Change is Coming PACKERSHOME is going to be 10 years old later this season and for us to have another 10 years, things will have to change. Read Change is Coming for current issues that will be resolved.
Green Bay Packers Forum

Welcome to your Green Bay Packers Online Community!

Since 2006, PackersHome has been providing a unique experience for fans.
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline QCHuskerFan  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, December 4, 2012 1:34:40 PM(UTC)

Applause Given: 202
Applause Received: 271
There was a lot of dismissal over the winter when Joe Philbin went to Miami. Most of us seemed to think that since Mike McCarthy was essentially the OC, we wouldn't miss Philbin much.

Now, 12 games into the season, it seems like we have had a lot of playcalling issues that I don't remember having in the past. Was Philbin's role in the booth to count running plays and tell McCarthy when he was being pass happy? I know that is an oversimplification, but is there an assistant coach that is 'strongly' counseling Mike McCarthy during his playcalling? I would assume there is an assistant something or other than tracks in game stats to work with predictability.
Mike McCarthy didn't overnight forget how to call a balanced game. Philbin seems to be the main change form last year. Maybe we are missing him more than we thought we would.
Offline Pack93z  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, December 4, 2012 1:47:15 PM(UTC)

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Bronze: 2012

United States
Applause Given: 410
Applause Received: 1,134
Actually we are running more this season than the last couple with exception of the end of the 2010 season.

I am sure Philbin leaving hurts, but it is not like this offense can't get it done if they have the time to get it done.

My opinion, this season has been a struggle because of injury and offensive protection issues. If Philbin had a hand in the protection schemes.. I will concur with the impact his leaving had.

But short of that, I think it was manageable.
Offline Gaycandybacon  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, December 4, 2012 1:55:02 PM(UTC)

United States
Applause Given: 146
Applause Received: 186
There is a lot of moving pieces going around this year, and I think that's the problem. The emergance of Cobb, The Injures of Greg Jennings, Jordy Nelson, and Cedric Benson. The offensive line shuffling because of injures.. Jermichael Finley and Mason Crosby struggling.. The Offense trying to become more balenced. Etc. Etc.

Honestly the Offense is still there, I just think the defense has not caught up to us at times, mostly not taking away the ball as much.. but still production, 29 or 30 TDs to 8 INTs for Rodgers. The running game becoming a little better week by week (it looks worse than it is because so many different players carried the ball). We just need to be consistant for 4 Quarters. I'm not worried about losing Philbin either, and I'm not gonna blame it all on him not being here. Because even when he was there, Mccarthy still called the plays.
Offline PackFanWithTwins  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, December 4, 2012 1:57:59 PM(UTC)

Applause Given: 21
Applause Received: 773
I don't see much if any difference in play calling. I see mostly the same type routes and plays being called. The same disregard for the run, lack of short pass and slow to make adjustments.

Only difference I see is those plays are not working like they did. Think it has some to do with defenses being better prepared for us, and some of it just being luck. Sometimes the difference between a completion and a reception is just fractions of inches or seconds.
Offline steveishere  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, December 4, 2012 4:10:51 PM(UTC)

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2013

Applause Given: 57
Applause Received: 1,409
The offense overall hasn't been as successful as last year but they have also played tougher defenses this year and had more serious injures. Despite that this season hasn't been a whole lot different offensively than any of the other seasons besides 2011 with Philbin as OC.
Offline nerdmann  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, December 4, 2012 4:33:52 PM(UTC)

Applause Given: 4,942
Applause Received: 1,168
Philbin should be a good coach, but while in Green Bay he provided too many damn off field distractions. If his kid wasn't getting drunk and killing himself, he was raping people.

We'll be fine.

Arodge just needs to learn to take the checkdown once in awhile. GET THE FIRST DOWN.
Offline macbob  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, December 4, 2012 5:37:15 PM(UTC)

Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Gold: 2013PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2014FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Silver: 2012FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2014

Applause Given: 350
Applause Received: 298
I think some of the offensive problems were due to WR injury. Gregorious missed most of the year so far, Jordy's missed all/portions of more than one game. When you lose your top two WRs that's got to impact your passing game.

Offline coltonja  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, December 4, 2012 6:09:53 PM(UTC)

Applause Given: 66
Applause Received: 38
nerdmann said: Go to Quoted Post
Philbin should be a good coach, but while in Green Bay he provided too many damn off field distractions. If his kid wasn't getting drunk and killing himself, he was raping people.

If a few things were different I might punch you in the face for saying something like this. I've seen a lot of crap on the internet but that is just insensitive, terribly untrue, and utterly pathetic.

Joe Philbin is a good coach, was a good coach for the Green Bay Packers, and is respected by his players and fellow coaches both past and present.
thanks Post received 2 applause.
rabidgopher04 on 12/4/2012(UTC), AKampfan78 on 12/6/2012(UTC)
Offline Zero2Cool  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, December 4, 2012 6:28:50 PM(UTC)

Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Gold: 2015Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States
Applause Given: 2,250
Applause Received: 3,314
So, are you saying the offense was prolific every year that Joe Philbin was OC? I think 2011 was more so all the pieces fell in the Packers favor than being on one man. I don't see the Dolphins putting up those kind of numbers either.

Surely he is missed. It's not likely he's the reason the Packers aren't putting up offensive scoring records. Keep things in relative.
Offline nerdmann  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, December 4, 2012 7:43:19 PM(UTC)

Applause Given: 4,942
Applause Received: 1,168
coltonja said: Go to Quoted Post
If a few things were different I might punch you in the face for saying something like this. I've seen a lot of crap on the internet but that is just insensitive, terribly untrue, and utterly pathetic.

Joe Philbin is a good coach, was a good coach for the Green Bay Packers, and is respected by his players and fellow coaches both past and present.

I believe he's going to be a successful HC.

That said, I also believe there was an off field distraction last year that adversely effected the team in the playoffs.
Rss Feed