Join Our Green Bay Packers Interactive Community!

We have been providing fans with the best source of Packers information since 2006!
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline nerdmann  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, October 23, 2012 10:22:32 AM(UTC)
nerdmann

Applause Given: 2,506
Applause Received: 628

PFT

Quote:
Grant was signed about a month ago after spending the whole offseason looking for a job after leaving the Packers. Shanahan’s reputation for switching backs and injuries to Roy Helu and Evan Royster seemed to make Washington a good place for Grant, but Morris’ play left little chances for Grant to play and he leaves Washington with just one carry for five yards to show for his time in D.C.

If Ted doesn't give him a call, we know it's personal.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Sponsor
Offline Porforis  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, October 23, 2012 10:29:17 AM(UTC)
Porforis

United States

Applause Given: 169
Applause Received: 333

Originally Posted by: nerdmann Go to Quoted Post
PFT

Or that it's not worth the money and roster space in Ted's opinion, especially if we'll get Benson back for the playoffs and we're seeing enough from Alex Green and Starks to get us to the playoffs.
UserPostedImage
Offline Zero2Cool  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, October 23, 2012 10:32:31 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 1,900
Applause Received: 2,096

I'm available too, should we believe it's personal if he doesn't give me a call? Or perhaps the scouting on me shows that I'm past my prime and not worth the NFL Veteran minimum salary? Nah, lets just say its PERSONAL!

/me waits for someone to tap Ryan Grants call log to confirm said vendetta!
UserPostedImage
Offline nerdmann  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, October 23, 2012 11:11:07 AM(UTC)
nerdmann

Originally Posted by: Porforis Go to Quoted Post
Or that it's not worth the money and roster space in Ted's opinion, especially if we'll get Benson back for the playoffs and we're seeing enough from Alex Green and Starks to get us to the playoffs.

We lost Benson AND Saine.

Maybe Johnny White is better than Grant.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline Porforis  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, October 23, 2012 11:27:28 AM(UTC)
Porforis

United States

We lost Benson AND Saine.

Maybe Johnny White is better than Grant.

I still don't see how we can't go with Green, Starks, with some Kuhn and Cobb mixed in as long as they don't get dinged up. Green seems to be handling the load well, he's not an awesome back but he's adequate. I'm not sure it's worth changing the formula with our offense kicking into high gear. If we sputter against the Jags on the ground? Okay, maybe then I'll be worried. But last week our O line (which oftentimes was being pushed back) was going against one of the better rush Ds in the league, as with the week before. Just because there's someone out there that's better than someone you have now, doesn't mean you should grab him.
UserPostedImage
Offline nerdmann  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, October 23, 2012 11:40:34 AM(UTC)
nerdmann

Originally Posted by: Porforis Go to Quoted Post
I still don't see how we can't go with Green, Starks, with some Kuhn and Cobb mixed in as long as they don't get dinged up. Green seems to be handling the load well, he's not an awesome back but he's adequate. I'm not sure it's worth changing the formula with our offense kicking into high gear. If we sputter against the Jags on the ground? Okay, maybe then I'll be worried. But last week our O line (which oftentimes was being pushed back) was going against one of the better rush Ds in the league, as with the week before. Just because there's someone out there that's better than someone you have now, doesn't mean you should grab him.

Who do you think knows the offense better, Johnny White or Ryan Grant?
Offline Porforis  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, October 23, 2012 11:56:08 AM(UTC)
Porforis

United States

Who do you think knows the offense better, Johnny White or Ryan Grant?

The point that I'm trying to make is that it may not be worth grabbing ANYONE.
UserPostedImage
Offline Pack93z  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, October 23, 2012 12:12:37 PM(UTC)
Pack93z

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Bronze: 2012

United States

Applause Given: 388
Applause Received: 1,048

So how do we make room for Grant? IR whom? Cut Whom?

I like Grant.. I really do, I think he got a bad rap previously for his running style, toughness, hitting the whole. Etc.

Examples are littered.. like this one.

Grant is the starter, because they want to give props to him as a veteran. Starks has surpassed him. Green and Saine are better than Grant too, imo. They just haven't gotten their shots yet. Not saying that because I have a mancrush. Only because it's true.

Source...

Big Grin Yeah.. I had to selectively pull a quote from a thread.

Green has one thing that Grant doesn't have anymore.. the ability to hit the home run. If we keep pounding it on the ground to keep balance, and Green keeps running strong. We need just spot carries that Starks can provide. Maybe White as well. But if Benson comes back, Grant and probably White/Starks are unneeded.. why add another body to that mix in Grant.

