Welcome to your Green Bay Packers Online Community!

Since 2006, PackersHome has been providing a unique experience for fans.
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
3 Pages<123>
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline play2win  
#16 Posted : Wednesday, December 5, 2012 11:52:14 AM(UTC)
play2win

United States

Applause Given: 1,076
Applause Received: 725

Originally Posted by: Porforis Go to Quoted Post
I still like Kuhn as a blocker and as a pure Packers Person, but it seems he's been completely ineffective at running the ball.

I hate that quick handoff to him for nothing... He is a lead blocker, and can catch in the flat after a chip. All good in FB role, but not a feature back.
Offline beast  
#17 Posted : Wednesday, December 5, 2012 12:02:32 PM(UTC)
beast

Applause Given: 184
Applause Received: 270

Originally Posted by: Porforis Go to Quoted Post
I still like Kuhn as a blocker and as a pure Packers Person, but it seems he's been completely ineffective at running the ball.

That's not Kuhn... that's division rivals knowing McCarthy's tricks...

Kuhn is averaging 4.2 yards per carry against non-divisional rivals.
Kuhn is averaging less than 1.15 yards per carry against divisional rivals.

The division knows on short yardage downs Mike McCarthy likes trying to sneak it up the middle with Kuhn.
America's team Of the people by the people for the people Packer People
UserPostedImage
~ madeby ~ pack93z ~
thanks Post received 1 applause.
nerdmann on 12/5/2012(UTC)
Offline RajiRoar  
#18 Posted : Wednesday, December 5, 2012 12:36:20 PM(UTC)
Laser Gunns

United States

Applause Given: 38
Applause Received: 222

IIRC,

Grant usually got better once the weather turned to crap.

maybe he can run like 07'. I assume he knows RBs are disposable after 30 nowadays, and will be running hard to see if he can't get one more contract.

MintBaconDrivel

Dec, 11, 2012 - FOREVER!
Offline nerdmann  
#19 Posted : Wednesday, December 5, 2012 12:41:24 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Applause Given: 2,365
Applause Received: 600

Originally Posted by: Pack93z Go to Quoted Post
Not pointing the finger in any direction specifically.. but it was and always will be the next guy in line in the better choice.

I yearly hope we draft a blue chip type back that can support the elite passing game we have and help close out games. I supported Benson being added as he, IMO, is a better fit for our offense than Grant. But that doesn't mean Grant was garbage either.

Chat.. threads.. it was filled with "he runs into the the backs of the lineman" or "can't break a tackle". Those same quotes now will be to give him time over Green.. feature him. Etc.

Basically.. Grant is a known commodity to the Packers and will be a steady back that can be utilized quickly and provides an ready option. Nothing more can be expected. Anything more is a gift..

But that won't stop some from elevating their expectations only to be disappointed and start clamoring for the next guy. The calls for Harris or White will start after a couple of carries. We seen it earlier this season.. we see it every season.

Like those that could find no flaw in Rodgers last season only to call him a stat whore this season. Even thought the guy is still playing the position at levels few ever obtain and does everything he can to propel this team to victory with a torrid pass rush weekly chasing him down.

This is a perfect situation for Grant.

I like Starks and Benson over Grant, but damn. It sure is nice to have Grant available as depth when we need him in this situation. Dude isn't Ahman Green, but he can play.

He will also have extra motivation in this situation, as well as fresh legs from not taking a beating all year except for maybe a couple games with the Skins. Green is a player who always got stronger as the season wore on anyway. He might be a little older now, but he's also fresher.

As for a blue chip RB, I don't think Ted goes there. Not with the NFL in it's current "arena league" passing phase. But I'll tell you what. With Green and Starks, if we can get some healthy OL in front of them, they'll start breaking long runs. MARK IT DOWN.

Love this signing.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline buckeyepackfan  
#20 Posted : Wednesday, December 5, 2012 3:18:44 PM(UTC)
buckeyepackfan

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2012Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2014

Applause Given: 273
Applause Received: 388

Chris Mortenson just reported on ESPN he had just talked with RG last week wondering if any team had called him due to injuries, Ryan told Mort he was at the time heading to the gym to workout so he would be ready if anyone called.

