Discussion Board
Welcome Guest! You can login or register. Login or Register.
7 Pages«<4567>

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
wpr  
#101 Posted : Monday, December 17, 2012 6:45:38 AM(UTC)
K_Buz said: Go to Quoted Post
There are some decent names on that list.

The list is FA who will be available after the 2012 season.
User is suspended until 5/28/2018 11:54:40 AM(UTC) DakotaT  
#102 Posted : Monday, December 17, 2012 6:56:46 AM(UTC)
Wade said: Go to Quoted Post
Four reasons to keep Mason Crosby:

4. It'll give Joe Buck and Troy Aikman and Jimmy Johnson fits.
3. Unlike Ryan "The Dome" Longwell, he doesn't blame his holder.
2. Anyone remember the years when the Packers would have died to have a 70% field goal percentage? (Hint: The quinquennium including the Tom Birney period.0
1. Chester Marcol refuses to come out of retirement.

Of course the youngins in here don't remember #2. They think Packer football started with Brett Favre. It's kind of like asking a rich kid if he knows what a backache is.
steveishere  
#103 Posted : Monday, December 17, 2012 7:09:54 AM(UTC)
http://www.nfl.com/video...3/Crosby-43-yd-missed-FG

That is seriously just a horrible kick. It reminded me of the offensive lineman trying to kick field goals at family night.
musccy  
#104 Posted : Monday, December 17, 2012 7:12:37 AM(UTC)
I agree to an extent with porforis' "grass isn't greener" argument solely because I believe Crosby CAN be one of the best kickers in the league and it'd be a shame to have to lose that potential. However, it is obvious his confidence for the foreseeable future is gone with no evidence from the last 2 months that it's going to change during the 2012 season.

Also, steveishere- shawn suisham (spelling?) Missed one MUCH worse than crosby in the super bowl!
wpr  
#105 Posted : Monday, December 17, 2012 9:41:12 AM(UTC)
musccy said: Go to Quoted Post
I agree to an extent with porforis' "grass isn't greener" argument solely because I believe Crosby CAN be one of the best kickers in the league and it'd be a shame to have to lose that potential. However, it is obvious his confidence for the foreseeable future is gone with no evidence from the last 2 months that it's going to change during the 2012 season.

Also, steveishere- shawn suisham (spelling?) Missed one MUCH worse than crosby in the super bowl!

He is one of the better kickers. It is a mental thing. If he gets a fresh start with another team next year he will do fine. I don't know he will be fine if he stays in GB. I don't know that he will be of any benefit to GB in the playoffs this year.
PackerTraxx  
#106 Posted : Monday, December 17, 2012 10:09:27 AM(UTC)
Why doesn't he spend some time with the "kicking Guru". I can't recall his name - maybe Sailor? I mean the guy earns a million plus, wouldn't it be worth thousands to protect that job? I like Crosby because he's not a complainer, keeps plugging and especially his let strength. But results are what count.
musccy  
#107 Posted : Monday, December 17, 2012 10:11:35 AM(UTC)
Heretofore I haven't looked up the stats of kickers in 2012, but when I looked, it stunned me how bad he is compared to other kickers in the league.

In terms of fg %, of the 37 kickers who have attempted a kick this year, only 1 is worse than Crosby, and he no longer kicks for his team (Cundiff), and Crosby is only .3% better than he was.

No other kicker in the league is below 70% (Crosby is at 58.6%) and 29 of the 37 kickers are above 80%.

NFL kickers 2012

rabidgopher04  
#108 Posted : Monday, December 17, 2012 10:22:30 AM(UTC)
I'd like to see the Packers bring in Neil Rackers. He's still a decent kicker. Crosby can do kickoffs or be put on the PUP list (because obviously he is unable to perform).

Maybe Mike McCarthy just needs to show Crosby videos of when he was a beast last year and that will inspire him like Finley. Is it his mechanics? Maybe he just needs more practice not hooking the ball.
Porforis  
#109 Posted : Monday, December 17, 2012 10:24:41 AM(UTC)
rabidgopher04 said: Go to Quoted Post
Maybe Mike McCarthy just needs to show Crosby videos of when he was a beast last year and that will inspire him like Finley.

Maybe he can start doing Finley's rooster dance everytime he makes a PAT, too.
rabidgopher04  
#110 Posted : Monday, December 17, 2012 10:28:45 AM(UTC)
Porforis said: Go to Quoted Post
Maybe he can start doing Finley's rooster dance everytime he makes a PAT, too.

It might help him loosen up. [grin1]
musccy  
#111 Posted : Monday, December 17, 2012 10:35:19 AM(UTC)
rabidgopher04 said: Go to Quoted Post
Crosby can... be put on the PUP list (because obviously he is unable to perform).

This made me LOL, well done.

