Join Our Green Bay Packers Interactive Community!

We have been providing fans with the best source of Packers information since 2006!
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
6 Pages«<23456>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline PackerTraxx  
#31 Posted : Monday, November 26, 2012 10:02:31 AM(UTC)
PackerTraxx

Rank: 2nd Round Draft Pick

Joined: 8/13/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 18
Applause Received: 127

Originally Posted by: musccy Go to Quoted Post
The next man up is cute rhetoric, but in reality it doesn't mean much. Your starters are starters for a reason - they're more talented, faster, quicker, stronger, more instinctive. If Harrell or Driver were forced into the position of "next man up" we could preach the mantra all we want, but would you really expect the same production?



This...and it shows more blatantly when you play good teams.
Why is Jerry Kramer not in the Hall of Fame?
Offline nerdmann  
#32 Posted : Monday, November 26, 2012 10:08:00 AM(UTC)
nerdmann

Rank: Most Valuable Player

Joined: 9/14/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 2,705
Applause Received: 663

Ted always leaves us dangerously thin at one position or another.

This year was OL.

And QB...
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline Zero2Cool  
#33 Posted : Monday, November 26, 2012 10:13:26 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Rank: Legend

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States
Joined: 10/13/2006(UTC)
Location: Green Bay, WI

Applause Given: 1,966
Applause Received: 2,223

Originally Posted by: nerdmann Go to Quoted Post
Ted always leaves us dangerously thin at one position or another.

This year was OL.

And QB...


I agree, I think Mark Murphy should find a better General Manager. Ted Thompson is failing to have starting caliber backups at all 22 starting positions and can easily be replaced.
"I do not think there is any thrill that can go through the human heart like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything." - Nikola Tesla

UserPostedImage
thanks Post received 1 applause.
Since69 on 11/30/2012(UTC)
Offline play2win  
#34 Posted : Monday, November 26, 2012 10:33:44 AM(UTC)
play2win

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

United States
Joined: 3/29/2012(UTC)
Location: Milwaukee

Applause Given: 1,076
Applause Received: 725

Originally Posted by: musccy Go to Quoted Post
If it were that easy, everyone in the league would have a 100 yard rusher each game. I'm sure Campen is an issue, but aside from Lang and Sitton at guard, I have virtually no confidence in anyone else on the roster at any other OL position. They seemingly can't pull, move for screens, hell they were manhandled in a 3 man rush at times last night. Every f'n draft pick in 2013 should be on an OL - well maybe one pick on a WR capable of beating a 5'9" corner pressing at the line wouldn't hurt.



This is crazy talk.

Our #1 problem at OL is: COACHING. Plain and simple.

We have drafted OL with our #1 pick twice in the last 3 years. Bulaga with the 23rd pick in 2010. Sherrod with the 32nd pick in the 2011 draft. Let's face it, our coaches (Campen and Hilgenberg) are not coaching this OL properly, and McCarthy and Clements are not calling the plays properly to put our team in a position to win.

It is really simple. Get your guys together, tell them we are going to run at the opponent 55% of our plays. Then, fucking call those plays and let your guys tee off!

Alex Green alone should have had 22 carries. Starks should have that or close to that too. Guess what? We would have won, and our OL would have gotten the game ball.

We should have punched NYG in the mouth. Instead, we absorbed their rush with devastating consequences, putting our players mostly in pass protection. The play calling alone made them look like a bunch of pansies. You cannot absorb that from a quality DL, on a mission, and expect to win. No team can.
thanks Post received 1 applause.
Since69 on 11/30/2012(UTC)
Offline play2win  
#35 Posted : Monday, November 26, 2012 10:36:46 AM(UTC)
play2win

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

United States
Joined: 3/29/2012(UTC)
Location: Milwaukee

Applause Given: 1,076
Applause Received: 725

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool Go to Quoted Post
I agree, I think Mark Murphy should find a better General Manager. Ted Thompson is failing to have starting caliber backups at all 22 starting positions and can easily be replaced.


i don't think that's fair. Ted has to own his part of the blame with regard to positions he left thin. And we all know he left BOTH DL and OL depth thin on the final 53. I , personally, cannot believe he did not find an adequate backup at NT for this season. That blows my mind.
Offline Zero2Cool  
#36 Posted : Monday, November 26, 2012 10:40:43 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Rank: Legend

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States
Joined: 10/13/2006(UTC)
Location: Green Bay, WI

Applause Given: 1,966
Applause Received: 2,223

Originally Posted by: play2win Go to Quoted Post
i don't think that's fair. Ted has to own his part of the blame with regard to positions he left thin. And we all know he left BOTH DL and OL depth thin on the final 53. I , personally, cannot believe he did not find an adequate backup at NT for this season. That blows my mind.