That's not football shape, but considering he went through a training camp and was on the Redskins roster early in the season it shouldn't take him long to be ready.

Mortenson also reported that Ryan Grant received a standing ovation from all the players when he reported today for practice.

Grant was and is again an experienced vet younger guys look up to.

With the reports saying James Starks may be lost for the season, Ryan Grant could once again become a very important part of the running game in Green Bay.

Let's hope there is just enough left in the tank for RG to make a difference.

4 regular season games left, 4 playoff games, I'm guessing 10-15 touches a game, that's only 80 min to 120 max for the rest of the season, IMHO Ryan Grant will show he can handle that load.

Enjoy the ride – It kicks and just keeps on kickin’.
Offline DakotaT  
#21 Posted : Wednesday, December 5, 2012 5:44:17 PM(UTC)
DakotaT

Applause Given: 637
Applause Received: 1,314

Originally Posted by: buckeyepackfan Go to Quoted Post

4 regular season games left, 4 playoff games, I'm guessing 10-15 touches a game, that's only 80 min to 120 max for the rest of the season, IMHO Ryan Grant will show he can handle that load.

Change the bong water Buckeye, if Grant gets 5 touches a game, I'll be surprised.
UserPostedImage
Offline macbob  
#22 Posted : Wednesday, December 5, 2012 7:28:58 PM(UTC)
macbob

Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Silver: 2012

Applause Given: 264
Applause Received: 227

I'm glad they signed Grant, but I'm also tempering that with some realistic expectations:

Grant was cut by the Redskins to sign Keiland Williams, who had himself been cut by the Detroit Lions. Williams had all of 3 yards on 2 carries for the Lions. That the Redskins valued Williams over Grant says quite a lot. It appears Grant didn't regain his old form after his injury last year. Rotoworld says this:

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/3252/player

Rotoworld wrote:
Last season, Grant played in 15 games for the Packers, averaging 8.9 carries for 37.2 yards and rushing for two touchdowns. But thanks to a striking decline in burst, he was never a real option to re-sign in free agency. Even after Cedric Benson initially went down with his foot injury earlier this year, the Packers let Grant languish on the street. But now that Benson is officially done for the season and James Starks (knee) will soon be joining him, desperation has struck. Look for Grant, who turns 30 on Sunday, to serve as mere insurance behind Alex Green on early downs while battling with Johnny White, John Kuhn and DuJuan Harris for backup reps.
UserPostedImage
Offline zombieslayer  
#23 Posted : Wednesday, December 5, 2012 8:58:41 PM(UTC)
zombieslayer

Applause Given: 778
Applause Received: 495

Originally Posted by: Pack93z Go to Quoted Post
Oh.. it is not that I think he is the answer to our issues or that he is going to ignite the offense.

But instead, those that repeatedly stated he sucked will now be excited to add him to the roster.

Grant has been a solid back for us.. knows the offense.. it is a logical fit and there should be little doubt that he will provide some relief.

Note that yours truly has been a Grant supporter. Always.

I was wondering why he wasn't signed already. Think
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage

(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)

2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. Ted Thompson Mike McCarthy Aaron Rodgers
Offline beast  
#24 Posted : Wednesday, December 5, 2012 9:48:00 PM(UTC)
beast

Applause Given: 184
Applause Received: 270

I think all the Packers RBs are going to struggle this next game, because the Lions have a talented and strong DL going against the Packers OL which is injured and backed up. One of their talented DTs will be in a one on one against one of the Packers OG... thank goodness the Lions DE or DB aren't better...

Also last time, they chose to double team Suh and leave D-Smith one on one with Fairly... D-Smith is struggling and that didn't turn out too well. I'm not sure if this would do better... but I'm wondering if doubling Fairly and Sitton vs Suh one on one might be better for the Packers... not sure though... cause Suh is a beast... and he'll hit you where the sun don't shine.
America's team Of the people by the people for the people Packer People
UserPostedImage
~ madeby ~ pack93z ~
Online wpr  
#25 Posted : Wednesday, December 5, 2012 9:55:37 PM(UTC)
wpr

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 2,844
Applause Received: 1,370

Originally Posted by: beast Go to Quoted Post
I think all the Packers RBs are going to struggle this next game, because the Lions have a talented and strong DL going against the Packers OL which is injured and backed up. One of their talented DTs will be in a one on one against one of the Packers OG... thank goodness the Lions DE or DB aren't better...

