the ball, because they are knuckling terribly. While on the shorter kicks the ball comes off end over end nicely.
The world needs ditch diggers to Danny!!!
UserPostedImage
Offline RaiderPride  
#6 Posted : Sunday, October 21, 2012 8:15:33 PM(UTC)
RaiderPride

Applause Given: 103
Applause Received: 192

Ironic you should post this..

While watching the Raiders game today I saw Janakowski miss his first FG of the year. It was from 65 and it was about 4 yards short, but right in the middle of the pipes.

I then went to the stats to check out who else beside Janakowski was perfect in the first 6 weeks. That is when I looked up Crosby.

Crosby has hit 72.7% of his attempts which places him 31st in the NFL in FG success percentage if one would look at that stat.

HOWEVER...

He is hitting 100% of his kicks from under 49 yards He is 1 for 4 or hitting 25% of F.G. attempts over 50 yards
""People Will Probably Never Remember What You Said, And May Never Remember What You Did. However, People Will Always Remember How You Made Them Feel."
thanks Post received 4 applause.
zombieslayer on 10/21/2012(UTC), nerdmann on 10/21/2012(UTC), wpr on 10/22/2012(UTC), macbob on 10/22/2012(UTC)
Offline Porforis  
#7 Posted : Sunday, October 21, 2012 8:18:07 PM(UTC)
Porforis

United States

Applause Given: 168
Applause Received: 333

I've been noticing big penetration up the middle all year on field goals and XPs, maybe it's gotten into Crosby's head? On his final FG, someone got through but the kick was abnormally high, especially for a 48 yarder... Which likely prevented a block. And his failed attempt before that, I could have sworn someone got a fingertip on it... I didn't see contact but the ball seemed to come out more or less straight and took a sharp, wobbly turn like you'd see if someone got just a little piece of it.

Bottom line: Am I delusional, or do we have a real problem here? Not completely on subject, but if Crosby doesn't have confidence that he can take a low trajectory that's going to affect him negatively.
UserPostedImage
thanks Post received 1 applause.
nerdmann on 10/21/2012(UTC)
Offline Rios39  
#8 Posted : Sunday, October 21, 2012 8:22:47 PM(UTC)
Rios39

Applause Given: 1
Applause Received: 30

Originally Posted by: Porforis Go to Quoted Post
I've been noticing big penetration up the middle all year on field goals and XPs, maybe it's gotten into Crosby's head? On his final FG, someone got through but the kick was abnormally high, especially for a 48 yarder... Which likely prevented a block. And his failed attempt before that, I could have sworn someone got a fingertip on it... I didn't see contact but the ball seemed to come out more or less straight and took a sharp, wobbly turn like you'd see if someone got just a little piece of it.

Bottom line: Am I delusional, or do we have a real problem here? Not completely on subject, but if Crosby doesn't have confidence that he can take a low trajectory that's going to affect him negatively.

No I seen this too. In the Colts game miss I thought it was blocked at first cause they had intense pressure up the middle on it and it went way left. Part of me thinks if it wasn't blocked and he would have hit it straight, it would have been blocked.
blank
Offline zombieslayer  
#9 Posted : Sunday, October 21, 2012 8:45:14 PM(UTC)
zombieslayer

Applause Given: 778
Applause Received: 495

Originally Posted by: RaiderPride Go to Quoted Post
Ironic you should post this..

While watching the Raiders game today I saw Janakowski miss his first FG of the year. It was from 65 and it was about 4 yards short, but right in the middle of the pipes.

I then went to the stats to check out who else beside Janakowski was perfect in the first 6 weeks. That is when I looked up Crosby.

Crosby has hit 72.7% of his attempts which places him 31st in the NFL in FG success percentage if one would look at that stat.

HOWEVER...

He is hitting 100% of his kicks from under 49 yards He is 1 for 4 or hitting 25% of F.G. attempts over 50 yards

For the record, if you have to consistently rely on 50+ yard kicks, your team is doing something wrong.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage

(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)

2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. Ted Thompson Mike McCarthy Aaron Rodgers
thanks Post received 2 applause.
wpr on 10/22/2012(UTC), Pack93z on 10/23/2012(UTC)
Online doddpower  
#10 Posted : Sunday, October 21, 2012 9:24:58 PM(UTC)
DoddPower

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2011

United States

Applause Given: 1,955
Applause Received: 468

Originally Posted by: zombieslayer Go to Quoted Post
For the record, if you have to consistently rely on 50+ yard kicks, your team is doing something wrong.

