You are not logged in. Join Free! | Log In Thank you!    

Welcome to your Green Bay Packers Online Community!

Since 2006, PackersHome has been providing a unique experience for fans.
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline RaiderPride  
#1 Posted : Thursday, November 1, 2012 10:13:09 AM(UTC)
RaiderPride

Applause Given: 91
Applause Received: 182

Great thought and gesture. It is obvious he loves America.

Not sure how he donated it.. But, if it was me, I would have picked one specific needy family and purchased them directly what they needed. (Not wanted.. needed.) Bureaucracy is a sleazy slut. Look what happened to money that was donated to victims of the Tsunami in Japan.

The Red Cross is a parasite feeding on the kind people of America.. So is The United Way. If one has to go through anyone.. It should be The Salvation Army, the best group of the bunch.

Great on Chuck though.. Class act.

""People Will Probably Never Remember What You Said, And May Never Remember What You Did. However, People Will Always Remember How You Made Them Feel."
thanks Post received 1 applause.
Wade on 11/2/2012(UTC)
Sponsor
Offline gbguy20  
#2 Posted : Thursday, November 1, 2012 11:19:34 AM(UTC)
gbguy20

Applause Given: 185
Applause Received: 247

Originally Posted by: RaiderPride Go to Quoted Post

Not sure how he donated it.. But, if it was me, I would have picked one specific needy family and purchased them directly what they needed. (Not wanted.. needed.) Bureaucracy is a sleazy slut. Look what happened to money that was donated to victims of the Tsunami in Japan.

The Red Cross is a parasite feeding on the kind people of America.. So is The United Way. If one has to go through anyone.. It should be The Salvation Army, the best group of the bunch.

Do you have an article about this? Or some numbers to back it up? I'm not doubting you, I'd just like to read about it.
call me Dan
Offline zombieslayer  
#3 Posted : Thursday, November 1, 2012 11:29:52 AM(UTC)
zombieslayer

Applause Given: 778
Applause Received: 495

Originally Posted by: gbguy20 Go to Quoted Post
Do you have an article about this? Or some numbers to back it up? I'm not doubting you, I'd just like to read about it.

Here's one example.

http://sfbayview.com/201...res-the-money-for-haiti/

Running the numbers from that article, at least Red Cross still does circles around that Susan Komen Breast Cancer scam. With the latter, almost none of it goes to breast cancer research.

I'm with RP. You gotta be careful about who you're giving money to. A lot of charities aren't that good.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage

(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)

2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. Ted Thompson Mike McCarthy Aaron Rodgers
Offline Zero2Cool  
#4 Posted : Thursday, November 1, 2012 11:32:01 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

United States

Applause Given: 1,740
Applause Received: 1,790

Pessimism aside, it's a great thing to do, especially when you have more money than you can reasonably spend.

Originally Posted by: zombieslayer Go to Quoted Post
You gotta be careful about who you're giving money to. A lot of charities aren't that good.

This one comes to mind ... www.invisiblechildren.com/kony/

UserPostedImage
Click here and find the LATEST Packers News!
Offline zombieslayer  
#5 Posted : Thursday, November 1, 2012 11:41:31 AM(UTC)
zombieslayer

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool Go to Quoted Post
Pessimism aside, it's a great thing to do, especially when you have more money than you can reasonably spend.

This one comes to mind ... www.invisiblechildren.com/kony/

Oh, completely agreed. Let's say hypothetically, you give $100k and the charity sucks and the people who need it only get $5k. That $5k is still better than nothing.

However as the good people we are, we should do our research and find charities that come close to accomplishing what we want to accomplish. The Salvation Army is a damn good charity.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage

2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. Ted Thompson Mike McCarthy Aaron Rodgers
Offline RajiRoar  
#6 Posted : Thursday, November 1, 2012 5:38:50 PM(UTC)
Laser Gunns

United States

Applause Given: 36
Applause Received: 186

sad that you REALLY need to research a chairity.

the Suzan G. Komen foundation (responsible for all the pink NFL games) only puts $0.20 of every dollar toward research.

11% goes to employee salarys, which may not sound like much but last year they made nearly 400 million.

I may be wearing my tinfoil hat here, but there are ALOT better places I'd rather put my money.

MintBaconDrivel

Dec, 11, 2012 - FOREVER!
Offline gbguy20  
#7 Posted : Thursday, November 1, 2012 9:18:10 PM(UTC)
gbguy20

Originally Posted by: RaiderPride Go to Quoted Post

timing on this is spectacular, check this out:

Staten Island Borough President: Don’t Give Money to the Red Cross

Quote:
And, although many pols spoke, no one was more impassioned than Borough President James Molinaro, who called the Red Cross an “absolute disgrace” and even urged the public to cease giving them contributions.

“Because the devastation in Staten Island, the lack of a response,” Mr. Molinaro said to explain his comment to NBC after the press conference. “You know, I went to a shelter Monday night after the storm. People were coming in with no socks, with no shoes. They were in desperate need. Their housing was destroyed. They were crying. Where was the Red Cross? Isn’t that their function?
call me Dan
zombieslayer on 11/1/2012(UTC)
Offline RaiderPride  
#8 Posted : Thursday, November 1, 2012 10:36:05 PM(UTC)
RaiderPride

Applause Given: 91
Applause Received: 182

All one has to do is just look at the American Red Cross history. This is not new news.

