Join Our Green Bay Packers Interactive Community!

We have been providing fans with the best source of Packers information since 2006!
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline warhawk  
#1 Posted : Monday, December 17, 2012 2:08:35 PM(UTC)
warhawk

Rank: 3rd Round Draft Pick

Joined: 8/7/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 1
Applause Received: 220

The Packers are in now and getting ready for the "second season." So how does the Pack compare to last year when they were considered the team to beat....and then went one and done.

Personally, I think we are are more playoff ready team this year over last year for several reasons.

Last year we never had our back to the wall in a must win situation until the Giants game really. This year they had to suck it up early and often after a bumpy start.

The defense has continued to improve with a young defensive backfield that gets better and better. Last year they kept talking about the D needing to get better but it never happened.

At least with CM3 in there we have a pass rush. Last year that was MIA.

The offense has seen an abundance of Cover 2 and while this keeps down the big score opportunities Rodgers and the offense is doing a good job of being patient and getting what they can when they can.I think Rodgers and the Pack are doing a good job of this vs. forcing what they would like to do.

The Pack is getting healthy at the right time and I think the players heads are more in tune with what's in front of them and when the post season kicks in they will remember what one and done felt like

That can't hurt our chances either.


"The train is leaving the station."
Offline SINCITYCHEEZE  
#2 Posted : Monday, December 17, 2012 2:22:15 PM(UTC)
SINCITYCHEEZE

Rank: 5th Round Draft Pick

United States
Joined: 8/7/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 162
Applause Received: 110

I think how they handle the next two games will be a tell tale sign.They have playoff seeding to play for and a chance to sweep the division 2 years in a row. They now have the luxury of bringing back some players from injury and ease them back in the flow before the playoffs start.
Wisconsin Born, Packer Bred
UserPostedImage
Offline TheKanataThrilla  
#3 Posted : Monday, December 17, 2012 2:31:20 PM(UTC)
TheKanataThrilla

Rank: 4th Round Draft Pick

Canada
Joined: 9/8/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 140
Applause Received: 111

Mason Crosby needs to get his shit together. Not having a field goal kicker going into the playoffs that can kick anything over 40 yards is a something we need to address.
"Stumbling from one disaster to another" Lost Together (Blue Rodeo)
Offline wpr  
#4 Posted : Monday, December 17, 2012 2:40:28 PM(UTC)
wpr

Rank: Hall of Famer

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States
Joined: 8/8/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 3,024
Applause Received: 1,463

Originally Posted by: TheKanataThrilla Go to Quoted Post
Mason Crosby needs to get his shit together. Not having a field goal kicker going into the playoffs that can kick anything over 40 yards is a something we need to address.


I am not overly upset with his issues. It has forced Mike to run more plays. Aaron has gotten them the first down and subsequently the TD more times than not. That said I would feel more comfortable if the kicker could actually do the job he is being paid to do.

UserPostedImage

Offline DakotaT  
#5 Posted : Monday, December 17, 2012 3:17:43 PM(UTC)
DakotaT

Rank: Super Bowl MVP

Joined: 8/18/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 661
Applause Received: 1,360

Good topic Warhawk - BTW, ice fishing season has started. Anyway, we are more battle tested this year as was the case in 2010. Last year we became overhyped pussies, and got punched hard by the Giants and couldn't get up.
UserPostedImage
Offline Porforis  
#6 Posted : Monday, December 17, 2012 3:22:11 PM(UTC)
Porforis

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

United States
Joined: 8/22/2009(UTC)
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Applause Given: 169
Applause Received: 333

We're definitely more balanced, and we have more experience with winning close games and overcoming diversity.

