Welcome to your Green Bay Packers Online Community!

Since 2006, PackersHome has been providing a unique experience for fans.
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
5 Pages<12345>
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Rios39  
#31 Posted : Sunday, October 21, 2012 8:20:17 PM(UTC)
Rios39

Applause Given: 1
Applause Received: 30

The attempts are important but I'd like to average at least 3 yards a carry. We will need it when the weather gets cool, and on 3rd and short it can be a very tough down for d's if they know we can pound it in there.

Kuhn looked good but Green wasn't given the same holes. With only one padded practice it's really hard to get the running game up to par in this era. We also tried a few weird /fancy shotgun draws that went backwards.
blank
Offline nerdmann  
#32 Posted : Sunday, October 21, 2012 8:58:03 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Applause Given: 2,383
Applause Received: 600

Micheal Rodney's Twitter:

Quote:
Had a chance to watch Johnny White the other day. New RB has some skills. I wouldn't be shocked to see him get some carries down the road.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline Zero2Cool  
#33 Posted : Monday, October 22, 2012 5:58:10 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 1,870
Applause Received: 2,048

T.J. Lang wrote:
The good thing about today, even though we were kind of getting stuffed in the run game, we didn't just abandon it. That was good to see. Even when you're not being productive, as long as you keep pounding the rock a little bit, it still keeps them honest.
UserPostedImage
Offline zombieslayer  
#34 Posted : Monday, October 22, 2012 8:22:57 AM(UTC)
zombieslayer

Applause Given: 778
Applause Received: 495

What TJ Lang said. Yes, it's the carries that matter. The yards don't. We'll make up those yards through the air. We saw two straight games where we dominated the games and our running "sucked" but we had lots of carries.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage

(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)

2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. Ted Thompson Mike McCarthy Aaron Rodgers
Offline TheKanataThrilla  
#35 Posted : Monday, October 22, 2012 10:51:08 AM(UTC)
TheKanataThrilla

Canada

Applause Given: 126
Applause Received: 91

It still pisses me off that we can't run on 3rd and short.
"Stumbling from one disaster to another" Lost Together (Blue Rodeo)
thanks Post received 1 applause.
nerdmann on 10/22/2012(UTC)
Offline PackFanWithTwins  
#36 Posted : Monday, October 22, 2012 11:18:31 AM(UTC)
PackFanWithTwins

Applause Given: 11
Applause Received: 352

Originally Posted by: TheKanataThrilla Go to Quoted Post
It still pisses me off that we can't run on 3rd and short.

I can't say we can't run, we never even line up to try.

I can think of One attempt and it was a Rodgers sneak. And we have been in some 3rd and <1yard. We get 3rd and 1 and we go 5 wide. That is what pisses me off.
The world needs ditch diggers to Danny!!!
UserPostedImage
Offline nerdmann  
#37 Posted : Monday, October 22, 2012 11:45:55 AM(UTC)
nerdmann

Applause Given: 2,383
Applause Received: 600

Originally Posted by: PackFanWithTwins Go to Quoted Post
I can't say we can't run, we never even line up to try.

I can think of One attempt and it was a Rodgers sneak. And we have been in some 3rd and <1yard. We get 3rd and 1 and we go 5 wide. That is what pisses me off.

Occasionally we'll do that FB dive play with Kuhn.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline TheKanataThrilla  
#38 Posted : Monday, October 22, 2012 11:57:51 AM(UTC)
TheKanataThrilla

Canada

Applause Given: 126
Applause Received: 91

Originally Posted by: nerdmann Go to Quoted Post
Occasionally we'll do that FB dive play with Kuhn.

I really don't know why we don't even do that as a diversion to the pass? At least make them think we will run it.
"Stumbling from one disaster to another" Lost Together (Blue Rodeo)
Offline buckeyepackfan  
#39 Posted : Monday, October 22, 2012 12:43:16 PM(UTC)
buckeyepackfan

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2012Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2014

Applause Given: 277
Applause Received: 392

My My My, I'm just thinking to myself, wonder what Ryan Grant is thinking.
Probably, man I feel sorry for that kid, I put up 1200+ yds a yr. before I was injured and most wanted me gone, this kid has no chance. Oh well better him than me.

I'm gonns reference Barry Sanders here, not that Alex Green will ever be close to him.

I remember The Packers charting Barry's runs, some of you might also.
Looked something like this...2uds, 1yd, 4yds, 3yds. 6yds, -3yds, 8yds,3yds, 85 yd TD run.
Was always The Packers goal to keep Barry from hitting that one big run. Most of the time they failed, and he usually had more than 1 of those big runs.

The point is, and it has been stated many times in this thread, in today's game, today's Packers, need a RB who can in this order, pass block, catch passes out of the backfield, hold onto the ball when given his chances, get what positive yds you can when called on.

Green already has shown he can make things happen when he gets into open space, but that's not gonna happen a lot. As long as he gives The Packers the points stated above, he will be fine. Oh what a great feeling it will be when he does break out and run for daylight every once in awhile.

Enjoy the ride – It kicks and just keeps on kickin’.
thanks Post received 2 applause.
zombieslayer on 10/22/2012(UTC), DakotaT on 10/22/2012(UTC)
Offline Yerko  
#40 Posted : Monday, October 22, 2012 2:11:05 PM(UTC)
Yerko

Applause Given: 141
Applause Received: 234

He opened up the passing game and that is all we should really care about. His measly ypc backed off the pass rush...
UserPostedImage
Offline macbob  
#41 Posted : Monday, October 22, 2012 3:16:36 PM(UTC)
macbob

Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Silver: 2012

Applause Given: 264
Applause Received: 227

I agree that Green is good enough. Give him more opportunity and he'll get better.

