Welcome to your Green Bay Packers Online Community!

Since 2006, PackersHome has been providing a unique experience for fans.
Your participation is greatly anticipated!
Login or Register.
2 Pages12>
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline CaliforniaCheez  
#1 Posted : Monday, December 17, 2012 5:48:01 AM(UTC)
CaliforniaCheez

Applause Given: 5
Applause Received: 130

Randall Cobb:

964 KOR yards
892 Receiving yards
253 PR yards
132 Rushing yards

2241 total yards 8 TD's.

So why is ESPN lobbying for some purple slimer for MVP?

The purple slimer has 1812 yards rushing and 211 yards receiving.
That's only 2023 yards; 10% less than Cobb.

Aaron Rodgers leads the league in QB rating and currently 2nd in TD passes with 32. He has 3588 passing yards and 248 rushing for 3836 total yards. He has 90% more yards than that purple slimer.

Why would ESPN lobby for some unproductive purple slimer nobody who can't get his team above an 8 win .500 season?
blank
Sponsor
Offline DakotaT  
#2 Posted : Monday, December 17, 2012 6:09:26 AM(UTC)
DakotaT

Applause Given: 637
Applause Received: 1,314

The only thing I wish they would comment on with those long runs of his is how pathetic the tackling in the NFL is. Jim Brown looked like that on a football field too, but he played in a league chock full of men that could routinely make an open field tackle.
UserPostedImage
thanks Post received 1 applause.
yooperfan on 12/17/2012(UTC)
Offline musccy  
#3 Posted : Monday, December 17, 2012 7:03:46 AM(UTC)
musccy

Applause Given: 194
Applause Received: 171

Kr yards skew the numbers. Anyone you put back there should get 20 y/att return. If the vikes put a.p. on k.r. he probably has 700-900 yards more to his total.

A.R. has had a great year, and yesterday epitomized why A.R. is so valuable with his scrambling ability in a failing pocket and, decision making, patience and incredible accuracy (25 yard seam pass to cobb, back shoulder td to jones). With that said, the vikes are AWFUL. He's 200 yards from setting an NFL record on an offense that sans harvin has only 1 other viable weapon for a defense to prepare for.
Offline DakotaT  
#4 Posted : Monday, December 17, 2012 7:21:56 AM(UTC)
DakotaT

Applause Given: 637
Applause Received: 1,314

Originally Posted by: musccy Go to Quoted Post
Kr yards skew the numbers. Anyone you put back there should get 20 y/att return. If the vikes put a.p. on k.r. he probably has 700-900 yards more to his total.

A.R. has had a great year, and yesterday epitomized why A.R. is so valuable with his scrambling ability in a failing pocket and, decision making, patience and incredible accuracy (25 yard seam pass to cobb, back shoulder td to jones). With that said, the vikes are AWFUL. He's 200 yards from setting an NFL record on an offense that sans harvin has only 1 other viable weapon for a defense to prepare for.

Actually, the Vikings quarterback is awful. Their offensive line is better than ours, the Allen/Greenway combination is arguably better than Matthews/Hawk, and their secondary is noticeably improved this season.

Edited by user Monday, December 17, 2012 7:33:40 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

UserPostedImage
Offline Porforis  
#5 Posted : Monday, December 17, 2012 7:24:46 AM(UTC)
Porforis

United States

Applause Given: 168
Applause Received: 333

Originally Posted by: CaliforniaCheez Go to Quoted Post
Randall Cobb:

964 KOR yards
892 Receiving yards
253 PR yards
132 Rushing yards

2241 total yards 8 TD's.

So why is ESPN lobbying for some purple slimer for MVP?

The purple slimer has 1812 yards rushing and 211 yards receiving.
That's only 2023 yards; 10% less than Cobb.

Aaron Rodgers leads the league in QB rating and currently 2nd in TD passes with 32. He has 3588 passing yards and 248 rushing for 3836 total yards. He has 90% more yards than that purple slimer.

Why would ESPN lobby for some unproductive purple slimer nobody who can't get his team above an 8 win .500 season?

Because without Cobb and taking into account the injuries we've had, the Packers would probably be an 8-8 team. Without APete, the Vikings would be about a 5-13 team at best. APete IS their offense and is on pace to break the single season rushing record. Thus, Adrian Peterson is far more valuable to the Vikings than Cobb is to the Packers.
UserPostedImage
Offline QCHuskerFan  
#6 Posted : Monday, December 17, 2012 10:54:11 AM(UTC)
QCHuskerFan

Applause Given: 70
Applause Received: 115

Should an MVP award go to a player whose team doesn't make the playoff's? Because the Vikes are doubtful.

I am not lobbying for Aaron Rodgers or Cobb. Or any other Packer. But the award is the Most Valuable Player. The Vikings will not be favored in either of their last 2 games and might likely finish 8-8 and out of the playoffs. If AP is made MVP, it means that he took a bad team and 'only' maybe them mediocre. I get that he is their only weapon. Don't care. In my opinion, the MVP needs to get his team to playoffs.
blank
thanks Post received 1 applause.
CaliforniaCheez on 12/17/2012(UTC)
Offline Zero2Cool  
#7 Posted : Monday, December 17, 2012 11:03:16 AM(UTC)
Zero2Cool

Yahoo! Fantasy Football - Gold: 2009FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Silver: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Silver: 2011ESPN NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2010Yahoo! NCAA March Madness - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 1,868
Applause Received: 2,044

The Packers wouldn't have lost more games without Randall Cobb. Aaron Rodgers, yes. Randall Cobb, no.

