Join Our Green Bay Packers Interactive Community!

We have been providing fans with the best source of Packers information since 2006!
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Mattheiw  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, December 12, 2012 11:37:13 PM(UTC)
Mattheiw

Algeria

I would take whichever the D gives you and use the other to keep them off balance.
Offline blueleopard  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, December 12, 2012 11:42:15 PM(UTC)
blueleopard

Applause Received: 70

I don't know how this relates to the Packers.

But didn't you see how Rodgers got sacked 8x in the first half against Seattle?

That's why you establish the run first. Balance. Like you said.
Danreb Victorio A Believer of Greg Jennings
thanks Post received 1 applause.
nerdmann on 12/13/2012(UTC)
Offline Pack93z  
#3 Posted : Thursday, December 13, 2012 7:04:44 AM(UTC)
Pack93z

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Bronze: 2012

United States

Applause Given: 397
Applause Received: 1,075

I will not buy into putting one first over the other.. pass or run first.

But the key is to have balance in any shape while picking their bones clean upon their weaknesses or where you may have a matchup advantage.

There are teams in which you can get away with being unbalanced.. but there are teams in which you have to maintain balance to counter their strengths. Currently a team like the Giants are a defense in which you have to maintain balance or they are going to eat your passing game alive.

Example.

In the Giants 8 wins.. the opposition had a pass ratio of over 60%.. and the Giants win by an average of over 2 touchdowns.

However int he Giants 5 losses.. they have a point margin of -5.. but the pass ratio of the opposition in those game is ~49.5%.

If you are going to beat that team, your better odds are to remain balanced to keep that pass rush at bay.
I think when there's enough will and aggression, there's no shortage of talent either.

UserPostedImage
Dulak on 8/15/2013(UTC)
Offline PackFanWithTwins  
#4 Posted : Thursday, December 13, 2012 8:28:05 AM(UTC)
PackFanWithTwins

Applause Given: 13
Applause Received: 371

Defenses basically have one extra player because they don't have to match up with the QB. And defense typically uses that extra man in pass coverage (fs). They will start the game trying to stop the run with equal numbers, 7 on 7, 8 on 8. The reason they say run first, is because if they can run when the numbers are equal, it forces the defense to bring that extra man up for run support opening up the passing game. single coverage on everybody.

There are exceptions like MN and other running teams where defenses will stack the box to begin until the offense can prove they can beat the single coverage.
The world needs ditch diggers to Danny!!!
UserPostedImage
Pack93z on 12/13/2012(UTC)
Offline Pack93z  
#5 Posted : Thursday, December 13, 2012 8:41:13 AM(UTC)
Pack93z

United States

Originally Posted by: PackFanWithTwins Go to Quoted Post
Defenses basically have one extra player because they don't have to match up with the QB. And defense typically uses that extra man in pass coverage (fs). They will start the game trying to stop the run with equal numbers, 7 on 7, 8 on 8. The reason they say run first, is because if they can run when the numbers are equal, it forces the defense to bring that extra man up for run support opening up the passing game. single coverage on everybody.

There are exceptions like MN and other running teams where defenses will stack the box to begin until the offense can prove they can beat the single coverage.

Agreed in concept and why they state it to be... but I have been a fan of the scripting of the first 15 to prod the defense a bit and to gauge how they are reacting to formations, movement and the plays themselves based on film study and tenancies. Getting a feel for their game plan while planting seeds to be cultivated later.

I think the a more prudent method than trying to force one aspect or another of your offense.

Hence.. not buying into one before the other.. attack the defensive schemes specifically.
I think when there's enough will and aggression, there's no shortage of talent either.

UserPostedImage
Offline PackFanWithTwins  
#6 Posted : Thursday, December 13, 2012 9:08:23 AM(UTC)
PackFanWithTwins

Originally Posted by: Pack93z Go to Quoted Post
Agreed in concept and why they state it to be... but I have been a fan of the scripting of the first 15 to prod the defense a bit and to gauge how they are reacting to formations, movement and the plays themselves based on film study and tenancies. Getting a feel for their game plan while planting seeds to be cultivated later.

I think the a more prudent method than trying to force one aspect or another of your offense.

Hence.. not buying into one before the other.. attack the defensive schemes specifically.

I hate the term scripting. Because it makes people think it is we are going to run these plays in this order and that is incorrect. In reality all that is scripted is one play, and after that, it is a selection of plays based on situation, down and distance.

First play, breaks for huge gain and gets down to the 1. 2nd play of script is 5 wide all running 15 yard routes. Going to look really funny.
UserPostedImage
Offline Pack93z  
#7 Posted : Thursday, December 13, 2012 9:39:56 AM(UTC)
Pack93z

United States

I hate the term scripting. Because it makes people think it is we are going to run these plays in this order and that is incorrect. In reality all that is scripted is one play, and after that, it is a selection of plays based on situation, down and distance.