However, that balance thing is both good and bad - The defense is much better but the offense is not the overwhelming force it was last year. Any year, it just comes down to execution. If we come out flat, we're one and done. If we come out rolling, we can go on a run. Which is part of why I'm not sure we even want the #2 seed.
UserPostedImage
Offline play2win  
#7 Posted : Monday, December 17, 2012 3:22:40 PM(UTC)
play2win

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

United States
Joined: 3/29/2012(UTC)
Location: Milwaukee

Applause Given: 1,076
Applause Received: 725

I think our team is in an entirely different place this year. McCarthy did his due diligence in analyzing what went right last year, and what went wrong. The latter consisted mostly of important players wearing down from too many reps. This season we've seen a number of players jump into the lineup due to injuries, and they've had a chance to develop, with McCarthy not having to rush starters back onto the field. The depth is improved, the overall health looks to be improved, and I think the team, in general, is in a better place than last year going into the playoffs.

I agree with SINCITYCHEEZE that the next two games will tell us a lot. We should be looking at both as must wins, as we must keep whatever distance we can between us and SEA. Would be great to steal the #2 seed away from SF, but that is looking highly improbable.

We shall see.
Offline play2win  
#8 Posted : Monday, December 17, 2012 3:24:03 PM(UTC)
play2win

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

United States
Joined: 3/29/2012(UTC)
Location: Milwaukee

Applause Given: 1,076
Applause Received: 725

Originally Posted by: Porforis Go to Quoted Post
We're definitely more balanced, and we have more experience with winning close games and overcoming diversity.

However, that balance thing is both good and bad - The defense is much better but the offense is not the overwhelming force it was last year. Any year, it just comes down to execution. If we come out flat, we're one and done. If we come out rolling, we can go on a run. Which is part of why I'm not sure we even want the #2 seed.


The thing for me is I want to be in GB if we were to face SF or SEA in the playoffs. Plain and simple.
Offline DakotaT  
#9 Posted : Monday, December 17, 2012 3:31:27 PM(UTC)
DakotaT

Rank: Super Bowl MVP

Joined: 8/18/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 661
Applause Received: 1,360

Originally Posted by: play2win Go to Quoted Post
Would be great to steal the #2 seed away from SF, but that is looking highly improbable.

We shall see.


Why is it improbable? We can certainly win both our games and the 9ers have a dogfight in Seattle this weekend. We are only .5 game behind because of their buy. I would argue it is very probable that we get the #2 seed.
UserPostedImage
Offline play2win  
#10 Posted : Monday, December 17, 2012 3:46:53 PM(UTC)
play2win

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

United States
Joined: 3/29/2012(UTC)
Location: Milwaukee

Applause Given: 1,076
Applause Received: 725

Hey DakotaT, you are right that it is possible, but I doubt "very probable" based upon the way SF handled NE on their own turf. It is possible though, as SEA is playing at about an equally high level, and could beat SF. That would be great, IMO. I do not want for us to have to go to either one of those teams to face them on their turf in the playoffs.
Offline musccy  
#11 Posted : Monday, December 17, 2012 4:27:58 PM(UTC)
musccy

Rank: 1st Round Draft Pick

Joined: 5/7/2009(UTC)
Location: Pennsylvania

Applause Given: 242
Applause Received: 232

I don't mean to be a debbie downer, but since the giants last year, the packers have still demonstrated an inability to move the ball against a stout front four, the'9ers whipped the pack at home, ans the giants game just 3 weeks ago was one of the worst losses in years for the franchise. I don't know that they're any better equipped going in than last year.
Offline nerdmann  
#12 Posted : Monday, December 17, 2012 6:40:56 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Rank: Super Bowl MVP

Joined: 9/14/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 2,624
Applause Received: 651

I like our chances against anybody. ANYBODY.

In '09 we were eliminated from the playoffs on a technicality.

In '10 we won it all.

In '11, we were depleted on defense and the offensive coordinator's son died days before the game.

In my mind, that's all that has kept us from a threepeating.

If we do not go all the way this year, it will be an upset, IMHO. The only reason we don't have the second seed right now is due to the FAIL MARY game. Now also calculate that we started Jarrett Bush against the Niners.

Our other two losses were against the Colts and Giants, both teams playing at home with an extra bye week to rest up. That is a distinct advantage in the NFL, and one that may be repeated in the playoffs.

Still, I like our chances.

DEFENSE: Definitely improved over last year, even with all the injury losses.

