Green Bay Packers Forum

Welcome to your Green Bay Packers Online Community!

Since 2006, PackersHome has been providing a unique experience for fans.
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
3 Pages<123
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline PackerTraxx  
#21 Posted : Monday, December 10, 2012 11:09:13 AM(UTC)

Applause Given: 113
Applause Received: 223
I think we have the makings of a very good line if we can get and stay healthy. Plus we have some possibilities to add depth, and maybe more, with Van Roten, Barclay and Datko. If we could pick up Kalid Holmes or Barrett Jones to have an outstanding center we would be in good shape for the future. We should have a good shot at doing this, even though we'll draft late, beacause teams don't usually value centers that highly. This is all assuming Bulaga and Sherrod will come back 100% from their injuries, which the team should have a pretty good idea of, based on rehab. I hope Ted Thompson can trade up and get what he wants likes last year with Heyward, we are more in need of quality not quanity with our window of opportunity at this point.
Offline play2win  
#22 Posted : Monday, December 10, 2012 11:24:15 AM(UTC)

United States
Applause Given: 1,076
Applause Received: 724
I'm going to say the entire issue has more to do with the game-time play calling than anything else. When we run the football, our OL really does look to play better, no matter who we have in there. Same follows suit when we do not run, our OL looks to be playing worse, no matter who we have in there.

I think Ted has done well in drafting Bulaga, and Sherrod to anchor the outside of our line. Lang was a great addition, and Sitton is exceptional. Saturday was a good option for a veteran presence after letting Wells go for more dough. As things turned out, Sherrod has hardly seen the field since his drafting due to the unfortunate compound fracture of his leg. Bulaga was one of our best OL prior to his injury. I do think Newhouse has played very well as a starter, for the most part. Especially if you consider he may be at his peak, going up against superior talent. All the while, the kid is showing improvement, and is staying on the field, contributing to GB's success.

We call out Campen a lot. I don't much care for him, except when they play well, and we pile up yds rushing the football, and Rodgers stays relatively clean... then there is nothing to complain about. So, this makes me think it has more to do with how the offense is called, more than the talent or prep.

Marshall Newhouse is not your top tier talent at LT. Neither is Don Barclay at RT. But, if we keep running, and winning, we won't be calling out Campen, or McCarthy, or Clements or Thompson, at all, for anything but praise, and a job well done. Running the football, like Guiness, is good for you!
thanks Post received 1 applause.
nerdmann on 12/10/2012(UTC)
Offline nerdmann  
#23 Posted : Monday, December 10, 2012 2:18:26 PM(UTC)

Applause Given: 5,257
Applause Received: 1,229
play2win said: Go to Quoted Post
I'm going to say the entire issue has more to do with the game-time play calling than anything else. When we run the football, our OL really does look to play better, no matter who we have in there. Same follows suit when we do not run, our OL looks to be playing worse, no matter who we have in there.

I think Ted has done well in drafting Bulaga, and Sherrod to anchor the outside of our line. Lang was a great addition, and Sitton is exceptional. Saturday was a good option for a veteran presence after letting Wells go for more dough. As things turned out, Sherrod has hardly seen the field since his drafting due to the unfortunate compound fracture of his leg. Bulaga was one of our best OL prior to his injury. I do think Newhouse has played very well as a starter, for the most part. Especially if you consider he may be at his peak, going up against superior talent. All the while, the kid is showing improvement, and is staying on the field, contributing to GB's success.

We call out Campen a lot. I don't much care for him, except when they play well, and we pile up yds rushing the football, and Rodgers stays relatively clean... then there is nothing to complain about. So, this makes me think it has more to do with how the offense is called, more than the talent or prep.

Marshall Newhouse is not your top tier talent at LT. Neither is Don Barclay at RT. But, if we keep running, and winning, we won't be calling out Campen, or McCarthy, or Clements or Thompson, at all, for anything but praise, and a job well done. Running the football, like Guiness, is good for you!

Agreed. I've shit talked Campen as much as (or more than) anyone.

But Barclay is stepping up and getting it done. I daresay our RBs are actually getting a chance to show what they can do. At least somewhat consistently. It's great to see.

I mean let's get real. Barclay is our #5 T. Newhouse is our #3, and we're still just about ready to clinch the division and vie for #2 seed.

Now I honestly put alot of this on Ted. But you gotta give Campen some due.
Offline play2win  
#24 Posted : Monday, December 10, 2012 5:46:55 PM(UTC)

United States
Applause Given: 1,076
Applause Received: 724
I will say this: I was impressed as Hell at Washington's showing last week v. NYG, especially when focusing on their zone blocking schemes, and their run heavy play options and play calling. I've never felt that our Packers have successfully mastered zone blocking on this level. It would be nice to get our OL performing like an unbeatable machine, but I think that will require additional players, better coaching, and a better, more consistent commitment to calling the run.

Simply calling more run plays will make our OL more effective all around, more proficient. I'm hoping we see a lot of this, and run our way straight to another Lombardi Trophy.

So, I guess to answer the question of the thread: both, with a heavier emphasis on the coaching and play calling. I think Ted has actually added some gems, and that our staff has done a decent job getting everyone ready. Call more runs and the game itself changes. The opponent wears down in rushing your QB, and everybody, on your O and D wins.

But, fail to stick with it, and we get the inverse. I don't want to see that again.
Rss Feed