Join Our Green Bay Packers Interactive Community!

We have been providing fans with the best source of Packers information since 2006!
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
14 Pages«<34567>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline MontanaBob  
#41 Posted : Monday, November 19, 2012 10:07:29 AM(UTC)
MontanaBob

Rank: 4th Round Draft Pick

Joined: 8/18/2008(UTC)
Location: near Missoula Montana

Applause Received: 56

Garu Yepremian has been sighted on Lombardi Ave just this morning. He was seen not only waming up his leg, but actually practicing his passing motion as well.

He told a passer-by...."Not only do you geet good keecker, you geet back-up quarterback, who can pass ball weeth da best of them. And, I sell lots of ties to Packers. Gotta look good at da press conferences."

Crosby better be on the look out. But hey, he could lose his job but end up with a lifetime supply of neckties. Give a couple to the girls as gifts.
Anyone for a Weenie Roast?
Offline play2win  
#42 Posted : Monday, November 19, 2012 12:08:41 PM(UTC)
play2win

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

United States
Joined: 3/29/2012(UTC)
Location: Milwaukee

Applause Given: 1,076
Applause Received: 725

Mason has to work his way out of the slump. Plain and simple... to say, not the easiest thing to actually do. He's already worked his way out of one slump, where he went 16-23 in 2009. He had a stretch of 4 misses in 10 attempts that year, and really struggled from +40 (4-7) and + 50 (2-6). Still, he finished the year at 75%.

Bob McGinn's 2009 grade on Crosby:

"Mason Crosby: Tied for 25th in field-goal accuracy (.750) after ranking 26th in 2007 (.795) and 28th in 2008 (.794). The majority of his misses came from the right hash mark. Tied for 11th in average distance per miss (46.6), ranked 16th in average distance per attempt (36.3) and tied for 24th in average distance per make (32.8). On 78 kickoffs when instructed to kick deep, he averaged 68.01 yards (best in Green Bay this decade) and 3.95 seconds of hang time (second best of decade). Adjusted beautifully when asked to kick off directionally or drive it low. Outstanding on onside kicks. Grade: D-plus"

2010 he made 78.6%
2011 he made 85.7%

This looks to be a bigger slump. Hopefully Mason Crosby can climb out of this one to finish the year strong. I like that McCarthy has instilled confidence in Crosby's ability to turn it back around and be successful, again. If I were Ted, I would get Ryan Longwell on speed dial, and see how he could add him to our roster - just in case Crosby can't shake it. Longwell for FGs. Crosby for KOs.

Stats on kickers who have successfully worked their way out of serious slumps are very rare - nonexistent. If Crosby can in fact do it, he should get a lot of credit. This is no small thing.
Offline buckeyepackfan  
#43 Posted : Monday, November 19, 2012 4:49:49 PM(UTC)
buckeyepackfan

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2012Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2014

Joined: 8/7/2008(UTC)
Location: Lima, Ohio

Applause Given: 350
Applause Received: 457

Coach knows Best!

Mon, 19 Nov 2012 07:36:30 -0800

Green Bay Packers head coach Mike McCarthy said following Week 11 he has no plans to release PK Mason Crosby despite his struggles. "We will continue with Mason," McCarthy said. "We will not blink as far as our commitment to him."

Share: | Source: NFL.com





Read more: http://www.kffl.com/team...ay-packers#ixzz2CiQa3Pce
Enjoy the ride – It kicks and just keeps on kickin’. "Stats are for Losers"
Offline Tezzy  
#44 Posted : Monday, November 19, 2012 6:44:31 PM(UTC)
Tezzy

Rank: 3rd Round Draft Pick

United States
Joined: 8/21/2008(UTC)
Location: Wayne's Basement

Applause Given: 29
Applause Received: 80

Originally Posted by: play2win Go to Quoted Post
Mason has to work his way out of the slump. Plain and simple... to say, not the easiest thing to actually do. He's already worked his way out of one slump, where he went 16-23 in 2009. He had a stretch of 4 misses in 10 attempts that year, and really struggled from +40 (4-7) and + 50 (2-6). Still, he finished the year at 75%.