OFFENSE: Aaron Rodgers still refuses to let go of his stat whoring ways and adhere to WCO fundamentals, but the Packers now also have a competent (and potentially explosive, IMHO) running game. It seemed to me that the Bares were actually bringing safeties up at times yesterday. It just seems to me that IF Aaron can play within fundamentals, move the chains and dominate time of possession, the offense will be dominant again. However, even though he continues to feel irresistably compelled to go deep way too damn often, the run game still helps this offense get it done. And with fewer drops this year, I like the Packers chances.

Defenses know how to beat us. Play cover two to prevent the big play. Force Aaron to get bored moving the chains and let him start "pulling a Favre" and throwing deep all the time. Once Aaron mans up and starts practicing what everyone is preaching to Finley, we'll be back on track.

If the OC's family can manage to stay alive for the next two months, I think we could really go places.

SPECIAL TEAMS: Crosby has two games to get it together. I do think he's earned the chance. But make no mistake. Ted's got a rolodex with names in it.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline nerdmann  
#13 Posted : Monday, December 17, 2012 6:43:09 PM(UTC)
nerdmann

Rank: Super Bowl MVP

Joined: 9/14/2008(UTC)

Applause Given: 2,624
Applause Received: 651

Originally Posted by: nerdmann Go to Quoted Post
I like our chances against anybody. ANYBODY.

In '09 we were eliminated from the playoffs on a technicality.

In '10 we won it all.

In '11, we were depleted on defense and the offensive coordinator's son died days before the game.

In my mind, that's all that has kept us from a threepeating.

If we do not go all the way this year, it will be an upset, IMHO. The only reason we don't have the second seed right now is due to the FAIL MARY game. Now also calculate that we started Jarrett Bush against the Niners.

Our other two losses were against the Colts and Giants, both teams playing at home with an extra bye week to rest up. That is a distinct advantage in the NFL, and one that may be repeated in the playoffs.

Still, I like our chances.

DEFENSE: Definitely improved over last year, even with all the injury losses.

OFFENSE: Aaron Rodgers still refuses to let go of his stat whoring ways and adhere to WCO fundamentals, but the Packers now also have a competent (and potentially explosive, IMHO) running game. It seemed to me that the Bares were actually bringing safeties up at times yesterday. It just seems to me that IF Aaron can play within fundamentals, move the chains and dominate time of possession, the offense will be dominant again. However, even though he continues to feel irresistably compelled to go deep way too damn often, the run game still helps this offense get it done. And with fewer drops this year, I like the Packers chances.

Defenses know how to beat us. Play cover two to prevent the big play. Force Aaron to get bored moving the chains and let him start "pulling a Favre" and throwing deep all the time. Once Aaron mans up and starts practicing what everyone is preaching to Finley, we'll be back on track.

If the OC's family can manage to stay alive for the next two months, I think we could really go places.

SPECIAL TEAMS: Crosby has two games to get it together. I do think he's earned the chance. But make no mistake. Ted's got a rolodex with names in it.


“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Offline porky88  
#14 Posted : Monday, December 17, 2012 6:44:36 PM(UTC)
porky88

Rank: Pro Bowl

FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Gold: 2012Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2013Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2014

Joined: 4/26/2007(UTC)

Applause Given: 193
Applause Received: 394

Mentally, I think so. They've been through a lot this year. The Seattle debacle tested their will, followed by several significant injuries. They've also learned to win ugly, which is something they didn't do last year.
thanks Post received 1 applause.
Pack93z on 12/17/2012(UTC)
Rss Feed 
Users browsing this topic
Guest
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Notification

Icon
Error

Tweeter

Recent Topics
51m / Green Bay Packers Talk / PackFanWithTwins

56m / Green Bay Packers Talk / PackFanWithTwins

1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / nerdmann

1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / nerdmann

1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / nerdmann

1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Laser Gunns

3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / yooperfan

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / nerdmann

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / DarkaneRules

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

19h / Green Bay Packers Talk / texaspackerbacker