Green ran well against the Texans.. struggled this past week. But was the really on Green or the line.

Something we all lack, myself being probably the worst... patience.
I think when there's enough will and aggression, there's no shortage of talent either.

UserPostedImage
Offline nerdmann  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, October 23, 2012 12:27:00 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Originally Posted by: Pack93z Go to Quoted Post
So how do we make room for Grant? IR whom? Cut Whom?

I like Grant.. I really do, I think he got a bad rap previously for his running style, toughness, hitting the whole. Etc.

Examples are littered.. like this one.

Big Grin Yeah.. I had to selectively pull a quote from a thread.

Green has one thing that Grant doesn't have anymore.. the ability to hit the home run. If we keep pounding it on the ground to keep balance, and Green keeps running strong. We need just spot carries that Starks can provide. Maybe White as well. But if Benson comes back, Grant and probably White/Starks are unneeded.. why add another body to that mix in Grant.

Green ran well against the Texans.. struggled this past week. But was the really on Green or the line.

Something we all lack, myself being probably the worst... patience.

Oh, I've caught all kinds of sh*t for criticizing Grant. I'm not even sure Ted SHOULD make him an offer. I don't like how Grant and his agent piled on the Favre controversy to get that last contract.

And I DO think that's why he's not a Packer right now.

I'm just saying, I think it's personal.

Should we give him a call? Maybe. He could get it done better than Johnny White, IMO. Although there again, Packer Update tweeted recently that according to his film study, White looks like he's got some skills, and it wouldn't surprise him to see White get some carries down the stretch.
Offline Pack93z  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, October 23, 2012 12:42:47 PM(UTC)
Pack93z

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Bronze: 2012

United States

Applause Given: 388
Applause Received: 1,048

LOL.. just busting thy nuts.

White has another value that Grant doesn't... special teams help.
I think when there's enough will and aggression, there's no shortage of talent either.

UserPostedImage
thanks Post received 1 applause.
nerdmann on 10/23/2012(UTC)
Offline play2win  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, October 23, 2012 1:43:08 PM(UTC)
play2win

United States

Applause Given: 1,076
Applause Received: 725

Without better line play, it won't matter who is back there. These guys have to do a better job of run blocking. Maybe a bigger dose of that will help. I hope McCarthy dials in a very liberal amount of runs these next 4-6 weeks, to get his OL used to pounding the crap out of our opponents.

I wouldn't mind Grant coming in if they deemed it necessary, but I think they may just try to stick with what they have got. As Pack93z said, who do we cut? I'm not seeing it. I would imagine McCarthy will place more emphasis on the run all the way through the bye and into DET. That ought to get his guys on the right track. In the process, Starks should see some reps, and who knows? Maybe White too.
Offline Wade  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, October 23, 2012 2:25:41 PM(UTC)
Wade

Applause Given: 670
Applause Received: 676

Well, "Johnny White" sounds like he could be the start of a great new whisky...there's JW Red (ho hum), JW Black (pretty good), JW Blue (who knows? Too expensive for a blended). But then JW White? Hmm.
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
Offline zombieslayer  
#13 Posted : Tuesday, October 23, 2012 2:26:30 PM(UTC)
zombieslayer

Applause Given: 778
Applause Received: 495

PFT

I don't think it's personal. I think Grant's injury is worse than Grant would like us to believe. In other words, he's lost a step.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage

(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)

2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. Ted Thompson Mike McCarthy Aaron Rodgers
Offline zombieslayer  
#14 Posted : Tuesday, October 23, 2012 2:27:21 PM(UTC)
zombieslayer

Applause Given: 778
Applause Received: 495

Originally Posted by: Wade Go to Quoted Post
Well, "Johnny White" sounds like he could be the start of a great new whisky...there's JW Red (ho hum), JW Black (pretty good), JW Blue (who knows? Too expensive for a blended). But then JW White? Hmm.

JW Platinum is pretty dang good. No, you haven't tried it yet because it's not available in the States yet.

I liked it a lot.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage

(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)

2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. Ted Thompson Mike McCarthy Aaron Rodgers
Offline play2win  
#15 Posted : Tuesday, October 23, 2012 2:37:36 PM(UTC)
play2win

United States

Applause Given: 1,076
Applause Received: 725

I hope the kid turns out to be "White Lightning" for the Packers.