Disagree with Zombie that yards don't matter. They do matter--if everytime you ran the ball the play went for a touchdown you'd attract a LOT of attention to your running game. If everytime you run it goes for -10, not so much.

So, production in the running game has SOME impact on attracting the D's attention away from your passing game--the better the production the more distracting.

What production do you need to gain to get the D's attention? I'm not sure, and I'm not even sure how you'd come up with the stats to support a minimum yards per carry.

My expectation is that it would vary based on the situation during the game--if you're winning by 20 the D may be paying more attention to the run because they expect you to run more. If you're down by 20 then it will take a LOT more production from the running game to distract the D from your passing game.

In any event, Green kept the D honest this week, even with the low yards-per-carry.

Edited by user Thursday, October 25, 2012 2:08:50 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

UserPostedImage
Online wpr  
#42 Posted : Monday, October 22, 2012 6:08:54 PM(UTC)
wpr

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 2,844
Applause Received: 1,370

Originally Posted by: macbob Go to Quoted Post

What production do you need to gain to get the D's attention? I'm not sure, and I'm not even sure how you'd come up with the stats to support a minimum yards per carry.

I agree the score and time left int he game will matter but in general I would say it is somewhere between 1.8 and 3.0 avg.

Code:
HOU 	22 	65 	3.0
STL 	20 	35 	1.8 
"You don't hurt 'em if you don't hit 'em." Chesty Puller

UserPostedImage

Offline zombieslayer  
#43 Posted : Monday, October 22, 2012 8:44:39 PM(UTC)
zombieslayer

Applause Given: 778
Applause Received: 495

Originally Posted by: macbob Go to Quoted Post
I agree that Green is good enough. Give him more opportunity and he'll get better.

Disagree with Zombie that yards don't matter. They do matter--if everytime you ran the ball the play went for a touchdown you'd attract a LOT of attention to your running game. If everytime you run it goes for -10, not so much.

So, production in the running game has SOME impact on attracting the D's attention away from your passing game--the better the production the more distracting.

My expectation is that it would vary based on the situation during the game--if you're winning by 20 the D may be paying more attention to the run because they expect you to run more. If you're down by 20 then it will take a LOT more production from the running game to distract the D from your passing game.

In any event, Green kept the D honest this week, even with the low runs-per-carry.

Wait. Now I'm not getting what you're saying.

You're saying that Green kept the D honest this week, even with the low runs-per-carry. That, we agree on.

But you're saying I'm wrong about the yards not mattering. How much worse can you get than 35 yards on 20 carries? Was there any RB in the NFL in the 2012 season that got such crappy production on 20 carries? Anyone? Beuller?

If anything, THAT just proved my point. The yards don't matter. 35 yards on 20 carries is downright awful. Which is great from my perspective, because we got our carries, and with such crappy production, Green can't go to Ted Thompson with a straight face and say "Hey Uncle Ted, I want $1 million a year or else I'll sign with the Buffalo Bills." The usually stone faced Uncle Ted will wet himself laughing.

And this is exactly the scenario The Zombieslayer wants - a crappy RB who can run the ball 20+ times a game and doesn't fumble. Bonus if he's a good blocker. Secondary bonus if he's a good receiver.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage

(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)

2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. Ted Thompson Mike McCarthy Aaron Rodgers
Offline RaiderPride  
#44 Posted : Monday, October 22, 2012 9:49:08 PM(UTC)
RaiderPride

Applause Given: 101
Applause Received: 190

Originally Posted by: buckeyepackfan Go to Quoted Post
I'm just thinking to myself, wonder what Ryan Grant is thinking.
Probably, man I feel sorry for that kid, I put up 1200+ yds a yr. before I was injured and most wanted me gone, this kid has no chance. Oh well better him than me.

Perhaps... But if Ryan Grant is honest to himself, he is most likely thinking...

Thank GOD the Packers pulled me out of a failed football career, by plucking me out of a practice squad, and giving me an opportunity. An opportunity to step into a position that 12 other practice squad running backs would have produced the numbers as I did. Thank God I had the opportunity to be over paid by screwing the Packers and holding them hostage due to the turmoil the team was in during my contract negotiations.

""People Will Probably Never Remember What You Said, And May Never Remember What You Did. However, People Will Always Remember How You Made Them Feel."
thanks Post received 1 applause.
wpr on 10/23/2012(UTC)
Offline Gaycandybacon  
#45 Posted : Monday, October 22, 2012 10:01:29 PM(UTC)
Gaycandybacon

United States

Applause Given: 145
Applause Received: 178

I just don't know what peoples expectations are anymore... Ecspecially expectations for a passing team. People should realise our short passing game is our running game. Dumpoffs, Running back screens, option to run or throw a bubble screen etc. etc. They all help us move the chains. Kuhn, Cobb, and Green all excell at this. We dominated the TOP with these types of things sunday. Some of you guys should know yards don't tell the whole story. Running for big yards is overrated.

Would you rather have Adrain Peterson or Aaron Rodgers win you games? Choose wisely boys.
thanks Post received 3 applause.
RaiderPride on 10/22/2012(UTC), wpr on 10/23/2012(UTC), zombieslayer on 10/23/2012(UTC)
Rss Feed