Green Bay Packers Forum

Welcome to your Green Bay Packers Online Community!

Since 2006, PackersHome has been providing a unique experience for fans.
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline warhawk  
#1 Posted : Monday, December 17, 2012 2:08:35 PM(UTC)

Applause Given: 2
Applause Received: 286
The Packers are in now and getting ready for the "second season." So how does the Pack compare to last year when they were considered the team to beat....and then went one and done.

Personally, I think we are are more playoff ready team this year over last year for several reasons.

Last year we never had our back to the wall in a must win situation until the Giants game really. This year they had to suck it up early and often after a bumpy start.

The defense has continued to improve with a young defensive backfield that gets better and better. Last year they kept talking about the D needing to get better but it never happened.

At least with CM3 in there we have a pass rush. Last year that was MIA.

The offense has seen an abundance of Cover 2 and while this keeps down the big score opportunities Rodgers and the offense is doing a good job of being patient and getting what they can when they can.I think Rodgers and the Pack are doing a good job of this vs. forcing what they would like to do.

The Pack is getting healthy at the right time and I think the players heads are more in tune with what's in front of them and when the post season kicks in they will remember what one and done felt like

That can't hurt our chances either.

Offline SINCITYCHEEZE  
#2 Posted : Monday, December 17, 2012 2:22:15 PM(UTC)

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Bronze: 2015

United States
Applause Given: 179
Applause Received: 112
I think how they handle the next two games will be a tell tale sign.They have playoff seeding to play for and a chance to sweep the division 2 years in a row. They now have the luxury of bringing back some players from injury and ease them back in the flow before the playoffs start.
Offline TheKanataThrilla  
#3 Posted : Monday, December 17, 2012 2:31:20 PM(UTC)

Canada
Applause Given: 473
Applause Received: 500
Mason Crosby needs to get his shit together. Not having a field goal kicker going into the playoffs that can kick anything over 40 yards is a something we need to address.
Online wpr  
#4 Posted : Monday, December 17, 2012 2:40:28 PM(UTC)

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2014FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

Applause Given: 3,799
Applause Received: 1,932
TheKanataThrilla said: Go to Quoted Post
Mason Crosby needs to get his shit together. Not having a field goal kicker going into the playoffs that can kick anything over 40 yards is a something we need to address.

I am not overly upset with his issues. It has forced Mike to run more plays. Aaron has gotten them the first down and subsequently the TD more times than not. That said I would feel more comfortable if the kicker could actually do the job he is being paid to do.
Offline DakotaT  
#5 Posted : Monday, December 17, 2012 3:17:43 PM(UTC)

United States
Applause Given: 1,049
Applause Received: 2,116
Good topic Warhawk - BTW, ice fishing season has started. Anyway, we are more battle tested this year as was the case in 2010. Last year we became overhyped pussies, and got punched hard by the Giants and couldn't get up.
Offline Porforis  
#6 Posted : Monday, December 17, 2012 3:22:11 PM(UTC)

United States
Applause Given: 298
Applause Received: 573
We're definitely more balanced, and we have more experience with winning close games and overcoming diversity.

However, that balance thing is both good and bad - The defense is much better but the offense is not the overwhelming force it was last year. Any year, it just comes down to execution. If we come out flat, we're one and done. If we come out rolling, we can go on a run. Which is part of why I'm not sure we even want the #2 seed.
Offline play2win  
#7 Posted : Monday, December 17, 2012 3:22:40 PM(UTC)

United States
Applause Given: 1,076
Applause Received: 724
I think our team is in an entirely different place this year. McCarthy did his due diligence in analyzing what went right last year, and what went wrong. The latter consisted mostly of important players wearing down from too many reps. This season we've seen a number of players jump into the lineup due to injuries, and they've had a chance to develop, with McCarthy not having to rush starters back onto the field. The depth is improved, the overall health looks to be improved, and I think the team, in general, is in a better place than last year going into the playoffs.

I agree with SINCITYCHEEZE that the next two games will tell us a lot. We should be looking at both as must wins, as we must keep whatever distance we can between us and SEA. Would be great to steal the #2 seed away from SF, but that is looking highly improbable.

We shall see.
Offline play2win  
#8 Posted : Monday, December 17, 2012 3:24:03 PM(UTC)

United States
Porforis said: Go to Quoted Post
We're definitely more balanced, and we have more experience with winning close games and overcoming diversity.

However, that balance thing is both good and bad - The defense is much better but the offense is not the overwhelming force it was last year. Any year, it just comes down to execution. If we come out flat, we're one and done. If we come out rolling, we can go on a run. Which is part of why I'm not sure we even want the #2 seed.

The thing for me is I want to be in GB if we were to face SF or SEA in the playoffs. Plain and simple.
Offline DakotaT  
#9 Posted : Monday, December 17, 2012 3:31:27 PM(UTC)

United States
Applause Given: 1,049
Applause Received: 2,116
play2win said: Go to Quoted Post
Would be great to steal the #2 seed away from SF, but that is looking highly improbable.

We shall see.

Why is it improbable? We can certainly win both our games and the 9ers have a dogfight in Seattle this weekend. We are only .5 game behind because of their buy. I would argue it is very probable that we get the #2 seed.
Offline play2win  
#10 Posted : Monday, December 17, 2012 3:46:53 PM(UTC)

United States
Hey DakotaT, you are right that it is possible, but I doubt "very probable" based upon the way SF handled NE on their own turf. It is possible though, as SEA is playing at about an equally high level, and could beat SF. That would be great, IMO. I do not want for us to have to go to either one of those teams to face them on their turf in the playoffs.
Rss Feed