Looking at his first shank, it seemed like he leaned back quite a bit and never followed through at all. I'm by no means a ST coach, but I've kicked enough soccer and footballs to know that if you arch your body back about 20+ degrees, you're not going to have much control over where the ball goes.
Zero2Cool  
#112 Posted : Monday, December 17, 2012 11:05:16 AM(UTC)
I noticed Crosby doesn't seem to follow through on his kicks. I'm not sure if its something new or something I just noticed a month or so ago because of the shankatrophic kicks. I was always taught to follow through, be it kicking, punching, throwing, punting, golf swing, etc...
DanJustDan29  
#113 Posted : Monday, December 17, 2012 11:45:29 AM(UTC)
He is a joke. Pitchers get dead arm, I think Bill Cosby has a dead leg.
musccy  
#114 Posted : Monday, December 17, 2012 12:10:11 PM(UTC)
DanJustDan29 said: Go to Quoted Post
He is a joke. Pitchers get dead arm, I think Bill Cosby has a dead leg.

I don't doubt that he has a "dead leg" but wouldn't that be expected from a 75 year old comedian?

doddpower  
#115 Posted : Monday, December 17, 2012 12:50:09 PM(UTC)
I'm not getting the continued confidence, either. I can get it to a point, but where does it end? How many kicks does he have to miss until another option is looked into it? It just doesn't make sense. I basically see what Mike McCarthy is saying as "No matter how bad Crosby is and regardless of how many kicks he misses, he will be our kicker for the entire season and playoffs." Where's the accountability? Competition? At this point, it just seems like the guy is being hung out to dry with every kick. I want a kicker that is dependable from 40-45 yards and closer. I don't really care if he's not that good outside of that. If we're out of his range, we have a potent offense to go for it on forth down, or simply punt and pin them deep. It's not like having a strong leg kicker is giving us any advantage at this point, as it is.

Repeatedly stating "he has to make those kicks" after multiple misses is meaningless. He has to make those kicks, or what? At this point, there is no or what. Status quo. It's truly surprising. Does anyone really believe if a game or especially a playoff game was a on the line, Crosby would handle the pressure? Give me a break. What a joke!
wpr  
#116 Posted : Monday, December 17, 2012 1:06:09 PM(UTC)
doddpower said: Go to Quoted Post
I'm not getting the continued confidence, either. I can get it to a point, but where does it end? How many kicks does he have to miss until another option is looked into it? It just doesn't make sense. I basically see what Mike McCarthy is saying as "No matter how bad Crosby is and regardless of how many kicks he misses, he will be our kicker for the entire season and playoffs." Where's the accountability? Competition? At this point, it just seems like the guy is being hung out to dry with every kick. I want a kicker that is dependable from 40-45 yards and closer. I don't really care if he's not that good outside of that. If we're out of his range, we have a potent offense to go for it on forth down, or simply punt and pin them deep. It's not like having a strong leg kicker is giving us any advantage at this point, as it is.

Repeatedly stating "he has to make those kicks" after multiple misses is meaningless. He has to make those kicks, or what? At this point, there is no or what. Status quo. It's truly surprising. Does anyone really believe if a game or especially a playoff game was a on the line, Crosby would handle the pressure? Give me a break. What a joke!

He can't do any worse than he already has done in regards to handling the pressure.
PackFanWithTwins  
#117 Posted : Monday, December 17, 2012 1:15:49 PM(UTC)
Zero2Cool said: Go to Quoted Post
I noticed Crosby doesn't seem to follow through on his kicks. I'm not sure if its something new or something I just noticed a month or so ago because of the shankatrophic kicks. I was always taught to follow through, be it kicking, punching, throwing, punting, golf swing, etc...

He follows through about the same as most kickers today. You don't see a high leg kick follow through like a punter because of the side step. Jason hanson has the highest I can think of and his is still about belly high.

this week has been the first time he just seemed to purely miss. The first was simply a pushed attempt. Looked like the kicker version of Not keeping his head down. Where he previous misses where knuckle balls. The second miss was probably over compensation.
Yerko  
#118 Posted : Monday, December 17, 2012 1:30:23 PM(UTC)
I can only draw one conclusion from the Packers continually having Crosby's back...

Crosby has obscene pictures of McCarthy from post Super Bowl celebration 2 years ago. :-"
wpr  
#119 Posted : Monday, December 17, 2012 1:55:26 PM(UTC)
Yerko said: Go to Quoted Post
I can only draw one conclusion from the Packers continually having Crosby's back...

Crosby has obscene pictures of McCarthy from post Super Bowl celebration 2 years ago. :-"

If it is a SB celebration all is forgiven.
doddpower  
#120 Posted : Monday, December 17, 2012 2:03:24 PM(UTC)
wpr said: Go to Quoted Post
He can't do any worse than he already has done in regards to handling the pressure.

Exactly, which is horrible and should be unacceptable, imo. I just don't see how anyone on the team could have any faith in him making crucial kicks in the playoffs, including himself. I just don't get how they stick with that. At the absolute very least, they should have been trying out kickers for a few weeks now. Doing nothing seems like somethings that's going to come back to haunt the Packers sooner rather than later.

Rss Feed