One of the things I found so disturbing is it has being going on for almost forever.

Google "WWII+VETERENS+RED CROSS+ANGER"

The Red Cross trains young men and women to be life guards, but they charge these kids for profit for the training. They charge more for the same certification that many private companies do and private companies give the kids better training to be a life guard.

Minor disasters are the Red Cross expertise. Take the three or four year floods in places like North Dakota. The Red Cross has a $40,000 dollar canteen vehicle set up "Selling" hot coffee for fifty cents a cup. While down the road the Salvation Army has a tent set up in a puddle giving out FREE hot coffee, FREE oranges, Free bottled water, and FREE donated blankets and clothing.

Sorry.. I am ranting.

""People Will Probably Never Remember What You Said, And May Never Remember What You Did. However, People Will Always Remember How You Made Them Feel."
Offline Zero2Cool  
#9 Posted : Friday, November 2, 2012 4:54:38 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

United States

Viable information and glad it was shared, but anyone else find it ironic that it was RaiderPride who pissed in the cheerios of someone else? lol normally he's the one who drops down a quip on how others are too negative!! :)

Edit, split this off because I want to see where this thread goes. I'm intrigued by the topic.

UserPostedImage
Offline zombieslayer  
#10 Posted : Friday, November 2, 2012 7:03:34 AM(UTC)
zombieslayer

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool Go to Quoted Post
Viable information and glad it was shared, but anyone else find it ironic that it was RaiderPride who pissed in the cheerios of someone else? lol normally he's the one who drops down a quip on how others are too negative!! :)

Edit, split this off because I want to see where this thread goes. I'm intrigued by the topic.

RP also knows about leadership, getting the most out of yourself, and expecting results as well as anyone. It's the last of the 3 that would really get under his skin.

I can see him being really pissed off if he gave $100 to what he thought would be a good cause and finding that $95 went to bureaucracy and $5 went to the cause when he could have given the $100 straight to the cause.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage

Zero2Cool on 8/15/2013(UTC)
Offline Zero2Cool  
#11 Posted : Friday, November 2, 2012 7:04:47 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

United States

I can see him being really pissed off if he gave $100 to what he thought would be a good cause and finding that $95 went to bureaucracy and $5 went to the cause when he could have given the $100 straight to the cause.

I can see 100% of people who donate not for tax relief, but for charitable motives being really pissed off.

UserPostedImage
Offline Pack93z  
#12 Posted : Friday, November 2, 2012 7:31:34 AM(UTC)
Pack93z

U.S. Minor Islands

Applause Given: 353
Applause Received: 936

The sad irony of it all.. we can't trust the government which is supposed to be there to serve we the people. We can't trust the non profits, because of the red tape and the cost of the overhead they have in place or supposedly has in place. We know the for profit companies are going to try and maximize profits at all costs.

Even if we want to truly help through a gift of money, there are very few avenues that are effective.

And we wonder why we are all cynical in nature...

The only time we know that are intentions are fulfilled is if we hand the money directly to our intended target. Even then we are probably going to weigh judgement upon how that target utilizes those gifts. :)

It all comes back to that powerful cardinal sin.. GREED.
The wolves will never lose sleep over the feelings of the sheep.

UserPostedImage
Offline Porforis  
#13 Posted : Friday, November 2, 2012 7:37:32 AM(UTC)
Porforis

United States

Applause Given: 167
Applause Received: 328

Originally Posted by: Pack93z Go to Quoted Post
The sad irony of it all.. we can't trust the government which is supposed to be there to serve we the people. We can't trust the non profits, because of the red tape and the cost of the overhead they have in place or supposedly has in place. We know the for profit companies are going to try and maximize profits at all costs.

Even if we want to truly help through a gift of money, there are very few avenues that are effective.

And we wonder why we are all cynical in nature...

The only time we know that are intentions are fulfilled is if we hand the money directly to our intended target. Even then we are probably going to weigh judgement upon how that target utilizes those gifts. :)

It all comes back to that powerful cardinal sin.. GREED.

And sloth. People want to do good, but in this age where you can donate by sending a quick text, it's easy for big organizations like the Red Cross to thrive. I'll drop a few bucks into salvation army drops from here to there but in general, when I donate I like to do it in chunks and it's always very important to research who you're giving money to and how much of it goes to what. If you can't find that data anywhere, it's probably a bad sign.
UserPostedImage
Offline PackFanWithTwins  
#14 Posted : Friday, November 2, 2012 8:06:57 AM(UTC)
PackFanWithTwins

Applause Given: 11
Applause Received: 345

One thing that needs to be looked at, is that most of the times when issues are brought up about this or that charity and where the money actually goes. It is being brought up and looked into by another group who wants the money to go through them instead of the Red Cross or other organization. No doubt the Red Cross has gotten to big for its own good. But no matter the organization, there is cost to what they do. It is easy for smaller and local charities to have lower overhead, but when you are dealing around the world, it costs.

I would like to see those in charge of them all making more reasonable salary, but just like a business you get what you pay for. Is it better to pay someboyd 100K who brings in 2 million in donations or somebody a million who brings in 100million in donation?
The world needs ditch diggers to Danny!!!
UserPostedImage
Offline gbguy20  
#15 Posted : Friday, November 2, 2012 10:22:21 AM(UTC)
gbguy20

call me Dan