Welcome to your Green Bay Packers Online Community!

Since 2006, PackersHome has been providing a unique experience for fans.
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
5 Pages«<345
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline zombieslayer  
#61 Posted : Tuesday, October 23, 2012 4:37:23 PM(UTC)
zombieslayer

Applause Given: 778
Applause Received: 495

Originally Posted by: doddpower Go to Quoted Post
A team can still do power runs from a shotgun formation. Personally, I'd like to see more of those. It'd be nice to see Lang and/or Sitton pulling and mauling defensive players.

Exactly.

Mike McCarthy calls all those shotgun plays for a reason.

Let's see what's going on here. Last 2 games, our O put up 72 points. Must be doing something right. And that's with our lead RB getting a whopping 100 yards on 42 carries.

(For the record, the Rams were undefeated at home when we played them and the Texans were undefeated, period, when we played them).
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage

(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)

2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. Ted Thompson Mike McCarthy Aaron Rodgers
Offline Wade  
#62 Posted : Tuesday, October 23, 2012 4:41:47 PM(UTC)
Wade

Applause Given: 645
Applause Received: 657

I still think the shotgun-play/non-shotgun play ratio is too large.
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
thanks Post received 1 applause.
Gaycandybacon on 10/23/2012(UTC)
Offline all_about_da_packers  
#63 Posted : Tuesday, October 23, 2012 7:27:46 PM(UTC)
all_about_da_packers

Applause Given: 8
Applause Received: 66

I will say this for McCarthy: bravo.

The clinic your QB was putting on Sunday, and you still had the dedication to run that ball 20 times? Bravo.

I'm actually being serious... with the way Aaron was playing, I would not have blamed McCarthy for having Aaron drop back to throw every snap.

I'm actually shocked, and at a loss for words, to explain why he had the dedication to run so many times against the Rams when his QB looked like he was a man amongst children, against the Rams D, every time dropping back, but when we desperately needed to run the ball to give him some breathing room to operate prior (vs. Colts) McCarthy insisted on a passing mindset.

Frankly, I would not dismiss that the O-line and Alex Green got together to agree to sabotage the run game to at least make the Rams game slightly more interesting because Aaron Rodgers was downright amazing. He was playing the game as well as I have ever seen him play - and that includes the 2010 Falcons game where he was exceptional.
The NFL: Where Greg Jennings Happens.
Offline Gaycandybacon  
#64 Posted : Tuesday, October 23, 2012 8:08:24 PM(UTC)
Gaycandybacon

United States

Applause Given: 145
Applause Received: 178

Even Aaron said it's all about the carries on his radio show today. Can't go wrong with the QB himself saying that.
Offline PackFanWithTwins  
#65 Posted : Tuesday, October 23, 2012 8:24:37 PM(UTC)
PackFanWithTwins

Applause Given: 11
Applause Received: 352

Originally Posted by: doddpower Go to Quoted Post
A team can still do power runs from a shotgun formation. Personally, I'd like to see more of those. It'd be nice to see Lang and/or Sitton pulling and mauling defensive players.

Power doesn't give more options during the run though. It is just different way of blocking.

The problem/limitation of shotgun runs is it limits the option for the back, it limits the run to 1/2 the field instead of almost all of it. It makes the RB run even more parallel to the LOS. Which all but eliminates the chance of cutting back out the backside of the run.

A back moving toward the LOS to get the handoff, has visibility of the entire field and can choose either to go where the run was designed, or cut it left or right depending on blocking.

The world needs ditch diggers to Danny!!!
UserPostedImage
Offline wpr  
#66 Posted : Wednesday, October 24, 2012 5:29:23 AM(UTC)
wpr

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 2,844
Applause Received: 1,370

Originally Posted by: all_about_da_packers Go to Quoted Post

I'm actually being serious... with the way Aaron was playing, I would not have blamed McCarthy for having Aaron drop back to throw every snap.

no way. Mike tried that in Seattle. Aaron Rodgers got sacked 1 billion times. Gotta run some too.
"You don't hurt 'em if you don't hit 'em." Chesty Puller

UserPostedImage

thanks Post received 3 applause.
Zero2Cool on 10/24/2012(UTC), yooperfan on 10/24/2012(UTC), Pack93z on 10/24/2012(UTC)
Offline nyrpack  
#67 Posted : Wednesday, October 24, 2012 2:23:17 PM(UTC)
nyrpack

Applause Given: 3
Applause Received: 44

i think green is a 3rd down kind of guy, he is not the same guy after his bad injury last season, id rather have brandon jackson back !!
jimmy b.
Offline zombieslayer  
#68 Posted : Wednesday, October 24, 2012 2:43:35 PM(UTC)
zombieslayer

Applause Given: 778
Applause Received: 495

Originally Posted by: nyrpack Go to Quoted Post
i think green is a 3rd down kind of guy, he is not the same guy after his bad injury last season, id rather have brandon jackson back !!

I liked B-Jack too, but he hasn't had a carry since '10. That's a major red flag there.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage

(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)

2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. Ted Thompson Mike McCarthy Aaron Rodgers
Offline macbob  
#69 Posted : Thursday, October 25, 2012 2:16:38 PM(UTC)
macbob

Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Silver: 2012

Applause Given: 264
Applause Received: 227

Originally Posted by: zombieslayer Go to Quoted Post
Wait. Now I'm not getting what you're saying.

You're saying that Green kept the D honest this week, even with the low runs-per-carry. That, we agree on.

But you're saying I'm wrong about the yards not mattering. How much worse can you get than 35 yards on 20 carries? Was there any RB in the NFL in the 2012 season that got such crappy production on 20 carries? Anyone? Beuller?

Yards per carry weren't as important in last Sunday's game. In another game, in another situation, against another D will 1.5 yds per carry be enough? I'm not as confident on that as you seem to be.

I don't know what the sweet spot is, but on average my expectation the absolute rock-bottom minimum long-term (not just one game) is 3 yds per carry. I'm making that estimate based on the careers of RBs--there's been a few who have had long careers (John Riggins) with YPC that low, but not many.

The closer you get to 4 yds per carry the better, in my opinion. Ideally, I'd shoot for low 4s, run 20-25 times in a game to get into the 80-100 yd rushing range. You can get by with less than that, but you're putting a lot more pressure on your passing game if you do.
UserPostedImage
Rss Feed