Welcome to your Green Bay Packers Online Community!

Since 2006, PackersHome has been providing a unique experience for fans.
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
2 Pages<12
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Zero2Cool  
#16 Posted : Sunday, November 4, 2012 2:27:12 PM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 1,834
Applause Received: 1,991

Originally Posted by: nerdmann Go to Quoted Post
You don't have to blow every team out. All I'm asking for is consistency.

Packers have consistently scored more points than their opponent four weeks in a row. I suppose you want them to have more yards, first downs and less turn overs too before you're happy?

UserPostedImage
Click here and find the LATEST Packers News!
Offline nerdmann  
#17 Posted : Sunday, November 4, 2012 2:30:36 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Applause Given: 2,294
Applause Received: 572

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool Go to Quoted Post
Packers have consistently scored more points than their opponent four weeks in a row. I suppose you want them to have more yards, first downs and less turn overs too before you're happy?

If they played up to their ability and still lost, I'd be happy.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline zombieslayer  
#18 Posted : Sunday, November 4, 2012 3:02:32 PM(UTC)
zombieslayer

Applause Given: 778
Applause Received: 495

Originally Posted by: steveishere Go to Quoted Post
So where is the "good" team that has blown out everyone else this year?

That would be da Bears. Besides the Panthers game where they barely put up a W and the loss to us, they've blown out everyone else.

51-20 over the struggling Titans
41-3 over the Jags
23-6 over the Rams
41-21 over the Colts

They're blowing out teams they should blow out.

I'd LOVE to see a blow out against someone. Hasn't happened yet this year.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage

(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)

2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. Ted Thompson Mike McCarthy Aaron Rodgers
thanks Post received 1 applause.
nerdmann on 11/4/2012(UTC)
Offline Gaycandybacon  
#19 Posted : Sunday, November 4, 2012 3:37:57 PM(UTC)
Gaycandybacon

United States

Applause Given: 145
Applause Received: 173

Originally Posted by: zombieslayer Go to Quoted Post
That would be da Bears. Besides the Panthers game where they barely put up a W and the loss to us, they've blown out everyone else.

41-3 over the Jags
23-6 over the Rams
41-21 over the Colts

Ahem Texans... 42-24 Whistle

That is if you're talking about us. .
Offline steveishere  
#20 Posted : Sunday, November 4, 2012 4:36:31 PM(UTC)
steveishere

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2013

Applause Given: 38
Applause Received: 791

41-3 over the Jags
23-6 over the Rams
41-21 over the Colts

GB has beaten two 7-1 teams decisively. I'll take that over only blowing out bottom feeders. With all the injuries to significant players right now I'll take wins. As long as you make the playoffs how you played week to week in November means absolutely nothing.

Look at all the teams that have been winning the Superbowl (which is the point). Pretty much none of them were super consistent during the year, that's the way the NFL works. I know Packer fans like to think that the players on their team are significantly better than everyone else and they should destroy every team they face but in reality there are not huge talent discrepancies from team to team. The only thing that matters about the regular season is making the playoffs.
earthquake on 11/4/2012(UTC)
Offline steveishere  
#21 Posted : Sunday, November 4, 2012 4:39:01 PM(UTC)
steveishere

Offline zombieslayer  
#22 Posted : Sunday, November 4, 2012 4:50:17 PM(UTC)
zombieslayer

GB has beaten two 7-1 teams decisively. I'll take that over only blowing out bottom feeders. With all the injuries to significant players right now I'll take wins. As long as you make the playoffs how you played week to week in November means absolutely nothing.

Look at all the teams that have been winning the Superbowl (which is the point). Pretty much none of them were super consistent during the year, that's the way the NFL works. I know Packer fans like to think that the players on their team are significantly better than everyone else and they should destroy every team they face but in reality there are not huge talent discrepancies from team to team. The only thing that matters about the regular season is making the playoffs.

If we count blowouts as 20+ pt wins, let's look at the last SB winners.
'99 Rams (the greatest show on turf) - 9
'00 Ravens - 4
'01 Pats - 3
'02 Bucs - 3
'03 Pats - 2 (although the team had 3 shutouts)
'04 Pats - 3
'05 Steelers - 3
'06 Colts - 1
'07 Giants - 1
'08 Steelers - 4
'09 Saints - 4
'10 Packers - 4
'11 Giants - 0

So the only team that didn't have a blowout was the Giants. In the previous 4 years, 3 teams had 4 blowouts.

We got 0 so far. I'd love to make 2010 the blueprint to how we should go.

