Welcome to your Green Bay Packers Online Community!

Since 2006, PackersHome has been providing a unique experience for fans.
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
3 Pages123>
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Porforis  
#1 Posted : Monday, October 29, 2012 1:03:20 PM(UTC)
Porforis

United States

Applause Given: 168
Applause Received: 333

Ignoring hindsight, do you think the fake field goal resulting in a Masthay incompletion was a bad call? Obviously it was a poor pass and he looked to have a man open to the left close to the first down marker that he didn't see, but was the call itself a good or bad idea:

Context: Packers up 14-12 in the third quarter. Jacksonville has been moving the ball well in the first half, sputters on their first drive of the second half. The Packers have been ineffective on offense, and are at the Jacksonville 37 on fourth down with 6 to go. Do you let Crosby kick a long one to try to get points on the board, let Masthay punt it away, let the offense try to pick up the first, or move from field goal formation to having Masthay in the backfield, and let him try to throw for the first?

Personally, I'm a bit torn. If not for Crosby's recent difficulties, I'd say kick it. If the offense was in synch, I might even say go for it, but 6 yards is a bit steep. I personally would not make the call, but I'm not opposed to it. Unfortunately, the execution wasn't there and we turned the ball over. I do like that we are often unpredictable on special teams though, and would like to see more trickery at times on offense (fleaflicker, double reverse with Cobb, etc).
UserPostedImage
Sponsor
Offline zombieslayer  
#2 Posted : Monday, October 29, 2012 1:04:49 PM(UTC)
zombieslayer

Applause Given: 778
Applause Received: 495

Yay.

At worst, it keeps makes the blood pressure of the opposing ST coordinator go through the roof.

We're playing like the ol' Techmo Bowl. I love it.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage

(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)

2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. Ted Thompson Mike McCarthy Aaron Rodgers
Offline Pack93z  
#3 Posted : Monday, October 29, 2012 1:06:46 PM(UTC)
Pack93z

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Bronze: 2012

United States

Applause Given: 380
Applause Received: 1,021

I am alright with the fake.. but the play design.. not so much. Splitting Crosby wide.. wasn't a threat, just clogged that side of the field off. The other side.. was a deep route..

If your going to have him throw the ball.. give him an under that he may be able to complete.

But they were looking for a spark yesterday.. that to me is more troubling.. that we need to find a spark with 3 losses already and Superbowl aspirations.
I think when there's enough will and aggression, there's no shortage of talent either.

UserPostedImage
Offline nerdmann  
#4 Posted : Monday, October 29, 2012 1:16:06 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Applause Given: 2,294
Applause Received: 572

This is probably why they've been attempting all those long FGs lately. To set this play up.

It gives other coords something to study on film, and think about during games.

I didn't mind it. Execution wasn't the best, but that's a different matter altogether.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline PackFanWithTwins  
#5 Posted : Monday, October 29, 2012 2:14:32 PM(UTC)
PackFanWithTwins

Applause Given: 11
Applause Received: 352

A fake at that part of the field, when Crosby has been having trouble I don't disagree with. The actualy play design I think was terrible. Shifting out just telegraphed it. Defense just needed to play the pass a punt wouldn't hurt them.

Only thing positive about the play, was the jags might not have known that he was a lefty.

But overall a terrible play design.
The world needs ditch diggers to Danny!!!
UserPostedImage
Offline nerdmann  
#6 Posted : Monday, October 29, 2012 2:25:18 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Applause Given: 2,294
Applause Received: 572

Originally Posted by: PackFanWithTwins Go to Quoted Post
A fake at that part of the field, when Crosby has been having trouble I don't disagree with. The actualy play design I think was terrible. Shifting out just telegraphed it. Defense just needed to play the pass a punt wouldn't hurt them.

Only thing positive about the play, was the jags might not have known that he was a lefty.

That was definitely part of the surprise.

Bubba Franks and Ahman Green were both lefties.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline Scythe  
#7 Posted : Monday, October 29, 2012 2:36:19 PM(UTC)
Scythe

Applause Given: 1
Applause Received: 2

It was an odd play, but I don't mind it. They ran a similar play a couple of years ago against the Vikings when Flynn was the holder. It would have worked too if Quarless hadn't tripped.
blank
thanks Post received 1 applause.
nerdmann on 10/29/2012(UTC)
Offline Porforis  
#8 Posted : Monday, October 29, 2012 3:46:39 PM(UTC)
Porforis

United States

Applause Given: 168
Applause Received: 333

Originally Posted by: PackFanWithTwins Go to Quoted Post

I don't know if it necessarily gave away that they were going to pass it - It fooled me AND the announcers, I thought he was going to punt it away. But it does definitely put the defense on high alert. The flip side with splitting people wide is that it gives Masthay more time. If people just bump the rushers and go into their routes, Masthay has 2, 3 seconds max. Moving your men out wide also moves rushers away from Masthay, in a perfect world this would mean that he'd have a chance to look at more than one, two guys before having to throw it or run.
UserPostedImage
Offline PackFanWithTwins  
#9 Posted : Monday, October 29, 2012 4:29:43 PM(UTC)
PackFanWithTwins

Applause Given: 11
Applause Received: 352

Originally Posted by: Porforis Go to Quoted Post
I don't know if it necessarily gave away that they were going to pass it - It fooled me AND the announcers, I thought he was going to punt it away. But it does definitely put the defense on high alert. The flip side with splitting people wide is that it gives Masthay more time. If people just bump the rushers and go into their routes, Masthay has 2, 3 seconds max. Moving your men out wide also moves rushers away from Masthay, in a perfect world this would mean that he'd have a chance to look at more than one, two guys before having to throw it or run.