It's not so much relying on them for the Packers, but it is a GREAT weapon to have. Unfortunately for the Packers, Crosby isn't much of a weapon in that regard, despite his leg strength. To be fair, not a lot of kickers are. The Packers certainly give him the opportunities to prove he can consistently be that weapon, though.
Offline Cheesey  
#11 Posted : Monday, October 22, 2012 9:30:44 AM(UTC)
Cheesey

Applause Given: 170
Applause Received: 371

The thing this year is.....he hasn't just been missing the long ones, he's been MISSSSSING them.
As soon as the ball goes up, you know it's missed. He has been hooking them so bad.
And it was indoors, and he should have made it. No wind, no way it should miss. And even if it did, it should come up a few yards short, not hooked so far to the left like he's been hitting them.
I think it's in his head.
UserPostedImage
Offline SINCITYCHEEZE  
#12 Posted : Monday, October 22, 2012 9:33:31 AM(UTC)
SINCITYCHEEZE

United States

Applause Given: 160
Applause Received: 110

Maybe Mason should just picture a bell hanging in between the goal posts,that way he'll never miss.;)
Wisconsin Born, Packer Bred
UserPostedImage
Offline PackFanWithTwins  
#13 Posted : Monday, October 22, 2012 11:13:35 AM(UTC)
PackFanWithTwins

Applause Given: 13
Applause Received: 357

Originally Posted by: Cheesey Go to Quoted Post
The thing this year is.....he hasn't just been missing the long ones, he's been MISSSSSING them.
As soon as the ball goes up, you know it's missed. He has been hooking them so bad.
And it was indoors, and he should have made it. No wind, no way it should miss. And even if it did, it should come up a few yards short, not hooked so far to the left like he's been hitting them.
I think it's in his head.

He has missed them right and left. And they haven't been hooked or pushed. they knuckled. I believe that happens when the ball is kicked just a fraction to high on the ball. so it isn't spinning backwards end over end as expected. Which is understandable because the ball has to be hit on a lower path.
The world needs ditch diggers to Danny!!!
UserPostedImage
Offline PackerTraxx  
#14 Posted : Tuesday, October 23, 2012 7:58:52 AM(UTC)
PackerTraxx

Applause Given: 18
Applause Received: 127

I don't mind the long field goal attempts as long as it doesn't negatively affect his confidence. As nerd said, it does seem like he is hung out to dry on many of those situations.
Why is Jerry Kramer not in the Hall of Fame?
Offline MontanaBob  
#15 Posted : Tuesday, October 23, 2012 12:42:17 PM(UTC)
MontanaBob

Applause Received: 56

I KNEW IT...I KNEW IT!!!!

I knew that sooner or later someone would bash the kicker. It's a yearly thing with every team in football. Teams can't move the ball so they rely on old thunderfoot to boot one of 50+ yards. That's why kickers have thick skins, are mostly deaf, and sit at the end of the bench watching the cheerleaders. I got lots of dates that way.

At 50 yards, (that's 150 feet), if a kick leaves the kickers foot off by 1 1/2 inches from dead center, every yard it travels it will be further off line. That equals 6 feet 3 inches off at the cross bar. Now figure in wind, the kickers natural hook, and there is not a whole lot of room for error. The uprights are 18 feet 3 inches wide, and believe me, they look a hell of a lot wider at 20 yards than at 50.

Plus, even in domes there is air movement. More than you would think. In Flagstaff AZ at the Walk Up Sky Dome where Northern Arizona plays, at 40 feet above the field the air currents are multi-directional and have been measured at about 3-6 mph. More even higher.

Zombieslayer hit it right on the head. If you have to rely on the kicker all the time from 50 + then something is wrong with the offense.
Anyone for a Weenie Roast?
Rss Feed