Now let's look at the 4 Packers SB teams.
'66 Packers - 3
'67 Packers - 3
'96 Packers - 7
'10 Packers - 4

So yeah, we should shoot for blowouts. It seems like historically, when the Packers blowout opponents, it leads to good things.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage

2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. Ted Thompson Mike McCarthy Aaron Rodgers
Offline steveishere  
#23 Posted : Sunday, November 4, 2012 5:27:39 PM(UTC)
steveishere

20 seems like a pretty arbitrary number but I don't see what number of blowouts has to do with consistency. Like I said I'll take the decisive victorys over otherwise undefeated teams over a string of "blowouts" over bottom feeders. Pretty much any past Superbowl winners have had losses to bad teams or close games to bad teams.

The 2010 team struggled and were a little lucky to even make the playoffs (even with all of those "blowouts"). That doesn't look like a great blueprint to me.
Offline zombieslayer  
#24 Posted : Sunday, November 4, 2012 6:58:21 PM(UTC)
zombieslayer

20 seems like a pretty arbitrary number but I don't see what number of blowouts has to do with consistency. Like I said I'll take the decisive victorys over otherwise undefeated teams over a string of "blowouts" over bottom feeders. Pretty much any past Superbowl winners have had losses to bad teams or close games to bad teams.

The 2010 team struggled and were a little lucky to even make the playoffs (even with all of those "blowouts"). That doesn't look like a great blueprint to me.

I think the best stat of all is still Passer Rating Differential. I don't have the stats on that.

However, I showed that SB winners often slaughter teams and the NY Giants of '11 were the only exception in the past 12 years. I don't know how that's a stat that can be overlooked. That's 11 of 12 teams.

Let's also take the '85 Bears. Arguably the most dominant team of the SB era. 6 blowouts in regular season + 3 in the Playoffs.

I'd MUCH rather use them for a blueprint than the 2011 Giants. I think if you surveyed 100 Packers fans, at least 95 would say the same.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage

Offline Zero2Cool  
#25 Posted : Sunday, November 4, 2012 7:10:19 PM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 1,834
Applause Received: 1,991

I think the best stat of all is still Passer Rating Differential. I don't have the stats on that.

Check the stickied thread on this category. It has a lot of useful quick links.

And yes, I would rather the Packers have a punishing menacing defense than one that pressures its own offense to play catch up that ultimately leaves opponents within winning reach at times.

UserPostedImage
Click here and find the LATEST Packers News!
zombieslayer on 11/4/2012(UTC)
Offline zombieslayer  
#26 Posted : Sunday, November 4, 2012 7:20:18 PM(UTC)
zombieslayer

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool Go to Quoted Post
Check the stickied thread on this category. It has a lot of useful quick links.

And yes, I would rather the Packers have a punishing menacing defense than one that pressures its own offense to play catch up that ultimately leaves opponents within winning reach at times.

Thanks. That's one sweet page. I could get lost on that page for days. Applause

And yes, I wish our D was more punishing. Thus, Mike McCarthy needs to punch Dom in the ding ding every time he rushes 3. Brick wall

If I'm not mistaken, Mike McCarthy is very hands off when it comes to the D and just lets Dom do his thing, so Dom's the one to blame for that stupid 3 man rush.

We were starting to get pressure on Skelton today. Then Dom decided to rush 3. I wasn't too pissed because we weren't threatened today. Still, I want to see the Packers blow somebody out.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage

Offline steveishere  
#27 Posted : Sunday, November 4, 2012 8:38:52 PM(UTC)
steveishere

However, I showed that SB winners often slaughter teams and the NY Giants of '11 were the only exception in the past 12 years. I don't know how that's a stat that can be overlooked. That's 11 of 12 teams.

Let's also take the '85 Bears. Arguably the most dominant team of the SB era. 6 blowouts in regular season + 3 in the Playoffs.

I'd MUCH rather use them for a blueprint than the 2011 Giants. I think if you surveyed 100 Packers fans, at least 95 would say the same.

Why is 20 points the standard for "blowouts" why is blowout more significant than just a decisive victory? If you switch your number to 10 points the 2010 team had 5 and this years team already has 4.
Offline zombieslayer  
#28 Posted : Sunday, November 4, 2012 9:38:21 PM(UTC)
zombieslayer

Why is 20 points the standard for "blowouts" why is blowout more significant than just a decisive victory? If you switch your number to 10 points the 2010 team had 5 and this years team already has 4.

10 points is recoverable in a matter of minutes. 20 points, it's rare that anyone will recover from that deficit. It happens, but it's rare.

I've heard people say 14 points is a blowout, but I don't even like 14 points. I've watched too much football to be comfortable with a 14 point lead.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage

Rss Feed