But as a defense, are you really going to care if you guess wrong and they punt? What is the worst that is going to happen, you get the ball. Outside of Cunningham quick kicking on 3rd down, I can't recall a trick play where the best result is the other team getting the ball.
The world needs ditch diggers to Danny!!!
UserPostedImage
Offline GermanGilbert  
#10 Posted : Monday, October 29, 2012 5:10:07 PM(UTC)
GermanGilbert

Applause Given: 30
Applause Received: 80

I didn't really care about the fake, not at all, to be honest I really love the gutsy calls on special teams this season. That saved 7 yds, because I'm pretty sure Crosby would't have split the uprights from that distance based on the performance this season. However the final play call and its execution was horrible. Once they split out Crosby the play was obvious. I'd rather had run the fake out of the FG formation. That said, my call would have been "take a delay of game penalty and take an easier shot to nail them near their endzone."
blank
Offline StoicFire  
#11 Posted : Monday, October 29, 2012 6:23:56 PM(UTC)
StoicFire

Applause Given: 28
Applause Received: 49

Originally Posted by: GermanGilbert Go to Quoted Post
I didn't really care about the fake, not at all, to be honest I really love the gutsy calls on special teams this season. That saved 7 yds, because I'm pretty sure Crosby would't have split the uprights from that distance based on the performance this season. However the final play call and its execution was horrible. Once they split out Crosby the play was obvious. I'd rather had run the fake out of the FG formation. That said, my call would have been "take a delay of game penalty and take an easier shot to nail them near their endzone."

I've liked a lot of the special teams calls this year as well, but this one didn't feel right to me. I think given the field position, going for it instead of trusting Crosby to hit the long ball is a good call.

However I still have trouble with the idea of taking the reigning MVP of the league off the field and letting anyone else pass. I understand that it gives opposing special teams coaches something to plan for now, but if you're going to pick up 7 yards via the forward pass... I would SO much rather see Aaron throw it out of a normal offensive formation.

Oh, and also punting and pinning them deep would have been fine as well. I thought the defense was playing a great game, so turning the field position in our favor may have just been the right call.
"the Quarterback can run if he wants to, but with this rocket attached to your body... who would?" -Aaron Rodgers
Offline wpr  
#12 Posted : Monday, October 29, 2012 6:35:59 PM(UTC)
wpr

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 2,745
Applause Received: 1,312

I am a bit torn too. Execution was poor. I wouldn't have minded a pooch punt there. Put them down on the 5-10. I thought it was beyond Crosby's effective range as I didn't want a FG attempt. they certainly were struggling offensively so they needed to do something to get a score.

All in all A failed pass did not give them the ball in the same spot as a missed FG would have. I was glad for that.
"You don't hurt 'em if you don't hit 'em." Chesty Puller

UserPostedImage

Offline RaiderPride  
#13 Posted : Monday, October 29, 2012 9:44:21 PM(UTC)
RaiderPride

Applause Given: 97
Applause Received: 187

YAY... BIG YAY.

The Cardinal coaching staff will be watching yesterday's game film.

It is just one more thing the Cardinals have to prepare for and practice against in their short week going into next Sunday. Keep the Cards coaches, wondering, worrying and confused on what they need to focus on and prepare for in 6 days.

""People Will Probably Never Remember What You Said, And May Never Remember What You Did. However, People Will Always Remember How You Made Them Feel."
Offline gbguy20  
#14 Posted : Monday, October 29, 2012 11:07:50 PM(UTC)
gbguy20

Applause Given: 203
Applause Received: 280

Don't understand the yays. If you're going to go for it on 4th down, and you're going to make it fucking obvious that you are going to go for it, it better be rodgers throwing the football. absolutely terrible decision to even call the play, and having now seen that disaster of a play design the decision is 100x worse. disgusting.
call me Dan
Offline packerfanoutwest  
#15 Posted : Tuesday, October 30, 2012 4:28:24 AM(UTC)
packerfanoutwest

Applause Received: 16

my first post in a long time and it is a negative one.....I said WTF when they were lining up for the fake FG. A left handed FG kicker rolls to the left and then throws back to his right down field? Heck that's even tough for Rodgers at times. That was a bad play call as are most of Mike McCarthy play calls.
thanks Post received 1 applause.
Zero2Cool on 10/30/2012(UTC)
Rss Feed