Also last time, they chose to double team Suh and leave D-Smith one on one with Fairly... D-Smith is struggling and that didn't turn out too well. I'm not sure if this would do better... but I'm wondering if doubling Fairly and Sitton vs Suh one on one might be better for the Packers... not sure though... cause Suh is a beast... and he'll hit you where the sun don't shine.

he will also hit you when you are not looking. he will hit you after the whistle blows. he will hit you whenever he thinks he can get away with it. he will hit you even if he doesn't think he can get away with it.
"You don't hurt 'em if you don't hit 'em." Chesty Puller

UserPostedImage

Offline gbguy20  
#26 Posted : Thursday, December 6, 2012 11:51:54 AM(UTC)
gbguy20

Applause Given: 203
Applause Received: 284

Originally Posted by: buckeyepackfan Go to Quoted Post
Chris Mortenson just reported on ESPN he had just talked with RG last week wondering if any team had called him due to injuries, Ryan told Mort he was at the time heading to the gym to workout so he would be ready if anyone called.

That's not football shape, but considering he went through a training camp and was on the Redskins roster early in the season it shouldn't take him long to be ready.

Mortenson also reported that Ryan Grant received a standing ovation from all the players when he reported today for practice.

Grant was and is again an experienced vet younger guys look up to.

With the reports saying James Starks may be lost for the season, Ryan Grant could once again become a very important part of the running game in Green Bay.

Let's hope there is just enough left in the tank for RG to make a difference.

love it
call me Dan
Offline PackFanWithTwins  
#27 Posted : Thursday, December 6, 2012 11:59:51 AM(UTC)
PackFanWithTwins

Applause Given: 11
Applause Received: 352

Originally Posted by: beast Go to Quoted Post

Our running backs are going to struggle, and it has nothing to do with the defense. They are going to struggle because we can't block them for shit.

If we ran straight at them, we could take their athleticism out of the picture.
The world needs ditch diggers to Danny!!!
UserPostedImage
Offline Porforis  
#28 Posted : Thursday, December 6, 2012 12:02:25 PM(UTC)
Porforis

United States

Applause Given: 168
Applause Received: 333

I am changing my predictions after knowing that Saturday's dinged up and Starks is gone.

This will have more to do with playcalling. If McCarthy can spread out the defense both on the ground and in the air, most notably the defensive line, we'll have a lot more success. We're outmatched up front, and we need to wear down their D line early and limit ARod's vulnerability.
UserPostedImage
thanks Post received 1 applause.
nerdmann on 12/6/2012(UTC)
Offline buckeyepackfan  
#29 Posted : Thursday, December 6, 2012 2:35:36 PM(UTC)
buckeyepackfan

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2012Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2014

Applause Given: 273
Applause Received: 388

Originally Posted by: DakotaT Go to Quoted Post
Change the bong water Buckeye, if Grant gets 5 touches a game, I'll be surprised.

I really don't see Alex Green getting 30 touches per game.

I doubt RG will be ready for that many touches(10-15) this week, but I guess we'll just have to wait and see when The Pack plays The Bears and beyond.

From all I have read James Starks isn't coming back anytime soon, Ted didn't bring Ryan Grant back just to stand on the sidelines.

If Ryan Grant is anywhere near the RB he was at the end of last year, he will be effective enough.

Enjoy the ride – It kicks and just keeps on kickin’.
Offline Zero2Cool  
#30 Posted : Thursday, December 6, 2012 3:39:31 PM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 1,868
Applause Received: 2,044

Ryan Grant replaced the RB on IR, not James Starks. Grant is also averaging 5 yards a carry this season!!!
UserPostedImage
Rss Feed