Welcome to your Green Bay Packers Online Community!

Since 2006, PackersHome has been providing a unique experience for fans.
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
4 Pages123>»
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Zero2Cool  
#1 Posted : Friday, October 26, 2012 9:59:31 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 1,833
Applause Received: 1,990

Pretty surreal feeling, first time in 9 plus years I don't have a job to prepare for Monday. The position created that I had was eliminated today.

UserPostedImage
Click here and find the LATEST Packers News!
Sponsor
Offline Pack93z  
#2 Posted : Friday, October 26, 2012 10:11:48 AM(UTC)
Pack93z

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Bronze: 2012

United States

Applause Given: 380
Applause Received: 1,020

That sucks. At least your back in WI.

Been there, it is a weird feeling, but you will rebound. Maybe time to venture on your own.
I think when there's enough will and aggression, there's no shortage of talent either.

UserPostedImage
Offline wpr  
#3 Posted : Friday, October 26, 2012 11:01:00 AM(UTC)
wpr

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 2,738
Applause Received: 1,311

wow. Sorry to hear this. you really stuck your neck out a long way for them.

hope you got at least 2 weeks from them.
"You don't hurt 'em if you don't hit 'em." Chesty Puller

UserPostedImage

Offline Porforis  
#4 Posted : Friday, October 26, 2012 11:29:48 AM(UTC)
Porforis

United States

Applause Given: 168
Applause Received: 333

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool Go to Quoted Post
Pretty surreal feeling, first time in 9 plus years I don't have a job to prepare for Monday. The position created that I had was eliminated today.

Wow, terribly sorry to hear that. You do NOT live in the Milwaukee area, correct?
UserPostedImage
Offline Zero2Cool  
#5 Posted : Friday, October 26, 2012 11:30:41 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 1,833
Applause Received: 1,990

I got 8 weeks severance, plus they are paying out my vacation not used. I'm not bitter or anything, they gave me a lot of opportunities. I mean I got see a good portion of the country because of that job.

I'm excited to see what jobs are out there for me and excited to be able to program again.

UserPostedImage
Click here and find the LATEST Packers News!
Offline zombieslayer  
#6 Posted : Friday, October 26, 2012 12:24:56 PM(UTC)
zombieslayer

Applause Given: 778
Applause Received: 495

Good luck, amigo.

I got laid off back in July. Let me just tell you that that was one of the highlights of the year, looking back. Hope it works out for you.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage

(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)

2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. Ted Thompson Mike McCarthy Aaron Rodgers
Offline GermanGilbert  
#7 Posted : Friday, October 26, 2012 12:25:56 PM(UTC)
GermanGilbert

Applause Given: 30
Applause Received: 80

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool Go to Quoted Post

Wow, that really sucks :( Hope you find a really good opportunity very soon. Good luck, Kev.

blank
Offline SINCITYCHEEZE  
#8 Posted : Friday, October 26, 2012 12:42:10 PM(UTC)
SINCITYCHEEZE

United States

Applause Given: 156
Applause Received: 109

Right there with you Zero. Got fired myself 3 weeks ago Tues. It sucks. Best of luck to you.
Wisconsin Born, Packer Bred
UserPostedImage
Offline Cheesey  
#9 Posted : Friday, October 26, 2012 2:22:00 PM(UTC)
Cheesey

Applause Given: 159
Applause Received: 326

Maybe you should email Obama and asked him what the heck is going on.
(I'm just kidding!)
Kevin......i don't know if i could have such a good attitude if that happened to me like it did to you. My hat goes off to you.

Unfortunately, that's the way companies are today. They are soulless ghouls who don't care about the workers, which are the ones that make all the money for the company.
And they wonder why people don't want to give their all to a job.

It's because of just this treatment.
I feel i know you, and you are the kind of conscientious (sp) worker i'd want to have work for me. You deserved better treatment then that.
As you know, my wife gave 17 years and was notified by FEDEX that they were closing her plant. Not even a personal word.

You will bounce back. You have a "never give up" spirit.
UserPostedImage
Offline GermanGilbert  
#10 Posted : Friday, October 26, 2012 3:23:43 PM(UTC)
GermanGilbert

Originally Posted by: Cheesey Go to Quoted Post
Unfortunately, that's the way companies are today. They are soulless ghouls who don't care about the workers, which are the ones that make all the money for the company.
And they wonder why people don't want to give their all to a job.

I wouldn't say that's based on the company, but more based on the country. I'm working for a US company now for more than 6 years and you cannot believe how different they treat associates in the US and over here. Just have a look how different the guys are treated that I daily work with:

US offices: They fire you, you leave your office within one day and get nothing.
Munich office: They cannot fire you just to fire you, the workers' council would vote against that. They can offer you a cancellation agreement which gives you at least 3 months salaries without work and additionally at least 1 month salary per year you worked for the company as compensation.

US offices: 15 days of vacation in the 1st year, escalating to maybe 25 if you're with a company more than 10 years.
Munich office: 30 days of vacation right from the beginning, special days of vacation for movement, marriage, funerals.

US offices: When someone is sick, he has to spend a day of vacation for every day he's sick. If you're out of vacation days, it's unpaid leave.
Munich office: When you'sick, you're sick. Period. Even if you're sick for 3 months, you'll get paid for every single day. Hell, they even give you 15 paid days a year when your kid is sick and you stay at home because of that.