Bob McGinn's 2009 grade on Crosby:

"Mason Crosby: Tied for 25th in field-goal accuracy (.750) after ranking 26th in 2007 (.795) and 28th in 2008 (.794). The majority of his misses came from the right hash mark. Tied for 11th in average distance per miss (46.6), ranked 16th in average distance per attempt (36.3) and tied for 24th in average distance per make (32.8). On 78 kickoffs when instructed to kick deep, he averaged 68.01 yards (best in Green Bay this decade) and 3.95 seconds of hang time (second best of decade). Adjusted beautifully when asked to kick off directionally or drive it low. Outstanding on onside kicks. Grade: D-plus"

2010 he made 78.6%
2011 he made 85.7%

This looks to be a bigger slump. Hopefully Mason Crosby can climb out of this one to finish the year strong. I like that McCarthy has instilled confidence in Crosby's ability to turn it back around and be successful, again. If I were Ted, I would get Ryan Longwell on speed dial, and see how he could add him to our roster - just in case Crosby can't shake it. Longwell for FGs. Crosby for KOs.

Stats on kickers who have successfully worked their way out of serious slumps are very rare - nonexistent. If Crosby can in fact do it, he should get a lot of credit. This is no small thing.


Longwell had two slump seasons he overcame in his career, a 22 pt(86% to 64% back to 82%) in 2000-2002 and yet another season with a 11 pt drop. Morten Anderson had successive seasons of 85%+ followed by successive season of less than 72%, and back to seasons in the 80%+. What about Nick Folk, he plummets from 90% to 65%, and after three straight improving seasons, kicking at 82% this season. I disagree that it is rare or nonexistent for kickers to get out of slumps.

I think Mason can get back to his already pedestrian, but most the time tolerable, sub 80% lifetime. If Mason can recover for the remainder of the season he can get back to respectable and still maintain a pretty solid career stat line.

On top of every beard grows a man.
thanks Post received 1 applause.
Zero2Cool on 11/19/2012(UTC)
Offline nerdmann  
#45 Posted : Monday, November 19, 2012 8:10:23 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Rank: Most Valuable Player

Joined: 9/14/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 2,705
Applause Received: 663

Originally Posted by: Tezzy Go to Quoted Post
Longwell had two slump seasons he overcame in his career, a 22 pt(86% to 64% back to 82%) in 2000-2002 and yet another season with a 11 pt drop. Morten Anderson had successive seasons of 85%+ followed by successive season of less than 72%, and back to seasons in the 80%+. What about Nick Folk, he plummets from 90% to 65%, and after three straight improving seasons, kicking at 82% this season. I disagree that it is rare or nonexistent for kickers to get out of slumps.

I think Mason can get back to his already pedestrian, but most the time tolerable, sub 80% lifetime. If Mason can recover for the remainder of the season he can get back to respectable and still maintain a pretty solid career stat line.



People talk shit about Crosby being sub 80 %. But keep in mind. Not only does he have to consistently make unusually long attempts, but he's also kicking in Lambeau.

Now I don't think Crosby's "clutch," per se. Never has been. But he's good with the onside and pooch type kicks. Plus he's got a strong leg.

I can see why they're not gonna just dump him.

All kickers go through slumps. Not to jinx him of course.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline play2win  
#46 Posted : Tuesday, November 20, 2012 9:49:05 AM(UTC)
play2win

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

United States
Joined: 3/29/2012(UTC)
Location: Milwaukee

Applause Given: 1,076
Applause Received: 725

Originally Posted by: Tezzy Go to Quoted Post
Longwell had two slump seasons he overcame in his career, a 22 pt(86% to 64% back to 82%) in 2000-2002 and yet another season with a 11 pt drop. Morten Anderson had successive seasons of 85%+ followed by successive season of less than 72%, and back to seasons in the 80%+. What about Nick Folk, he plummets from 90% to 65%, and after three straight improving seasons, kicking at 82% this season. I disagree that it is rare or nonexistent for kickers to get out of slumps.

I think Mason can get back to his already pedestrian, but most the time tolerable, sub 80% lifetime. If Mason can recover for the remainder of the season he can get back to respectable and still maintain a pretty solid career stat line.



Teezy, you are right that there are instances where kickers have gotten out of slumps, so, the "non-existent" statement I made was incorrect. However, they are indeed rare. You would have to admit that.