First play, breaks for huge gain and gets down to the 1. 2nd play of script is 5 wide all running 15 yard routes. Going to look really funny.

Of course it is not completely static.. but they are more inter joined than the remainder of the play calling going forward.

So what else should it be called? An Array of plays? lol.. Scripting is a term that is used and people are going to get the idea.

But the concept is early to force different looks to force the defense to show their hand.

Message modified by user Thursday, December 13, 2012 11:13:15 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

UserPostedImage
Offline PackFanWithTwins  
#8 Posted : Thursday, December 13, 2012 11:42:41 AM(UTC)
PackFanWithTwins

Of course it is not completely static.. but they are more inter joined than the remainder of the play calling going forward.

So what else should it be called? An Array of plays? lol.. Scripting is a term that is used and people are going to get the idea.

But the concept is early to force different looks to force the defense to show their hand.

Depends how the "script" is planned.

It can be scripted as run first, to try and get the safety into the box, or it can be scripted pass first to get the safety out of the box. Or it can be scripted balanced. It can be scripted for specific mix of formations to see the defenses response. Or it can be scripted as, if they do this we do that. The script is also sometimes to setup plays later on. Run a bunch of slants early, so the slugo is available later.

The script, is just the beginning of a gameplan. And all it should be called is teh plan.
UserPostedImage
Offline Pack93z  
#9 Posted : Thursday, December 13, 2012 11:49:08 AM(UTC)
Pack93z

United States

The script, is just the beginning of a gameplan. And all it should be called is teh plan.

Saying the same thing .. just different words. Hence why I used the term scripting, usually the first x amount of plays. Not the entire game plan.

But the "plan" within the overall "game plan".. lol... fine, most refer to it as a script with the understanding that it is not static.

But I know what you are saying.. some take that literally.

Now.. can we start to rename other terms that don't literally mean what they are labeled. ;)

Message modified by user Thursday, December 13, 2012 12:01:20 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

UserPostedImage
Offline PackFanWithTwins  
#10 Posted : Thursday, December 13, 2012 12:21:00 PM(UTC)
PackFanWithTwins

Saying the same thing .. just different words. Hence why I used the term scripting, usually the first x amount of plays. Not the entire game plan.

But the "plan" within the overall "game plan".. lol... fine, most refer to it as a script with the understanding that it is not static.

But I know what you are saying.. some take that literally.

Now.. can we start to rename other terms that don't literally mean what they are labeled. ;)

It wouldn't surprise me if some people think a punt is part of the script.
UserPostedImage
Offline Pack93z  
#11 Posted : Thursday, December 13, 2012 12:23:17 PM(UTC)
Pack93z

United States

It wouldn't surprise me if some people think a punt is part of the script.

LOL.. no matter the term.. some things cannot be avoided.

UserPostedImage
Offline stevegb  
#12 Posted : Thursday, December 13, 2012 10:48:25 PM(UTC)
stevegb

Applause Given: 11
Applause Received: 10

It's not really about establishing the run first, its more about establishing the run period. I think its just easier to establish the run earlier rather than later because earlier the clock isn't so much a factor and when your down and your trying to establish the run after lets say, half time the time is a factor and you tend to fall on the pass because not only does it usually make for a bigger yardage gain if there is an incomplete pass it kills the clock.
blank
Pack93z on 12/14/2012(UTC)
Offline Cheesey  
#13 Posted : Saturday, December 15, 2012 12:26:10 PM(UTC)
Cheesey

Applause Given: 183
Applause Received: 411

My opinion is this: With the Packers WR's, (and Aaron Rodgers as QB) you know that defenses will key on stopping the pass. If you can mix it up and gain yards on the ground, defenses can't just pin their ears back and go after your passing game.
It opens up the passing game that much more.
Thus, the "need" to be able to gash them with the run.
UserPostedImage
yooperfan on 12/15/2012(UTC)
Offline zombieslayer  
#14 Posted : Saturday, December 15, 2012 6:59:27 PM(UTC)
zombieslayer

Applause Given: 778
Applause Received: 495

There is no need to do anything. All that stuff is mental masturbation at best.

You do what you do best and/or exploit what the D can't defend.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage

(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)

2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. Ted Thompson Mike McCarthy Aaron Rodgers
Offline Zero2Cool  
#15 Posted : Thursday, August 15, 2013 6:37:00 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 1,955
Applause Received: 2,186

Always pass first. The QB is the most important player and should be used as early an often as possible.
UserPostedImage
Rss Feed