Join Our Green Bay Packers Interactive Community!

We have been providing fans with the best source of Packers information since 2006!
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
6 Pages«<3456>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline wpr  
#101 Posted : Monday, December 17, 2012 6:45:38 AM(UTC)
wpr

Rank: Hall of Famer

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States
Joined: 8/8/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 3,152
Applause Received: 1,522

Originally Posted by: K_Buz Go to Quoted Post
There are some decent names on that list.


The list is FA who will be available after the 2012 season.
UserPostedImage

"Will you follow me, one last time?" Thorin Oakenshield
Offline DakotaT  
#102 Posted : Monday, December 17, 2012 6:56:46 AM(UTC)
DakotaT

Rank: Super Bowl MVP

Joined: 8/18/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 668
Applause Received: 1,373

Originally Posted by: Wade Go to Quoted Post
Four reasons to keep Mason Crosby:

4. It'll give Joe Buck and Troy Aikman and Jimmy Johnson fits.
3. Unlike Ryan "The Dome" Longwell, he doesn't blame his holder.
2. Anyone remember the years when the Packers would have died to have a 70% field goal percentage? (Hint: The quinquennium including the Tom Birney period.0
1. Chester Marcol refuses to come out of retirement.


Of course the youngins in here don't remember #2. They think Packer football started with Brett Favre. It's kind of like asking a rich kid if he knows what a backache is.
UserPostedImage
Offline steveishere  
#103 Posted : Monday, December 17, 2012 7:09:54 AM(UTC)
steveishere

Rank: 2nd Round Draft Pick

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2013

Joined: 7/28/2012(UTC)

Applause Given: 48
Applause Received: 981

http://www.nfl.com/video...3/Crosby-43-yd-missed-FG

That is seriously just a horrible kick. It reminded me of the offensive lineman trying to kick field goals at family night.
Offline musccy  
#104 Posted : Monday, December 17, 2012 7:12:37 AM(UTC)
musccy

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

Joined: 5/7/2009(UTC)
Location: Pennsylvania

Applause Given: 251
Applause Received: 234

I agree to an extent with porforis' "grass isn't greener" argument solely because I believe Crosby CAN be one of the best kickers in the league and it'd be a shame to have to lose that potential. However, it is obvious his confidence for the foreseeable future is gone with no evidence from the last 2 months that it's going to change during the 2012 season.

Also, steveishere- shawn suisham (spelling?) Missed one MUCH worse than crosby in the super bowl!
Offline wpr  
#105 Posted : Monday, December 17, 2012 9:41:12 AM(UTC)
wpr

Rank: Hall of Famer

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States
Joined: 8/8/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 3,152
Applause Received: 1,522

Originally Posted by: musccy Go to Quoted Post
I agree to an extent with porforis' "grass isn't greener" argument solely because I believe Crosby CAN be one of the best kickers in the league and it'd be a shame to have to lose that potential. However, it is obvious his confidence for the foreseeable future is gone with no evidence from the last 2 months that it's going to change during the 2012 season.

Also, steveishere- shawn suisham (spelling?) Missed one MUCH worse than crosby in the super bowl!


He is one of the better kickers. It is a mental thing. If he gets a fresh start with another team next year he will do fine. I don't know he will be fine if he stays in GB. I don't know that he will be of any benefit to GB in the playoffs this year.
UserPostedImage

"Will you follow me, one last time?" Thorin Oakenshield
Offline PackerTraxx  
#106 Posted : Monday, December 17, 2012 10:09:27 AM(UTC)
PackerTraxx

Rank: 2nd Round Draft Pick

Joined: 8/13/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 18
Applause Received: 127

Why doesn't he spend some time with the "kicking Guru". I can't recall his name - maybe Sailor? I mean the guy earns a million plus, wouldn't it be worth thousands to protect that job? I like Crosby because he's not a complainer, keeps plugging and especially his let strength. But results are what count.
Why is Jerry Kramer not in the Hall of Fame?
Offline musccy  
#107 Posted : Monday, December 17, 2012 10:11:35 AM(UTC)
musccy

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

Joined: 5/7/2009(UTC)
Location: Pennsylvania

Applause Given: 251
Applause Received: 234

Heretofore I haven't looked up the stats of kickers in 2012, but when I looked, it stunned me how bad he is compared to other kickers in the league.

In terms of fg %, of the 37 kickers who have attempted a kick this year, only 1 is worse than Crosby, and he no longer kicks for his team (Cundiff), and Crosby is only .3% better than he was.

No other kicker in the league is below 70% (Crosby is at 58.6%) and 29 of the 37 kickers are above 80%.

NFL kickers 2012

Offline rabidgopher04  
#108 Posted : Monday, December 17, 2012 10:22:30 AM(UTC)
rabidgopher04

Rank: 4th Round Draft Pick

Joined: 8/7/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 113
Applause Received: 127

I'd like to see the Packers bring in Neil Rackers. He's still a decent kicker. Crosby can do kickoffs or be put on the PUP list (because obviously he is unable to perform).

Maybe Mike McCarthy just needs to show Crosby videos of when he was a beast last year and that will inspire him like Finley. Is it his mechanics? Maybe he just needs more practice not hooking the ball.
Do you like bacon?
Offline Porforis  
#109 Posted : Monday, December 17, 2012 10:24:41 AM(UTC)
Porforis

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

United States
Joined: 8/22/2009(UTC)
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Applause Given: 169
Applause Received: 333

Originally Posted by: rabidgopher04 Go to Quoted Post
Maybe Mike McCarthy just needs to show Crosby videos of when he was a beast last year and that will inspire him like Finley.


Maybe he can start doing Finley's rooster dance everytime he makes a PAT, too.
UserPostedImage
Offline rabidgopher04  
#110 Posted : Monday, December 17, 2012 10:28:45 AM(UTC)
rabidgopher04

Rank: 4th Round Draft Pick

Joined: 8/7/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 113
Applause Received: 127

Originally Posted by: Porforis Go to Quoted Post
Maybe he can start doing Finley's rooster dance everytime he makes a PAT, too.


It might help him loosen up. Big Grin
Do you like bacon?
Offline musccy  
#111 Posted : Monday, December 17, 2012 10:35:19 AM(UTC)
musccy

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

Joined: 5/7/2009(UTC)
Location: Pennsylvania

Applause Given: 251
Applause Received: 234

Originally Posted by: rabidgopher04 Go to Quoted Post
Crosby can... be put on the PUP list (because obviously he is unable to perform).

.


This made me LOL, well done.

Looking at his first shank, it seemed like he leaned back quite a bit and never followed through at all. I'm by no means a ST coach, but I've kicked enough soccer and footballs to know that if you arch your body back about 20+ degrees, you're not going to have much control over where the ball goes.
Offline Zero2Cool  
#112 Posted : Monday, December 17, 2012 11:05:16 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Rank: Legend

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States
Joined: 10/13/2006(UTC)
Location: Green Bay, WI

Applause Given: 1,968
Applause Received: 2,226

I noticed Crosby doesn't seem to follow through on his kicks. I'm not sure if its something new or something I just noticed a month or so ago because of the shankatrophic kicks. I was always taught to follow through, be it kicking, punching, throwing, punting, golf swing, etc...
"I do not think there is any thrill that can go through the human heart like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything." - Nikola Tesla

UserPostedImage
Offline DanJustDan29  
#113 Posted : Monday, December 17, 2012 11:45:29 AM(UTC)
DanJustDan29

Rank: 6th Round Draft Pick

Joined: 10/12/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 3
Applause Received: 7

He is a joke. Pitchers get dead arm, I think Bill Cosby has a dead leg.
Teamwork is what the Green Bay Packers were all about. They didn't do it for individual glory. They did it because they loved one another. -Vince Lombardi
Offline musccy  
#114 Posted : Monday, December 17, 2012 12:10:11 PM(UTC)
musccy

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

Joined: 5/7/2009(UTC)
Location: Pennsylvania

Applause Given: 251
Applause Received: 234

Originally Posted by: DanJustDan29 Go to Quoted Post
He is a joke. Pitchers get dead arm, I think Bill Cosby has a dead leg.


I don't doubt that he has a "dead leg" but wouldn't that be expected from a 75 year old comedian?

Offline doddpower  
#115 Posted : Monday, December 17, 2012 12:50:09 PM(UTC)
DoddPower

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2011

United States
Joined: 9/24/2007(UTC)
Location: Visalia, CA

Applause Given: 2,093
Applause Received: 530

I'm not getting the continued confidence, either. I can get it to a point, but where does it end? How many kicks does he have to miss until another option is looked into it? It just doesn't make sense. I basically see what Mike McCarthy is saying as "No matter how bad Crosby is and regardless of how many kicks he misses, he will be our kicker for the entire season and playoffs." Where's the accountability? Competition? At this point, it just seems like the guy is being hung out to dry with every kick. I want a kicker that is dependable from 40-45 yards and closer. I don't really care if he's not that good outside of that. If we're out of his range, we have a potent offense to go for it on forth down, or simply punt and pin them deep. It's not like having a strong leg kicker is giving us any advantage at this point, as it is.

Repeatedly stating "he has to make those kicks" after multiple misses is meaningless. He has to make those kicks, or what? At this point, there is no or what. Status quo. It's truly surprising. Does anyone really believe if a game or especially a playoff game was a on the line, Crosby would handle the pressure? Give me a break. What a joke!
Offline wpr  
#116 Posted : Monday, December 17, 2012 1:06:09 PM(UTC)
wpr

Rank: Hall of Famer

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States
Joined: 8/8/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 3,152
Applause Received: 1,522

Originally Posted by: doddpower Go to Quoted Post
I'm not getting the continued confidence, either. I can get it to a point, but where does it end? How many kicks does he have to miss until another option is looked into it? It just doesn't make sense. I basically see what Mike McCarthy is saying as "No matter how bad Crosby is and regardless of how many kicks he misses, he will be our kicker for the entire season and playoffs." Where's the accountability? Competition? At this point, it just seems like the guy is being hung out to dry with every kick. I want a kicker that is dependable from 40-45 yards and closer. I don't really care if he's not that good outside of that. If we're out of his range, we have a potent offense to go for it on forth down, or simply punt and pin them deep. It's not like having a strong leg kicker is giving us any advantage at this point, as it is.

Repeatedly stating "he has to make those kicks" after multiple misses is meaningless. He has to make those kicks, or what? At this point, there is no or what. Status quo. It's truly surprising. Does anyone really believe if a game or especially a playoff game was a on the line, Crosby would handle the pressure? Give me a break. What a joke!


He can't do any worse than he already has done in regards to handling the pressure.
UserPostedImage

"Will you follow me, one last time?" Thorin Oakenshield
Offline PackFanWithTwins  
#117 Posted : Monday, December 17, 2012 1:15:49 PM(UTC)
PackFanWithTwins

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

Joined: 9/26/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 13
Applause Received: 398

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool Go to Quoted Post
I noticed Crosby doesn't seem to follow through on his kicks. I'm not sure if its something new or something I just noticed a month or so ago because of the shankatrophic kicks. I was always taught to follow through, be it kicking, punching, throwing, punting, golf swing, etc...


He follows through about the same as most kickers today. You don't see a high leg kick follow through like a punter because of the side step. Jason hanson has the highest I can think of and his is still about belly high.

this week has been the first time he just seemed to purely miss. The first was simply a pushed attempt. Looked like the kicker version of Not keeping his head down. Where he previous misses where knuckle balls. The second miss was probably over compensation.
The world needs ditch diggers to Danny!!!
UserPostedImage
Offline Yerko  
#118 Posted : Monday, December 17, 2012 1:30:23 PM(UTC)
Yerko

Rank: 2nd Round Draft Pick

Joined: 10/15/2008(UTC)
Location: Chicago, IL

Applause Given: 160
Applause Received: 261

I can only draw one conclusion from the Packers continually having Crosby's back...

Crosby has obscene pictures of McCarthy from post Super Bowl celebration 2 years ago. Whistle
UserPostedImage
Offline wpr  
#119 Posted : Monday, December 17, 2012 1:55:26 PM(UTC)
wpr

Rank: Hall of Famer

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States
Joined: 8/8/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 3,152
Applause Received: 1,522

Originally Posted by: Yerko Go to Quoted Post
I can only draw one conclusion from the Packers continually having Crosby's back...

Crosby has obscene pictures of McCarthy from post Super Bowl celebration 2 years ago. Whistle


If it is a SB celebration all is forgiven.
UserPostedImage

"Will you follow me, one last time?" Thorin Oakenshield
thanks Post received 1 applause.
Yerko on 12/17/2012(UTC)
Offline doddpower  
#120 Posted : Monday, December 17, 2012 2:03:24 PM(UTC)
DoddPower

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2011

United States
Joined: 9/24/2007(UTC)
Location: Visalia, CA

Applause Given: 2,093
Applause Received: 530

Originally Posted by: wpr Go to Quoted Post
He can't do any worse than he already has done in regards to handling the pressure.


Exactly, which is horrible and should be unacceptable, imo. I just don't see how anyone on the team could have any faith in him making crucial kicks in the playoffs, including himself. I just don't get how they stick with that. At the absolute very least, they should have been trying out kickers for a few weeks now. Doing nothing seems like somethings that's going to come back to haunt the Packers sooner rather than later.

Offline SINCITYCHEEZE  
#121 Posted : Monday, December 17, 2012 2:13:54 PM(UTC)
SINCITYCHEEZE

Rank: 5th Round Draft Pick

United States
Joined: 8/7/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 162
Applause Received: 110

Tomorrow is tryout Tuesday.Let's hope they bring in some bodies for a look see. Just to have some options and maybe light a fire under "Missing" Crosby ass.
Wisconsin Born, Packer Bred
UserPostedImage
Offline Zero2Cool  
#122 Posted : Monday, December 17, 2012 3:56:37 PM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Rank: Legend

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States
Joined: 10/13/2006(UTC)
Location: Green Bay, WI

Applause Given: 1,968
Applause Received: 2,226

Much to the dismay of many ... there is not a better Kicker available. Packers are stuck with Mason Crosby.
"I do not think there is any thrill that can go through the human heart like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything." - Nikola Tesla

UserPostedImage
Offline musccy  
#123 Posted : Monday, December 17, 2012 4:31:17 PM(UTC)
musccy

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

Joined: 5/7/2009(UTC)
Location: Pennsylvania

Applause Given: 251
Applause Received: 234

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool Go to Quoted Post
Much to the dismay of many ... there is not a better Kicker available. Packers are stuck with Mason Crosby.


He is literally the worst kicker on any nfl team right now, and statistically, by an appreciable amount.
Offline buckeyepackfan  
#124 Posted : Monday, December 17, 2012 4:52:51 PM(UTC)
buckeyepackfan

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2012Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2014

Joined: 8/7/2008(UTC)
Location: Lima, Ohio

Applause Given: 355
Applause Received: 457

Somebody mentioned Billy Kundoff as being the only kicker with worse stats than Mason this year.

Yet when Chicago needed a kicker last week he was one of 3 or 4 guys who was invited to try out.

Obviously the opnions that count have decided Crosby is The Packers best option moving forward.

Hell if they got rid of Crosby, then who would people have to gripe about?

Now if Al Del Greco "The greatest football player ever" was available I'd be sayin' bye bye Mason!!!!

Message modified by user Monday, December 17, 2012 6:25:07 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Enjoy the ride – It kicks and just keeps on kickin’. "Stats are for Losers"
Offline macbob  
#125 Posted : Monday, December 17, 2012 5:46:59 PM(UTC)
macbob

Rank: 2nd Round Draft Pick

Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Silver: 2012

Joined: 10/12/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 304
Applause Received: 252

Originally Posted by: PackerTraxx Go to Quoted Post
Why doesn't he spend some time with the "kicking Guru". I can't recall his name - maybe Sailor? I mean the guy earns a million plus, wouldn't it be worth thousands to protect that job? I like Crosby because he's not a complainer, keeps plugging and especially his let strength. But results are what count.


Why? Because Slocum does a lot of research and has had a career of coaching special teams:

http://www.jsonline.com/...s-fh7n94k-180077441.html

Slocum wrote:
Slocum scoffed at the notion of bringing in a kicking specialist.

"No. I do a lot of research," he said. "I think I can coach kickers with anybody. I do all that type of research. I have a career of coaching, coaching special teams; I don't feel a need to do that."
UserPostedImage
thanks Post received 1 applause.
nerdmann on 12/17/2012(UTC)
Rss Feed 
Users browsing this topic
Guest
6 Pages«<3456>
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Notification

Icon
Error

Tweeter

Recent Topics
20m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Smokey

2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / yooperfan

2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / uffda udfa

2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dyeah_gb

2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / polargrizz

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / porky88

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / warhawk

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Rios39

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

25-Nov / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

24-Nov / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

24-Nov / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

24-Nov / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

24-Nov / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Nov / Green Bay Packers Talk / DoddPower