There is not a Packers player who is having a MVP type season. End of discussion.
UserPostedImage
Offline musccy  
#8 Posted : Monday, December 17, 2012 11:04:55 AM(UTC)
musccy

Originally Posted by: QCHuskerFan Go to Quoted Post
Should an MVP award go to a player whose team doesn't make the playoff's? Because the Vikes are doubtful.

I am not lobbying for Aaron Rodgers or Cobb. Or any other Packer. But the award is the Most Valuable Player. The Vikings will not be favored in either of their last 2 games and might likely finish 8-8 and out of the playoffs. If AP is made MVP, it means that he took a bad team and 'only' maybe them mediocre. I get that he is their only weapon. Don't care. In my opinion, the MVP needs to get his team to playoffs.

If the Lions during their 0-16 year had some player that single-handedly raised their record to 7-9, would he not warrant strong consideration for MVP? I don't know how you determine how many wins someone is responsible for, but point being if you're the most valuable to your team, you should be considered regardless of record or team standing.

Offline Porforis  
#9 Posted : Monday, December 17, 2012 11:05:22 AM(UTC)
Porforis

United States

Applause Given: 168
Applause Received: 333

Should an MVP award go to a player whose team doesn't make the playoff's?

What is the point of the MVP award? If you have a player that single-handedly turns a team from a 3-13 team to a team that barely misses the playoff, is he less worthy of the award just because someone else who isn't as vital to the team happens to be on a better team that makes the playoffs?

MVP = Most Valuable Player. I cannot see a single player in the leauge as important to his team as Adrian Peterson. Their defense is okay, but they CANNOT move the ball. Ponder can't do squat, everyone but Persey Harvin is a joke, and their O Line is average. With an average RB they'd be the bottomfeeders of the NFL.
UserPostedImage
Offline QCHuskerFan  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, December 18, 2012 2:14:15 PM(UTC)
QCHuskerFan

Applause Given: 70
Applause Received: 115

Don't forget. AP played most of last year on that 3-13 team. He rushed for almost 1000 yards in just 12 games so it was a decent year for him. He only missed 4 games. So if they go 8-8 this year, they have improved 5 games. In large part due to him.

The Broncos are likely to go 13-3 this year. Anybody think they go even 8-8 with Osweiler or Hanie as the QB? So Payton made them at least 5 games better than his possible replacement. Possible SB winner.

AP might be the Offensive POY. But MVP? No.

If the Packers win the SB and Josh Sitton has a perfect game, is he the SB MVP? No. Fair? Maybe not, but it's the way it is.
blank
Offline wpr  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, December 18, 2012 2:59:46 PM(UTC)
wpr

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 2,844
Applause Received: 1,370

Last I checked it is the MVP award not the MVPOATTMTP award. (Most Valuable Player On A Team That Makes The Playoffs.)

In times past they favored players from winning teams but as time goes by the tend to give it to the player who has the most outstanding season.
"You don't hurt 'em if you don't hit 'em." Chesty Puller

UserPostedImage

Offline wpr  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, December 18, 2012 3:01:46 PM(UTC)
wpr

PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2012PackersHome NFL Pick'em - Gold: 2013FleaFlicker Fantasy Football - Bronze: 2013

United States

Applause Given: 2,844
Applause Received: 1,370

As long as we are playing with numbers- I predict after returning the kickoffs AP would be so winded he would miss 1-2 every time or not run as effectively and thus his yards from scrimmage would be reduced by 700-900. Big Grin
"You don't hurt 'em if you don't hit 'em." Chesty Puller

UserPostedImage

Offline Gaycandybacon  
#13 Posted : Wednesday, December 19, 2012 4:59:22 PM(UTC)
Gaycandybacon

United States

Applause Given: 145
Applause Received: 174

Who cares who gets MVP. It's all about winning games. If you listen to the players all they want is to go to the super bowl. Hell Chris Johnson had 2000 yards and he didn't get MVP. His team was shit too. He probably wanted to make that post season more than 2000 yards. It could be the same exact thing too with the queens, they go 8-8 with nothing but a good running back. Christian Ponder/Vince Young.

Edited by user Wednesday, December 19, 2012 5:13:28 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Gaycandybacon  
#14 Posted : Wednesday, December 19, 2012 5:05:13 PM(UTC)
Gaycandybacon

United States

Applause Given: 145
Applause Received: 174

It's acutally quite hard to play running back and or reciever while playing kick off return and punt return. I don't think AP could put up the same amount of numbers if he ran the ball and returned kicks or punts. You take some big hits man, it wares you down.

I'd only give AP the vote because he tore his ACL and didn't miss a game this season. Also Peyton Manning missed the entire season last year then makes a 8-8 team to a 11-3 team. Probably Peyton gets it.
Offline musccy  
#15 Posted : Wednesday, December 19, 2012 5:47:08 PM(UTC)
musccy

Originally Posted by: Gaycandybacon Go to Quoted Post
It's acutally quite hard to play running back and or reciever while playing kick off return and punt return. I don't think AP could put up the same amount of numbers if he ran the ball and returned kicks or punts. You take some big hits man, it wares you down.

I'd only give AP the vote because he tore his ACL and didn't miss a game this season. Also Peyton Manning missed the entire season last year then makes a 8-8 team to a 11-3 team. Probably Peyton gets it.

My point is merely that Cobb is put in a situation where he SHOULD get ~1,000 all purpose yards in a season via returns, an "opportunity" that players like AP aren't put in to accumulate those stats.

Focusing on all purpose yards, to me, is a little like rating kickers based solely on total points. If you're on an offense that scores a lot of touchdowns, you're getting some "freebee" points each game to pad the stats along with a few field goals. It doesn't necessarily make you a better kicker than someone on an anemic offense. Same with KR/PR yards in an all purpose yardage comparison. If you have the opportunity to do that, you SHOULD be getting an extra 50-125 yards/game.
Rss Feed