You want to talk about being fair? Check the injury report. You can find flaws with EVERY single GM in the NFL. Is it really fair to lack objectivity and reason when saying someone is failing in their profession?

No one is absolving the GM of responsibility, but expecting 22 starting quality backup's is freaking absurd expectations.
"I do not think there is any thrill that can go through the human heart like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything." - Nikola Tesla

UserPostedImage
Offline play2win  
#37 Posted : Monday, November 26, 2012 10:47:01 AM(UTC)
play2win

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

United States
Joined: 3/29/2012(UTC)
Location: Milwaukee

Applause Given: 1,076
Applause Received: 725

I love Ted, and I think he's been an amazing GM for us. I like McCarthy too. Hey, this staff of his got an inordinate amount of rookies to step up and play very well.

I'm just saying there are a couple of areas that are in fact on the GM. OL and DL depth. To start the season, both were left quite thin, were they not? Now, we've got atrophy on both lines, and questions looming about how to fill in the blanks. I'm not railing on Thompson, not at all. But, he left us thin in the trenches, where most teams win in this NFL.

The kicker for me is the DL. We needed pass rush. That was paramount after last season. Why, why, why leave your DL thin to start the season?

As for the OL, I happen to think we wouldn't even be talking about it if they were coached up to smash the Giants in the mouth for 4 quarters of run dominated offense.
Offline Pack93z  
#38 Posted : Monday, November 26, 2012 10:54:37 AM(UTC)
Pack93z

Rank: Hall of Famer

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Bronze: 2012

United States
Joined: 3/16/2007(UTC)
Location: North Central Wisconsin

Applause Given: 398
Applause Received: 1,078

Originally Posted by: play2win Go to Quoted Post
I love Ted, and I think he's been an amazing GM for us. I like McCarthy too. Hey, this staff of his got an inordinate amount of rookies to step up and play very well.

I'm just saying there are a couple of areas that are in fact on the GM. OL and DL depth. To start the season, both were left quite thin, were they not? Now, we've got atrophy on both lines, and questions looming about how to fill in the blanks. I'm not railing on Thompson, not at all. But, he left us thin in the trenches, where most teams win in this NFL.

The kicker for me is the DL. We needed pass rush. That was paramount after last season. Why, why, why leave your DL thin to start the season?

As for the OL, I happen to think we wouldn't even be talking about it if they were coached up to smash the Giants in the mouth for 4 quarters of run dominated offense.


I will disagree with the premise that we don't have better DL depth than last season.. the numbers simply tell us that we have a better rotation than last season. See the defensive comparison thread.
I think when there's enough will and aggression, there's no shortage of talent either.

UserPostedImage
Offline musccy  
#39 Posted : Monday, November 26, 2012 11:08:37 AM(UTC)
musccy

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

Joined: 5/7/2009(UTC)
Location: Pennsylvania

Applause Given: 251
Applause Received: 234

Originally Posted by: play2win Go to Quoted Post


The kicker for me is the DL. We needed pass rush. That was paramount after last season. Why, why, why leave your DL thin to start the season?



You can blame Ted et al for not drafting well, but not for a lack of an attempt to address this. He brought in Muir, a former 2nd rounder from the Dolphins, Hargrove, drafted Worthy, Daniels, and 2 LBs to help with the pass rush. Their was certainly a recognition of a flaw and an attempt to fix it.

Offline play2win  
#40 Posted : Monday, November 26, 2012 11:09:54 AM(UTC)
play2win

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

United States
Joined: 3/29/2012(UTC)
Location: Milwaukee

Applause Given: 1,076
Applause Received: 725

Originally Posted by: Pack93z Go to Quoted Post
I will disagree with the premise that we don't have better DL depth than last season.. the numbers simply tell us that we have a better rotation than last season. See the defensive comparison thread.


I should have stuck with NT Pack93z. I just have not been thrilled with the idea of leaving Raji and Pick without proper backup.

I expected more from Worthy and Neal. Those two disappointed me against the Giants.
Rss Feed 
Users browsing this topic
Guest (2)
6 Pages«<23456>
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Notification

Icon
Error

Tweeter

Recent Topics
49m / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / DakotaT

2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / steveishere

3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / DarkaneRules

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / sschind

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Tezzy

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / nerdmann

17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / nerdmann

19h / Green Bay Packers Talk / porky88

22-Nov / Green Bay Packers Talk / packman82

22-Nov / Green Bay Packers Talk / nerdmann

22-Nov / Green Bay Packers Talk / macbob

21-Nov / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

21-Nov / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool