Green Bay Packers Forum

Welcome to your Green Bay Packers Online Community!

Since 2006, PackersHome has been providing a unique experience for fans.
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Mattheiw  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, December 12, 2012 11:37:13 PM(UTC)

Algeria
I would take whichever the D gives you and use the other to keep them off balance.
Offline blueleopard  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, December 12, 2012 11:42:15 PM(UTC)

Applause Given: 1
Applause Received: 164
I don't know how this relates to the Packers.

But didn't you see how Rodgers got sacked 8x in the first half against Seattle?

That's why you establish the run first. Balance. Like you said.
thanks Post received 1 applause.
nerdmann on 12/13/2012(UTC)
Offline Pack93z  
#3 Posted : Thursday, December 13, 2012 7:04:44 AM(UTC)

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Bronze: 2012

United States
Applause Given: 436
Applause Received: 1,227
I will not buy into putting one first over the other.. pass or run first.

But the key is to have balance in any shape while picking their bones clean upon their weaknesses or where you may have a matchup advantage.

There are teams in which you can get away with being unbalanced.. but there are teams in which you have to maintain balance to counter their strengths. Currently a team like the Giants are a defense in which you have to maintain balance or they are going to eat your passing game alive.

Example.

In the Giants 8 wins.. the opposition had a pass ratio of over 60%.. and the Giants win by an average of over 2 touchdowns.

However int he Giants 5 losses.. they have a point margin of -5.. but the pass ratio of the opposition in those game is ~49.5%.

If you are going to beat that team, your better odds are to remain balanced to keep that pass rush at bay.
Dulak on 8/15/2013(UTC)
Offline PackFanWithTwins  
#4 Posted : Thursday, December 13, 2012 8:28:05 AM(UTC)

Applause Given: 24
Applause Received: 918
Defenses basically have one extra player because they don't have to match up with the QB. And defense typically uses that extra man in pass coverage (fs). They will start the game trying to stop the run with equal numbers, 7 on 7, 8 on 8. The reason they say run first, is because if they can run when the numbers are equal, it forces the defense to bring that extra man up for run support opening up the passing game. single coverage on everybody.

There are exceptions like MN and other running teams where defenses will stack the box to begin until the offense can prove they can beat the single coverage.
Pack93z on 12/13/2012(UTC)
Offline Pack93z  
#5 Posted : Thursday, December 13, 2012 8:41:13 AM(UTC)

United States
PackFanWithTwins said: Go to Quoted Post
Defenses basically have one extra player because they don't have to match up with the QB. And defense typically uses that extra man in pass coverage (fs). They will start the game trying to stop the run with equal numbers, 7 on 7, 8 on 8. The reason they say run first, is because if they can run when the numbers are equal, it forces the defense to bring that extra man up for run support opening up the passing game. single coverage on everybody.

There are exceptions like MN and other running teams where defenses will stack the box to begin until the offense can prove they can beat the single coverage.

Agreed in concept and why they state it to be... but I have been a fan of the scripting of the first 15 to prod the defense a bit and to gauge how they are reacting to formations, movement and the plays themselves based on film study and tenancies. Getting a feel for their game plan while planting seeds to be cultivated later.

I think the a more prudent method than trying to force one aspect or another of your offense.

Hence.. not buying into one before the other.. attack the defensive schemes specifically.
Offline PackFanWithTwins  
#6 Posted : Thursday, December 13, 2012 9:08:23 AM(UTC)

Pack93z said: Go to Quoted Post
Agreed in concept and why they state it to be... but I have been a fan of the scripting of the first 15 to prod the defense a bit and to gauge how they are reacting to formations, movement and the plays themselves based on film study and tenancies. Getting a feel for their game plan while planting seeds to be cultivated later.

I think the a more prudent method than trying to force one aspect or another of your offense.

Hence.. not buying into one before the other.. attack the defensive schemes specifically.

I hate the term scripting. Because it makes people think it is we are going to run these plays in this order and that is incorrect. In reality all that is scripted is one play, and after that, it is a selection of plays based on situation, down and distance.

First play, breaks for huge gain and gets down to the 1. 2nd play of script is 5 wide all running 15 yard routes. Going to look really funny.
Offline Pack93z  
#7 Posted : Thursday, December 13, 2012 9:39:56 AM(UTC)

United States
I hate the term scripting. Because it makes people think it is we are going to run these plays in this order and that is incorrect. In reality all that is scripted is one play, and after that, it is a selection of plays based on situation, down and distance.

First play, breaks for huge gain and gets down to the 1. 2nd play of script is 5 wide all running 15 yard routes. Going to look really funny.

Of course it is not completely static.. but they are more inter joined than the remainder of the play calling going forward.

So what else should it be called? An Array of plays? lol.. Scripting is a term that is used and people are going to get the idea.

But the concept is early to force different looks to force the defense to show their hand.
Offline PackFanWithTwins  
#8 Posted : Thursday, December 13, 2012 11:42:41 AM(UTC)

Of course it is not completely static.. but they are more inter joined than the remainder of the play calling going forward.

So what else should it be called? An Array of plays? lol.. Scripting is a term that is used and people are going to get the idea.

But the concept is early to force different looks to force the defense to show their hand.

Depends how the "script" is planned.

It can be scripted as run first, to try and get the safety into the box, or it can be scripted pass first to get the safety out of the box. Or it can be scripted balanced. It can be scripted for specific mix of formations to see the defenses response. Or it can be scripted as, if they do this we do that. The script is also sometimes to setup plays later on. Run a bunch of slants early, so the slugo is available later.

The script, is just the beginning of a gameplan. And all it should be called is teh plan.
Offline Pack93z  
#9 Posted : Thursday, December 13, 2012 11:49:08 AM(UTC)

United States

The script, is just the beginning of a gameplan. And all it should be called is teh plan.

Saying the same thing .. just different words. Hence why I used the term scripting, usually the first x amount of plays. Not the entire game plan.

But the "plan" within the overall "game plan".. lol... fine, most refer to it as a script with the understanding that it is not static.

But I know what you are saying.. some take that literally.

Now.. can we start to rename other terms that don't literally mean what they are labeled. ;)
Offline PackFanWithTwins  
#10 Posted : Thursday, December 13, 2012 12:21:00 PM(UTC)

Saying the same thing .. just different words. Hence why I used the term scripting, usually the first x amount of plays. Not the entire game plan.

But the "plan" within the overall "game plan".. lol... fine, most refer to it as a script with the understanding that it is not static.

But I know what you are saying.. some take that literally.

Now.. can we start to rename other terms that don't literally mean what they are labeled. ;)

It wouldn't surprise me if some people think a punt is part of the script.
Rss Feed