Additionally, but more of a governmental thing, maternity leave:
US offices: You'll kind of directly go from the office to the delivery room and be back full time after 3 months.
Munich office: 6 weeks before the planned birth date you're not allowed to work anymore. You get the full salary this 6 weeks and 8 weeks after birth. After that you can stay at home for an additional 12 months and get somewhat like 70% of your salary. I'm not sure about the exact % as I don't have kids ;)

I don't wanna praise my country or hijack Z2C's thread, not at all, I just want to make you aware of the shit that's going on over there. Just look:

I work for the EXACT SAME company that my colleagues work, I do the SAME FUCKING job that my colleagues do and I'm treated like a normal person and they're treated like shit just because we're sitting in different offices. Maybe you feel like my US colleagues are treated like normal persons and the german guys are treated like the kings on earth, but I feel like it's more of my first impression. That's just insane for me!

blank
thanks Post received 3 applause.
zombieslayer on 10/26/2012(UTC), Wade on 10/26/2012(UTC), yooperfan on 10/27/2012(UTC)
Offline rabidgopher04  
#11 Posted : Friday, October 26, 2012 3:56:11 PM(UTC)
rabidgopher04

Applause Given: 109
Applause Received: 126

Originally Posted by: GermanGilbert Go to Quoted Post
I wouldn't say that's based on the company, but more based on the country. I'm working for a US company now for more than 6 years and you cannot believe how different they treat associates in the US and over here. Just have a look how different the guys are treated that I daily work with:

US offices: They fire you, you leave your office within one day and get nothing.
Munich office: They cannot fire you just to fire you, the workers' council would vote against that. They can offer you a cancellation agreement which gives you at least 3 months salaries without work and additionally at least 1 month salary per year you worked for the company as compensation.

US offices: 15 days of vacation in the 1st year, escalating to maybe 25 if you're with a company more than 10 years.
Munich office: 30 days of vacation right from the beginning, special days of vacation for movement, marriage, funerals.

US offices: When someone is sick, he has to spend a day of vacation for every day he's sick. If you're out of vacation days, it's unpaid leave.
Munich office: When you'sick, you're sick. Period. Even if you're sick for 3 months, you'll get paid for every single day. Hell, they even give you 15 paid days a year when your kid is sick and you stay at home because of that.

Additionally, but more of a governmental thing, maternity leave:
US offices: You'll kind of directly go from the office to the delivery room and be back full time after 3 months.
Munich office: 6 weeks before the planned birth date you're not allowed to work anymore. You get the full salary this 6 weeks and 8 weeks after birth. After that you can stay at home for an additional 12 months and get somewhat like 70% of your salary. I'm not sure about the exact % as I don't have kids ;)

I don't wanna praise my country or hijack Z2C's thread, not at all, I just want to make you aware of the shit that's going on over there. Just look:

I work for the EXACT SAME company that my colleagues work, I do the SAME FUCKING job that my colleagues do and I'm treated like a normal person and they're treated like shit just because we're sitting in different offices. Maybe you feel like my US colleagues are treated like normal persons and the german guys are treated like the kings on earth, but I feel like it's more of my first impression. That's just insane for me!

What your example illustrates are the differences in labor law between the U.S. and Germany. U.S. laws have a ways to go compared with other first world countries (with respect to leave time). It's quite disappointing.

What are your income tax rates over there?

Do you like bacon?
Offline zombieslayer  
#12 Posted : Friday, October 26, 2012 4:06:46 PM(UTC)
zombieslayer

Applause Given: 778
Applause Received: 495

Gilbert - One big difference. Germany loves Germans. America hates Americans.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage

(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)

2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. Ted Thompson Mike McCarthy Aaron Rodgers
Offline GermanGilbert  
#13 Posted : Friday, October 26, 2012 4:44:04 PM(UTC)
GermanGilbert

Originally Posted by: rabidgopher04 Go to Quoted Post
What your example illustrates are the differences in labor law between the U.S. and Germany. U.S. laws have a ways to go compared with other first world countries (with respect to leave time). It's quite disappointing.

Sad, but very true. I honestly don't know anything about the health care system Obama planned for the US, but there is a big proportion of people who just don't want that either. For me as a German I couldn't imagine to live without health care.

Originally Posted by: rabidgopher04 Go to Quoted Post
What are your income tax rates over there?

That depends on your salary. The lowest rate is 14%, the highest 48%. For a middle-class worker I'd say it's 38 to 45%. But that includes health insurance, social insurance and pension fund. So out of this money you get regular treatments at the doctor/hospital and your pension. And if you don't have a job, you get about $500 per month plus your rent plus additionally whatever you need to survive in your circumstances. So nobody has to live on the streets here if you don't want to.

zombieslayer wrote:

Gilbert - One big difference. Germany loves Germans. America hates Americans.

I'm not aware that America hates Americans, however, Germany does not only like Germans. The crisis in the European Union somewhat pays out for us for the moment. With an unemployment rate of more than 50% of guys under 25 there at the moment, a lot of well educated people from from countries with financial problems like Spain and Greece come to Germany to work, because they don't get a job in their countries. Good for us, my new greek colleague is just superb in his job.
blank
Offline DakotaT  
#14 Posted : Friday, October 26, 2012 7:16:36 PM(UTC)
DakotaT

Applause Given: 622
Applause Received: 1,296

Looks like I'm going to have a lot of beekeeper helpers next summer. Sorry to hear about all this guys. I lost my state job in January, and God was that a blessing, because I hated my bully boss and was not happy there anymore. Now I have three different careers going: I own a business, I work for an accounting firm during tax season, and I work as a laborer for power plant outages. There are plenty of jobs out there boys - sometimes you have to swallow your pride and take something less than what you were doing.

Thanks for sharing Zero. There's lots of love in this forum.
UserPostedImage
Offline wpr  
#15 Posted : Friday, October 26, 2012 7:24:56 PM(UTC)
wpr

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 2,738
Applause Received: 1,311

maybe Kevin can become a bee wrangler and milk those bees.
"You don't hurt 'em if you don't hit 'em." Chesty Puller

UserPostedImage

Rss Feed