BTW, it is normal for an ebb and flow type of percentage for accuracy amongst all kickers from one season to the next. That is the norm. The thing that has me concerned is actually climbing out of a rather severe slump. He was fine prior to the IND game, making 100% of his FGs, with a long of 54 yds. Since that game he had made just 6 of his 13 attempts, with a long of 48 @ STL.
Offline Pack93z  
#47 Posted : Tuesday, November 20, 2012 10:20:38 AM(UTC)
Pack93z

Rank: Hall of Famer

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Bronze: 2012

United States
Joined: 3/16/2007(UTC)
Location: North Central Wisconsin

Applause Given: 398
Applause Received: 1,078

I don't know if it is that rare of a thing.

Took a look at three of the longest tenured K's in the league.

David Akers, Jason Hanson, Adam Vinatieri.

All have had sucessive seasons with drops or peaks of greater than 10% from the previous season. For a graphical look..
Pack93z attached the following image(s):
Kickers % Made by Season..JPG (127kb) downloaded 14 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
I think when there's enough will and aggression, there's no shortage of talent either.

UserPostedImage
thanks Post received 1 applause.
Kyle on 11/20/2012(UTC)
Offline Pack93z  
#48 Posted : Tuesday, November 20, 2012 10:24:02 AM(UTC)
Pack93z

Rank: Hall of Famer

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Bronze: 2012

United States
Joined: 3/16/2007(UTC)
Location: North Central Wisconsin

Applause Given: 398
Applause Received: 1,078

The problem, if any with Mason is that he is a lower percentage kicker overall, so his lows seem more apparent.

But just the same, the Packers resigned him with that knowledge in place.
I think when there's enough will and aggression, there's no shortage of talent either.

UserPostedImage
Offline Pack93z  
#49 Posted : Tuesday, November 20, 2012 10:42:32 AM(UTC)
Pack93z

Rank: Hall of Famer

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Bronze: 2012

United States
Joined: 3/16/2007(UTC)
Location: North Central Wisconsin

Applause Given: 398
Applause Received: 1,078

I wanted to slice the numbers for kickers, by summary comparisons.

By range, by overall percentage and percent of their attempts over 50 yards, something I thought Crosby had suffered by the hands of MM. Meaning that he had a proportionally higher attempts in relation to all attempts from over 50 yards because of his leg strength.



Pack93z attached the following image(s):
K by the Numbers.JPG (61kb) downloaded 17 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
I think when there's enough will and aggression, there's no shortage of talent either.

UserPostedImage
thanks Post received 1 applause.
Kyle on 11/20/2012(UTC)
Offline play2win  
#50 Posted : Tuesday, November 20, 2012 12:04:52 PM(UTC)
play2win

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

United States
Joined: 3/29/2012(UTC)
Location: Milwaukee

Applause Given: 1,076
Applause Received: 725

Originally Posted by: Pack93z Go to Quoted Post
I don't know if it is that rare of a thing.

Took a look at three of the longest tenured K's in the league.

David Akers, Jason Hanson, Adam Vinatieri.

All have had sucessive seasons with drops or peaks of greater than 10% from the previous season. For a graphical look..


Yeah, but the mean there is around 75%. As I mentioned, the norm is an ebb and flow from year to year. He was perfect through the first 4 games, with 0 attempts in two of those contests (5-5 in both CHI and SEA games).

The last 6 weeks he is kicking at 46%, which is WAY out of that mean. That is where I have a concern. Every kicker slumps to some extent at certain points in their careers. It is just, how badly, and for how long.

I would say this a considerable stretch here. I hope he can climb out of it. He has remarkable support from his coaches and teammates. I'm pulling for him, as I am a pretty big fan of his.
Rss Feed 
Users browsing this topic
Guest
14 Pages«<34567>»
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Notification

Icon
Error

Tweeter

Recent Topics
2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / yooperfan

2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / yooperfan

2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / yooperfan

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / nerdmann

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / nerdmann

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / sschind

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / porky88

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / sschind

18h / Green Bay Packers Talk / packman82

20h / Green Bay Packers Talk / nerdmann

22-Nov / Green Bay Packers Talk / macbob

21-Nov / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

21-Nov / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

20-Nov / Green Bay Packers Talk / Since69

20-Nov / Green Bay Packers Talk / TheKanataThrilla